PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite genre on music?

ShadowLinkX
06-15-2010, 11:25 PM
I love a lot of different kinds of music and i'll list my faves 1-wateva

1.Hardstyle
2.Jumpstyle
3.Metal & Rock
4.TecK
5. Game OSTs
6.A bit of Rap & Hip Hop

Aydin
06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
I totally love techno, rap, hip-hop, Persona music, pop, love songs, soft rock, and country!!!

o_O
06-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Wow, it's interesting to see another hardstyle fan on here.

I could go on for hours about subgenres of dance music, but my favourites are all under hard dance (hard trance, psytrance, hard house and hardstyle). I'm also a big metal fan, especially bands like In Flames, Iced Earth, etc.

themagicroundabout
06-16-2010, 01:57 AM
jamaican music: mento, calypso, ska, rocksteady, nyahbinghi, roots reggae, dub, dancehall, D.J./toasting.. Jazz: be-bop, gyspy jazz.. (Thelonious Monk) hip-hop, rap, trip hop.. soul (60's, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett etc.).. all kindsa blues throughout different periods; delta blues, rhythm & blues.. funk: 60's, 70's American, Africa--African "highlife" music--(eg Super Negro Bantous, Fela Kuti).. "indie"(a very vague kind of blanket term?).. folk throughout different periods.. contemporary classical.. drum & bass, jungle, dubstep a little.. old punk (i.e. Dead Kennedys, The Clash)..etc.etc.

NorthernChaosGod
06-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Are we saying our favorite or listing all the genres we listen to? :confused:

If it's the former, then my answer is metal.

If not, then I like metal, classic rock, hard rock, classical, rap/hip hop, blues, jazz, and lots of stuff.

Bunny
06-16-2010, 04:43 AM
"Progressive metal" most accurately represents my favorite genre.

Laddy
06-16-2010, 05:12 AM
I actually really really dislike most Metal. It seems like most modern metal artists trying to make the best Metal they can make and not the best Music they can make.

I like Rock, Alternative Rock, Progressive/Symphonic Rock, Jazz, Blues, Blues-Rock, Classic Rock, Classical, New Age, Ska, Reggae, Glam Rock, J-Rock, and Opera.

I dislike Hardcore Rap, most metal and country, pop-punk and pop-"rock."

Breine
06-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't really have a favourite genre - I like to listen to all kinds of different stuff.

Necronopticous
06-16-2010, 03:58 PM
<ol><li>Good</li></ol>

SephirothSylverstream
06-16-2010, 04:18 PM
my favourite genre of music is Japanese Rock/Pop

Depression Moon
06-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Rap and R&B mostly. I do listen to a lot of video game music too, but that's not really a genre.

Nominus Experse
06-16-2010, 07:00 PM
fesdfsdf

Chris
06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm extremely fond of Traditional Pop and Jazz. '50s Pop is another favorite genre of mine. :p

Rocket Edge
06-17-2010, 01:48 AM
1 - House (Subgenre's like electro, funky & some progressive house also)
2 - Rap & Hip-Hop (Mostly pre-2000 era)

The rest I listen too alot of genres, especially rock, but they would be my main two.

Dreddz
06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Reggae/Bashment
Hip Hop (mostly 90's)

Those are my main two but I can appreciate almost anything if its good.

The Man
06-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Black metal (Enslaved, Drudkh, Emperor, Panopticon, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc.), progressive rock (Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Van der Graaf Generator, etc.), avant-garde/zeuhl/RIO (Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Univers Zero, Magma, Henry Cow, etc.), post-rock (Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion mostly), hardcore (mostly Dead Kennedys but assorted other groups like Crass and Amebix as well), grunge (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc.), alternative (Sonic Youth, The Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, Radiohead, etc.), post-punk (Joy Division, Television, Swans, etc.), folk (Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Fearthainne, Comus, etc.), doom metal (Neurosis, Tiamat, Empyrium, Reverend Bizarre, Esoteric, etc.), death metal (Death, Gorguts, Immolation, Incantation, The Chasm, Lykathea Aflame, Atheist, Cynic, etc.), folk metal (Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Windir, Hollenthon, etc.), game soundtracks (Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Hiroki Kikuta, etc.), avant-garde/progressive metal (Arcturus, maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Mirrorthrone, Edge of Sanity, etc.), '60s/'70s pop/rock (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Todd Rundgren, etc.), jazz (most notably Miles Davis and Sun Ra, but others as well, especially Coltrane), hip-hop (Beastie Boys, MF DOOM, Dälek, etc.), classical & minimalism (Gustav Holst, Richard Strauss, Ludwig van Beethoven, Philip Glass, Steve Reich, etc.).

