PDA

View Full Version : Horrific World Cup Sound...

Rad Bromance
06-27-2010, 05:09 AM
That awful bee swarming sound...

Can someone explain it to me? Is it some kind of inside joke for Football/Soccer fans? Many YouTube videos have a little ball you can click to hear it over the audio of the video you're watching, some other board I post on had it playing on it, and the other day Adult Swim had it playing in place of the actual audio of their advertisements at random. It's possibly the worst sound I've ever heard and literally has me grinding my teeth in seconds.

So, discuss that terrible sound here! :)

Vermachtnis
06-27-2010, 05:16 AM
It's a vuvuzela. It's a loud annoying, phallic-shaped noise maker and it has a two v's and a z in it's name. No wonder it's popular on the internet.

rubah
06-27-2010, 05:24 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/132921-general-make-fun-your-favorite-american-english-world-cup-thread.html

Fujiko
06-27-2010, 05:45 AM
That awful bee swarming sound...

Can someone explain it to me? Is it some kind of inside joke for Football/Soccer fans? Many YouTube videos have a little ball you can click to hear it over the audio of the video you're watching, some other board I post on had it playing on it, and the other day Adult Swim had it playing in place of the actual audio of their advertisements at random. It's possibly the worst sound I've ever heard and literally has me grinding my teeth in seconds.

So, discuss that terrible sound here! :)

Omg you nailed it! IT SOUNDS LIKE A BEE SWARM! That's what I said to everyone else in Sweden that it sounded like. It's so annoying! They ruined everything! And they're still ruining it! The players can't hear eachother let alone the referees, the commentators can't hear themselves speak, and us watching can't hear anything else other than that frustrating sound. They should be banned, those vuvuzelas. BANNED! You can barely hear the crowd cheering on anymore (the cheering makes it all that more awesome). They ruined it!! Argh! :mad2:

BarelySeeAtAll
06-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Euurgh some kid had one on our school playing field and it drove me nuts - all I wanted to do was laze in the sun and at the least block out the sound of kids shouting and screaming. Next thing I hear is a lone..v something or other and it alone is enough to drive me up the fence. If I could have found that little fucker I would've made sure that thing never made another noise again, and he would feel pain.

A lot of it.

Old Manus
06-27-2010, 12:29 PM
In before champagne supernova wittering about 'culture'

Christmas
06-27-2010, 12:31 PM
http://thenoobcomic.com/headquarters/comics/00382.jpg

Iceglow
06-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Vuvuzela's are annoying but they're a big part of celebrating in South Africa. I think that it's much like how clackers (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Gee2K3XQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg) or whatever they're called used to be a big part of english football. In the past you would often hear entire stadiums spinning these around so much so that all you'd hear is a massive "clack clack clack clack clack" roar. So just think sure we might have removed the clackers from our games and in time hopefully South Africans will leave the Vuvuzela alone at home where it belongs. Until then however we're going to have to just suffer it.

Psychotic
06-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Basically, South Africa sucks.

Jiro
06-27-2010, 02:09 PM
hopefully South Africans will leave the Vuvuzela alone at home where it belongs. Until then however we're going to have to just suffer it.

There were vuvuzela(s) at my football matches yesterday. Reffing with that :bou::bou::bou::bou: going on is fucking hard.

Iceglow
06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
To be fair, when the players at the world cup complained about the ball I laughed at them because what they should have complained about was that fucking noise! How can you even think when you're listening to that?

Fujiko
06-27-2010, 02:43 PM
To be fair, when the players at the world cup complained about the ball I laughed at them because what they should have complained about was that smurfing noise! How can you even think when you're listening to that?

Exactly.

Iceglow
06-27-2010, 03:09 PM
So far it's nice to see the England fans in the stadium out yelling/singing the vuvuzela even if they're an anoyance in the background of the vuvuzela.

Fujiko
06-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah. :kaoclove:

Mirage
06-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I am so damned glad I don't c are about soccer. I wouldn't have been able to watch the matches with those fucking vuvus.

Chemical
06-27-2010, 05:27 PM
<a href="http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19041-what-makes-the-sound-of-vuvuzelas-so-annoying.html"> What makes the sound of vuvuzelas so annoying</a>

You're welcome.

EDIT: also you'll notice that compared to initial matches the sounds of the vuvuzelas seem to have dwindled enough to hear the chants, singing, and drumming of fans. This is due to the recent implementation of a new filter that helps to drown out the audible droning.

Also. England got well smashed today by Germany, WooTs! Also. Viva la World Cup and 10 am beer.

Raistlin
06-27-2010, 05:29 PM
If we're biologically programmed to find them annoying, why were they made in the first damn place?

Chemical
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM
If we're biologically programmed to find them annoying, why were they made in the first damn place?

Read the article.
Or don't.

But basically a single well crafted vuvuzela operated by an "artist" is to the cheap plastic mass noob operated vuvuzela of the world cup as a single well crafted violin operated by an "artist" is to an amphitheatre of idiots screeching a bow on :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty plastic violins with crappy nylon strings.

In other words, a single vuvuzela is not able to make such an annoying sound but rather only a mass of incapable idiots could master that obnoxious buzz.

Fujiko
06-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Read the article.
Or don't.

But basically a single well crafted vuvuzela operated by an "artist" is to the cheap plastic mass noob operated vuvuzela of the world cup as a single well crafted violin operated by an "artist" is to an amphitheatre of idiots screeching a bow on :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty plastic violins with crappy nylon strings.

In other words, a single vuvuzela is not able to make such an annoying sound but rather only a mass of incapable idiots could master that obnoxious buzz.

Precisely. :mad2:

Raistlin
06-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Read the article.
Or don't.

I skimmed the article to get the to "why is it annoying" part. A second glance and I also found this: "A single vuvuzela played by a decent trumpeter is reminiscent of a hunting horn – but the sound is less pleasing when played by the average football fan."

So the lack of quality plus the quantity. I get that.

Fujiko
06-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Also, don't forget that the bee swarming sound is constant. Smurfing constant throughout the game.

Tokimadoushi
06-28-2010, 07:33 AM
hopefully South Africans will leave the Vuvuzela alone at home where it belongs. Until then however we're going to have to just suffer it.

Could be worse, you could actually live in the country, having to go to sleep with them blaring at all hours of the night and early morning :mad:

South Africa's traditions are smurfing retarded.

I am inclined to agree there, we have some rather strange customs - in fact there was a big controversy as to whether Fifa would allow a tribal sacrifice of a cow during the opening ceremony...

Basically, South Africa sucks.

I was flamed on my facebook page for hating the vuvuzela. When the world cup was starting everyone was filled with this competitive patriotism; it was rather sickening. When we lost out of the WC (as everyone knew would happen but were too wrapped up in proving they were more patriotic than the Jones's to admit) the fervour died down within days. Now all the flag-wavers and vuvuzela-blowers are back to moaning about the government and the police force again. Strange, isn't it?

Raistlin
06-29-2010, 04:01 AM
xDDDD

Wait, wait. It's a Daily Mail article. Approach with extreme skepticism.

Vermachtnis
06-29-2010, 04:29 AM
True or not, probably the latter, it was funny.

Tokimadoushi
06-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Wow, talk about looking for publicity! :D