PDA

View Full Version : Lightning is the worst character in the history of Final Fantasy

reinward
06-20-2010, 12:26 AM
i dont even know where to begin. I just hated everything about her from her looks to her personality and everything in between.

discuss

she was an emotionless robot

everytime she opened her mouth i rolled my eyes. she was a cold b*tch.

Jings
06-20-2010, 12:28 AM
You've encountered Snow right? And Hope?

reinward
06-20-2010, 12:32 AM
she was even more bland than Quistis

black orb
06-20-2010, 12:35 AM
>>> That makes the perfect FF main character in my book..:luca:

Rad Bromance
06-20-2010, 01:40 AM
BUT CLOUD AND SQUALL WERE TOTALLY HEARTFELT AND ENDEARING AND SOOOOOOOO DEEEEEEEEEEEP AMIRITE!?!?!!?!?

VeloZer0
06-20-2010, 04:07 AM
She acted WAY closer to what I would do than any other character in the game. After 10 and 12 I was very appreciative to have her as the lead. For me she was probably the best thing in the game. (Plus looking super cool in combat)

FYI, anger is an emotion. And she had tons of that.

Mo-Nercy
06-20-2010, 04:11 AM
And her looks are awesome.

Shiny
06-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Lighting is a badass. She is far better at being a major protagonist than Yuna.

Lexy
06-20-2010, 04:55 AM
I couldn't agree more!
She isn't even a cold b-word in a cool way. She's just...lame. I didn't find her interesting or like-able at all. I agree, Reinward, in that I also was rolling my eyes every time she said anything. Whoever approved her dialogue should be canned immediately. The scene where Hope makes her have the epiphany that people are pets for the Fal'cie was so laughably juvenile.
And she is not even entertaining to look at. She looks way too thin and her outfit is awkward looking. Her hair is kind of ok aside from a 3/4 view of the left (our left) side of her face- her hair forms this weird bubble atop her head and it just looks dumb. I couldn't stand looking at it. Down with Lightning!

reinward
06-20-2010, 05:32 AM
yes, thank you lexy! finally someone agrees with me!

oh and btw way shiny, yuna>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lightning

Jiro
06-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't think she's great, but I don't mind her. Certainly wouldn't call her the worst character in the history of Final Fantasy. After all, I found Black Belt to be well :bou::bou::bou::bou:. :monster:

Elpizo
06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
So the warriors of light from FF I were better characters than lightning...? Honestly...? Do you seriously expect me to believe that or agree with it...?

Sefie1999AD
06-20-2010, 12:08 PM
i dont even know where to begin. I just hated everything about her from her looks to her personality and everything in between.

discuss

Yes, I agree. Tidus was a whiny damsel-in-distress. I just hated everything about her from looks to her whiny personality and everything in between. And every time she opened her mouth I rolled my eyes. "I'm from Zey-ner-kind, right Auuuriiin?" Definitely the worst character in the history of Final Fantasy. :p

Seriously though, I didn't have problems with Lightning. She's angry and violent at times, but to be frank, most of the playable characters in FFXIII seem to be developed in a relatively similar manner: they're all flawed and go through tragic plot twists at the beginning of the game, and they have their own (usually flawed) ways to deal with the tragedy. However, they all grow during the story. Even Lightning, Hope and Snow. I just came across the flower field scene where Snow tells Lightning to talk to Serah's crystallized tear, and I thought that was a very beautiful scene that was showing how the main characters have changed during the game.

I still think Lightning is a lot like the female version of Cloud. At least she's not emo like Squall or whiny like Tidus. :p

G13
06-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Agreed.

Shiny
06-20-2010, 09:11 PM
If Yuna didn't have a retarded chicken run and complete Bi Polar change of character from one game to the next, I'd be apt to agree with you on that. At least Lightning is consistent for the most part.

Rase
06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
There's about half a dozen lead characters I'd put behind her. If you actually mean out of every character ever in a Final Fantasy game you are being silly.

*Devore*
06-21-2010, 12:51 AM
For me, she is easily the best character in FFXIII and I much preferred her than to Squall...what a socially awkward weirdo. Also, Lightning can kick ass.

Anyway, am I the only person that likes Tidus. He wasn't born a hero, he wasn't taught how to fight and he doesn't have any special super powers (except magic, but that doesn't count) and yet he stepped up and saved Spira.

champagne supernova
06-21-2010, 01:09 AM
So Lightning is worse than Quina, who's only motivation in the game is to eat stuff? Or Amarant? What about Yuffie? Or the masses of under-developed characters from earlier FFs.

