PDA

View Full Version : Tales Studios Nearing Bankruptcy

Gilghamut
06-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Long time no post from me. Found this regarding the developer of the 'Tales' series.

Tales Studio, the Namco Bandai subsidiary responsible for the long running Tales series of RPGs, has been revealed to be in dire financial straits.
The company is 100% privately held by Namco Bandai, so its public reporting of accounts is limited, but what it has published recently is none too promising:

These figures essentially show an annual loss of 1 million dollars and an accumulated debt of 21 million dollars, exceeding their total assets – the company will either go bankrupt, “restructure,” or go cap in hand to Bandai bosses begging for more cash based on promises of future success – which may be problematic considering the size of the loss they are dealing with themselves.
An alternative might be a re-absorption into Namco Bandai, although this would not guarantee any success in actually tackling the decline of the franchise.

Tales Studio Near Bankruptcy – Tales Series Doomed? | Sankaku Complex (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/06/20/tales-studio-near-bankruptcy-tales-series-doomed/)

Mo-Nercy
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
The parent company, Namco, posted a big loss for 2009 earlier this year, I believe. So I don't know if they would want to re-absorb Tales or give them a hand out. It's a shame. I love Tales of Phantasia =(

Rad Bromance
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Is Tales of Arcadia one of their titles?

Jesus that game was terrible.

Dreddz
06-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Not surprising for a developer that churns out the exact same game every time. I was done with the Tales series years ago.

Jiro
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Not surprising for a developer that churns out the exact same game every time.
This could be said for a number of developers, really. I'm still sad to see this, I've been a fan of the Tales style for a while now.

On the bright side, if they release a great game they should bail themselves out :D

qwertysaur
06-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I love the tales series. The battle system is a lot of fun. :p

Slothy
06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
On the bright side, if they release a great game they should bail themselves out :D

Depending on just how much more debt they have than assets they may never get to make another game. At some point things like restructuring or the parent company bailing you out, especially if they're suffering from some hard times themselves, are not only unlikely but impossible.

Hopefully things aren't that bad mind you. I haven't played a Tales game since Symphonia, but it was the best game on the Gamecube. And I do mean that in the best possible way even though that statement isn't really saying much. :D

LunarWeaver
06-22-2010, 05:29 PM
By the time I beat Tales of Vesperia, I realized I harbored hatred for the series as if it broke up with me on prom night or something. The love we had once shared years ago was gone. But regardless, I'd hate to see them sink fo' sure or anything. They often showed glimpses of doing something different, only to throw in every RPG cliche they could find by Googling "RPG cliche lists" all around any originality. Made me saaaad.

Clo
06-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm playing Tales of Destiny right now and it's not so bad. Did the series grow progressively worse?

Vermachtnis
06-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I haven't played a Tales of game since Abyss. Partly because I don't own a current gen system and partly them not releasing the hand held games over seas. Tales of Hearts is suppose to be really good, why won't they release it over here. I'd buy it.

Vyk
06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I've only played 2 Tales games. I didn't hate them. But I didn't beat them. They both wound up feeling like a chore. One and two generations ago. Never really tried any other Tales games. I hope they get absorbed by another company and learn to branch out. But we'll see

black orb
06-22-2010, 10:20 PM
>>> Thats what they get for not releasing all the good Tales games over seas..:luca:

VexNet
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm playing Tales of Destiny right now and it's not so bad. Did the series grow progressively worse?

I think it's the oppossite, they've gotten progressively better.
I loved Symphonia, enjoyed Destiny, loved Vesperia and look forward to playing Abyss and Graces

Laddy
06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Tales of Legends II, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of the Abyss are some of my favs.

This is awful news. :(