PDA

View Full Version : Screw soccer! Tennis is where it's at!

Breine
06-25-2010, 06:50 PM
So, who's watching Wimbledon these days? - and who are you rooting for?

I've tried to watch as much as possible before going away next week, so I'll sadly not be able to watch the finals.
Oh, and how bonkers was the Isner vs. Mahut match?! I mean, 11 hours!! Jesus Christ, that's some crazy :bou::bou::bou::bou:!

Bunny
06-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Speak English.

Psychotic
06-25-2010, 06:55 PM
I heard it was 10 hours. Are you lying to me, Breine?

champagne supernova
06-25-2010, 06:58 PM
It was 10 hours at the end of its 2nd day. They played for another hour yesterday before Isner won.

Shame, but they made Isner play today. Got annihilated. Unsurprisingly.

Breine
06-25-2010, 07:04 PM
I heard it was 10 hours. Are you lying to me, Breine?

I'd never lie :roll2

It was 11 hours, though!

seiferalmasy2
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Totally agreed. I can't wait til the latter stages for Soderling v Nadal, I expect Soderling to kill him. Can't see fed winning it this year but you never know.

Fed's first match was also exciting stuff.

I think the title is Soderling's personally.

The Isner match was 11 hours 5 minutes

Cuchulainn
06-26-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm not a tennis fan per say but I am a huge fan of Hanescu spitting at drunk english twats. He actually should have leaped over & beat :bou::bou::bou::bou: outta them. I mean, if you're gonna get done. Make sure you have their blood on your knuckles.

Mo-Nercy
06-26-2010, 06:34 AM
It's been a really good tournament so far. Most of the top seeds have had to battle in 4 or 5-setters in at least one of their rounds. I'm particularly keen on the upcoming Hewitt vs. Djokovic match. Not just because I'm Australian, but because Hewitt's actually in good form and could cause a massive upset.

Poor Nicola Mahut. He looked like he just wanted to go home after losing that epic 11 hour match, not stand around and shake some hands. I also had a good laugh when the speaker introduced Anne White as a Former Wimbledon Champion but then paused as he couldn't think of something to say for Tim Henman (I think he went for Former British No. 1 eventually).

And I'm rooting for Federer. I love the guy. He's just all class. And I'm glad to see that he was able to get back on track with a solid win against Clement. I think Murray and Soderling are the only two top 10 players to have played to their best so far in the first week, so look out for them. But my tip for the final is still Federer to lose to Nadal in 4 sets.

edit: I've also just heard about the Victor Hanescu incident. For those who don't know, he spat in the direction of some allegedly offensive people in the crowd. After that he lost all desire to win and proceeded to step into the court with each serve, intentionally foot faulting and throwing the game. After a while of this, he tried to call it quits by walking over to the umpire and extending his hand for an end-game handshake, the umpire refused because you can't just forfeit a game of tennis, but Hanescu went on with it and shook the hand of his opponent (Daniel Brands) and left the court. The media are slamming him for unsportmanlike conduct and I guess that's fair enough. He could've at least faked injury Djokovic-style if he didn't want to go on.. but I'd like to see all the facts first. Maybe he had a good reason to act the way he did. Thoughts anyone?

charliepanayi
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Totally agreed. I can't wait til the latter stages for Soderling v Nadal, I expect Soderling to kill him. Can't see fed winning it this year but you never know.

Fed's first match was also exciting stuff.

I think the title is Soderling's personally.

The Isner match was 11 hours 5 minutes

Nadal beat Soderling today ;)

Federer out :(

Rocket Edge
06-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Hard to see Federer knocked out but he just wasn't at the races today. Everytime there was a duece on Berdych's serve he bottled it. His forehand wasn't at its fluid best. That and Berdych was in one of his moods. When that guy puts his mind to it he can beat anyone.

Sorry to see the Soderking knocked out. I'm rooting for Murray or Djokovic from here on in. :)

Mo-Nercy
07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Now that Fed's out, I'm rooting for Djokovic. He has this sinister look to him, but that's why I like him. Sometimes you just want the bad guy to win.

Also, John Isner on Letterman reading the Top Ten (thoughts that ran through Isner's mind during the 11 hour tennis match). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSuK-OH7opg)

champagne supernova
07-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Football teams I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: South Africa, Serbia, Portugal.

Tennis players I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Federer.

Can anyone guess the relationship between all of them?

Seriously, I think I'm jinxing them all. Nadal will most likely win it now, although Djokovic (if he's still in, haven't really been following him) has the ability to upset Rafa.

Fujiko
07-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Screw soccer! Tennis is where it's at!

Darn right. :radred:
I used to play tennis before, and it is the most fun and addicting sport ever. Ever!

Mo-Nercy
07-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Football teams I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: South Africa, Serbia, Portugal.

Tennis players I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Federer.

Can anyone guess the relationship between all of them?

Seriously, I think I'm jinxing them all. Nadal will most likely win it now, although Djokovic (if he's still in, haven't really been following him) has the ability to upset Rafa.
Murray may have it in him to knock him out first. What with being British and wanting to win his 'home' Grand Slam and all that jazz.

It would be very cool to see a finals match up between Djokovic and Murray. Don't assume that Djokovic is a definite to be there though. Berdych is a bit of a surprise to see in a slam semi final, but in his youth he was labelled the 'next big thing' so to speak and has a lot of talent. Taking down Fed may be the step up in confidence he needs. Against Djokovic, who's a little injury prone and has a slight tendancy to choke, he could get up.

The women's title is Serena Williams' for the taking.

Rebellious Eagle
07-04-2010, 12:54 AM
I really wanted Federer to win, too, as he's my favorite tennis player! But now that he's out, I don't really mind who wins, as long as it's not Nadal. Djokovic isn't so shabby, though.

Mo-Nercy
07-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Berdych vs. Rafa. I don't really know much about Berdych's game, but the Aussie commentators have said that he has a similar style of play as Soderling. Berdych is quite a tall guy compared to Soderling however, so I imagine he'll have a better service game. Rafa could find it hard to be break the guy.

I personaliy hope Berdych wins. I dislike Nadal xD.

Rye
07-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Tennis is fun to watch, but tennis players seem so mean that it kind of turns me off from the sport. They're always throwing rackets and spitting and stuff. Sportsmanship is a big thing for me.

charliepanayi
07-04-2010, 09:55 AM
But those are the best sort of tennis players to watch!

champagne supernova
07-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Agreed!

Mo-Nercy
07-04-2010, 12:36 PM
You say that, but then Lleyton Hewitt is just about everyone's most hated tennis player. xD
Marat Safin was a favourite of mine though, and he was quite a loose cannon.

Breine
07-05-2010, 01:09 PM
I must say I was surprised when I learned that Federer didn't even make it to the finals.

But congrats to Nadal and Williams.