PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Gaming Moments (Spoilers?)

VeloZer0
06-13-2010, 04:43 PM
This is a totaly rip off of Laddy's thread. While I was racking my brain for what I felt were the most powerful video game moments my brain started drifting to some of the more memorable other moments in my gaming history.

What moments have made you think "oh man, this is going to be awesome!" This isn't so much about which parts were the funnest, but those moments when you get to see or do something that you think is going to be super cool. (Bonus points for those of you who remember being super excited about something that turned out to suck)(And more bonus points for having a play by play of what you were thinking)

Mega Man X3
A minute or so into the first level X meets up with one of his old comrade who *gasp* turns out to be a traitor and captures X and beams out. The screen keeps panning along to the next room and sits there for a few seconds and I'm thinking "ok, so now what?".
Cue awesome theme music and Zero breaks in through the roof. "OMG! I get to play as Zero now! Best game ever!" Too bad it only lasted for about a minute or two of the first level until I saved X.

Chrono Trigger
Magus actual joined my party?! Sweet.

Eh, I though I had more but they all kind of evaporated between the two threads.

Vyk
06-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Hm... Hacking Baldur's Gate and becoming a dragon was pretty awesome. I suppose the same could be said for taking DOWN dragons later on

There was a fairly unfair glitch in the Shining Force games where casting a heal spell gauranteed you experience. Casting aura (a mass heal spell) gauranteed a lot of experience. I had a huge tolerance for monotony as a kid and would just bring in a healer or two into battle and just sit there and heal until their magic was gone and leave the battle and come back. And got one of my monks in SF2 so powerful she could take on the whole battle map alone. And took out the end boss in two hits. That was pethetically funny and awesome

Besting the rocket powered Metal Sonic in a speed match was pretty awesome. Showed him who's boss back when Sonic games were actually good. And Sonic CD is usually considered the best by anyone who's actually had a chance to play it :]

Mo-Nercy
06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
I love the pacing in all the Ace Attorney games. Every OBJECTION! seems more epic than the last. The most awesome contradictions are the ones that aren't super obvious, but actually take a little bit of logic and memory to work out. Then you're just tapping the screen furiously thinking "c'mon! Court Record NOW! Let's end this mothersmurfer!"

Greatermaximus
06-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I beat the computer on Emperor level of civilization while they're starting to learn railroad. I have future tech 255 and I'm at the year 2000.

Cid joins you on FF Tactics.

I discover a trick on GE in the jungle to beat Xenia faster and achieve a WR.

Obtaining a power Esper like Crusader and/or Ragnarok on FF VI and successfully stealing and beating a Bracosaur.

Suikojowy
06-14-2010, 02:41 AM
I love the pacing in all the Ace Attorney games. Every OBJECTION! seems more epic than the last. The most awesome contradictions are the ones that aren't super obvious, but actually take a little bit of logic and memory to work out. Then you're just tapping the screen furiously thinking "c'mon! Court Record NOW! Let's end this mothersmurfer!"

In my mind I always think "HELL YEAH!" when those things happen.

An awesome gaming moment for me was in Chrono Trigger when Frog unlocks the power of the Masamune to split the mountain

Markus. D
06-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Any and all of Ellis' monologues in Left 4 Dead 2.

Madame Adequate
06-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Halo. Assault on the Control Room. That loooong assed cavern that leads back up to the surface after you've had to go underground and cross that big chasm, usually using a scorpion. This was in co-op, btw.

I take out a grunt and jackal patrolling the cavern with my sniper rifle, then I zoom in on one that is quite a ways up it. I says to Barry Manilow I says, "I bet I can bounce a bullet off his shield and through his skull." and, just as he scoffs at my hubris, I do exactly that.

Arguably my finest hour.

The Man
06-14-2010, 04:01 AM
The battle against Luca Blight in Suikoden II was a major one because of how epic it was.

Also if I listed all the moments from Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger that qualified here I'd probably never finish my post, but I will say that from the last of those, the whole 12,000 BC time frame was possibly my favourite part of the game.

VeloZer0
06-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Kingdom Hearts 2: Goofy seemingly dies
:lol: I forgot about that.

Except it goes in my awesome bin instead of powerful. Not being a Disney fan I was glad to see him go, and having Mickey run off swearing vengeance and getting to fight along side a cast of FF characters instead was so much better. I was majorly disappointed when it turned out he was alive.

