PDA

View Full Version : The EoFF Linkshell/Group/Clan/Thing

Loony BoB
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I think we should set this up early. First things first, we need to sort out the name and who should set up the group (and thus be the 'owner' of it).

For the name, I nominate 'Eyeson' or 'Eyesonff' because I think that people who join our group from outside of EoFF will find our website easily that way.

For the group starter, I nominate Omecle, Del Murder or Ouch! as I think that they will play the game for a very long time and thus we won't "lose" the group somehow through them quitting.

Rye
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Eyesonff seems the best, since that's what would bring up the best results in Google if searched.

What is a linkshell exactly? Is it like a big guild, or is it a party to do raids in?

Loony BoB
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
In FFXI, a linkshell is your guild/clan/thing. Parties are just whoever you fight alongside, you don't need to be in the same guild/clan/thing in order to party up. You'll inevitably find yourself partying with people of all different languages, which can be fun (although sometimes confusing!).

oddler
07-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm very much in and I also vote for the name Eyesonff. As has been said before, also, when a list of servers or whatever comes out, we'll need to collaborate to make sure we're all on the same one. :)

Del Murder
07-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Even though 'Eyesonff' is probably the best name if we want to promote this site, it's a really dumb name for a linkshell. 'Eyeson' is better. Then again, a lot of linkshells in FFXI have really dumb names.

I don't mind leading it, and Ouch! and Ome are also good choices. My first pick as shell holder would probably be Ome, since he is already playing the alpha/beta versions of the game, and I also think he has experience leading a shell in FFXI (which is something I never did).

Rostum
07-02-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't mind doing whatever. :D Also for release I got a few Aussie friends and a few friends from FFXI that I would love to play with, so hopefully they can join too.

:D

There's also a thing in FFXIV called a Company. Still no clue what it is, but they say something about it helping everyone level and progress together... Hmm...

Goldenboko
07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Eyeson could be sufficient if you just want them to find the frontsite.

Google results for searching eyeson:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e17/GoBo_2008/eyeson.png

Mirage
07-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Technically, in FF11, a linkshell isn't anything more than an ingame chat channel for those with the linkshell item equipped. It doesn't offer any features other than that. There's no guild storage or anything coming with it.

I have no idea if they'll call them linkshells in FF14 though, or if they'll add more features to it.
The only thing the LS system in FF11 had over regular guilds was that you could change linkshells at any time, and have several with you (though only one equipped at a time).

Rostum
07-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Well to be completely honest I'm not playing FFXIV to promote this site/forum. In fact, that'd be the very last thing I'd want to do - so my opinion is the name sucks.

:p I'm still open for some fun!

Freya
07-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Frankly Eyeson is a lame name. We need something funny or just amusing. I always like those makes it seem like the people aren't serious sallies and can take a joke. :D a play on FF words might be entertaining.

Miriel
07-02-2010, 06:32 AM
I agree with Omecle.

I mean, yeah, I do want to promote EoFF. But I think having a linkshell or Company (or whatever it's going to be called) named Eyeson or even worse, Eyesonff is very unappealing. And not only does it sound silly as a group name goes, but it's also very exclusive. Who, besides someone already from EoFF would want to join a linkshell called Eyesonff?

I'm all for having a separate Eyeson linkshell just for EoFFers as like a secondary linkshell. But I would prefer a separate name for the linkshell. Kind of like how during the Elections, it's not like the different parties are named Eyeson Zombies or Eyeson Fat Chocobos. It would be better to have a standalone name, but just link it to EoFF. Fat Chocobos btw would kinda be a neat name for the linkshell.

Del Murder
07-02-2010, 06:51 AM
The more I think about it the more I agree that Eyeson is a sucky name. We could still promote the forums and use it as the official site for our guild/linkshell but our name should be something someone would want to join. Like Mcawesome or Brofist. Or Fatchocobos! That even has an eyeson tie-in.

