PDA

View Full Version : Kratos is a Jerk

champagne supernova
06-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Just finished God of War 3. After playing it, I honestly really disliked Kratos. Not because of his brutality (although it was occasionally excessive), but just because of his entire attitude.

For example, he basically destroys the entire world to get revenge on Zeus. But perhaps, if he hadn't been such a toss as the God of War, the entire pantheon might not have turned against him. And then, at the end, he basically refuses to hand over Athena's power, even though Athena could use it to fix the world. If he really hates the world so much, why didn't he just off himself. Seriously

NeoCracker
06-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Just finished God of War 3. After playing it, I honestly really disliked Kratos. Not because of his brutality (although it was occasionally excessive), but just because of his entire attitude.

For example, he basically destroys the entire world to get revenge on Zeus. But perhaps, if he hadn't been such a toss as the God of War, the entire pantheon might not have turned against him. And then, at the end, he basically refuses to hand over Athena's power, even though Athena could use it to fix the world. If he really hates the world so much, why didn't he just off himself. Seriously

I think you're a bit off on why things happened the way they did. :p

All the negative emotions of Pandora's box corrupted the gods. They began turning hateful and spiteful. That was a major factor, as well as Kratos being an overall unpleasant chap, though that in and of itself was their fault as well.

And he didn't return Athena's power in order to damn the world, but he gave them the ability to have hope, and move forward living without the need of the gods. His last act was actually far removed from those of a jerk. :P

Dreddz
06-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Kratos is one of the worst gaming characters to gain popularity. I find it really hard to like the character, even in a cool anti-hero sort of way. Thank god the GOW series has other redeeming features.

champagne supernova
06-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I think you're a bit off on why things happened the way they did. :p

All the negative emotions of Pandora's box corrupted the gods. They began turning hateful and spiteful. That was a major factor, as well as Kratos being an overall unpleasant chap, though that in and of itself was their fault as well.

And he didn't return Athena's power in order to damn the world, but he gave them the ability to have hope, and move forward living without the need of the gods. His last act was actually far removed from those of a jerk. :P

It's just that Kratos can't just say, you know what, this is actually all my fault. The whole reason for his vengeance all leads directly to his actions. Firstly, he became Ares' slave because he didn't want to die/lose a battle.

Secondly, although Ares assisted in it, it was ultimately Kratos' bloodlust which made him attack the temple, killing everyone in it, including his family. If he wasn't such an aggressive ****, it would never have happened.

Thirdly, regardless of the effects of Pandora's Box on Zeus, him being more ruthless a God than Ares is what ultimately caused Zeus to destroy him. This is after Athena warned him.

So, all the bad things that happened to him were basically a result of his own actions. And he has serious anger management issues. Like letting go of Pandora because Zeus insulted him. Seriously.

I reckon Kratos was spoilt by his parents and bullied as a child. Explains his behaviour perfectly.

Laddy
06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
It's characters like Kratos that make gaming suck right now. It's not about compelling character development (Kratos have none) or interesting personality traits (Kratos is an unlikable ass), it's about who's biggest macho man in gaming, at it sucks.

Slothy
06-25-2010, 08:19 PM
It's just that Kratos can't just say, you know what, this is actually all my fault. The whole reason for his vengeance all leads directly to his actions. Firstly, he became Ares' slave because he didn't want to die/lose a battle.

Secondly, although Ares assisted in it, it was ultimately Kratos' bloodlust which made him attack the temple, killing everyone in it, including his family. If he wasn't such an aggressive ****, it would never have happened.

Thirdly, regardless of the effects of Pandora's Box on Zeus, him being more ruthless a God than Ares is what ultimately caused Zeus to destroy him. This is after Athena warned him.

So, all the bad things that happened to him were basically a result of his own actions. And he has serious anger management issues. Like letting go of Pandora because Zeus insulted him. Seriously.

I reckon Kratos was spoilt by his parents and bullied as a child. Explains his behaviour perfectly.

With regards to killing his family, let's keep in mind that they weren't supposed to be in the village. Ares manipulated him knowing he'd kill everyone there swiftly to have him kill his own family.

So after being used by Ares for years and tricked into killing his family, he becomes a whipping boy for the rest of the god's with the promise, as he understands it, that they'll take away the memories and the guilt that plague him. And even after they give him the near impossible task of killing the god of war in exchange for finally getting what he wanted they screw him over by telling him essentially, "oh sorry, we were never going to take away the memories and guilt despite making you work for it for the last ten years. But it's not a total loss since you have our forgiveness. And then when he tries to end his suffering by killing himself the gods even deny him that by saving him before he can die and telling him he has to be the new god of war. No choice in the matter, we're just going to force you to become exactly what you've hated for so long. And then when you don't like it and take out that anger by being exactly what we told you to be we're going to kill you for it.

Everything that happened may have happened because he was a ruthless killer and made a bad choice years before, but the gods never hesitated to use him every chance they got. Can't really blame him for deciding to kill them.

As for not giving Athena the power from Pandora's box, it's hard to blame someone who's been used and betrayed by the gods, including Athena, so often for choosing to give the power to man rather than being ruled by a god on a mountain who couldn't care less about any of them.

