PDA

View Full Version : How we are all going to get on the same server

Levian
07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Is anyone planning on getting the Collector's edition on September 22nd? Raise your hand!

Whoever gets this game first needs to let us all know in this thread which server you pick. The rest of us will follow! I'll sticky this thread later on so it will be around when the game launches. If it is possible to choose servers, then we don't have much of a problem. However, if it's not possible, then whoever gets the game on Sept. 22nd needs to find out how to get a world pass and start handing them out. Hopefully we can just pick servers from the beginning.

I just know it's going to completely suck if we get split across hundreds of servers like what happened in FFXI. D: We need to avoid that at all costs!

Goldenboko
07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I've been searching around about this, it doesn't appear that Square has released any info about how their servers will be setup.

Loony BoB
07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
If no information is set up before the day of release, we will simply have to go with something like "the server that, when in alphabetical order, comes second to last" or something. I'm sure we'll have a thread where we can ensure everyone gets on the right one. First thing we'll need to do is check who is getting the Collector's Edition so we make sure they are all aware of how we're going to do that, who is likely to get he game prepared first, that sort of thing.

From what I've heard on the rumour mill, we will be able to choose servers... hopefully this is indeed the case.

Miriel
07-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I think the closer we get to the launch date, there's going to be a lot of chatter across the various FFXI communities as to where everyone should end up. I'm pretty sure that there's going to be a HUGE chunk of veterans and established communities gathering onto one main server. Which may or may not be something we want to follow. Do we want to be on a server with a crap ton of seasoned players, or start somewhere completely away from all that?

As for picking servers, I don't doubt that Squeenix and pulled their heads out of their ass and made this a much easier process. It took them like 4 years to finally allow people to choose their servers on FFXI, but they got there eventually. Here's to hoping they learned their lesson from that.

Rye
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I think we should try to do something with a mix. Not a huge server filled with veterans, but not a random one either. If that's at all possible!

Loony BoB
07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I think the closer we get to the launch date, there's going to be a lot of chatter across the various FFXI communities as to where everyone should end up. I'm pretty sure that there's going to be a HUGE chunk of veterans and established communities gathering onto one main server. Which may or may not be something we want to follow. Do we want to be on a server with a crap ton of seasoned players, or start somewhere completely away from all that?
I'm pretty sure we want to be on a server that isn't mobbed so that way we won't find ourselves sitting on a server that will wind up getting capped and then everyone else who joins later on has to go to another server. That'd be crap.

I'm not sure all the veterans will end up doing that, though, going to a single server - I think that all the new and oblivious people might go for the first one, though, not understanding the point of the selection. Dunno. I figure most veterans will end up trying to do what I suggested, ensuring they don't get onto a server that will be capped. Nobody wants to be cut out from late arrivals.

Mirage
07-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I know I've got a crowd of guys I would absolutely want to play with. I just hope you guys end up starting on the same server as them.

oddler
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Why not tell them to join EoFF and all of us team up? :)

Mirage
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Because they don't really care about all the players here, you're just a random bunch of people to them.

Goldenboko
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
you're just a random bunch of people to them.

Why not tell them to join EoFF

...:monster:

Del Murder
07-01-2010, 11:21 PM
I also have a handful of friends from FFXI on Pandy/Asura that I know will be playing XIV (and I imagine the Midgard/Quetz folks are the same), though if I had to choose one group to play with it would be you guys. Hopefully we can coordinate this efficiently so that we can all play with our FFXI friends and each other.

Mirage
07-01-2010, 11:29 PM
you're just a random bunch of people to them.

Why not tell them to join EoFF

...:monster:

They think this place stinks, and I see where they're coming from :p.

Rostum
07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Yeah I got quite a few people from my linkshell in FFXI and a few people around where I live that want to give it a go.

It's going to be hard to work out, but I think I can just make everyone I know join whatever server you guys are on. I and a few will be getting CE though.

Freya
07-02-2010, 06:30 AM
We don't want a super low population server though, then the economy will kinda blow when it comes to items :/ Somewhere in the mid range I hope.