Rostum
07-02-2010, 07:02 AM
The more I think about it the more I agree that Eyeson is a sucky name. We could still promote the forums and use it as the official site for our guild/linkshell but our name should be something someone would want to join. Like Mcawesome or Brofist. Or Fatchocobos! That even has an eyeson tie-in.

I hope we can seperate names (like we can our character names). I'd so vote for Fat Chocobos, or some cool oldschool FF related name like Onion Knights.

Del Murder
07-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah I'd hope so too. You can do that with your character name so I hope also with the LS name.

Fat Chocobos 4 eva!

Levian
07-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Promoting EoFF won't be something we actively do, but since the base of our linkshell will be the FFXIV forums here, then outsiders who joins our linkshell will probably want to join too.

The name doesn't really matter, it's the people inside it that does, a boring LS name won't be a dealbreaker for anyone. :p I think I've exclusively been part of linkshells with boring and/or sucky names. Eyesonff would tie in better with the forums, but something like Fat Chocobos is fine as long as we connect it well enough with EoFF.

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Some members here are giving me conflicting messages. People have been going on and on about how we need to milk this potential FFXIV community, to get as many people to join EoFF as possible with all sorts of FFXIV stuff, but if you have a random clan name that has nothing to do with EoFF and you don't want to go around saying "HEY JOIN EYESONFF.COM LOL" or something then basically we won't be getting any members. And I don't want to do the latter of those two things. :p

People out there will be looking for two kinds of sites. The first will be FFXIV dedicated sites, which we are not and even if we tried to be we'd not compete, and the second will be for clan/guild/LS/whatever sites. If we have, say, 50 people on the server all with our Linkshell or Company name of "Eyeson" then people will look into that, especially if they join. If we have, say, 50 people on the server all with our Linkshell or Company name of "[othername]" then people won't find our website because it won't rank highly and when they see the name of the website, it won't register with them that "Eyes on Final Fantasy" would actually be the home of our group.

So if we're already giving up on getting loads of members to EoFF then that's cool, but you can give up on promoting EoFF in any way. :p

Rostum
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
So, we're just making this because you guys want to get more members to the forums?

Well, count me out. Hopefully I'll see you guys on the same server. :)

Edit: I just felt I should add my 2cents anyways. I don't think people running by and checking out linkshell names are going to be like "Amg that must be a forum, I'll go sign up!", you'll get the members by them joining the linkshell, getting familiar and friendly with the members, and the forums being known within that internal community.

The idea would be to have a catchy and cute name that people will, in time, be able to associate with this forum.

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that's not the main reason we're making this - otherwise I wouldn't have been in our Linkshell last time around. :p We all want to stay together and chat and play together. As for the "promote EoFF" stuff, I'm guessing you've not seen the FFXIV thread in the Feedback Forum which goes on about doing everything we can to get as much out of the FFXIV community as we can, to get activity boosted at EoFF.

The primary purpose of the group is always going to be enjoyment of the game and whatnot. I was just thinking that a lot of people were seemingly superkeen in that feedback thread on doing everything they could to promote EoFF but a few of them have in this thread already shown that they don't really care to that extent, and I for one don't mind what happens.

But if we aren't starting up a group based on EoFF then I don't think this thread really matters too much... We'll all end up in some group together, anyway, I imagine. As soon as we start getting picky about what name we go with, you just end up disappointing a bunch of people (as I found out). Maybe just go with the old LinkShell name Omecle had for us, although admittedly I can't remember it at this moment. =x

Although I have no complaints if you guys want to go with Aiyon. :shifty: Eizon, Fat Chocobos, whatever works! :D

Goldenboko
07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't think people are getting the right idea by this. It's sorta like a dual effort. I wanted to buy the game once I knew I'd have a PC that could run it and I would've wanted to play with fellow EoFFers. However, if we can attract a few members I don't see how that can hurt or have bad intent. It's not like we'll be creating bots to spam "join eyesonff.com the largest re...".