And I don't think the Cloud/Lightning comparison is entirely fair. For me, Cloud is like a wimpy emo version of Lightning. Whereas Cloud continuously goes on about how he used to be from SOLDIER and he's a mercenary, Lightning is just cold and a bad-ass. She then develops and becomes less cold and more open, etc etc, which is predictable, although the path that got her there was a little bit unusual.

And Tidus wasn't that bad. Yes, I found his voice acting bad for the first half of the game. That strangely enough had nothing to do with me getting used to his voice, because when I replayed it (New Game + straight after finishing it), I found his voice acting in the beginning to be just as bad. But, he did choose to defeat Sin knowing that he would disappear as a result which is fairly noble of him.

Lexy
06-21-2010, 03:52 AM
So Lightning is worse than Quina, who's only motivation in the game is to eat stuff? Or Amarant? What about Yuffie? Or the masses of under-developed characters from earlier FFs.

Yes! I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to character. Lightning may have more of a story and (regrettably) more dialogue than many final fantasy characters, but every single one of those other characters is better than Lightning. 98% of her lines are her just repeating that they have to keep hope and keep on going and crap like that. She never says anything interesting and much of what she says has already been hammered home three times. I would much rather have a character with more sparse dialogue, if that dialogue is actually interesting.
Quina was so much better than Lightning. She was concise, interesting, and not annoying. Same with Yuffie and Amarant. I never thought, "Man I hate these people, they are so inane".

I feel like I played a different game from the people who are saying she is a cold bad*ss. She seemed to me just a total dumb*ss!!

I do agree with you, champagne supernova, that Tidus was an OK main character. A little annoying sometimes but I like him overall.

Edge7
06-21-2010, 04:11 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Lexy on this one guys.

The major details I remember about lightning:
-Her service in the military constantly gives her the opportunity to tell the others just how insanely difficult it'll be to take on Cocoon. (Just like how Cloud would brag about SOLDIER)
-Her intense, and somewhat misplaced hatred for Snow. (I get it, Snow can be a bit of a dumbass, it's not like you could put your differences aside long enough to solve the more immediate problem. Like, say, the entire government wanting them dead (that's also my problem with Hope. Seriously guys, I know he needs a scapegoat, but "Operation Nora" could have been executed at a better time.)
-Her sudden epiphany that's supposed to win her automatic sympathy, and apparently also resolves her conflict with Snow.

I'm not saying that she's the worst character in the series though. I personally can't connect with her. AT ALL. I can connect with Sazh, Snow, even with Hope (who I hated with a burning passion), but Lightning's only action that made sense to me was ironically enough, her wanting to charge Cocoon, and destroy all the fal'Cie, just so she felt like she was still in control of her life.

Rodney
06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Reinward, Lexy, Edge7, if you all truly believe the mess you've written, then you are all sad little men.

Saber
06-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm going with the people that hate Lightning. For starters I would like to say that I hate characters with no personality and no heart. Sure she can win every battle thrown at her, but what main character can't?

Also I hate how they make the team of characters all connect. This is my own little issue with 12 and 13. I'm not talking about battles, I'm talking about how lame the voices are. I like it when each character had their own story. Also how the FMV graphics are not that much better then regular battles and walking around. I liked having a 3d environment to walk around and then when I thought the game was lame I seen something beautiful that made up for it.

Back on Lightning though, everything she says is the same thing. Sadly she isn't the only character that was like that. Lightning would talk purely about the army and fighting. Snow would talk purely about Sarah. Hope was about his mom. Sazhe would talk about his kid. Vanille and Fang had their little thing. It was just boring and drawn out. A lot like 12. XII had one thing, it didn't matter who said what to me. The plot was gave and that was that.

Aurey
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I didn't find her very interesting, I can't say I found any of the characters all that interesting either. No depth to any of them, it seemed to me their entire creation, i.e. their appearance, personality and dialogue, was rushed. I like her hair though.

Shiny
06-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Vanille and Fang had their little thing.
They did indeed. :jokey:

Flying Arrow
06-22-2010, 07:10 AM

And Vanille?

Shin Gouken
06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm loving the Lightening hate. Personally, i couldn't stand her, for pretty much all the reasons mentioned. Though she's not my most hated character, that probabley goes to Hope.