Vermachtnis
06-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Digimon World 3 - Going to the satellite. It was so awesome when I was little. It was the final dungeon and the character pretty much alone at that point. And the Earth was threatened. So you go to a satellite above the real world to stop them. And there was bunch of annoying teleport puzzles and annoying bosses.

The entire fight against Galacticmon. To start things off, the Digimon you were going to fight fused with the final dungeon so you get to take out your frustration on the dungeon itself. And since it takes place in the real world out in space you can see the Earth when the camera pans around your team. Also the chest fires out a laser aimed at the Earth that your partner takes head on that leaves you with HP at the start of the final phase of the fight.

Pete for President
06-14-2010, 07:28 AM
MGS4: Gaining control over Metal Gear Rex and kicking Metal Gear Ray's metal behind.

blackmage_nuke
06-14-2010, 12:11 PM
MGS - When Liquid comes back after crushing his metal gear, pushing him off metal gear and blowing up his jeep.
KH2 - When Roxas gets two Keyblades
Chrono Trigger - Whenever someone learns a triple tech
Portal - That room with the REALLY high platforms near the end of the "official" testing area (theres still a sense of glee every time i reach that room)
Most Touhou games (particularly 7 and 11) - The prebattle dialouge with the final boss when the music starts

Things I thought would be awesome but werent:
KH2 - that 1000 heartless battle
MGS2 - the entire game after the tanker mission
FFX - Yu Yevon

Rase
06-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Battlefield Bad Company 1&2: There have been several times where someone has been driving a jeep at me and I was playing Demo. Just whip out my RPG, blow the mofo up, and watch as the jeep perfectly flips over me and crashes to the ground as I walk away.

Resident Evil 5: "BAH, I'M CHRIS REDFIELD, FUCK YOU BOULDER!"

Fallout 3: Lots of fun VATS kills that look badass, and then of course blowing up Megaton the first time was pretty sick. Also, Liberty Prime.

That's all I have off of the top of my head.

Slothy
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Multiplayer provides so many awesome moments.

A favourite of mine is from the original Day of Defeat. I can't remember which map it was on but my team was moving up from the middle of the map to take the next flag. As I came up to a choke point just before it I knew there were two paths around the corner and most of the enemy team tended to take one of them. I threw a grenade at my feet to prime it and picked it up. I ran around the corner and tossed it into the alley that their team was coming down only to see about eight guys coming at me. As soon as my Kar 98 came back up after throwing the grenade I fired off one shot before I died that went through the heads of two enemy players then died myself. As the kill cam focused on the guy who killed me though, three of them just stood there reloading and never noticed my grenade sitting at their feet. It went off, took out all three of them and in the span of about two seconds I had managed to kill half the enemy team. It was so awesome the other team even congratulated me on it.

Wolf Kanno
06-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Getting Tir McDohl, the main character of Suikoden 1 to join your party in Suikoden 2; and then the first time he's in your party, you see he is still as horribly broken and unbalanced as he was in the first game, especially with Riou in your party cause the two of them share Tir's kick ass combo attack with his master from Suikoden 1. This does not even include the fact his Soul Eater is still the cheapest True Rune in the series.

Having Rick Hunter join you for a mission to rescue Minmei in Robotech: BattleCry. I am such a nerd when it comes to Robotech and having both of the original VA's reprise the roles just made that whole mission kick ass and really feel like something out of the series. :D

When Joshua reveals his true powers in The World Ends With You and thus the 2D bloodbath begins...

Beating Armor Core 2 and finally having the ability to equip any combination without worrying about weight anymore. Not only was it fun to have both the Moonlight and Kurosawa weapons equipped at once on a light Core but being able to recreate some awesome Robots like my makeshift Alpha Weltall of doom....

Getting System Id and the Power Crisis in Xenogears, not to mention when Citan, the games broken as all hell character, suddenly reveals he's actually a swordsman and starts doing double damage with all his attacks from then on despite already being the games strongest character when he wasn't using weapons...

Planting C4 on guards in MGS1 with the stealth camo... never gets old...

Building a party composed of the Four (well three of the four) Horsemen of the Apocalypse in Shin Megami Tensei III.

When you finally get Dual Blade in Lufia 2 and Maxim suddenly becomes the games best character hands down (though some still argue Dekar could beat him).