Hell, I actually though just Eyeson was an okay name. :monster:.

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I thought Eyeson was okay too, but I'm more concerned with having the likes of Murd/Ouch/Omecle/Miriel/etc. happy than I am having me happy as I know they'll probably be putting up with whatever name we agree on longer than I will. =x

However, Eyesonff does, admittedly, suck. It just doesn't work as a group name thing. xD

Anyone who goes around saying "JOIN EYESONFF.COM" is just going to make people not join. I really, really hope nobody here actually does that. I suggest it to friends if they're game for a forum but I would never suggest it to randoms on a game.

Mirage
07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Eyeson is a horrible guild name

It'd be better if you incorporated a part of the website's name into a better guild/LS name.

Levian
07-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Edit: I just felt I should add my 2cents anyways. I don't think people running by and checking out linkshell names are going to be like "Amg that must be a forum, I'll go sign up!", you'll get the members by them joining the linkshell, getting familiar and friendly with the members, and the forums being known within that internal community.

I don't think anyone had anything other than this in mind.

Ouch!
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Hasn't anyone around he learned what happens when you offer me responsibility? No? Oh dear.

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 05:01 PM
No!

Ouch!
07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
As for the name, I vote Overture!

Loony BoB
07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
THAT'S the one! Yes, I am totally up for a return of Overture. It was quality. And hopefully some people will recognise it from Midgard.

Del Murder
07-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Now who's the one giving conflicting responses?

I'm not going to play FFXIV to promote EoFF, I'm going to play to have fun. If I meet fun people I will invite them to our LS/guild/company and tell them that our home site is forums.eyesonff.com, definitely. I'm not expecting people to see the name 'Eyeson' or 'Eyesonff' and go 'oh hey Eyesonff, I wonder what that is, *goes to Google it and then join the forums*'. That's not going to ever happen. The only way people will join our forums is if we tell them to within the community. In which case they already joined the LS, in which case the name doesn't really matter. So let's make the name something interesting and not dumb.

Fat Chocobos is a name that has Eyeson ties to both the elections and gang wars. It's also a FF related name and it's also cool sounding. Who doesn't like the Fat Chocobo? I think it's a perfect name.

BoB, you are already alienating people like Mirage and Omecle, veteran MMO players, because you are making this seem like priority number 1 is to promote EoFF while priority number 2 is to play FFXIV. That's far from the case for me. All I want is to play this game together. If we meet people on the way who want to be a part of our community, so be it, but that won't be my focus in the game. Not unless the owners pay my monthly fee. :p

Miriel
07-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Some members here are giving me conflicting messages. People have been going on and on about how we need to milk this potential FFXIV community, to get as many people to join EoFF as possible with all sorts of FFXIV stuff, but if you have a random clan name that has nothing to do with EoFF and you don't want to go around saying "HEY JOIN EYESONFF.COM LOL" or something then basically we won't be getting any members....

.... So if we're already giving up on getting loads of members to EoFF then that's cool, but you can give up on promoting EoFF in any way. :p

Coming to this conclusion makes no sense BoB. It's not conflicting messages at all, and just because people don't like the silly name of Eyeson for the LS name doesn't mean "we're already giving up on getting loads of members to EoFF".

Omg, I can't even. :twak:

The main reason I don't like the name is cause it just sounds weird as a LS name. But the 2nd biggest reason why I don't like it is because it's exclusive and not very inviting imho. Omecle is right, the best way to get people into the linkshell and then into the forums is to have a fun catchy LS name that will perk people's interest and overall being known as a super friendly in-game LS, that also has the benefit of a strong website/forum presence. Focusing on all Eyesonff all the time will HURT EoFF's efforts to gain more members. That's like requiring everyone to have Eyesonff as their last name in the game. It's just too much, and if I weren't a EoFFer already and I saw advertising on the mainsite saying, "Join Eyes on Final Fantasy's FFXIV Linkshell, Eyeson!" I don't think it would appeal to me.