LostAmy
06-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Wow I must be the only one here who not only liked Lighting, but she was actually my second favorite protagonist in any FF game. My favorite being Cloud because even though Lighting's a badass, Cloud was more of a badass. ;)

As far as being emotion-less goes, isn't that a theme with Protagonists?

Bartz? Terra? Cloud? Squal?

LowCaloriePie
06-28-2010, 07:20 AM
As far as being emotion-less goes, isn't that a theme with Protagonists?

Bartz? Terra? Cloud? Squal?

:twak:

VeloZer0
06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
I think the problem isn't protagonists being emotionless, but people not being able to pick anything up if they don't wear their hearts on their sleeves. Most people consider me 'emotionless' but I just tend to express what I am feeling very subtly, I feel these characters are much the same way.

Ezme
06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I think the problem isn't protagonists being emotionless, but people not being able to pick anything up if they don't wear their hearts on their sleeves. Most people consider me 'emotionless' but I just tend to express what I am feeling very subtly, I feel these characters are much the same way.

Thank you! People keep saying lighting's a robot but to me she displays far more than cloud!

Jessweeee♪
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I quite liked her. I found Lightning and the other five to be possibly the most believable characters in the series!

EDIT:

I really like her hairstyle. The color isn't really my thing obviously, but it's a nice style!

Nod
06-29-2010, 03:39 AM
I agree, Lightning is a lame character..... the way that she develops through the game is pretty contrived, there is no depth imo.

:D

strange_forever
07-06-2010, 02:00 PM
It took a while for her to grow on me in all honesty. Her using Snow as a punching bag in the beginning began to irk me after about three seconds. I ended up groaning and muttering at the TV that she should get over herself and take some responsibility as well. Although in the same token Snow's continual 'your hero's coming' deserved a punch in the face I thought. But anyways... after her birthday flashback where regret for her dismissal of Serah seems to be the motivation for her shifting the blame I saw her as beginning to change and now I find her even likable.

Forsaken Lover
07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
If Yuna didn't have a retarded chicken run and complete Bi Polar change of character from one game to the next, I'd be apt to agree with you on that. At least Lightning is consistent for the most part.

Yeah, damn that awful characterization! How dare a person change when they can live and enjoy their life(X-2) as opposed to when they are heading to their inevitable death(X). It's positively ridiculous!

Someone celebrating life like Yuna did in X-2 is one of the most genuine and real responses a character has ever had in an FF.

Yliette
07-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Whoa! It's great to be back. I think my last post in this forum was three years ago. :eek:

Anyway I think Lightning makes an excellent heroine. She's a typical tsundere who seems tough on the outside but eventually shows a fragile side. For example I like how she changed her attitude towards Hope from wanting to abandon him to vowing to protect him and even look out for his well-being.

*Time to Rant*

And I keep wondering why so many people turn a blind eye to the fact that character weaknesses were made as a literary tool called "Character Development."

I remember during the FFX days people were bitching about how Tidus is a whiny crybaby with an irritating voice. All they ever mentioned was how selfish and weak he was. But they never mentioned how much he changed from an egoistic athlete to a selfless hero who was willing to give himself up for Yuna and Spira. From how he he was able to overcome his hatred towards his dad and made up with him. That in my opinion has got to be one of the best forms of character development I've seen. Plus they also never mentioned that his voice sounded brusque and mature whenever he's narrating.

Anyway IMO Lightning is an excellent female protagonist. She's not very feminine yet not too tomboyish either. She still fights with feline grace. :love:

Carnage-
07-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Lightning is definitely one of the worst characters, as is Hope. In the beginning, she pretty much had an attitude of "i hate all of you", but then when Hope said something about Fal'cie and pets, its like she instantly changed. Too melodramatic in my opinion. I liked her better off when she was a cold hearted, stuck up woman, much like how I preferred Hope when he was whiny, even though his change was much more viable. Just my opinion though.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-12-2010, 06:44 AM
BUT CLOUD AND SQUALL WERE TOTALLY HEARTFELT AND ENDEARING AND SOOOOOOOO DEEEEEEEEEEEP AMIRITE!?!?!!?!?

I think the problem isn't protagonists being emotionless, but people not being able to pick anything up if they don't wear their hearts on their sleeves.

Sums up my feelings very well.

Lightening is a female Cloud insofar as her physical body was meant to be that of Cloud but female, which honestly is not that big of a change. Aside from that, Lightening had actual personality, you know instead of Cloud more or less convincing himself he was Zack for a good part of the game.

