PDA

View Full Version : Birth By Sleep E3 Trailer

LowCaloriePie
06-15-2010, 06:44 PM
YouTube - Birth by Sleep, English trailer - E3 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBw_vZX0U&playnext_from=TL&videos=A7XBSU0KIas)

Some of the voices are hit-and-miss, but I'm definitely liking it. :)
Your thoughts?

SuperMillionaire
06-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow, great!

Aurey
06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Oh snap, Leonard Nimoy! The fighting sequences look really neat, too. I kind of wish I had a PSP for this, oh well.

qwertysaur
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
:hyper:

Del Murder
06-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Stitch! Looks awesome. Can't wait to play.

McLovin'
06-16-2010, 03:40 AM
SO PSYCHED!

qwertysaur
06-16-2010, 04:29 AM
I love how adorable Stitch is. That charm made me :bigsmile: when I saw it :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-16-2010, 05:40 AM
Can't wait for September 10th! :D

Pheesh
06-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Yeah, I'll probably be buying a PSP for this.

Which upon finishing I'll promptly sell and then grab a 3DS XD

Shlup
06-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Bunch of people beating the :bou::bou::bou::bou: outta each other with keys. I don't get this game.

Bunny
06-16-2010, 06:37 AM
The voice overs are horribly done in that trailer. I also don't understand the appeal of bad games.

Hythloday
06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't like that it's different characters (except Roxas)... I'm pretty skeptical. I'll probably wait for KH3.

Pheesh
06-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Pretty sure that isn't roxas, from the little that I know about the game.

I refuse to look it up for fear of spoilers though.

LowCaloriePie
06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't like that it's different characters (except Roxas)... I'm pretty skeptical. I'll probably wait for KH3.

No, it's just Nomura reusing designs again. :p

Hythloday
06-16-2010, 11:07 AM

No, it's just Nomura reusing designs again. :p

Why do I get the feeling this isn't going to advance the story...? like it's gonna end with someone waking up and being like "Oh, it was all a dream?".

Pheesh
06-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't think it will 'advance' the story, but it it's set in the past, right? So it's job is probably to give us glimpses at the past, and provide us with a few "ooohhhhh, now I get it" moments.

LowCaloriePie
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Having spoiled the entire game for myself, it does answer a few questions but there's a good number of "WTF?!?!?!?!" moments that you know they'll never explain.

qwertysaur
06-16-2010, 02:38 PM
It's a prequel. I've avoided any plot information so I don't know much, but in a scene of 358/2 days Xion takes his appearance to Xigbar and her appearance is based on the viewers memories so there is a connection there. Nomura has a habit of making two questions for every one he answers though so I expect a lot of ambiguity and confusion when I get to the end :p

SuperMillionaire
06-16-2010, 07:12 PM

His name is Ventus, and he does resemble Roxas.

Ouch!
06-17-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm having a chuckle at everyone who's regarding Birth by Sleep as inconsequential to the narrative.

BarelySeeAtAll
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Personally, I've never ever liked Disney. Hence I always thought, "what the eff was square thinking?" Never played any of the games so I can't really comment on gameplay etc, but I couldn't even watch more than two minutes of that trailer without feeling amazingly frustrated at both the voice acting and the soppy corniness of some star shaped fruit being something to do with friendship. From what I saw it looked kiddy, thrown together, and I hate the graphics.

:greenie: but that's just my opinion.

LowCaloriePie
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I hate the graphics.

Come again? :screwy:

Miriel
06-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Stitch!!!

Did you guys see Stitch? It's Stitch. Stiiiiiiitch. :heart:

Marshall Banana
06-17-2010, 09:10 PM
It's difficult to find accurate voice actors for old Disney characters, I guess -- especially Snow White. I have a Disney Princess CD with Snow White songs, and, even though the new voices of Snow White try to match Adriana Caselotti, they all fail!

I've always wanted a Kingdom Hearts game with more time for the princesses and their worlds, but I'm not really into the new characters, like the blue-haired girl and the Zack clone -- or the tenth incarnation of Ansem/Xehanort/Xemnas/whatever the heck his name is!

Del Murder
06-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Well this would actually be the first incarnation, since it's a prequel. :D

Marshall Banana
06-18-2010, 08:09 AM
A few hours ago, from a wiki, I read all about the guy, as well as the other characters in Birth By Sleep.

He...the plot...ugh. :mymelfacepalm:

Del Murder
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM
This makes me all the more excited to play it now.

G13
06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I've been waiting for this game since I beat KHII and saw the "trailer". From all the videos I've watched that scene looks like it's been dumbed down by gameplay graphics. I will be pretty upset if it is, but I'm still looking forward to playing this game. :monster:

Hythloday
06-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Yeah, so I guess they wear weird suits when they're in space?

Rad Bromance
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Someone on another board posted a spoiler screenshot that's so absurd, so utterly ridiculous and damning to the story of the previous games, that it kind of killed all interest I had in this game. Although I don't have a PSP and don't plan on getting one so unless emulation becomes an option in the future I don't see myself picking this one up.