But if it were something like, "Join Eyes on Final Fantasy's new FFXIV Linkshell, The Fat Chocobos!" would be SO MUCH BETTER.

We don't need to be so overt about it that people think that we're overbearing about it. And I don't think we should ever make anyone in the LS feel as though they HAVE to be a part of the forums to be a part of the LS. Just make it so that they want to join on their own because the forums and the LS will be tied so closely together. Like whenever there's a fun event that we're hosting, we can put up the details on EoFF's frontsite and discuss it in the forums. That kind of integration is what we should be looking for.

oddler
07-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I really don't care what it's named as long as it's cool. I don't mind Eizon, Overture, or Fat Chocobos (representing the chat part of the site, as well). As long as I end up playing with all you guys and we're united, I'll be happy. :greenie:

Rostum
07-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Just like to point out that I don't really read any part of the forums except for the FFXIV, FFXI and sometimes General Gaming sections. So I didn't realise the stuff in the Feedback section.

Having slept on this, I have a couple things to say. I'm not really too concerned with it all; I just personally feel the best way we can have both worlds of 'fun name' and 'promote website' is to have a catchy name that can gradually be recognized as Eyes on Final Fantay's linkshell, while not throwing it down anyone's throat.

Also, I would also like to add that I am a terrible leader and FFXIV is a lot different to FFXI so I wouldn't really want to disappoint you guys.

:p

Suggestion! Maybe we should get some nominations for a name and get some polls going? Or is that a bad idea?

Loony BoB
07-03-2010, 12:32 AM
My throat is sore from people jumping down it. :( As I said, I don't mind if we use another name, the idea of Eyeson was just a quick one and I don't think it sounds as bad as other people do.

My favourites are Overture/Eizon at the moment, Fat Chocobos is cool as is Eyeson. If I were to be playing for a long time I'd probably enjoy Overture the most, since it's short, simple and a nice sounding word in general. And obviously I know a lot of people who were in Overture so it brings back good memories. :D Everyone wanted to join!

Miriel
07-03-2010, 05:02 AM
My throat is sore from people jumping down it. :(

Hug it out, BoB. Hug it out. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Emoticons01/hug1.gif

I like Fat Chocobo the best, but I'm sure we can think of a couple more possibilities before we have to settle on a name. We could give it a little while longer and see what people come up with and then vote on it.

Del Murder
07-03-2010, 05:05 AM
Did the previous Overture have a website? Who led it? My only concern about it is using someone else's name and using it to represent something completely different. It would be like me suggesting we use TheShadows, the LS on Pandy that many EoFFers were a part of, whose leaders really have nothing to do with this site.

I'd honestly prefer we use a new name to represent a new beginning. Also a poll sounds like an excellent idea. Let's wait until we get closer to release, though. We don't even know what level of guild/linkshell/company we're working with here.

Rostum
07-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Did the previous Overture have a website? Who led it?

I did. I made a forum for it but since I broke the shell I cancled my hosting and domain name. And I do kind of agree, because when I made it I was just thinking about friends and nothing EoFF-centric. It just ended up that way eventually I think. Would be nice to have a fresh new name though.

:)

Loony BoB
07-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Make it a multichoice poll. *nod*

I'll try to keep thinking of names and put them in as they pop up in my head... and yeah, we should probably figure out how they work first, that's true.

Madonna
07-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Moogle Division!

Freya
07-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Mognet Central!

Rostum
07-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Just for the record, in case you do have a poll up eventually, I like these names: Eizon, Fat Chocobos, Mognet Central, and Onion Knights. Those are my nominations anyway. :D If I think of some I will post them up.

Jessweeee♪
07-04-2010, 02:06 AM
What's so bad about the name Eyeson :confused:

Mirage
07-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Nothing, except everything.