Also, people forget that fictional characters can be just as irrational as most humans are. We do misplace emotions and project stuff and deal with stuff in our own, sometimes fucked up, ways. Heck, excluding Sazh, they were hardly adults!

Eagle299
07-13-2010, 01:52 AM
For me, she is easily the best character in FFXIII and I much preferred her than to Squall...what a socially awkward weirdo. Also, Lightning can kick ass.

Anyway, am I the only person that likes Tidus. He wasn't born a hero, he wasn't taught how to fight and he doesn't have any special super powers (except magic, but that doesn't count) and yet he stepped up and saved Spira.

You summed up my oppinion of Tidus exactly. He's not a trained combat machine. He's a sports star. Asking him to take on Sin and fiends is like asking the MVP of the World Cup to pick up an assault rifle and storm Taliban strongholds in Afganistan. Its not what he's trained for. You need real soldiers for that. Tidus went above and beyond what could have been expected of him, especially given his personal consequences for the ultimate defeat of Sin.

Oh, and Lightning was pure badass. Easily my favorite protaganist since Cloud.

VeloZer0
07-13-2010, 04:05 AM
You summed up my oppinion of Tidus exactly. He's not a trained combat machine. He's a sports star. Asking him to take on Sin and fiends is like asking the MVP of the World Cup to pick up an assault rifle and storm Taliban strongholds in Afganistan. Its not what he's trained for. You need real soldiers for that. Tidus went above and beyond what could have been expected of him, especially given his personal consequences for the ultimate defeat of Sin.
I find that funny because that is one of my major knocks against him. I always find it so inappropriate that some newbie can just jump in and easily exceed the level attained by people who have trained their entire lives. In sports I know what it looks like when people jump into activities they haven't trained for, combat would just be so much work.

If someone can be way more proficient without any formal training I want a dam good reason for it. Chosen one, kings son, descendant of ancient hero, I'm not hard to please. I just want it addressed.
I'll stop now, just one of my pet peeves. :D

On the flip side that is one of the things I loved about Lightning. She actually looked appropriate in the role she was acting out... unlike most of the cast... of most games....

Shiny
07-13-2010, 04:29 AM

Yeah, damn that awful characterization! How dare a person change when they can live and enjoy their life(X-2) as opposed to when they are heading to their inevitable death(X). It's positively ridiculous!

Someone celebrating life like Yuna did in X-2 is one of the most genuine and real responses a character has ever had in an FF.
I was talking more about her humble and demure personality in FFX than her solemness. I understood why she was happier, but it didn't explain why she was suddenly skanky.

Vyk
07-13-2010, 04:33 AM
I think the problem with Tidus's hero's journey is that he started out in the worst extreme. They didn't have to make him THAT bad to give him the opportunity to change and grow. A hero shouldn't be crying and whining and acting stupid. They could have illustrated it just as well if they didn't make him a yuppee that got on everyone's nerves. People don't mention his character growth, because by the time it happens, they already hate him too much to care. But I will concede that it does happen. Its just not fascinating, enthralling, or enjoyable. Its just annoying

Glad they made Lightning at least a little more subtle than that

Stjewy
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say she is the worst, but she is DEFINITELY not the best either.

VeloZer0
07-13-2010, 11:26 PM
All characters must be slotted into a role as either the best or worst in the series. You should know this.

black orb
07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
>>> Now that Im playing the game I can say that I love Light, i like her uniform, her superhuman jumps, and texture they put on her skin among other things :D..:luca:

But Tidus is still my fav FF main character ever..

Future Esthar
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Funny.You are the first person to qualify Tidus as the best.Such a hated character.

black orb
07-20-2010, 11:15 PM
>>> I think there is another guy here who like Tidus too (check the FFX forum)..:luca:

Eagle299
07-21-2010, 01:29 AM
>>> I think there is another guy here who like Tidus too (check the FFX forum)..:luca:

I certainly like Tidus. He started a fairly normal guy and became a hero.

I don't like him as much as Lightning, but I don't hate him.

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Tidus is a favorite of mine as well!

Zora
07-22-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm only got to chapter 12 (yes, I'm behind), so anything I say is a measure of her up to that point.

