PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraft Time. ^_^

NeoCracker
06-26-2010, 03:23 AM
To start, I have never read any of H.P. Lovecrafts works, I have only seen some of the movies based off oAf them. Recently, however, I picked up H.P. Lovecraft: The Fiction, a collection of virtually all his stories.

Now, as a little fun event, mostly for myself, I'll be reading, in the order the stories are presented, this book. After completeing each story, I intend to post up my review of it before starting with the next one.

Here is a list of all stories written here.

1. The Beast in the Cave
2. The Alchemist
3. The Tomb
4. Dagon
5. A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson
6. Polaris
7. Beyond the Wall of Sleep
8. Memory
9. Old Bugs
10. The Transition of Juan Romero
11. The White Ship
12. The Street
13. The Doom That Came to Sarnath
14. The Statement of Randolph Carter
15. The Terrible Old Man
16. The Tree
17. The Cats of Ulthar
18. The Temple
19. Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
20. Celephais
21. From Beyond
22. Nyarlathotep
23. The Picture in the House
24. Ex Oblivione
25. Sweet Ermangarde
27. The Nameless City
28. The Quest of Ironan
29. The Moon-Bog
30. The Outsider
31. The Other Gods
32. The Music of Erich Zann
33. Herbert West - Reanimator
34. Hypnos
35. What the Moon Brings
36. Azethoth
37. The Hound
38. The Lurking Fear
39. The Rats in the Walls
40. The Unnamable
41. The Festival
42. Under the Pyramids
43. The Shunned House
44. The Horror at Red Hook
45. He
46. In the Vault
47. Cool Air
48. Call of Cthullu
49. Pickman's Model
40. The Silver Key
41. The Strange High House in the Mist
42. The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
43. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
44. The Coulor out of Space
45. The Descendant
46. History of the Necronomicon
47. The Very Old Folk
48. Ibid.
49. The Dunwich Horror
50. The Whisperer of Darkness.

I'll finish typing in the list later.

Essentially, you can use this thread to talk about Lovecraft in General, or for specific stories of his, though I'd prefer you keep to the current story I won't limit you. Just be sure to use spoiler tags, and be sure to make it known what story you are referring too. (I remember reading an FF VII thread, and out of no where was a spoiler about XII, which I'd just started playing. :p)

Anyone interested in following along, I urge you to do so, as it would be fun to discuss each story with someone who has it fresh in their minds.

Anyway, I shall begin with the first book, The Beast in the Cave.

Chris
06-27-2010, 12:07 AM
One of my all-time favorite games was based on H.P. Lovecrafts' work, and it is called "Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness". It is truly an interesting story, and I remember not being able to sleep for days after finishing it. Demons dwelling in the wells. Truly horrific. :D

Rice Cake
06-27-2010, 01:38 AM
You're gonna summon Cthulhu if you're not careful...

H.P. was probably the most important writer within the horror/sci-fi/fantasy/suspense genres. Have fun with your marathon!~

NeoCracker
06-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Haven't had a lot of time, though given they are all basically short stories, I've read two so far. (Screw reviewing after each one, I think I'll get to into it to stop. :p)

Anway, as on the list, first off was The Beast in the Cave. In all honesty, not a whole lot happens in this story. It is nothing more then a single event in a mans life, but in the short while that it took place, Lovecraft does amazingly well at setting up an atmosphere and allowing you to see, as it were, into the mind of the man in the cave. I wasn't at all surprised by the twist at the end, but on the same token I don't think that's what he was going for anyway.

The second was The Alchemist. A short story about a cursed man that spans over the actions of his life. Again, not a whole lot happens, but H.P. continues to create an amazing atmosphere with a his words. On a whole I enjoyed it more, though there was a strecth of story at the end that really didn't need to be there. After he throws his torch at the Wizard, he goes to the underground lab, and comes back before he is killed. It seemed like an utterly pointless treck, and didn't really improve on the story, character, or atmosphere in any way.

Up next is "The Tomb" and "Dagon."

The Man
06-27-2010, 04:23 AM
By the way, for people who haven't bought anything by Lovecraft yet, Barnes & Noble has his complete works for $12+tax (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/HP-Lovecraft/H-P-Lovecraft/e/9781435107939). It's the only place I'm aware of that publishes his entire works in a single edition, and it's a lot cheaper than any other edition I'm aware of. The only downside is that the book is a door stopper.

Wolf Kanno
06-27-2010, 06:30 AM
I need to read Lovecraft's works, seeing how much the Persona games build off of them and after reading the Necronomicon which was based off his works, I must say I am truly intrigued to read his stories.

NeoCracker
06-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Thats actually the book I picked up. :P

Anyway, I read both The Tomb and Dagon.

The Tomb is probably my favorite one of the four I've read. As always, the atmoshpere is simply amazing. The protaganist sees many strange and supernatural things as he comes and goes from the mansion, though in the end no one believes him, though you are given to reason to believe these supernatural event truly took place, just not in the way it may have first been presented.

Dagon is almost as awesome to be honest. A man coming back from a war gets stuck on a deslote land that errupts from the ocean floor. This is probably the best visual depction of the first four.

On too 'A reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson and Polaris.