Del Murder
07-02-2010, 06:54 AM
It's hard to tell which server is the low population server when you start playing on the first day. :p That's why I think I'll wait a week.

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Even after a week I'm not sure you will really have much of an idea on populations. They will inevitably build up over time, surely? I can't see there being a "super low" population. I'd be interested in the populations of current FFXI servers and how much the economies differed in them.

Keep in mind, high populations also mean high competition for kills. =| That was bad enough on FFXI!

Rostum
07-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't think we'll have an issue with low population servers for a long time. And when that happens, they'll merge servers (like they did with FFXI almost 8 years after its release).

Mirage
07-02-2010, 02:40 PM
It's easy to figure out which servers will be heaviliest populated. Just look at the server names, I'm certain that "Sephiroth" will have more players than "Kuja".

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, if they don't have any server names released a few days before the starting date then we'll just go with something like "the first one alphabetically" or whatever.

Mirage
07-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Server names is following this theme in the alpha, at least, and Sephiroth exists there. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the same sort of naming in the final version.

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I vote against joining Sephiroth because it will be full of people going on about Sephiroth. Any more random but cool names out there?

Goldenboko
07-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Rydia server? :love:

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Is Rydia one too? Is there a list of server names?

Goldenboko
07-02-2010, 04:25 PM
No I was just hoping :monster:

Del Murder
07-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Quina server. :D

Mirage
07-02-2010, 06:59 PM
they're all bad guys

Rye
07-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Seymour Server!

oddler
07-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Zeromus/Garland!

Goldenboko
07-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Ultros server?

Aydin
07-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Whatever it is, we all need to decide on ONE server!

This is gonna be sooo fucking rad!

Rostum
07-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Quina server. :D

Yes please!

I didn't realise alpha had server names. So I'm not sure what ones are there at the moment.

Lionx
07-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I am just going to go where Omecle is going and bring all my friends that i know irl to it. Its going to be awesome like old times :D

~*~Celes~*~
07-04-2010, 07:38 PM
CELES SERVER :jess::jess:

Aydin
07-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Let's have a poll, and whichever has the most votes will be the one we all will stick to.

Mirage
07-05-2010, 12:53 AM
There's no reason to have a poll like that when no one is already playing.

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 12:06 PM
It doesn't really need a poll anyway, really. They're just names. If the server names aren't known until the release day, though, we'll need a thread where we set it up so that people check before they register to a server. I imagine that we'll know the server names before the game begins, though. It just seems to make sort of sense to have that information revealed so people like us can plan ahead. If not, though, we could always say "Post in this thread if you are looking at the list of server names and give yourself a minute or two before checking the thread again to ensure nobody else got the list of server names at almost exactly the same time... first person to post in the thread can pick the server we all go with."

Because again, it doesn't matter what the server name is... so long as we all get on the same one, I'll be happy.

Del Murder
07-05-2010, 05:52 PM
There might not even be the option to choose your own server in the beginning.

KentaRawr!
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
There might not even be the option to choose your own server in the beginning.

Don't say that. :cry:

oddler
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I really would cut my life into pieces.

Loony BoB
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I imagine that at the very least they will have the original world pass scheme where you can give other people codes that allow them to join your server. But hopefully we can just choose anyway.

Mirage
07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
If i can't choose my server, I'm not playing this game. S-E has had so much time figuring this crap out now that I won't have a lot of patience when it comes to player-unfriendly design choices. There's enough of that in FF11.

That being said, I can't really imagine S-E not giving us the option to choose our server in FF14.

KentaRawr!
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
If that were to happen, I'd just delete my character and remake it until I get the desired server.

Loony BoB
07-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Would that even work on the old server system? Wouldn't you need to pay every time you created a character?

Mirage
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
No. You pay for a content ID, and each content ID can hold one character. If you delete the character, the content ID is freed up and you can create a different character there.

One Content ID is included in the initial subscribtion fee.

Of course, this is a retarded system and everyone should be able to make as many fucking characters they want without any additional fees.

