PDA

View Full Version : Linkshell Poll

Carl the Llama
07-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Well no one had put a poll up yet so I thought I would get the process underway, iv read alot of names and like all of them though some various differences will be added.

Poll up ^^

Loony BoB
07-04-2010, 02:27 PM
I think we were waiting for more suggestions. :p Voted anyway, but yeah, things may change, who knows.

Levian
07-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Yup, I think we need a real brainstorm here!

Carl the Llama
07-04-2010, 02:43 PM
That's what the 10th option would be ^^ lol

KentaRawr!
07-04-2010, 03:25 PM
What was our Linkshell name before Overture? Aegis Knights?

Depending on the name length allowed, I think it should be "The (Old LS name) Overture".

Del Murder
07-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I only like Fat Chocobos and Onion Knights of these suggestions. I think we need to wait more and get more ideas before we have an official poll. Still plenty of time before release.

Ouch!
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I can say from my experiences joining linkshells organized before the actual release of the game that the success rate of these linkshells tends to be lower than you'd think. People go in with a lot of unrealistic expectations of how the group will function and the linkshells end up losing large portions of their member base or falling apart altogether.

Given that we don't know much at all yet about this "company" system which Square Enix is introducing for Final Fantasy XIV, I'd say we're jumping the gun here. I would suggest waiting at least until some more information starts to leak out from the beta (if the beta even introduces these elements) before we start organizing and choosing a name and everything else.

Freya
07-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Not to rain on you XIers but Overture sounds lame too.

Lionx
07-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Screw you, Overture was one of the best LSs ever!

Freya
07-04-2010, 07:37 PM
But the name seems kinda... I dunno boring.

KentaRawr!
07-04-2010, 09:07 PM
It's only boring if you've never played bard.

oddler
07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Personally, binomial entries sound better. :)

Ouch!
07-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Not to rain on you XIers but Overture sounds lame too.
Overture is too cool for you anyway. :D

Aydin
07-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I kind of want the linkshell name to be after our forum so I chose "Eyeson" but I would like "EyesOnFF" if that's possible.

Sure, it may be boring but it represents us! :D

KentaRawr!
07-05-2010, 01:34 AM
A lot of us who played FFXI also played in Linkshells that weren't exclusively EyesonFF, though. I want a Linkshell name that represents us, too. That's why I said it should have Overture in the name. :redface:

Ouch!
07-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Overture was never really made to be an EoFF linkshell though. It was a spiritual successor to linkshells like RedLotus which, granted, included a number of people who met on EoFF, but ultimately was founded around a majority of players who had nothing to do with EoFF. As much as I love the name Overture, it's not exactly appropriate for an EoFF linkshell name. I'd suggest one of the more FF-inspired names.

Carl the Llama
07-05-2010, 03:09 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I think Onion Knights would be the best name.

Del Murder
07-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Overture was never really made to be an EoFF linkshell though. It was a spiritual successor to linkshells like RedLotus which, granted, included a number of people who met on EoFF, but ultimately was founded around a majority of players who had nothing to do with EoFF. As much as I love the name Overture, it's not exactly appropriate for an EoFF linkshell name. I'd suggest one of the more FF-inspired names.
I feel the same way. We should make something new that represents new game, new players, new beginning. I would actually feel uncomfortable taking a leadership role in something called Overture because I was never a part of its history.

Madonna
07-05-2010, 04:28 AM
My issue with Onion Knights and Fat Chocobos are they both would be a pain to get, being such well-known terms in Final Fantasy!

I dislike Mognet Central because then I start thinking the LS/Company is a courier service!

Overture sounds nice; something not blatantly EoFF-drenched would be fantastic! It is one thing to play with EoFFers and it is another to be a walking billboard!

KentaRawr!
07-05-2010, 04:52 AM
I'd always hoped that some people from Overture, if they come and play FFXIV, might end up playing with us again. But I guess if it's entirely an EoFF thing, we may as well go with an EoFF-themed name.

Levian
07-05-2010, 06:25 AM
A fresh name for a fresh start indeed.

