PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms! Mushrooms!

Chris
06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I have developed a disturbing mushroom craving. I've been eating nothing but mushroom-related stuff, but mushrooms are great for your health, so it's not like I'm feeling guilty after indulging in mushrooms.

What is your favorite mushroom dish? Do you like mushrooms? Don't smoke 'em, eat 'em.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UIXOn06Pz70/SRodJfcENoI/AAAAAAAAFb8/qDovyKTe7RA/s800/Mushroom+and+Spinach+Crepes+with+Goat+Cheese+and+Balsamic+Drizzle+1+500.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/3162687261_b2b13d7362.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UIXOn06Pz70/R_Vh6HYm2AI/AAAAAAAACiE/iZFHwbYsWfg/s800/Creamy+Stuffed+Mushroom.jpg

BarelySeeAtAll
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
They're so slimy and disgusting :(

But they are good in a classic spag bol :D

Clo
06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I love mushrooms. And that first picture looks DELICIOUS.

xXsarahXx
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Mmmm i love mushrooms and will eat them with generally everything and put them in anything that i cook.

That middle dish looks yummy, is that a chinese mushroom dish?

Chris
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
They're so slimy and disgusting :(

Wut? Nuh uh!

They are delicious, and I have spent many hours in the forest picking muhsrooms. And then eating them.

:D

BarelySeeAtAll
06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Aww!! I remember when I was a wee lass in wales we went picking mushrooms somewhere, I probably liked them back then but now I have a mind of my own..

Icky and slimyyyy :p

Miriel
06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I never used to like mushrooms until a few years ago. I still think the texture is pretty funky, but the flavor is so wonderful.

There's this tiny French take out place nearby that changes their menu every month. And in February 2008, they had a wild mushroom and sage pasta that blew my mind. Toward the end of the month, when I knew they would change the menu again, I bought 3 orders of the pasta and froze them. But that only lasted me like 2 weeks. Since then, I've been checking the restaurant menu every single month to see if its back on the menu. It's been over 2 years and hasn't made a reappearance on the menu, and every time I check and I don't see it, it makes me want to cry. :(

I've tried making the dish myself, but I never really come close. I think the mushrooms are steeped in clarified or brown butter. The whole dish was light and powerfully savory at the same time. Ahhh, I wish I could eat it again!

Inferno
06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
They are delicious and smell good ! Go shrooms !

Chris
06-23-2010, 08:34 PM
There's this tiny French take out place nearby that changes their menu every month. And in February 2008, they had a wild mushroom and sage pasta that blew my mind. Toward the end of the month, when I knew they would change the menu again, I bought 3 orders of the pasta and froze them. But that only lasted me like 2 weeks. Since then, I've been checking the restaurant menu every single month to see if its back on the menu. It's been over 2 years and hasn't made a reappearance on the menu, and every time I check and I don't see it, it makes me want to cry. :(

I've tried making the dish myself, but I never really come close. I think the mushrooms are steeped in clarified or brown butter. The whole dish was light and powerfully savory at the same time. Ahhh, I wish I could eat it again!
If I come across a dish I really, really like, I usually just ask for the recipe and 98% of the time, they give it to me. When a dish is so good that you begin to dream about it, a possible rejection doesn't really seem all that threatening. :D

xXsarahXx: I'm not sure, I just googled it. But, I could throw a couple of good suggestions out there.

Chloe.
06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Meh, mushrooms are okay when they are in something, but I couldn't eat them on their own and I hate it when there's HUGE slices of them in food. That second picture looks disgusting :stare:

Hot Shot
06-23-2010, 08:42 PM
I always liked mushrooms even as a kid, which sucked because whenever I got pizza with my friends, we never got any mushrooms because they hated it. Those mushroomless pizzas scarred me for life :Oo:

xXsarahXx
06-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I always liked mushrooms even as a kid, which sucked because whenever I got pizza with my friends, we never got any mushrooms because they hated it. Those mushroomless pizzas scarred me for life :Oo:

Oh my god, a pizza without mushrooms?! You poor soul you :(
I always get double mushrooms on pizza lol

Aurey
06-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Portobello burgers. Yum. Love all mushrooms, except for psilocybin because I am not hardcore.

Rantz
06-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Mmm, mushrooms! Chanterelles and St. George's mushroom! Mmm! They're so delicious!

http://www.canadianfreestuff.com/forum/ishop/items/mushroom%20mini.gif http://www.canadianfreestuff.com/forum/ishop/items/mushroom%20mini.gif http://www.canadianfreestuff.com/forum/ishop/items/mushroom%20mini.gif

Miriel
06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
If I come across a dish I really, really like, I usually just ask for the recipe and 98% of the time, they give it to me. When a dish is so good that you begin to dream about it, a possible rejection doesn't really seem all that threatening. :D

I've asked for the recipe! They wouldn't give it. :(

Shlup
06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I love mushrooms! But not shiiiiiitake; those are gross. I like to make portabellos into pizzas, with marinara, green olives, corn, and mozzarella cheese on a grill.

Chri$, post recipes!

Fujiko
06-23-2010, 09:06 PM
MUSHROOMS! I . LOVE . MUSHROOMS!!! :kaoclove:

They are delicious, and I have spent many hours in the forest picking muhsrooms. And then eating them.

:D

:love:

Freya
06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Gross. :x_x:

Hythloday
06-23-2010, 10:18 PM
I would kill for that second picture.

Specifically, I would kill Toad from Mario.

Breine
06-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I <3 mushrooms!