Loony BoB
07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Why is it so bad? Just curious. I mean, I know it means it costs to have multiple characters, but surely there should be no need to have multiple characters? I know some people do it for "mule" purposes but that would be a flaw with the item system rather than a flaw with the character system.

Mirage
07-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Unnecessary limitations that only complicate things. And more people would have alternate characters if it wasn't such a timesink to level them (which is a different issue).

Loony BoB
07-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I guess since I prefer to have a single character from start to finish I don't see the problem. I can't imagine why someone would want multiple characters. Seems like a pointless exercise, much like having multiple accounts at EoFF.

oddler
07-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Oddler was the source of Tevyn's income. The only reason I had an extra character was to increase the amount of items I could have on the Auction House at once. A maximum of 7 per character! Getting gil is hard enough and then you want to limit the best method? Blargh.

I don't see the problem with creating multiple characters as long as only one from each account can be in play at once and certain measures are taken to prevent high-level characters from giving unfair advantage to the lower ones. I'm talking about Ex Items and things like that. As long as you have to actually go through and play the character, why not?

Mirage
07-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I guess since I prefer to have a single character from start to finish I don't see the problem. I can't imagine why someone would want multiple characters. Seems like a pointless exercise, much like having multiple accounts at EoFF.

To play as several races. It's nothing like multiple accounts at EoFF. Some people even like to roleplay in FF11 (as crazy as it sounds), and it's hard to be a mithra if you're a galka.

Also, it can be useful to have one character for mage jobs and one for melee jobs, for example. Some mage gear can't be gotten if you choose melee gear instead, and the amount of gear swaps you'd need for playing both a melee well and a mage well would be insane. You also don't need to level the same subjobs (except like ninja), so you only really waste the time needed to do the limit breaks and doing missions again. Some people like to be able to experience the mission storylines of other nations as well, and that can be done on this second character instead of changing nations on your first. Oh yeah, not to mention merits. If you get a lot of mage related merits, you can't get as many melee related merits.

Of course, it'd be something more people did if there weren't as many retarded timesinks in the game.

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I imagine that at the very least they will have the original world pass scheme where you can give other people codes that allow them to join your server. But hopefully we can just choose anyway.
Yes, that's what I meant. There will be a way to get your friends on the same server definitely, just don't expect it to be as easy as a 'Choose your server' menu with a drop down list. It would be nice if they did that though.

Rostum
07-06-2010, 11:14 PM
It would be nice if they did that though.

Considering every single MMO has let you choose your server at release... This ain't 2002 anymore, guys.

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I haven't played every single MMO, so I had no way of knowing that piece of information. Hopefully you're right and FFXIV follows suit!

Rostum
07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
You don't need to. You can just Google that kind of information.

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
EoFF is my Google. :D

Mirage
07-06-2010, 11:31 PM
No wonder you're oblivious!

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
You're not being very clear, Mirage.

Rostum
07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
No wonder you're oblivious!

Thank you!

oddler
07-07-2010, 04:22 AM
You're not being very clear, Mirage.

Thank you!

KentaRawr!
07-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Thank you!

Thank you! You're welcome!

Mirage
07-07-2010, 06:10 AM
I don't know how I could be any clearer.

Del Murder
07-07-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm still not seeing you, Mirage. I thought I had an idea of what you're getting at but it turned out to be nothing.

Rostum
07-07-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm still not seeing you, Mirage. I thought I had an idea of what you're getting at but it turned out to be nothing.

Basically a lot of your opinions on these forums are generally unfounded and have very little research behind them other than what you find in these forums - which isn't much, because these forums have a tendency to be behind on information.

Edit: I'm basing this off what Mirage said and your response of "EoFF is my Google." which noticing over the years seems to legitimately be the case in a lot of cases.

Miriel
07-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Rude. :colbert:

Lionx
07-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Naw man he is just keeping it real. No one comes to EoFF to find information on FFXI and i am almost 100% sure it won't happen for FFXIV either. You are going to have to go to more dedicated sites or at least Google things up else you are going to be behind and left in the dark.