Overall, I liked Lightning. Even if she was a bitch, but she felt... real enough. Well, outside of that Chapter 7 epiphany scene which was all-around bad and out of character, but a lot of games, including the Final Fantasy games, have one of those scenes. In Final Fantasy IX During the scene where "You're Not Alone" is played, Zidane sounds out of character. To me, it would seem like he would just say "Whatever, I'll do what I want" to Garland muttering about Zidade being created as a puppet. Granted, the scene was very memorable, but I'm not lying when I said Zidane acted very out of character there.. But even so, you see Lightning change throughout the story. She begins off cold and almost emotionless, but you also begin to see her frustration. She hates Snow at first, well along with most of the cast, but grows to appreciate him and what he's done. She begins to think more rationally rather than just fighting, and there are a few more traits that shows that she's developing. Now, I'm not saying she's an OMG amazing character, but... honestly, she wasn't that bad.

Also, people forget that fictional characters can be just as irrational as most humans are. We do misplace emotions and project stuff and deal with stuff in our own, sometimes smurfed up, ways. Heck, excluding Sazh, they were hardly adults!

Call it nit-picking, but I thought Fang was very mature too. Other than being apathetic towards the destruction of Cacoon before Bahamut came up and slapped her silly, I can't think of anything remotely immature about Fang from what I've seen.

Sword
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM
*Time to Rant*

And I keep wondering why so many people turn a blind eye to the fact that character weaknesses were made as a literary tool called "Character Development."

Thank you for this. I don't it would be very realistic if everyone just liked all the characters. There needs to be room for you to notice the characters' growth by maybe having your opinion of them changed. There are a lot of characters in FF games I don't like but I don't see that as a game's bad point, since they need a variety of characters and it's impossible to relate to a wide variety of personalities.

Personally I think Squall is the best case of character development in any game. Tou can really see his growth because you always know his thoughts and can compare them with how he actually presents.

In FFXIII I didn't identify much with Lightning but I enjoyed her character's growth. For me the best character in FFXIII is Hope. Best development IMO.

Levian
07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
"Lightning is the worst character in the history of Final Fantasy"

Have you played any Final Fantasy games? ;) She's not even the worst character in the game. One of the better characters imo!

Future Esthar
07-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Sword,you will receive the prize of the second member on this thread to think of a very hated character as the best of a game.

I can't think of anything remotely immature about Fang from what I've seen.

Donīt forget also her apathy on the cutscene before the end.

Eagle299
07-23-2010, 01:52 AM
*Time to Rant*

Thank you for this. I don't it would be very realistic if everyone just liked all the characters. There needs to be room for you to notice the characters' growth by maybe having your opinion of them changed. There are a lot of characters in FF games I don't like but I don't see that as a game's bad point, since they need a variety of characters and it's impossible to relate to a wide variety of personalities.

Personally I think Squall is the best case of character development in any game. Tou can really see his growth because you always know his thoughts and can compare them with how he actually presents.

In FFXIII I didn't identify much with Lightning but I enjoyed her character's growth. For me the best character in FFXIII is Hope. Best development IMO.

It boggles my mind how anyone can even tolerate Hope. The kid made me want to do horrible things to him from his opening scene, and did virtually nothing to redeem himself in my eyes through out. The only thing that made his portions of the game playable was being partnered with Lightning for most of it.

After the game gave me the option to select my own party, I only willingly used him once, and that was solely to test out Alexander. After that, I just pretended I left him to be eaten by a Behemoth or something. I have never hated a character in a video game like I did Hope.

Edit: Also, Squall, my least favorite FF hero to date. Still don't hate him like I do Hope, thoug.

Zora
07-23-2010, 02:18 AM
I can't think of anything remotely immature about Fang from what I've seen.
Donīt forget also her apathy on the cutscene before the end.

I haven't beaten the game yet :cry:

Almost there. I'm in the middle of Chapter 12, so yay.

As for Hope, eh, I actually liked him sometime during Chapter 7 and onward. He changed a lot in that chapter, so... I don't know. I identify a lot with Hope though, being kind of shy and bottling my feelings up, which obviously is a factor. And, my standard party included Hope, Fang, and Lightning. You cover all the jobs while almost all paradigm combination are well-rounded. Really, Hope just has one of the best sets around.

Future Esthar
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
and did virtually nothing to redeem himself

You must be kidding,right?

Hope has the best character development.

He starts whiny but becames very brave on the last chapters.

Sorry to spoil the game to you Zora.

Eagle299
07-23-2010, 08:48 PM
and did virtually nothing to redeem himself

You must be kidding,right?

Hope has the best character development.

He starts whiny but becames very brave on the last chapters.

Very brave is boarding a government purge train, which as a government employee you're exempt from, and taking on dozens of heavily armed soldiers, starting the fight unarmed and handcuffed, on the off chance that you might save your sister from certain death.