I really wish SE would stop doing all these sequels and prequels and spinoffs of home console games on handhelds. They'd be getting more of my money if they'd stick to home consoles. I like being able to play on my big pretty tv.

Marshall Banana
06-19-2010, 09:49 PM
From what I read, it seems this game does, basically, rewrite the previous games.

BarelySeeAtAll
06-20-2010, 10:44 AM
I hate the graphics.

it's been dumbed down by gameplay graphics.

That was what I meant - YouTube - Full "KH: Birth By Sleep" HQ Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6dDoS1hS0) looks brilliant in terms of graphics, but I've always hated the looks of the KH gameplay graphics.

Personal opinion :p

Hythloday
06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I hate the graphics.

it's been dumbed down by gameplay graphics.

That was what I meant - YouTube - Full "KH: Birth By Sleep" HQ Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6dDoS1hS0) looks brilliant in terms of graphics, but I've always hated the looks of the KH gameplay graphics.

Personal opinion :p

wat?

Well, obviously that doesn't count as it isn't the in-game engine. Not to mention it's a clip from a game that hasn't come out yet. Cut-scenes never count.

Seriously though, the graphics of Kingdom Hearts in game is amazing. If you compare it to any other game on the PS2, you'll see they have damn near the best graphics. I'll stick by that statement. You may not like the style but if you blame KH for looking bad on the PS2, DS, or PSP... well idt there's hope for any game.

qwertysaur
06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Graphics do not make the game. They are a nice touch but when games make them top priority especially RPG's then I fear they will not be as much fun or will have serious flaws :(

BarelySeeAtAll
06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Seriously though, the graphics of Kingdom Hearts in game is amazing.

Like I said, personal opinion. I can't stand them, you think they're godly, we have different opinions!

Yeesh.

Sure graphics don't make the game, but if you can't stand the looks of them then you're not going to want to play the game. Besides, like I've already mentioned there are other factors which I tend to consider relatively important in decided whether or not to play the game.

Ouch!
06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Hythloday is merely pointing out a poor choice in diction. The graphics in the Kingdom Hearts titles for each of their respective consoles are typically very strong. This isn't really an issue that can be argued against as its quantifiable. You're confusing the quality of graphics with the art direction and style which utilizes those graphics. Graphic quality in a video game is typically an objective matter; style and art direction on the other hand are subjective. Kingdom Hearts tend to have pretty solid graphics behind it. Whether or not you like the Disney-cartoon style is another matter entirely. A game can have poor graphics and good art direction or fantastic graphics and poor art direction (the latter is a problem I find in many games these days; developers like to use too many damned shades of brown).

Short Answer: Don't confuse graphic quality with art direction.

Hythloday
06-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Seriously though, the graphics of Kingdom Hearts in game is amazing.

Like I said, personal opinion. I can't stand them, you think they're godly, we have different opinions!

Yeesh.

Sure graphics don't make the game, but if you can't stand the looks of them then you're not going to want to play the game. Besides, like I've already mentioned there are other factors which I tend to consider relatively important in decided whether or not to play the game.

It's kind of like someone just won a race, and you're saying "Yeah, well personally I don't like the way they ran". You can objectively state that someone won though.

I mean, what particularly bugs you? Yeah, style is subjective or whatnot, but in general you can objectively measure how realistically a game is rendered. When you say "the graphics", you're kinda referring to how realistic it is. I'm just saying objectively speaking, given the technology they produced the game on, these games are amazingly rendered the best of the consoles they were on.

If this were a game like Okami or, idk, dare I say Wind Waker? or any game with a definitive style I could understand you saying you don't like the way it looks. However, you must appreciate that the graphics were well done.

These games never let me down graphics wise. I remember for a couple of the boss fights I'd won there were times when I had ended the fight in Valor Form (the main characters outfit had changed in appearance), and there was talking afterward and even character interactions but throughout it Sora was still wearing the different outfit. It was like a true testament to how it was really the in-game engine being used.

But yeah, your opinion I don't mean to hijack this thread so I will stop babbling now.

Wolf Kanno
06-23-2010, 04:13 AM
I'm with people on the fact the VA work is pretty bad. Aqua sounds really terrible in the beginning of the trailer but got somewhat better as it went along. Terra sometimes sounds like he's doing a cold read and the lady playing the Fairy Godmother sounds like she is on some strong drugs. Though Leonard Nimoy does a pretty sound job.

Unlike most of the people here... KHII pretty much killed all my interest in Sora and what he's doing so I could care less if KHIII got canceled. On the other hand, I am very interested in tying up the loose ends with some of the mysteries concerning Xehanort's origins, Org. XIII origin, and the deal with Sora and Riku and their unique powers that seem somewhat unnatural even for the KH universe. Having a bit of background story to flesh this all out will be nice but then again, I'm the odd duck who actually likes the handheld titles more than the console entries.

Del Murder
06-24-2010, 04:36 AM
Yeah I hope this game gives some detail on Org. XIII's beginnings.