PDA

View Full Version : Silly pet-peeves.

KentaRawr!
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I have quite a few pet-peeves with good friends of mine. Most of them have to do with how they talk or type! For example, a friend of mine has recently gotten into speaking like a stereotypical black man. He also decided to alter the way he types to represent his new-found accent! So, instead of typing "I played games with them!", he types "I played games with'um!" Of course, I'm sure I've made a lot of typing mistakes while making this post - like using a hyphen instead of a dash here - but that's mainly because I don't want to memorize the special key combinations! He just mutilates his message to sound black!

Then there's another friend of mine who likes to answer people's problems by stating the required action as though it's a common phrase. Example: "I don't know how to turn off my brother's stupid alarm!" "It's called take out the battery!" I mean, really, just tell the guy to take out the battery. No need to fail at being a smart aleck, now. :mad2:

Do you have any pet peeves about how people type or speak?

BarelySeeAtAll
07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Wow you and I are similar! (unlucky you :p). I hate when people abbreviate, thinking it's shorter in the long run. It's irritating, I mean really how hard is it to just type properly. Typing is even easier than writing things out, do they abbreviate when writing their essays?

Oh no, I forget, nowadays essays are all typed up, word checked, and printed off. Rubbish I say. Some people's voices alone can annoy me, especially if they speak too fast (which I am actually guilty of). But sometimes people make words up believing they are actually words. That's in speech and in writing (alot IS NOT A WORD :mad2: ).

Not capitalising "i" for I, goodness.

"Innit", let's not go there with the chav speak.

Something else I remembered just now, but cannot anymore. That's a bit annoying isn't it?

Chris
07-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Wow you and I are similar! (unlucky you :p). I hate when people abbreviate, thinking it's shorter in the long run. It's irritating, I mean really how hard is it to just type properly.
Agreed, and in the end, you'll just end up spending even more time explaining what you just wrote, so it's not even worth it.

But to be honest, it doesn't really bother me that much. Granted, it does become a bit tiresome trying to decipher every single conversation. :Oo:

KentaRawr!
07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
A friend of mine actually forgot to capitalize their name on an essay. How awful is that? :mad2:

Cuchulainn
07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Online a pet peeve is morons correcting someone's spelling or grammer. You've have got to be a special kind of dickhead to be that much of a pedant.

In work there's a woman who laughs at the end of almost every damn sentence she speaks, it annoys the ever living fuck out of me.

I met this dude through a mate at a party and I come across him every damn time I go to work & he insists on talking to me. I DONT LIKE YOU FUCK OFF.

Oh, I hate over-familiar people. They get too close when talking to me & over-use my name. Dickheads.

Whistling. Some people whistle out of boredom or nervousness. STFU. Sometimes it's not even a particular song it's just a series of tones which makes it worse.

I dont drive but when I'm in the ftont seat I've just as much right to hate this. When you're trying to pull out of somewhere and there is slow traffic, slow enough that people can stop to let you out. IGNORANT DICKHEADS PRETEND THE DONT SEE YOU AND KEEP MOVING, THEY LOOK EVERYWHERE EXCEPT WHERE YOU ARE, YOU'RE FULLING NO ONE YOU TWAT YOU BETTER BHOPE WE NEVER MEET WHERE THERE ARE NO WITNESSES

Birds chirping when I come home from a party late at night/early moring. STFU I NEED TO SLEEP.

Liverpool FC & Rangers FC supporters. Hate them.

KentaRawr!
07-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Online a pet peeve is morons correcting someone's spelling or grammer. You've have got to be a special kind of dickhead to be that much of a pedant.

Online a pet peeve is morons correcting someone's spelling or grammer.

morons correcting someone's spelling or grammer.

spelling or grammer.

grammer

Cuchulainn
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Go get laid nickerless.

BarelySeeAtAll
07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Birds chirping late at night/early moring. STFU I NEED TO SLEEP.

Wow you and I are similar! (unlucky you :p)

;)

Vermachtnis
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm with you guys and abbreviations. Especially when they abbreviate and then type it out beside it. And they keep doing it. If you're going to explain it every time, stop abbreviating!

Also my pet peeve with actual speaking is when people replace "th" with "f."