Fat Chocobos and Eyesonff sounds the best to me atm.

Del Murder
07-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I'd always hoped that some people from Overture, if they come and play FFXIV, might end up playing with us again. But I guess if it's entirely an EoFF thing, we may as well go with an EoFF-themed name.
That's another thing too. I don't want this to be an EoFF-exclusive group. If we meet cool people in game or there are friends from FFXI who don't want to join EoFF then they should still be welcome.

I understand the idea of naming it Overture in hopes of bringing back some of the old gang, but wouldn't they still come if it was a different name? It's still going to have the same people they played with before, just a bunch more others (which is a good thing).

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Obvious answer is don't know, but I hope they will. Particularly the likes of Shawtiie, Windowpane and that other dude... the amusing one who kept giving me his old stuff for free and took us up the tower with Shawtiie. For some reason I can't recall his name, but then I couldn't recall Kentarou's name either until he reminded me the other day. Seriously, so many good times with that group it's insane.

But yeah, definitely make it an open enough group. I still like the idea of a shorter name as opposed to a longer one overall. Eizon is good for EoFF link but without it being obvious and it still sounds neat. I can understand why people wouldn't be keen on Overture coming from other servers, but at the same time it's still a good name that shouldn't be discounted for that reason. We all know it will be a different group. I'd actually say that in the space of 2-3 months I played FFXI, the regular chatters in Overture changed dramatically, so yeah. It was definitely a social group, btw, although we still did a buttload together. Almost everything I did, I did with two or more members from there.

The downside of naming a group when we already have a large number of people interested though is that someone will certainly be disappointed.

KentaRawr!
07-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Maybe it's Weiner you're thinking of?

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Yes! That guy is proper hilarity.

KentaRawr!
07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Maybe we should name it "Eyeson Overture". >_>

Mirage
07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I think Onion Knights sounds a bit uh, "common". There's so many references to stuff like that in games that it doesn't feel like anything special. At least not to me.

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
To me it's a little boring, but then some people probably think that any "created" word like Eizon is a bit boring too, so it's just a matter of opinion.

I don't think Onion Knights would make us very original though. There are already other Onion Knights linkshells out there in FFXI and probably some of them planning to move to FFXIV. That's the same feeling I have for Fat Chocobos, although I like Fat Chocobos a lot more than I like Onion Knights, because Fat Chocobos at least has a mild EoFF reference because at EoFF it tends to refer to the restaurant made famous by the EoFF gang wars. And chocobos are way better than onion knights.

Of course if I put my weight behind anything to any major extent beyond what I'm already doing then people will vote against it. Poor Hobo. :(

Jiro
07-05-2010, 04:56 PM
If you take Overture and throw something EoFF related (but not too obvious), then I think everyone will be at least content and you still allow for players unaffiliated with EoFF to join in without feeling like they're stepping on others' territory.

Ouch!
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I would suggest not using Overture at all as it has nothing to do with EoFF.

oddler
07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I was actually curious when Overture was first mentioned for FFXIV how it was related so I searched it. Main entries were songs from FFVI.

Ouch!
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I was actually curious when Overture was first mentioned for FFXIV how it was related so I searched it. Main entries were songs from FFVI.
It was a linkshell on Midgardsormr in FFXI that had a number of EoFFers in it at a point. Overture itself is just a musical term.

oddler
07-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh, I know, I was just curious if Overture also had a Final Fantasy-related meaning that I didn't know about. :)

Freya
07-05-2010, 05:41 PM
"Mind yo Manas"
"Racing Cactuars"
"Swimmin With Gils" (depending if that's their money)
"Your Momma's a Hyur"
"2 Dollar Hyur" tehee

Hrm thats all I can think of right now that's punny.

Del Murder
07-05-2010, 05:50 PM
If you take Overture and throw something EoFF related (but not too obvious), then I think everyone will be at least content and you still allow for players unaffiliated with EoFF to join in without feeling like they're stepping on others' territory.
Nah, that would actually be the worst idea.