Watching Georg Prime activate every single boost ability he has while counterattacking a boss that resulted in a critical hit and watching him K.O. one of the games final bosses who also happened to be highly resistant to physical attack in one single physical attack... Its not often you see damage in the four digits in the Suikoden series even more rare to see damage over 2000hp...

The entire Prague mission in MGS4, film noir at its finest.

Anytime you finally figure out how to take down a Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

Anytime you land wrestling move on a boss in No More Heroes... except Assassin No1... that hurts...

Toying with guards while you are dressed as Raikov in MGS3. Actually acquiring The End's Camo which involves sneaking up behind him and holding him up. Not an easy task...

Having Nyx Avatar Charm your parties healer and watching them cast Diarahan which fully restores this final bosses HP and then realising the game actually has a competent final boss. Part two of this is being a bored and thorough player who actually took the time to level up your main character and acquire his Ultimate Persona Messiah which quickly allows you to return the favor to the final boss...

The first time you see Galactic Punt in P4

Reading all 100 scary stories from the conversation piece in P2:EP

Hammer Brother suit in SMB3

Beating Star Road and making it Fall in SMW

Skyblade
06-16-2010, 06:26 PM
This is a totaly rip off of Laddy's thread. While I was racking my brain for what I felt were the most powerful video game moments my brain started drifting to some of the more memorable other moments in my gaming history.

What moments have made you think "oh man, this is going to be awesome!" This isn't so much about which parts were the funnest, but those moments when you get to see or do something that you think is going to be super cool. (Bonus points for those of you who remember being super excited about something that turned out to suck)(And more bonus points for having a play by play of what you were thinking)

Mega Man X3
A minute or so into the first level X meets up with one of his old comrade who *gasp* turns out to be a traitor and captures X and beams out. The screen keeps panning along to the next room and sits there for a few seconds and I'm thinking "ok, so now what?".
Cue awesome theme music and Zero breaks in through the roof. "OMG! I get to play as Zero now! Best game ever!" Too bad it only lasted for about a minute or two of the first level until I saved X.

Chrono Trigger
Magus actual joined my party?! Sweet.

Eh, I though I had more but they all kind of evaporated between the two threads.

Megaman X3 hint: Pause the game, and press one of the shoulder buttons. It should open up a comm system that lets you call out Zero. You can switch between Zero and X on almost any level, though only X can fight bosses. During one mini-boss fight, in fact, something special will happen to Zero, if you are playing as him...

And, yeah, Zero was awesome in that game. As was his theme music.

qwertysaur
06-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Destroying the Spanish empire in Civ 4 by getting EVERY single civilization on the map to declare war on them. :bigsmile:

Raistlin
06-17-2010, 12:05 AM
The battle against Luca Blight in Suikoden II was a major one because of how epic it was.

Getting Tir McDohl, the main character of Suikoden 1 to join your party in Suikoden 2; and then the first time he's in your party, you see he is still as horribly broken and unbalanced as he was in the first game, especially with Riou in your party cause the two of them share Tir's kick ass combo attack with his master from Suikoden 1. This does not even include the fact his Soul Eater is still the cheapest True Rune in the series.

Yes.

Getting some badass characters, even temporarily, in some games is pretty awesome: Orlandu (FFT) and Ghaleon (Lunar SSSC) come to mind.

Watching Georg Prime activate every single boost ability he has while counterattacking a boss that resulted in a critical hit and watching him K.O. one of the games final bosses who also happened to be highly resistant to physical attack in one single physical attack... Its not often you see damage in the four digits in the Suikoden series even more rare to see damage over 2000hp...

Georg is definitely a badass, but Richard is the king of that game. You think Tir and Soul Eater is cheap, well Richard and Firefly blows that out of the water. I remember being out of sorts in the final dungeon because my two parties that did not have Richard were actually taking damage from random battles.

VeloZer0
06-17-2010, 04:15 AM
I found out about that in MMX3 later, but playing as Zero was massively underwhelming with the only being able to play like 1/3 of a level at a time and only getting one life. (He warps out before the Bit/Byte boss rooms even if they aren't there :mad2:)

Slothy
06-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I found out about that in MMX3 later, but playing as Zero was massively underwhelming with the only being able to play like 1/3 of a level at a time and only getting one life. (He warps out before the Bit/Byte boss rooms even if they aren't there :mad2:)

Not to mention that should he die you miss out on being able to fully upgrade X.

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah but you get the better ending if you don't upgrade X...

