PDA

View Full Version : Scare me!

Clo
06-29-2010, 06:08 AM
My favorite genre of movie is the horror flick. I love horror! I like movies that explore the creepy things we're often afraid to think about. I like monsters, and people making stupid decisions that sometimes make you laugh.

What is everyone's favorite horror film? What is the scariest, or just the plain best quality horror film you've ever seen? There's so many of them out there, and most are garbage.

I think my favorite might be Day of the Living Dead, but I'm sure there're others I'm forgetting.

Pheesh
06-29-2010, 06:15 AM
My favourite horror would probably be 'The Orphanage', but not because of the horror in it, just because it's absolutely beautiful.

As for movies that scare me, I get freaked out by eerie kids (stuff like 'the ring'). But aside from that I do love watching horror, and it's definitely the best genre if you have some friends over and you all sit down and watch it with all the lights off.

blackmage_nuke
06-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I cant remember alot of good ones off the top of my head but Cube got my heart pumping in a few sections. (Mainly because I wasnt expecting it to be a horror movie). Then again Im not really sure if it was horror or just gore

Mo-Nercy
06-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Un-friggin'-doubtedly A Tale of Two Sisters. Elements of tragedy as well as a decent dash of horror. And a helluva twist at the end. It's the best. Don't confuse the original 2004 Korean version with it's American remake (The Uninvited) because the original is just so much better.

I also have a soft spot for The Eye trilogy. The last one is my favourite though (known as The Eye 10 or The Eye Infinity or simple The Eye 3.

edit after reading BMN's post: Cube is filed with the Sci-Fi genre in my local video rental place, with Star Trek box sets and the like, but I think it's a great horror film. The sequel and prequel were pretty sucky though.

qwertysaur
06-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Too many horror films rely on gore to be scary. :(

~*~Celes~*~
06-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Modern day "horror" flicks dont' scare me so much these days. Too much gore, like qwert said.

I'm scared of slow moving, silent, human-like but horribly disfigured or animalistic creatures. Also tornadoes. *shudders*

Laddy
06-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Despite my hemophobia, I do love horror films. Psychological horror is amazing, I love spiritual horror. Especially whrn the danger is seemingly untangible.

~*~Celes~*~
06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Unseen things are so, so scary.

I guess you could say mindsmurfs are the scariest things to me.

Rase
06-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Requiem for a Dream, once you remember that it isn't exaggerating things much a lot of the time.

Laddy
06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Me as well. OMG Kari we are so SIMILAIR!!!

Shiny
06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
I think my favorite might be Day of the Living Dead
I'm starting to like you more and more.

My favorite horror film is pretty much anything by George Romero. Night of the Living Dead will definitely been high on the pedestal. In terms of modern day horrors, I really thought Quarantine was done well.

Levian
06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
The Cube is great, although I think it's more fun than actually scary. The Prequel ain't so bad, but the sequel is just plain terrible. It breaks every rule that was so great in the first one.

Supernatural horror doesn't work on me. No vampires, zombies, aliens, monsters, ghosts and psychic kids. I just find it ridiculous and it's just a moodkiller mostly. No rule without exception, The Others, The Ring and The Descent are very good movies.

Harper's Island is definitely the best slasher I've seen. Sure it's a mini-series, but it's really more of a 9 hour long movie since the end was planned from the beginning. The problem with most slashers is that you just don't care about victims at all, and I think this one was pretty neat that way. I eventually ended up caring about people that I never imagined I'd care about after the first hour. I also liked the concept, 25 suspects, 1 killer. Nothing like a good whodunnit. :p

Say what you will about the Saw series, but the first two movies are just great. If they had stopped after that and hadn't run down the series by an endless line of sequels with progressively more and more gore I'm sure they would've been cult classics by now.

blackmage_nuke
06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
I think the scariest thing about The Cube was the questionable maths :p

Pheesh
06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I have to agree with Lev about 'Saw'. Number one was an absolutely great movie, and the series' name may be a bit tarnished now, but I still think it's a must-see movie.

Raistlin
06-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I've never been a huge fan of horror films in general, mostly for the lack of an engaging plot. However, there are some horrors which have a spectacular plot and development, such as The Shining, which I really enjoy.

Also, last year I made a scary movie thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/126133-scary-movie-night.html) where people gave me suggestions and discussed their favorite horror films. Anyone looking for some horror films to watch might want to look through that.

Chris
06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm a huge horror movie buff too, and these are some of the best I have ever seen, and I cannot stress enough just how essential they are:

http://theaterofmine.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/martyrs_mb065b15d.jpg http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/apr08/frontiers1sheet.jpg

Clo
06-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Requiem for a Dream, once you remember that it isn't exaggerating things much a lot of the time.
Oh man, Requiem for a Dream was the first movie since I was 12 to give me a nightmare. I watched it right before I went to bed, and I just had this surreal dream that scared the daylights out of me. The movie itself was just disturbing, but the imagery in the movie definitely leaves a sick impression.

I think my favorite might be Day of the Living Dead
I'm starting to like you more and more.
I LOVE zombie movies. Not in the new it's a pop culture hit kinda way, but they were the first scary movies my parents let me watch when I was very little so I really like them. Out of all of them, I think Day of the Living Dead had the best quality storyline.

And after looking at your old thread, Wes, I saw Silent Hill in the OP: That's my favorite videogame-movie film. It wasn't very scary, though pretty creepy, and I loved the imagery. :)

Oh, and someone mentioned the Descent here too! That movie is great! Made me jump.

Shiny
06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I really wanna see a horror movie called Thirst, but not the Asian one about vampires. There's a film called Thirst about people stranded in a desert. It's apparently like "Open Water in a desert." It looks pretty interesting. With that said I really enjoyed Open Water, but Open Water 2 sucked.

Pheesh
06-30-2010, 02:37 AM
I didn't find it super scary, but the exorcist is also a favourite of mine.

black orb
06-30-2010, 02:45 AM
>>> Jaws was scary..:luca:

Mo-Nercy
06-30-2010, 02:52 AM
I think Saw II was as good as the original. The syringe pit scene always makes me cringe. But yeah, after that, the series went downhill.

Raistlin
06-30-2010, 05:22 AM
And after looking at your old thread, Wes, I saw Silent Hill in the OP: That's my favorite videogame-movie film. It wasn't very scary, though pretty creepy, and I loved the imagery. :)

I haven't seen it yet; I was talked out of it for Scary Movie Night precisely because it "wasn't very scary," and I needed something to scare the crap out of my friend.

Oh, and someone mentioned the Descent here too! That movie is great! Made me jump.

Eh, The Descent is ok for the standard "jump out at you" horror with absolutely no plot. But it is pretty lame otherwise (mostly for the aforementioned lack of plot or any sort of development).