MMORPGs are living breathing beasts and require alot of upkeep and hardcore members to update(wikis are the best for MMOs imo). The majority of the people here and the mentality of EoFF is not one of MMOs in general. Combine the fact that its broaden-ed to all the FFs, its already going to be hard to find anything solid here when the game is live.

Its nothing rude, just it is what it is. Thats fine with me lol.

Miriel
07-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Not the EoFF being behind on news, that I definitely agree with. But the whole, omg you're soooo oblivious, your opinions are unfounded, why don't you just google, etc. RUDE.

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
*giggles* I get it, Murd. For once, I get it, and someone else doesn't!

Rostum
07-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Gees, if you think that's rude then you might as well try to avoid the rest of the world/internet.

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
To be fair, there's a reason people ask questions on the internet. If everyone googled everything EoFF would be boring. As for the reason for Murd's posts, I thought they were a pretty obvious giggle but maybe some people should google their username and figure it out that way. :p

Rostum
07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
To be fair, there's a reason people ask questions on the internet. If everyone googled everything EoFF would be boring. As for the reason for Murd's posts, I thought they were a pretty obvious giggle but maybe some people should google their username and figure it out that way. :p

I thought it was funny too, but I'd rather pick a fight with Del! Come on big boy.

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I have the staff forum for that. :D

Mirage
07-07-2010, 12:59 PM
It was meant as a joke, but it's still got a bit of truth in it :p.

If someone never used anything but EoFF for information (not just about FF14, or final fantasy in general, I mean), you'd turn out pretty unknowledgeable about quite a few things.

It wasn't as much "lol del is so dumb" as it was "lol eoff isn't exactly the ultimate source of info".

I mean come on, don't get worked up over it :p. I don't actually think you never go anywhere but to EOFF for information.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I thought that "You're not being very clear, Mirage" was just Murd trying to be funny, because Mirage called him oblivious. I guess it's something else though. :p

Del Murder
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
It was a pun. I think BoB got it from all the puns we did in the Aiyon days. Yams would have got it right away too.

Mirage
07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Oh snap, I just got in-joked.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Oh crap I just got it.

His name is Mirage.

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
So this is what it's like to get a joke before everyone else.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Congratulations, BoB. :p

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm so happy.

Miriel
07-07-2010, 07:13 PM
It was meant as a joke, but it's still got a bit of truth in it :p.

I totally understood that your post was a joke. I don't think Omecle was joking. Or at least, his "joking" didn't seem as light hearted as your's.

I "got" the Mirage thing a second after BoB posted about it. At first it went right over my head though. :p

Mirage
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
That went over my head too. :(
I didn't get it until Kentarou pointed it out

Rostum
07-07-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm so happy.

(Congratulations!) :love:

I totally understood that your post was a joke. I don't think Omecle was joking. Or at least, his "joking" didn't seem as light hearted as your's.

Someone needs to unbunch their panties. :D

Miriel
07-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Yup, you sure do!

Rostum
07-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Yup, you sure do!

no u

KentaRawr!
07-08-2010, 01:12 AM
For a moment I thought you guys were on to me.

Rostum
07-08-2010, 03:16 AM
What is this thread even about... Oh yeah, servers. I guess if people are patient enough someone can pick a server within the first few hours of them going up.

Hopefully SE release a list beforehand... And if they don't let us select a server then I'm going to rage.

Madame Adequate
07-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Why are you people arguing about how well informed Del is and not arguing about whether we're going to be on Seymour or Ultros (Which are the only two options :doublecolbert:)?

Proxy
07-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I think they should just make it so you can choose whatever server you want to play on, but have a server cap so you can't have like 10382089846 people on one and 12 on another.

Mirage
07-14-2010, 02:09 AM
It would be insanity to even think they wouldn't have a population cap on servers.

Citizen Bleys
07-17-2010, 05:13 PM
I might make a mule on whatever server EoFF picks just to annoy people from time to time, but I'm not going to base my decision solely on where everyone else from here goes.

