PDA

View Full Version : I'm Canadian...or am I chinese?

Peegee
06-16-2010, 04:12 PM
What does it mean to say that I'm Chinese? I honestly do not understand, since I refer to myself as 'Canadian'.

My arguments that I'm not chinese are as follows:

- my passport says I'm Canadian
- when I go to Hong Kong or China I have to go to the 'foreigners' queue. There's a 'Chinese' queue for Chinese people and an 'Foreigners' queue for the rest of the planet.
- There's a Canadian flag tattooed to my neck for some reason
- My last name is not indicative of my Chinese-ness. If I married, that person could take my last name and...become Chinese? Wat

That said, the argument that I'm chinese:

- My birth certificate might say that I'm Chinese. I'm not sure. I have to check

Two topics: what do you have to say to my spa...argument? And do you view yourself as a different nationality than um...I'm not sure how to finish the question since I don't consider race a valid term.

kgo!

rubah
06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I JUDGE YOU BY YOUR FEATURES AND THE ASIA YOU CALCULATES.

Hythloday
06-16-2010, 04:29 PM
You are obviously Chanadianese.

IDK, it's kinda like how in America every darker skinned person is "african-american", even if they or their ancestors weren't from Africa. I think everyone is still getting use to this global meshing we're all doing.

Also, you get called Chinese more than Asian?

Peegee
06-16-2010, 04:41 PM
I JUDGE YOU BY YOUR FEATURES AND THE ASIA YOU CALCULATES.

This is a useless statement. I finally know what it's like to be friends with me.

You are obviously Chanadianese.

That's better. Wait what?

Madame Adequate
06-16-2010, 04:43 PM
I am human.

Christmas
06-16-2010, 04:44 PM
CBC? Canadian Born Chinese? :bigsmile:

Peegee
06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I am human.

That doesn't address my question (the first sentence). We're all human, but what does it mean to call somebody Chinese or Asian or African American (http://www.anythingcartoon.com/users/2213/67/84/57/smiles/158230.gif Americans call anybody who's dark african american; it's PC!)?

CBC? Canadian Born Chinese?

I wasn't born in Canada. Does this mean I'm not Canadian? What does this mean?

Pheesh
06-16-2010, 05:01 PM
You're stuck in a vortex of un-belongingness, and your only hope is duel citizenship or something of that nature.

Aerith's Knight
06-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I am human.

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/edgar.jpg

Inferno
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
To be canadian, you must love hockey

Madame Adequate
06-16-2010, 05:19 PM
I am human.

That doesn't address my question (the first sentence). We're all human, but what does it mean to call somebody Chinese or Asian or African American

It means they are caught up in their deluded, parochial, mypoic categorization of the world into arbitrary and ultimately irrelevant divisions which have done nothing - NOTHING - since the dawn of time except incite war, genocide, hatred, resentment, ignorance, and a whole host of other ills.

Peegee
06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I am human.

That doesn't address my question (the first sentence). We're all human, but what does it mean to call somebody Chinese or Asian or African American

It means they are caught up in their deluded, parochial, mypoic categorization of the world into arbitrary and ultimately irrelevant divisions which have done nothing - NOTHING - since the dawn of time except incite war, genocide, hatred, resentment, ignorance, and a whole host of other ills.

You sound angry :love::love::love:

So if I were to call myself Chinese I'm causing wars?

rubah
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I dunno, stereotyping has a pretty good accuracy-- I'd say about 35%! close enough for engineering purposes :p

oddler
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM

My serious answer is this.

My other serious answer is that if you are of Canada or its people, then you're Canadian. If you are of China or its people, then you're Chinese. You're both but I really don't see the point in tacking a long list of everything you are together to describe yourself. If that's the case then I'm a feel-good, dirty blond, male member of EoFF who doesn't vote. :monster:

Madame Adequate
06-16-2010, 06:53 PM
You sound angry :love::love::love:

So if I were to call myself Chinese I'm causing wars?

You know how I am about countries and suchlike :aimkiss: The perpetuation of the belief that people are different based on where they were born, and that people should be treated differently based on where they are born, as is as disgusting to me as basing such different treatment on race or gender is to most in the modern day.

Peegee
06-16-2010, 07:29 PM
You're making this horribly difficult on PG. I think legally nobody has an ethnicity - we only have nationalities (which while you may disagree is a positive or useful attribute, still exists legally). In some countries (like say, Hong Kong and China) they ask you for your race. I write down 'Canadian'.

It's this type of issue I am asking about. My friends all call me Chinese and I make a point to call myself Canadian. Am I ignoring a valid category in which I am a member regardless of 'denial' ?

rubah
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
some genetic groups have tendencies to be higher-risk for certain disorders, and I guess that would be a useful bit of information to throw away. I'm not sure it's useful anywhere else (Although the government would probably like to know so it can brag!)