Very brave is charging a millitary strong hold with your rag tag rebel group to rescue a bunch of people who your religion had declared unclean, taking on guys who are armed not only with assault rifles and riot gear, but friggin heavy mecha.

Very brave is taking on a dark god from the terrifying world below with a pair of pistols to save your only son from zombification.

Very brave is being willing to take on that nest of vipers in the air with technology beyond anything that exists in your tribal village because the gods you worthship said it blocks their view. All the while challenging enemy dieties and their servants.

Hope did none of these things. All Hope did in the later chapters was say, "Hey, lets go beat up those guys who are now unto insects compared to us."

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't agree she's the worst. Kimarhi is both poorly developed and a lousy character.

Still, I can understand the hate. She's not the worst in the game, I still feel Hope is whiny and annoying and Vanille pretty much drives the plot by being as stupid as possible meaning she combines two of my least favorite RPG cliches (stupid female leads who cause conflict by being stupid, and hyper active kooky girl) but I would say Lightning isn't far from these two.

Her only emotions in the first half of the character development section of the game is being a total angry bitch and showing off with wire-fu. She gives up on her sister and babysits Hope and then has one of the most awkward and narm inducing 180 personality changes in the series; as she gains her silly epiphany that makes her suddenly become this nurturing mother figure which comes across as badly as Squall's moment of suddenly realizing he loves Rinoa. Much like Squall, she loses a bit of her badass appeal afterwards, especially since a lot of what made her interesting in the beginning gets dropped cause she overcame them halfway through the plot.

She comes across cold and indifferent but its not really her personality that's causing it as much as its her lack of one. Squall worked cause the player could read his inner monologues which painted a much more sarcastic and interesting character but Lightning doesn't get that, so she pretty much jumps between three extremes namely: Rage, Nurturing, and Void.

Despite being Serah's sister, I never felt she had as much of a connection to her as Snow does (mostly cause the game won't let you forget they are love birds) so once Serah was out of the picture I kinda felt Lightning served no real purpose anymore. Some would say she put Hope on the wrong path and later the right one but I felt it was obvious that was where he was going anyway so adding the little push seems over-exaggerated imo. She makes a decent foil with Sahz in the beginning but once the Chapter 3 hits, that all disappears as Sahz and Vanille are stuck together. She just quickly loses her place in the cast and no longer even tries to be the level headed one.

I felt that beyond her visual flair of wire-fu and acrobatics and the amusing punch to Snow's yapping face she was sort of a non-entity who quickly gets drowned out by the overly emotional cast of characters. In a way she's like what would have happened to Squall if Square had actually really developed the rest of the cast of VIII and gave them some decent screentime. The "Brooding Badass" sort of gets drowned out by the more needy characters

Zora
07-24-2010, 07:00 AM

Eh, I did worse when I looked up the final boss on FF Wiki, not realizing the first letters were "______ is the final boss of Final Fantasy XIII." I closed the page immediately. That said, I have beaten the game now, so I can comment on that point you made:

To me, it seems more like Fang was giving up when she decided to be Ragnarok again (that's what you were referring to I take it). I mean, they defeated Dysley, but what good did that do when Orphan was there? Orphan was inviting his own death, and he would have chosen someone else had they failed. At this point, I think Fang saw it that she might be able to save Van'ille (and others) by becoming Ragnarok, but not Cacoon, fearing that Cacoon was doomed anyways during this whole mess. But, eventually, after some scenes and whatnot, they decide to face Orphan again and just kill Orphan without becoming Ragnarok to do so. In the end, they became Ragnarok to save Cacoon; not destroy it.

I guess it's also possible that Fang was being preemptive and trying to become Ragnarok only to turn around and save Cacoon like she ultimately did with Van'ille, and volunteered with that in mind. Either way, it didn't seem immature as much as, well, making the most of what she thought she could do :p

Iwrestledabearonce
07-25-2010, 04:59 AM
I loved Lightning... I know, she was incredibly cold at first, but then she realized she didn't have to be... I dunno I loved her... From how pretty she looked to the cool things she did in battle :)

Future Esthar
07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
But unlike those characters Hope has not much of a cause to fight since something happened to him that could not be helped.

Serah and Dajh could be brought back but not Nora.

Hopeīs cause is the same as Vanille and Fang.

The difference being that Vanille and Fang felt responsible for past mistakes.