I'm not going to say that Kratos is the best written character out there, but there is something about him that suits a greek myth setting. And more importantly, I think his actions are understandable, if not relatable or forgivable.

It's not about compelling character development (Kratos have none)

I disagree to some extent. God of War was quite well written if you ask me, and there was some development and growth of Kratos as a character, especially towards the end where Ares almost breaks him, and at the very end when the gods yank the rug out from under him. It's hard not to feel at least some sympathy for him after being used in the way he was, being promised to be free of the pain, but not only not getting what they implied in their promises, but not even being able to end his life. The second game wasn't nearly as well written, and though the third was better it still didn't reach the first really. To say there was no character development is inaccurate if you ask me.

Rostum
06-26-2010, 01:18 AM
When you go to hell and back a few times, wouldn't you be a jerk? I honestly don't mind how much of a dick he is, the games are still great to play.

Laddy
06-26-2010, 02:07 AM
I'm not denying the quality of the games, I'm denying Kratos's appeal as an engrossing character.

NeoCracker
06-26-2010, 02:41 AM

With regards to killing his family, let's keep in mind that they weren't supposed to be in the village. Ares manipulated him knowing he'd kill everyone there swiftly to have him kill his own family.

So after being used by Ares for years and tricked into killing his family, he becomes a whipping boy for the rest of the god's with the promise, as he understands it, that they'll take away the memories and the guilt that plague him. And even after they give him the near impossible task of killing the god of war in exchange for finally getting what he wanted they screw him over by telling him essentially, "oh sorry, we were never going to take away the memories and guilt despite making you work for it for the last ten years. But it's not a total loss since you have our forgiveness. And then when he tries to end his suffering by killing himself the gods even deny him that by saving him before he can die and telling him he has to be the new god of war. No choice in the matter, we're just going to force you to become exactly what you've hated for so long. And then when you don't like it and take out that anger by being exactly what we told you to be we're going to kill you for it.

Everything that happened may have happened because he was a ruthless killer and made a bad choice years before, but the gods never hesitated to use him every chance they got. Can't really blame him for deciding to kill them.

As for not giving Athena the power from Pandora's box, it's hard to blame someone who's been used and betrayed by the gods, including Athena, so often for choosing to give the power to man rather than being ruled by a god on a mountain who couldn't care less about any of them.

I'm not going to say that Kratos is the best written character out there, but there is something about him that suits a greek myth setting. And more importantly, I think his actions are understandable, if not relatable or forgivable.

It's not about compelling character development (Kratos have none)

I disagree to some extent. God of War was quite well written if you ask me, and there was some development and growth of Kratos as a character, especially towards the end where Ares almost breaks him, and at the very end when the gods yank the rug out from under him. It's hard not to feel at least some sympathy for him after being used in the way he was, being promised to be free of the pain, but not only not getting what they implied in their promises, but not even being able to end his life. The second game wasn't nearly as well written, and though the third was better it still didn't reach the first really. To say there was no character development is inaccurate if you ask me.

I'm pretty much with this exactly. He's far from great, I mean he is no gem, but he's still quite well written and plays out his role perfectly.

Laddy
06-26-2010, 04:11 AM
And if I returned from hell, I'd be an emo nutcase.

Mo-Nercy
06-26-2010, 05:13 AM
All Greek gods are jackasses in that they have several unlikeable and decidedly 'human' qualities about them.

Kratos is somewhat of a jerk, but isn't that why we're supposed to love him? And it is justified jerkiness, after all.

Laddy
06-26-2010, 06:23 AM
He's unlikable to me. He's such a smurfing jackass that he's unrelatable and unlikable, IMO.

Rase
06-26-2010, 06:49 AM
I didn't mind him in the first game. Second and third games just make him a dick though. Felt like they took a decent character and made him quite unlikable, but maybe that was their idea.

Bolivar
06-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Man A LOT of people hate Kratos. I think the biggest part of the games is the wonder at the grand adventures, like you take in from a well-done summer blockbuster, and that's what the creators always intended.

Link in the first Zelda has absolutely 0 character development, traits, etc. and its still a great game. There's more than one ways to skin a cat, and to make a great game as well.

I think Vivi22 summed it up pretty great, I would just add that this is what happens in greek mythology if you read it - the gods screwing over everybody for their own selfishness and then doing it again. God of War fits perfectly into that.

Rase
06-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Link in the first Zelda has absolutely 0 character development, traits, etc. and its still a great game. There's more than one ways to skin a cat, and to make a great game as well.
I don't think anyone is disputing that the GoW series are very well-crafted games; it's just the main character is an insufferable prick. The combat in the games is only tied with Bayonetta for me (I'm sure some will hate me for comparing the two), and the production values are definitely top-notch. I'd just rather I didn't get urges to throw Kratos off a cliff and have his attempt at suicide be successful this time.

Rostum
06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
I've never really felt that way. Sure, he's a jerk but I enjoyed seeing him wreck havoc and be an utter douche to the gods. It's a cruel universe he lives in, whether he's a dick or not, so may as well try and survive in it.

In other words, I think sometimes members on this forum exagerate stuff way too much.

:p