Chris
06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
My father is Danish, and my mother is Filipino/ Spanish. What does that make me? :(

~*~Celes~*~
06-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Chinknadian

I am Native American and European. But regionally, I'm just an American *shrug*

Peegee
06-16-2010, 09:07 PM
some genetic groups have tendencies to be higher-risk for certain disorders, and I guess that would be a useful bit of information to throw away. I'm not sure it's useful anywhere else (Although the government would probably like to know so it can brag!)

There *are* medical and biological reasons to label me Chinese or Asian. But as a colloquialism for 'what should I label you so I can assign hierarchial categories', whether I'm Chinese or 'Chinese Canadian' or whatever is pretty important.

Chinknadian

I love the word 'Chink' and refer to myself as such. I'd never call another person a racial epithet except in jest though.

~*~Celes~*~
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM

There *are* medical and biological reasons to label me Chinese or Asian. But as a colloquialism for 'what should I label you so I can assign hierarchial categories', whether I'm Chinese or 'Chinese Canadian' or whatever is pretty important.

Chinknadian

I love the word 'Chink' and refer to myself as such. I'd never call another person a racial epithet except in jest though.

Ditto. Pokemanz wise and otherwise.

qwertysaur
06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
I am me. You are you. Whoever doubts that can go play in traffic :p

Raistlin
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
What does it mean to say that I'm Chinese? I honestly do not understand, since I refer to myself as 'Canadian'

I guess it's just a distinction between ethnicity (biological origins) and nationality (country of citizenship). It's all meaningless anyway (considering I view both nationalist patriotism and racial identity as largely irrational nonsense), so it just comes down to arbitrary preference on what you want to consider yourself.

blackmage_nuke
06-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Cant help with your identitity but if you want people to refer to you as canadian rather than chinese you can say "I'm Canadian eh" then people will be less likely to argue against you.

Sometimes I say "I'm Australian mate" with a strong slightly violent emphasis on the word mate and they back off about my slanty eyes and black hair even though i dont normally speak like that. So i dunno if canadians have an equivalent for that, maybe its "guy" but that might just be southpark making things up

Mo-Nercy
06-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Sometimes I say "I'm Australian mate" with a strong slightly violent emphasis on the word mate and they back off about my slanty eyes and black hair even though i dont normally speak like that.
I feel the need to do this sometimes too =\
Usually when ordering beer.

I always tell people I'm Australian-Chinese and I prefer to say it in that order. I like to think that Australia is more culturally significant to me than China is, but there's definitely a lot of both in me. I don't think of the blend as something that distorts my sense of identity, but as something that emphasises it and makes me unique. How many people can say that they've been to Sydney Olympic Park once for a 周杰伦 concert and once again for a NSW vs. QLD State of Origin rugby league match?

Christmas
06-17-2010, 01:10 AM
I guess in the end it all come down to whether you are happy as who you are. :bigsmile:

Hot Shot
06-17-2010, 01:40 AM
I would classify you as Canadian seeing as people are a product of their society. If you live in a country, take on their customs and call it home then you also accept the nationality as well IMO. I'm of African/Caribbean decent, but I class myself as British seeing as I have lived my whole life here. It's all a matter of opinion, but at the end of the day, you class yourself as what you see/feel is most suitable for yourself.

fire_of_avalon
06-17-2010, 02:18 AM
I think it all depends upon with which group you identify more often than not.

Agrias
06-17-2010, 04:17 AM
Although i live in Canada, i do not consider myself Canadian because i am an immigrant who came here as a child. I consider myself Greek because i was born there, i speak Greek and i was raised in a traditionally Greek family.

Clo
06-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Whatever you feel like when you wake up in the morning. "Today... I am Chinese", "Today... I am Canadian", "Today... I am Peegee the Chinadian". Whatevski.

Peegee
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
BTW this topic came up because people at the office (some) insist I am Chinese while some insist I'm Canadian. I'm quite amused regardless.

I should mention that just because I think I'm Canadian doesn't mean I think (say) Alice is also Canadian and not a Greek hottie.

Rodarian
06-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Peegee brought something interesting...

I'd consider you Canadian Asian...

I consider myself Pakistani Canadian because , I was born in Pakistan, but raised as a Canadian citizen....

And I too stand in the foreign passport line when I'm entering any country...

Jiro
06-18-2010, 02:17 AM
Canasian. I'd say you are whatever nationality you feel most affiliated with.

Agrias
06-18-2010, 02:26 AM
I should mention that just because I think I'm Canadian doesn't mean I think (say) Alice is also Canadian and not a Greek hottie.

I am still a greek hottie. Check!