Loony BoB
07-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Eizon does admittedly sound and look cooler than Eyeson, and if you search for Eizon FFXIV and find anything other than this site then I'd be surprised anyway. It's unique to this site, and still looks the goods. It's still quick to type (faster by one letter!), for us on the slow side or for us chatting mid-battle or something. It probably won't be used by other groups on other servers either, hopefully, making it even more unique to ourselves. So I can see why people would favour Eizon over Eyeson, and agree with them. Although I still don't think Eyeson is terrible, enough people do to make it not worth considering any longer.

KentaRawr!
07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Like I said in the other thread, I think that depending on the length allowed for an LS name, it should be "The (old LS name) Overture". Sadly, I can't remember what our LS was called before Overture. :p

I really don't consider Overture to be the LS I was a part of. It was just a continuation of the old one. However, we got a lot of new members in Overture that shouldn't be ignored. That's why I'd love an LS name that acknowledges both of them. As for the main site, we could probably just make our announcement message the main site. Every time they log in, they'd see "Eyesonff.com".

So, basically I'm on the side that we don't name the LS after the site, and instead get new members for the site by making friends with the people we meet there, having them join our LS, and letting them know that our base of operations is here. :p

Lionx
07-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Overture
DaCandyShop
Red Lotus

The only LS that i really cared about :D

The problem with these guilds is that the leader seemingly has to stay on and do things actively otherwise people have trouble mingling with others and then stop doing stuff. This however is less of an issue when theres so many new people around. If a guild gets too big too fast then people will separate themselves into cliques of sorts, where they will only unify for raids and other big group stuff.

So on how i feel about getting just ANYONE on EoFF, don't do it. Its not worth it and in the end has a possible factor of undoing the guild to begin with. Just get those interested here, and foster a nice group thats willing to help newbs get to where they need to be. Don't force it, just go in with a general fun goal and everything else will fall into place. Once everyone is high enough or starting to get to max level proficiencies, they should have a more intimate bond with one another so you can focus on end-game activities.

The reason i say focus on end-game is because if not, they will probably find some group that will. And wouldn't you guys want to do them as well? Those that grew up with you in the game tend to stay with, and i personally would like people that i know to do end-game with than be forced to recruit strangers by the handful.

This is just my opinion though throughout my FFXI experience leading and doing LS related stuff...i could be wrong though since FFXIV is a new game altogether ^^;

Aydin
07-05-2010, 12:54 AM
For the name, I nominate 'Eyeson' or 'Eyesonff' because I think that people who join our group from outside of EoFF will find our website easily that way.

I second that nomination!

Mirage
07-12-2010, 12:09 AM

I second that nomination!

But the logic in that suggestion is terrible...

Citizen Bleys
07-17-2010, 05:27 PM
The Red Wings would be a cool name.

The idea of an "EoFF linkshell" doesn't appeal to me, though. Having all of the EoFF'ers in one shell is one thing, but making the shell all about EoFF is a good way to avoid meeting new people through FFXIV. When I play FFXIV, I'm there to play the blasted game, not chat about a website--and if all the EoFF'ers do is talk about EoFF, it's going to alienate everyone else. In fact, it would influence my server choice in that I'd want to avoid running into people who've been alienated by a shell that's just about EoFF. It would be awkward and unpleasant and that's why I wouldn't want to roll my main on the server with all of the EoFF people.

Why not make a linkshell that's just a linkshell, and then invite EoFF'ers into it? Then invite other people just because they're cool and not drive them away with excessive EoFF chatter/elitism/drama.

Del Murder
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I agree with Bleys completely there.

Loony BoB
07-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought that's what we were doing. :p

EDIT: I can't remember if I ever talked about EoFF on FFXI at all, actually. Even when it was just EoFFers, we talked about FFXI or offline things.

Jowy
07-18-2010, 09:55 PM
<Radiant Order>

my two cents.

Levian
07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
why not make a linkshell that's just a linkshell, and then invite EoFF'ers into it? Then invite other people just because they're cool and not drive them away with excessive EoFF chatter/elitism/drama.

