PDA

View Full Version : Why England Will Beat Slovenia

seiferalmasy2
06-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Given my overwhelming negative (see realist) stance on most issues, I will create this thread just to show that I am not being negative and doomsday for the sake of it.

I believe England will beat Slovenia comfortably and I will tell you why I think that.

First, I was against the appointment of Sven, Mclaren and Capello from the start- being that 2 are foreigners and cannot have hoped to stir national pride in the team, and the other was a boring old fart (and not even a good manager).

It is my belief that England are missing confidence, passion and patriotism more than they are missing a tactician. That isn't to say that the tactical side has been great because it hasn't. The managers of late seem to be quite happy to play players in positions they simply are not familiar with or mix and rearrange from game to game.

Capello has the most brain dead system yet, whereby he decides the team a few hours before kick off. Any fool can see this is largely counter productive and a good team should know and trust each other long long before the tournament starts. That hasn't been the case and there is only Capello to blame for that I am afraid.

So, with all the crap on display, why do I think England will go out there different against Slovenia?

a. They are disgusted with their performance against Algeria and know how embarrassing it was. This will lead to a kick start of temporary passion and fire against Slovenia.

b. They know they need to win to qualify. Obviously this gives a new sense of urgency rather than that sloppy useless team I saw the other day.

c. Irony dictates that these things happen. Just as the nation expect to be booted, it reverses on you.

So, yes I expect England to qualify for the knock out stages. No thanks of course to Capello or the idiots who keep appointing the England managers of late. I could do a better job than he has and I ain't joking.

Unfortunately, even if we do qualify (which I strongly believe we will), it will only be another exit sooner or later when I believe this team should be aiming for a Semi Final / Final place; instead it will probably be Quarter Final or Last 16 with mediocre performances.

Even if England do manage to surprise us all, it will be nothing short of the TEAM itself deciding to kick start themselves, rather than Capello. Capello will be given credit if they go further than now expected when really it will have had little to do with him.

So you heard it here first:

England 3 or 4, Slovenia 1.

Cuchulainn
06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
i think you will too. i wouldntr even be against it. for some reason, despite the blood thats been spilled i think the scottish the most anti-english not the irish.

I do still enjoy the defeat whwn your press annoy me though I'd never begrudge you a win....unless you play us!

Old Manus
06-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Of course England will beat Slovenia. It's not the quarter finals yet, and you can't have penalty shootouts in the group stages!

seiferalmasy2
06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Of course England will beat Slovenia. It's not the quarter finals yet, and you can't have penalty shootouts in the group stages!

:D now 1996 squad was a good one...Should have got to the final in Euro 96....that was last time we won a penalty shoot out, Quarter vs Spain.

charliepanayi
06-19-2010, 10:25 PM
It's the only time they've won a shootout.

The Captain
06-19-2010, 10:33 PM
England will win IF the right formation is played. The 4-4-2 is archaic and needs to be scrapped. As so many have been crowing for:

James (Though I still would play Hart)

Johnson Dawson Terry A. Cole
Barry Lampard
Lennon Gerrard J. Cole
Rooney

England's most balanced team in my opinion. What England need IS confidence. They need to realize that you must take risks to win, not be content for the draw, which obviously would leave them in a dire position.

Problem is, Capello is a stubborn, stubborn man. I hate to make the reference but his resistance to changes is becoming Rafa Benitez-like. Coaches, especially on the world stage, must be flexible and must put their team in the best position to win. They must motivate their players as much as coach them and I've seen far too little positive reinforcement from Capello. For all of Maradona's madness on the sideline, at least you can see how much joy he has and I think it is extending to his team.

I'm rooting hard for the US but most of my favorite players are on England, so I'd like to see them progress as well.

England 3 Slovenia 0

seiferalmasy2
06-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Lineker quoted Einstein earlier:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

How true.

if England do progress chances are it will be Germany they meet....

charliepanayi
06-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Group D is so open (as is Group C) that England could get any one of Ghana/Serbia/Germany to be honest.

And some of these three goal margins of victory are a bit optimistic I think (though I think England will make it). Slovenia are a decent side and got past Russia to get to the World Cup. They might be stubborn opposition, though I suspect England's main problem will be if they don't get an early goal and frustration sets in.

seiferalmasy2
06-19-2010, 11:14 PM
I am going for Irony again.... Plus I can see Germany topping their group...

BarelySeeAtAll
06-19-2010, 11:59 PM
:( what saddens me most is the thought of this being a wasted thread effort if we lose.

In that case you should edit your posts :greenie:

seiferalmasy2
06-20-2010, 12:23 AM
:( what saddens me most is the thought of this being a wasted thread effort if we lose.

In that case you should edit your posts :greenie:

But we won't lose. :cool: We are going to win.

black orb
06-20-2010, 12:40 AM
>>> Why Beckham isnt playing anymore??:confused: :luca:

Cuchulainn
06-20-2010, 01:27 AM
>>> Why Beckham isnt playing anymore??:confused: :luca:

1. he's 76 years old
2. he's injured (bad hip probably).

black orb
06-20-2010, 01:36 AM
>>> So he is injured, thats too bad..
Old players can be useful too, that Cuauhtémoc guy from Mexico is like 110 years old and he has one goal already, well it was a penalty but it still a goal :D..:luca:

sephireland
06-22-2010, 07:55 PM

:D now 1996 squad was a good one...Should have got to the final in Euro 96....that was last time we won a penalty shoot out, Quarter vs Spain.

I remember Spain scoring two perfectly good goals in that match both disallowed by the linesman who even looked blind :)

BarelySeeAtAll
06-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I believe your score prediction may be wrong :p

But we have won. I think. It's got a minute or so left, how tense.

You were right, I should never have doubted you!!

seiferalmasy2
06-24-2010, 12:15 AM
It should have been 3-0 let's face it but we did win comfortably as I thought we would :)

charliepanayi
06-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, it was really comfortable when Upson made that tackle at the end.

seiferalmasy2
06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
It was a comfortable win overall and I was right ;) even if my score was wrong. The chances and pace and shots were all in England's favour, just lacked the finish. :D

charliepanayi
06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
You got the outcome of a football match correct. Well done. And 'just' that lack of finish almost cost England.

Psychotic
06-24-2010, 10:42 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/popcorn.gif

Old Manus
06-25-2010, 11:55 AM
:|