Hope starts whiny and I understand how he feels.

But later he overcomes his fears.
He turns out to always be the one to encourage the others and lead the way.

The kid has itīs merits despite not being a Rambo.

razorrozar7
07-30-2010, 07:55 PM
So the warriors of light from FF I were better characters than lightning...? Honestly...? Do you seriously expect me to believe that or agree with it...?

Well put. The warriors of light were barely character at all.

Eagle299
07-31-2010, 10:17 PM
But unlike those characters Hope has not much of a cause to fight since something happened to him that could not be helped.

Serah and Dajh could be brought back but not Nora.

Hopeīs cause is the same as Vanille and Fang.

The difference being that Vanille and Fang felt responsible for past mistakes.

Hope starts whiny and I understand how he feels.

But later he overcomes his fears.
He turns out to always be the one to encourage the others and lead the way.

The kid has itīs merits despite not being a Rambo.

You know who else wasn't Rambo? Rydia. And Rydia's involvement in her story was a hell of a lot more tragic than anything that happened to Hope. Her mother was killed by two knights from a neighboring kingdom who then used a magic bomb ring to destroy her village. Cecil and Kain even admitted fault to this right in front of her, then tried to kidnap her. True, in Cecil's defense, he thought he was just slaying an evil dragon, part of his sworn duty as a knight, and delivering an item for his king. He had no idea killing the dragon would kill an innocent woman just defending her village, nor did he know he was delivering a WMD. But from Rydia's POV, he was every bit the stereotypical evil dark knight. I would have severely questioned he judgement if she didn't sic Titan on Cecil and Kain when he walked up to her and said, "Our Bad."

And she got over this a hell of a lot faster than Hope did. Even her new found fear of fire when she had to.

Hope, OTOH, got loaded onto a train by Nazi Stormtroopers for merely being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a muscle bound idiot and his ragtag rebel group rescued him and his mother from being exiled to the hellish enviornment of the world. His mother joined the fight, and died in the effort to fight the power. Hope held a grudge against the guy who did everything in his power to protect both himself and his mother, merely failing to protect her, not killed her.

So Hope is more whiny and less emotionally mature than a 6 year old girl.

Zora
08-02-2010, 01:31 AM
But who is more realistic? Hope or Rydia?

Also, while it's a bit of a stretch to say that Snow is at fault, from Hope's point of view Snow was at fault because his terrible leadership put people in danger. Snow had great intentions, just not the skills to go with it. And that's one of Snow's flukes we see again and again.

Dreddz
08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Lightning knew how to slap a bitch when they got out of hand so I liked her somewhat.

LowCaloriePie
08-02-2010, 09:41 PM

More like Rydia is more strong and emotionally mature than a fourteen-year-old boy. Rydia's strong nature as a character doesn't make Hope any more of a weak one. No one could expect either kid to get over the trauma of their respective losses within the timeline of each game's story.

Zora
08-03-2010, 04:58 AM

More like Rydia is more strong and emotionally mature than a fourteen-year-old boy. Rydia's strong nature as a character doesn't make Hope any more of a weak one. No one could expect either kid to get over the trauma of their respective losses within the timeline of each game's story.

It's perhaps worth adding that Rydia may have had a lot more time than any other character in the game in the summoner's world. More than enough time to absorb the loss of her parents. Chapter 7, where Hope comes to term with Nora's loss, or at least begins to, occurs, what, maybe three days after Nora's death? A week at most.

dayrinni
08-27-2010, 03:08 AM
I beat the game a few days ago.

I am very impressed with Lightning's fighting skills. They are very entertaining to watch I must say. It was the main reason why I kept playing the game.

My quick thoughts on Lightning as a character:
When I first started playing, I had no clue what the characters were talking about in regards of Pulse/cocoon/focus/etc, and all that jazz. After beating the game, I went back and started to watch many of the cut scenes on youtube to understand the beginning better. I dunno, I guess her personality just grew on me after watching them. She seemed real to me. I enjoyed her reasoning for changing her name. It is childish, but she was young and immature at the time and had to grow up fast. It was nice seeing her admit that to Hope. She has a lot of walls up and there is other scene whetr she is with Snow on the cliff there, talking about Serah. She let some of those walls down. So she does have something inside of her but keeps it buckled up. I wish the game had less characters (I think this for all FF's), so the story could focus heavily more on them. So...if they had less characters (or just did a better job in the story telling) in FF13, I'm sure Lightning (assuming they kept her) would have been a much more interesting character. They tried to show it but it wasn't really enough unless you really thought it about/watched the cut scenes back to back.