I think this is what everyone had in mind. I know I did, and I hope everyone else did as well! The whole point is just that we'll all be able to have fun together in FFXIV and not be spread throughout several servers like what happened with FFXI.

Miriel
07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Red Wings reminds me of Wing Stop. And that makes me hungry and slightly grossed out at the same time.

Citizen Bleys
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM

EDIT: I can't remember if I ever talked about EoFF on FFXI at all, actually. Even when it was just EoFFers, we talked about FFXI or offline things.

It sounded like "Hey guys let's make an EoFF linkshell," meaning a linkshell about EoFF, not just a linkshell containing EoFF'ers and anyone else we happened to want to socialize with, regardless of whether they give a rodent's hindquarters about EoFF or not.

bhchat did it right.

Loony BoB
07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
It's pretty much the latter.

Octavious
07-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Eizon >>

*Devore*
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Cid's Knights would be a cool name and is also relavent to this website.

Octavious
07-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Well, we have a month 1/2 to decide :)

Masamunemaster
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM

I mentioned it to some people in the Pandy server, and on the PangeaProxima LS(which Ill see if I cant get some of those guys and girls to join us) so I dont know if it got us any or not....but it was easier being a linkshell bag holder so I could advertise the LS.

I like
Cid's Knights
Fat chocos
Eizon

Might I add
Frocobos
Cactuar Nation
and
Eizon Garden(eh a FF8 mention, we can work on it lol)

EDIT: I just did the benchmark thing.....and it wont work:*(

chionos
08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
The best way to draw people in is to build a shell that everyone's jealous of (b/c of numbers, or quality teamwork, or simply fun). They'll find eoff just by googling players' names (good way to look for endgame ls sites). My main persona in any mmo that I play is always Chionos. I've had people on FFXI who've googled my name and found eoff that way. The key to advertising is not advertising. In any case, though, I can think of at least a thousand people from ffxi that I wouldn't want anywhere near eoff, so outright advertising for the site is a double-edged sword. Make friends, build a tight ls, and plenty of opportunities will naturally arise to direct (good) people to eoff, which of course wouldn't be the point of the ls but a pleasant side effect of spending time together.
Anyway I have my own suggestions. I hope to be part of an ls started by eoffers this time. With FFXI I was already entrenched on Shiva by the time most of you started playing, so before any eoff ls began (though I did make a Midgar char. which showed up just in time for everyone on Midgar to disappear)

Scattin' Chocobos
Crystal Knights
The Chocohos
The Kwehs
Heroes of Blight
Moogle Overlord
En Memoria
(The) Lotus Garden
Lotus Eaters
Masque of the Red Lotus Death
Forgotten Symphony
Symphony No. xiv
Light Pirates
Gilgamesh Unleashed
The Gods
Heroes of Hydaelyn
Echoes of Eorzea

Loony BoB
09-01-2010, 01:42 PM
So, with it just a few weeks away, may as well confirm who will and won't be in the shell and get them to agree on a few names and see what we can decide on?

I prefer Eizon. I'm warming to Fat Chocobos but am still pretty much not liking Onion Knights. Not a fan of Mognet as it seems so boring and unoriginal (much like Onion Knights, to be honest!). I would definitely join Danger Geese, but I don't think many would go along with that idea. I live in hope. ;) I think we can all put to bed the idea of using EoFF or Eyeson or Eyesonff or anything like that.

So, my votes would be:
1. Eizon
2. Danger Geese
3. Fat Chocobos

Obviously, I'd love to be in the Linkshell. :D

Miriel
09-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Number 1 for me is definitely Fat Chocobos.

I'm ok with Eizon too.

Loony BoB
09-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh, yeah, for those interested, vote in this thread to choose our server: http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online/133048-eoff-linkshell-group-clan-thing-2.html

Be quick! You snooze, you lose! Not that it really matters what name we go for. :p