Shiny
06-23-2010, 11:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UIXOn06Pz70/SRodJfcENoI/AAAAAAAAFb8/qDovyKTe7RA/s800/Mushroom+and+Spinach+Crepes+with+Goat+Cheese+and+Balsamic+Drizzle+1+500.jpg

I don't like mushrooms, but that looks delicious! :drool:

Chris
06-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Guys, here's the recipe for the second picture:

Five Mushrooms in Vegetarian Oyster Sauce

2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
12-14 pieces baby bok choy-like vegetable
4.75 ounce King Oyster mushroom, sliced 2.5″ long and 1/4″ thick
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons vegetarian oyster sauce, divided
3.5 ounces fresh black mushrooms, halved
4 ounces white mushrooms, halved
4 ounces oyster mushrooms
3.5 ounces white beech mushrooms, pulled apart
kosher salt to taste

1. Heat a wok on high and swirl 1 teaspoon vegetable oil around. Add vegetable and sprinkle with salt. Stir around for a few minutes as the vegetable gives off liquid. The vegetable is done when it stops giving off liquid. Remove to serving plate.

2. Make sure there’s no water in the wok (the vegetable will give off liquid) and reduce to medium heat. Add remaining teaspoon of oil and swirl around. Add King oyster mushroom and 1 teaspoon vegetarian oyster sauce. Stir around for 2 minutes. Add black mushrooms and another teaspoon of oyster sauce. Stir around for another 2 minutes. Add the rest of the mushrooms and the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetarian oyster sauce and stir as it cooks for about another 5 minutes, or until all the mushrooms have cooked through. Pile mushrooms on top of the vegetable and serve.

I'm trying this tomorrow, and I have at least twenty recipes that produce mouth-watering results. I will post some of them later on.

oddler
06-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I like to make portabellos into pizzas, with marinara, green olives, corn, and mozzarella cheese on a grill.

What the fuck, corn on a pizza?

I love mushrooms, mostly on pizza. I'm addicted; it's a crisis. ♪

Nominus Experse
06-23-2010, 11:58 PM
hduasnl

xXsarahXx
06-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Guys, here's the recipe for the second picture:

Five Mushrooms in Vegetarian Oyster Sauce

2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
12-14 pieces baby bok choy-like vegetable
4.75 ounce King Oyster mushroom, sliced 2.5″ long and 1/4″ thick
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons vegetarian oyster sauce, divided
3.5 ounces fresh black mushrooms, halved
4 ounces white mushrooms, halved
4 ounces oyster mushrooms
3.5 ounces white beech mushrooms, pulled apart
kosher salt to taste

1. Heat a wok on high and swirl 1 teaspoon vegetable oil around. Add vegetable and sprinkle with salt. Stir around for a few minutes as the vegetable gives off liquid. The vegetable is done when it stops giving off liquid. Remove to serving plate.

2. Make sure there’s no water in the wok (the vegetable will give off liquid) and reduce to medium heat. Add remaining teaspoon of oil and swirl around. Add King oyster mushroom and 1 teaspoon vegetarian oyster sauce. Stir around for 2 minutes. Add black mushrooms and another teaspoon of oyster sauce. Stir around for another 2 minutes. Add the rest of the mushrooms and the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetarian oyster sauce and stir as it cooks for about another 5 minutes, or until all the mushrooms have cooked through. Pile mushrooms on top of the vegetable and serve.

I'm trying this tomorrow, and I have at least twenty recipes that produce mouth-watering results. I will post some of them later on.

Mmmmm that sounds really good! Let us know if it works coz ill try that too if it does :D

fire_of_avalon
06-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Mushrooms were made by the devil and are distributed by smaller, meaner devils.

Fujiko
06-24-2010, 12:37 AM
I like to make portabellos into pizzas, with marinara, green olives, corn, and mozzarella cheese on a grill.

What the smurf, corn on a pizza?

Yes, because it's delicious. :D

Raistlin
06-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Mushrooms were made by the devil and are distributed by smaller, meaner devils.

Shlup
06-24-2010, 01:24 AM
WTF is "vegetarian oyster sauce" supposed to be?!

black orb
06-24-2010, 04:07 AM
>>> Whenever i see them I think they are poisonous and im going to die if i eat them..:luca:

Mo-Nercy
06-24-2010, 06:42 AM
I like the green ones that give you 1UP.

Also, enoki. They're great in a soup or 'hot pot' dinner.

Shlup
06-24-2010, 06:47 AM
>>> Whenever i see them I think they are poisonous and im going to die if i eat them..:luca:

Me too; I've never eaten a mushroom I picked myself.

Rodarian
06-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Mushrooms are an alright thing..Not overly fond of them..

I can make a mean Portabella Mushroom with Balasmic, herbs and pinch amount of white cheese...

qwertysaur
06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
If you are going to pick mushrooms make sure you can tell which ones are not safe to eat!

For example this looks like a tasty treat right?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/Destroying_Angel.jpg

Eat it and you will most likely die. :(
Under a spoiler because picture is enormous.

vinnie's mini's
06-26-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a habit of eating raw mushrooms.... :roll2

I like mushrooms in salads and with steak, I'm not a huge fan of them with pasta though. :|

Chris
06-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I eat a mushroom if I see one, not caring about dying, as the deliciousness of it nullifies all fears. It other words: no mushroom is safe. Also, I enjoy my forest trips.

rubah
06-27-2010, 02:23 AM
MLT Die Before the Next Ciddies Winter 2010^^^^