Just my opinion/perspective on things.

Nebulance
09-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Wasn't Tidus the major protagonist? I mean, yes, Yuna was one of the main characters, but it is Tidus' story...

In any case, yes Lightning is a badass.

VeloZer0
09-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Wasn't Tidus the major protagonist?
In theory, but there are some (including myself) that consider his contribution to the story to be marginal in comparison to that of Yuna or Auron. (as in I feel that the whole game could have essentially gone down just the same if he was never there)

AntagonistGB
09-07-2010, 04:35 AM
I really despised Lightning. She had virtually no reason to act the way she did. I dunno, nothing about her felt sincere, and she really went out of her way to make me hate her by beating up characters that I preferred to her for, again, no reason.

As for the Tidus protagonist thing, yes, Yuna and Auron are the central focuses of the story, but Tidus is who we see the game through. It's his story because he's telling it to us, and everywhere he goes, we go. Also the game begins with his birth and ends with his death. That has to count for something. :V

And as for Hope, he probably has the best story arc. Either him or Vanille. While my favorite character in the game is Sazh, hands-down, seeing both of the former from characters I couldn't stand to characters I genuinely liked was something I can't really say I've experienced in a Final Fantasy game before. Contrast to Lightning and Fang, who started out obnoxious, had no natural growth, and randomly decided at various intervals to be less bitchy. (and in Fang's case, skate back and forth between being a bitch and mother figure to the group)

BG-57
09-12-2010, 10:22 PM
She has some cool qualities, the stoic samurai ethic and her take no prisoners battle style. I even like the way she shows frustration by saying 'Tch'. She's not really emotionless, she just internalizes really well.

That being said, her reveal of her softer side is not handled all that great, although better than Hope's conflict with Snow. She maintains the facade too well and drops it too suddenly, so it feels a bit strange.

She's a good example of the Valkyrie warrior type beloved in the FF series, but there are better ones: Agrias and Beatrix, to name two.

Clo
09-12-2010, 11:48 PM
She's one of my favorite characters in the game so far.

Ultima Shadow
09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Completely off-topic:

So Hope is more whiny and less emotionally mature than a 6 year old girl.According to a certain official strategy-guide, Rydia is apparently 7 when she's a child. :greenie:

But who is more realistic? Hope or Rydia?
When I play FF4, the only thing in this entire world that's real to me is adult Rydia's two bouncy bazanagas. /smug

Kenshin IV
10-11-2010, 07:55 AM

[.Pearl.]
12-08-2010, 05:26 AM
I think you're talking about Shadow from FF6.

Lightning is the greatest character ever. She is finally a female who isn't afraid to kick some ass to get where she wants, much like Ashe was (who also rules). I loved that she tried so hard to be stoic but her real feelings came out when Hope was in danger.

Shaibana
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
i rlly like lightning ^^ dunno wy... but i just like her
my favorite character from FF13 is Hope though^^ hes cute :P and i like his voice =) it just totaly fits him

nvr_mind
01-25-2011, 01:43 AM
;2933537']I think you're talking about Shadow from FF6.

Lightning is the greatest character ever. She is finally a female who isn't afraid to kick some ass to get where she wants, much like Ashe was (who also rules). I loved that she tried so hard to be stoic but her real feelings came out when Hope was in danger.

This. I really don't see how anyone could dislike Lightning. One of my reasons for sticking with this game.

nirojan
01-25-2011, 04:24 AM
I dunno about WORST CHARACTER EVER, but she's not as memorable as the older protagonist. On the other hand, characters in X & XII were pathetic. Not all of them, but reading some of the other comments I'm sure you guys know who. Lightning makes them look like a steaming pile!

nvr_mind
01-25-2011, 04:59 AM
IMO, Balthier is quite underrated.

dambaz
10-01-2011, 01:35 PM
i thought lightning was brilliant eerything from the way she talked,acted,fought and looked (loved the red cape hanging down one side) all the above mentioned seem to fit with her past and why she was like that i think people would disslike her more she kept runnin round asking if people where alright or if they needed to blow there nose.

WhiteStorm
10-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Did you heard and saw Vanille? Or Hope? Now those two are godawful.

Jiro
10-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Probably a thread worth putting to bed. If you want to continue discussing Lightning, or any characters, feel free to start a new thread! I think these debates are good ones actually! Critiquing character is awesome.