Octavious
07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
I might make a mule on whatever server EoFF picks just to annoy people from time to time, but I'm not going to base my decision solely on where everyone else from here goes.

Why not?

Ouch!
07-21-2010, 12:07 AM

Why not?
Is it not possible he has other friends he wants to play with as well?

Citizen Bleys
07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
No, just the opposite; I want to meet new people. I met some good friends via FFXI, and I want to do that again. Also, I think that being an EoFF'er on "the EoFF server" would be quite drastically limiting, especially with references to my past at this site (read: I'm not that person anymore so why the hell would I want new people judging me on that basis?) cropping up from time to time.

Basically the same argument I made in the EoFF linkshell thread. I wouldn't mind more of the same experiences I had playing with Del, Miriel, Ouch!, and Ome in FFXI, where it was just a few buddies who happened to be EoFF'ers casually playing and having a good time, as opposed to it being all about EoFF--but to log on every day and hear incessant chatter about what's going on at EoFF, especially EoFF'ers NOT playing FFXIV would drive me bat:bou::bou::bou::bou: insane.

ScottyRedXIII
07-22-2010, 05:01 PM
is the game only available on the PSN???? if so WIN!!!!

Loony BoB
07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
No, just the opposite; I want to meet new people. I met some good friends via FFXI, and I want to do that again. Also, I think that being an EoFF'er on "the EoFF server" would be quite drastically limiting, especially with references to my past at this site (read: I'm not that person anymore so why the hell would I want new people judging me on that basis?) cropping up from time to time.

Basically the same argument I made in the EoFF linkshell thread. I wouldn't mind more of the same experiences I had playing with Del, Miriel, Ouch!, and Ome in FFXI, where it was just a few buddies who happened to be EoFF'ers casually playing and having a good time, as opposed to it being all about EoFF--but to log on every day and hear incessant chatter about what's going on at EoFF, especially EoFF'ers NOT playing FFXIV would drive me bat:bou::bou::bou::bou: insane.
As mentioned before, I can't remember any occasion where EoFF came up even when it was me, Kentarou, Ouch!, Mirage, Omecle, smittenkitten, Levian and co all online at the same time (if that ever happened?). :p The only time I remember talking about EoFF was when we tried to get Shawtiie to register and explain to her what forums are. xD

Having said that, it's (obviously) your call where you want to play, so yeah.

Del Murder
07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
There's going to be plenty of non-EoFFers on our server. We're talking about like 20 people from this forum versus a population of 3,000. There will be ample opportunities to meet new people and have new experiences, so why not choose the server where you can hang with us every now and then when you feel like it? It's not like we are going to consistently bug people who don't join the EoFF LS/parties/whatever.

Miriel
07-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I dunno about you guys, but I am going to bombard Bleys with random EoFF chatter, all the time, everytime I see him. I'm going to follow him around and scream at him about voting in the Ciddies. :greenie:

lol @ you thinking you can't meet new people on a server where EoFFers would only make up like .005 % of the population.

If people don't want to be a part of the EoFF party, they don't have to be. But every time I've played with EoFFers in FFXI, it's been a blast. And I'm really looking forward to getting a bunch of us on the same server. I'm pretty much convinced that it's going to be super fun times.

GTFO debbie downers!

Goldenboko
07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyby7pa0J81qzxzwwo1_500.gif

Citizen Bleys
07-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm not hating at all--but it is easier to meet new people when you go in with zero attachments.

Besides, I've played on multiple servers before, I can do it again.

Del Murder
07-22-2010, 10:21 PM
>>Bleys: hello come to {Y_T_Y_G_7_U_J_J.com} (Y=e T=y G=s 7=o U=n J=f without the _'s) The beast f_inal f_antsy site on the net! enter cupon code eizon74 for 20% off membership

Teuch
08-27-2010, 06:55 AM
i think your search willbe mix up many there are no these type of server man......

Skippy
08-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Would be nice to have a system were you can jump into any server based on who you wanna go questing with. There are some games I've played, mainly sports games, where you can choose the server.

Fingers crossed :)