Some of these styles are way more represented in my listening than others. The metal, progressive, and avant-garde genres are probably the most frequent, probably followed by alternative, grunge, and '60s/'70s rock. That said, by far the most played artist on my Last.fm charts is post-rock (GY!BE).

Raistlin
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I mostly listen to various subgenres of metal. I'm terrible at actually identifying subgenres, though.

Hythloday
06-18-2010, 01:01 AM
I listen only to riot funk.

Cuchulainn
06-18-2010, 01:09 AM
1. hip hop. 2 dubstep 3. metal.

G13
06-18-2010, 01:22 AM
All kinds of rock, except the banshee-deathwail-screeching demon-pig shriek :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I've been getting into some emoish stuff lately, which makes me ashamed of myself. I mostly listen to alternative rock and metal.

Shiny
06-18-2010, 02:31 AM
I like literally every genre there is except screamo because that :bou::bou::bou::bou: is annoying. Oh I also haven't heard anything ska related that I like yet.

Momiji
06-18-2010, 02:38 AM
I don't really have a preference anymore. I'll listen to anything, really, and if I like it, all the better. I'm always open to suggestions.

Only thing I can definitely say I don't like is country music. :<

Shiny
06-18-2010, 06:55 AM
<span style="font: 13px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee;">Black metal (Enslaved, Drudkh, Emperor, Panopticon, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc.), progressive rock (Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Van der Graaf Generator, etc.), avant-garde/zeuhl/RIO (Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Univers Zero, Magma, Henry Cow, etc.), post-rock (Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion mostly), hardcore (mostly Dead Kennedys but assorted other groups like Crass and Amebix as well), grunge (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc.), alternative (Sonic Youth, The Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, Radiohead, etc.), post-punk (Joy Division, Television, Swans, etc.), folk (Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Fearthainne, Comus, etc.), doom metal (Neurosis, Tiamat, Empyrium, Reverend Bizarre, Esoteric, etc.), death metal (Death, Gorguts, Immolation, Incantation, The Chasm, Lykathea Aflame, Atheist, Cynic, etc.), folk metal (Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Windir, Hollenthon, etc.), game soundtracks (Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Hiroki Kikuta, etc.), avant-garde/progressive metal (Arcturus, maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, Mirrorthrone, Edge of Sanity, etc.), '60s/'70s pop/rock (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Todd Rundgren, etc.), jazz (most notably Miles Davis and Sun Ra, but others as well, especially Coltrane), hip-hop (Beastie Boys, MF DOOM, Dälek, etc.), classical & minimalism (Gustav Holst, Richard Strauss, Ludwig van Beethoven, Philip Glass, Steve Reich, etc.).

Some of these styles are way more represented in my listening than others. The metal, progressive, and avant-garde genres are probably the most frequent, probably followed by alternative, grunge, and '60s/'70s rock. That said, by far the most played artist on my Last.fm charts is post-rock (GY!BE).</span>

I just realized you have King Crimson in that post. :love:

The Man
06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
But of course :monster:

The Man
06-24-2010, 05:15 AM
that's a genre I need to explore beyond Sonic Youth and Big Black. Though I guess MBV could technically count as a noise-rock artist as well, though they're obviously also shoegaze.

Shiny
06-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Why wouldn't they be?

The Man
06-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I imagine there won't be any problems as long as you keep to youtube and other similar services.