Slothy
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Screw that, I want my Gold plated X. :D

Carl the Llama
06-18-2010, 04:05 AM
When you find out the truth about Boss in MGS3.

All the stealth boss kills in Assassins Creed.

When you see Raiden Kicking ass in MGS4.

The sword fight with Ganon in Wind Waker.

Greatermaximus
06-19-2010, 08:15 AM
The purpose of this thread is what 'you've' done to be awesome, not what was programmed to be awesome.

Since I understand the thread better. It happened over a decade ago in one of my first GE multiplayer. I thought we were doomed down in the temple with grenade launchers near the armor.

But to all of our surprise the least experienced player on my team (1 and 4 vs. 2 and 3.) got a double kill for us through all the explosions and commotions.

He stole 'my' moment. It happened fast too. It was cool and he said he was smart. ;)

I figure out how to fly with Lupus by accident in Jet Force Gemini during multi. I jump and hit 'c' again to plan ahead a double jump of some kind.

In GE multi number 2 had to kill 3 in multi so I wouldn't score the win in another game.

Any of my videos on youtube.

I might have reported this once on the net years ago. But one of the first times through Final Fantasy 3, I looped MagPwr. I had Relm exceed her 145 limit on the SNES version causing her Ultimas to deal 12-15 damage.

I've played newer games, but the older ones have heart. Halo simply has good graphics. On Brawl the most impressive thing I did was master Didi Kong on the first day and beat a level 9 computer on the second.

But the game is for ten-year olds imo.

VeloZer0
06-19-2010, 03:42 PM
The purpose of this thread is what 'you've' done to be awesome, not what was programmed to be awesome.
The purpose is just to share times you thought "this is going to be/is/was awesome". I was thinking of scripted scenarios when I made the thread, but personal experiences are completely in the same vein of thought.

black orb
06-20-2010, 12:14 AM
>>> FF9: when Garland appears..
Thats was my most awesome/exciting gaming moment..:luca:

Realm25
06-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Overlord - Rockin the Tower with Velvet in our bedroom!

Final Fantasy X - Defeating Jecht.

Pokemon Platinum Version - Catching Giratina with a regular pokeball on the first try, without doing ANY damage first.

Shiny
06-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Kingdom Hearts: When Mickey Mouse first appears and you hear the theme song M-O-U-S-E MICKEY MOUSE!

Red Dead Redemption: You arrive in Mexico for the first time and Far Away plays. It's like a scene out of a movie! Alternatively, when you go home to your family and Compass plays and then fades out as you get closer and closer to your ranch.

Metal Gear Solid 3: The amazing chase sequence whilst on Eva's bike.

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations: Jean Armstrong :)

Final Fantasy X: The opening FMV.

Vagrant
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
MGS4: The return to Shadow Moses was a masterful touch of storytelling and really hit home the power of the PS3.

Shadow of the Colossus: Spending hours trekking through empty wastelands with Agro trying to find the next Colossi.

Ico: The first time Yorda screams for help as the shadows crawl out of the ground, but I'm the other side of the map trying to negotiate a puzzle. So I'm racing back to rescue her with nothing but a piece of wood! Heart in mouth.

Fallout 3: I was reading The Stand at the same time so stepping out of Vault 101 and seeing the wastes of Washington nearly knocked me for six. Overwhelmed and immersed in an instant.

Tekken 3: Pulling off my first 10 move combo.

World of Warcraft: Milling around as a low level Paladin and experiencing a raid for the first time. I panicked like a baby.

FF7: When I finally left Midgar and entered the world map, that was a cool moment where I realised the enormity of the game.

FF8: The opening FMV is still my favourite of the series.

Pete for President
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Just running through the landscapes in Okami remains so so awesome. Especially during sunset. Nice touch.

Yue Kitsune
07-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Halo 3, i'm notorious amongst my friends for taking vehicles were they probly shouldn't go, lol, so that level were you take on the Scarabs with the 4-wheelers, i drive mine to the top of one of those cranes overlooking the battle and gun it right off the end and land on the scarab

Fallout3, first time i used the railroad gun. snuck up on that Pennyworth guy at the top of the hotel, *CHOOO CHOOOO head shot XD

most disapointing, i'd hafta agree 1000 heartless in KH2. i was all ready to hafta redo it at least twice, and i never got below half health. definetly shoulda been a reaction fight with nothing but former boss'