PDA

View Full Version : Demon's Souls

Vagrant
06-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Demon's Souls has finally (finally!) reached the UK and I wondered whether it's worth a purchase?

Anybody from outside the EU got this and played it? I've heard the difficulty is extreme to say the least but it's the most rewarding experience in recent gaming. That's a pretty bold statement so anyone who has this what did/do you think so I can decide whether to spend my hard earned (well maybe) cash.

Slothy
06-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Easily one of the best games released in years. Anyone capable of enjoying a difficult game owes it to themselves to pick it up.

And I'll also say that while the difficulty can be unforgiving, it's by and large a very fair game. There are rarely any times where you'll die feeling like you couldn't have done something differently or been more careful and have pulled through instead. Every single death is just a learning experience.

ljkkjlcm9
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Favorite game in years. Definitely worth a purchase. Anyone who doesn't own this game is just a sad human being.

The difficulty is over stated IMO. You die because of your own mistakes. You die because you rush. You die because you round the corner without caution. And every time you die, you learn. And once you learn it all, the game is actually rather easy. But essentially, take your time as you go, if you die, try a different strategy there.

THE JACKEL

Mirage
06-29-2010, 06:21 PM
It's difficult if you can't tell poor game design from actual difficulty.

Bolivar
06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
It's a game that deserves to be celebrated. Not sure what to say other than that.

BUT I WILL SAY that the game is really only difficult in comparison to today's gaming environment. It's really a game that should have came out 15 years ago, but it got released today with HD graphics and the Havok physics engine (unless you count King's Field :p ). If you like games like Ghosts n Goblins or even the old school Castlevania games, you just may cry when you play this.

Just don't hold me accountable when you find a 3rd person action RPG isn't exactly like them!!!

I doubt you've ever held a Dual Shock 3, let alone play Demon's Souls.

Mirage
06-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Doubt all you want.

JKTrix
06-29-2010, 11:35 PM

I'm not going to argue that the game is polished, but there is a distinct lack of hand-holding in Demon's Souls compared to most high-profile games in today's 'environment', as Bolivar put it. I think that's a big part of why its fans adore it.

Those kinds of games have continued to exist in recent years, though they are largely under-the-radar. This game just had good exposure and a starving audience. Glad it's out in Europe now, though I guess you can't play with any of us on the North America servers.

Mirage
06-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Lack of hand holding is fine. It's just that there's so much unnecessary time sink :bou::bou::bou::bou: in there. Doing the easy part of a stage 50 times isn't making the game harder, just more annoying.

Slothy
06-30-2010, 02:31 AM
Lack of hand holding is fine. It's just that there's so much unnecessary time sink :bou::bou::bou::bou: in there. Doing the easy part of a stage 50 times isn't making the game harder, just more annoying.

If you're doing the easy part of a level 50 times it's because of how you play, not the game. I've gone into new levels before and made it to the boss in one go because I was careful and didn't run through like an idiot. It's not necessary to level a lot if you know what you're doing.

Bolivar
06-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Doing the easy part of a stage 50 times isn't making the game harder, just more annoying.

I know, that's probably why the developers made unlockable shortcuts in every stage as you progress further :p

The doubting continues!

ljkkjlcm9
06-30-2010, 05:50 AM
If you couldn't tell, even if there is only one dissenting person in this thread.... the game essentially has either huge fans, or huge detractors.

The only reason you have to repeat an easy part of a stage is your own mistakes in later parts of a stage. And as stated, most levels have paths/shortcuts that you unlock.

If you have ever played a Monster Hunter game, I think it's comparable to that. The game gives you little to no hints, and you're on your own. The main difference being that in Monster Hunter it's huge monsters you have to take down, while with Demon's Souls, it's the actual levels you have to learn and overcome.

THE JACKEL

Vagrant
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
One of the biggest selling points for the game over here is the online community; seeing ghosts of previous players dying and notes left for players etc. Is this just a gimmick or does it really add to the gameplay?

Jibril
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
One of the biggest selling points for the game over here is the online community; seeing ghosts of previous players dying and notes left for players etc. Is this just a gimmick or does it really add to the gameplay?
What does it sound like?

Slothy
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Touching blood stains to see how someone died can sometimes be useful. If you know that someone ran around the corner and died shortly after then you know to be careful. The messages people leave can sometimes be useful as well, but most are worthless. Where the multiplayer really gets interesting is when invading another players game, or when being summoned to help them, but all of that is optional.

Mirage
06-30-2010, 02:16 PM

If you're doing the easy part of a level 50 times it's because of how you play, not the game. I've gone into new levels before and made it to the boss in one go because I was careful and didn't run through like an idiot. It's not necessary to level a lot if you know what you're doing.

Ever heard of exaggerations? :p

Slothy
06-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Doesn't really impact my point though. Unless you're specifically farming for some sort of items or souls, there's never really a reason you couldn't get through a level on the first try. If you're doing a level as many as even five times then you probably need to rethink your strategy and playing style and probably be a bit more careful.

Bolivar
07-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Doesn't really impact my point though. Unless you're specifically farming for some sort of items or souls, there's never really a reason you couldn't get through a level on the first try. If you're doing a level as many as even five times then you probably need to rethink your strategy and playing style and probably be a bit more careful.

And even then, you're still unlocking shortcuts so you don't have to replay the easy part of a level.

McLovin'
07-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Beat the Maneater finally. That fight is pure skill c'mon.

Bolivar
07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Beat the Maneater finally. That fight is pure skill c'mon.

Oh man what soul level were you? The last time I played the game was the 20 or so times I tried to beat him, then decided I'll try 4-2 or something, which I'm having difficulties with as well.