Chloe.
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah I also hate it when people don't type properly, I even write properly in my text messages xD It's especially annoying when they shorten something and make it like one letter shorter, for example, 'wat' instead of 'what'. How hard is it to type that one extra letter? Or if people just spell things ridiculously wrong, I remember on Facebook a while ago reading someone's status and they wrote 'owt' instead of 'out', it made me want to scream.

BarelySeeAtAll
07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
they wrote 'owt' instead of 'out', it made me want to scream.

Well I use "owt" all the time, and say it too. I take it to mean "anything", same as "nowt" means nothing. i.e. "I haven't got owt :(" = "I haven't got anything :(", and "I have nowt" = "I have nothing". Might seem pointless but it feels natural.

So, in my interpretation and maybe theirs they may not mean "owt" as in "out". Depends on the context though ^__^. If they said "I've gone owt" then they just must be stupid and irritating.

Though, along with your point, people who put "Kool" instead of "cool" are just..:mad2:

Clo
07-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I really dislike it when girls raise their voice at the end of their sentence as if they're asking a question? As if there's no way they could possibly assert themselves by making a definite statement? And everything puzzles them in a way that they have to be constantly inquisitive with their tone?

Like, you know?

Chloe.
07-01-2010, 09:58 PM
they wrote 'owt' instead of 'out', it made me want to scream.

Well I use "owt" all the time, and say it too. I take it to mean "anything", same as "nowt" means nothing. i.e. "I haven't got owt :(" = "I haven't got anything :(", and "I have nowt" = "I have nothing". Might seem pointless but it feels natural.

So, in my interpretation and maybe theirs they may not mean "owt" as in "out". Depends on the context though ^__^. If they said "I've gone owt" then they just must be stupid and irritating.

Yeah they wrote something like 'I'm going owt', (or it was probably 'i is goin owt') so it was annoying. If they'd said in the other way it wouldn't have been too bad, although I still think it looks weird written :p

BarelySeeAtAll
07-01-2010, 10:12 PM
That's agreed, it's meant to be more of a said thing though I think..so to be honest it could be spelt however it wants to be :jess:

Yeah they wrote something like 'I'm going owt', (or it was probably 'i is goin owt')

URGH that's another thing that gets on my wick!! >_< I say it to take the mick but it's another thing when people think they're being serious when they say it!

Crop
07-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Everyone's Facebook status, all the time.

Shiny
07-02-2010, 04:40 AM
So they say things like, "I really literally the movie"?

Vermachtnis
07-02-2010, 04:42 AM
They like literally put everywhere in the sentence?

NorthernChaosGod
07-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Not knowing the difference between "good" and "well"
"Could care less"
Irregardless
"Same difference"
wHeN pEoPlE tYpE LiKe tHiS
Text speak

Clo
07-02-2010, 05:48 AM

I've never seen anyone type like this. I'm assuming it's because they all get killed off.

NorthernChaosGod
07-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah, I still see it. It's even more annoying when people text like that as well.

Rodarian
07-02-2010, 08:18 AM

I've never seen anyone type like this. I'm assuming it's because they all get killed off.

I know someone who types like that and she's in her thirties 0_o

Hambone
07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
So they say things like, "I really literally the movie"?

No, like as in similar to, so NE's talking about this kind of thing:

"That movie, like, sucked."

=

"That movie literally sucked."

It pisses me off too.

Right now what bothers me most is the your/you're thing. I think people should just stop using contractions altogether now. :mad2:

aquatius
07-04-2010, 01:42 PM
With English I'm fairly descriptivist (but spelling mistakes and the like still annoy me) but I get hugely prescriptivist and picky with foreign languages.

Mo-Nercy
07-04-2010, 02:06 PM
An ex-workmate of mine posted this on her Xanga yesterday.

literally, i am PRO at interviews. i am no longer scare of interviews. i dont practice for what im going to say, i just say whatever comes into my mind LOLthe truth. seriously, it is so easy. dont prepare ur answer.coz it just doesnt work LOLis like memorising an essay-____-'' u will just sound like a machine. for me, im not even bothered anymore to think what im gonna b asked. i just answer on the spot.and the most annoying thing about interviews isWHAT SHOULD I WEAR???

She didn't get the job.

Laddy
07-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Scratching nylon seatbelts.