Ouch!
07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I maintain that the best solution is to not use Overture or Eizon or anything like that and just create something new. Fresh start and all that.

Del Murder
07-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I completely agree. Let's be a little more creative.

Freya
07-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey :mad2: It took me a bit to come up with those puns! It's creative! xP

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 09:58 PM
What, do you guys mean to pick a completely new name that intentionally has no relation to EoFF? Like... Danger Geese?

Ouch!
07-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't mean to avoid it at all costs, but is asking for a little originality too much? Eizon or Eyeson are, quite frankly, boring. Onion Knights and Fat Chocobos, while amusing references, will do little to set the group apart from the schlock of other Final Fantasy themed names.

There's more that links this community than merely Final Fantasy, after all.

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Like Danger Geese!

KentaRawr!
07-05-2010, 10:40 PM
How about Увертюра?

Ouch!
07-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Hell, my vote goes to Danger Geese. MAKE IT SO.

KentaRawr!
07-06-2010, 02:06 AM
If we mean Geese like the Fatal Fury character I'm in.

What about OMGmygame? :p

Carl the Llama
07-06-2010, 03:28 AM
How about Увертюра?

A Russian Overture?

Miriel
07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
"Racing Cactuars"

I like this one!

I don't want to go with Overture for the reasons other people have already stated.

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Star Onion Brigade :D

Carl the Llama
07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Star Onion Brigade :D

I support this idea ^^

Loony BoB
07-06-2010, 08:10 PM
We should probably avoid well known FF themed groups. Onion Knights and Star Onion Brigade are already listed as linkshell names in FFXIVCore, and that's me just checking a single website. :p

We may have to be careful about character limits (as in the length of the name). Anyone know what FFXI's was?

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 08:17 PM
We should call ourselves EyesonFFXIVCore and just confuse the smurf out of everyone.

Ouch!
07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
FFXI's limits are likely irrelevant. FFXI didn't allow spaces in the names; I doubt FFXIV will continue this trend.

Loony BoB
07-06-2010, 08:30 PM
They better not. But yeah, I was just wondering in case it was long anyway in which case we wouldn't need to worry at all about length. I imagine there will be some kind of limit though, just not lower than the FFXI one. Hopefully our name won't be that long though because long names are long. :(

Freya
07-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Yah know if we had (Racing cactuars was my favorite anyway.) and then sponsored like level 1 runs it'd make us popular on the server. Which would make them curious about our LS site and tada :D Just saying

Rostum
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
We should probably avoid well known FF themed groups. Onion Knights and Star Onion Brigade are already listed as linkshell names in FFXIVCore, and that's me just checking a single website. :p

Who cares. FFXIVCore is lead by a guy who tried selling beta passes, and sponsored by a company that ruins MMO communities.

Yah know if we had (Racing cactuars was my favorite anyway.) and then sponsored like level 1 runs it'd make us popular on the server. Which would make them curious about our LS site and tada :D Just saying

Be less boring. :(

Del Murder
07-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Raging Cactuars

Freya
07-07-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't see you coming up with anything clever Omecle :colbert:

Miriel
07-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Oooh, I like Raging Cactaurs too. :) RAGE!!

I didn't even notice Cid's Knight was on the poll too. That would be... interesting.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2010, 01:22 AM
If we're going to go with something that's a fresh start entirely, let's at least avoid making it an FF thing. :p That would be goofy, and someone else will probably have thought of it.

This is my first really serious suggestion. How about Eizon Eorzea? :p

Miriel
07-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Why would we want to avoid having it be a FF thing? :o

I don't mind Eizon, but I haaaaaate the name Eorzea. It's just ugh. I really liked Vana'diel as the world name for FFXI. Eorzea just makes me shake my head. But that's something for a different topic I guess. Square and their love of unpronounceable names. :colbert:

Rostum
07-07-2010, 04:28 AM
I don't see you coming up with anything clever Omecle :colbert:

Notice how you don't see me suggesting anything boring and lame, either? :D

Eorzea is incredibly easy to pronounce, what are you on about?

oddler
07-07-2010, 04:38 AM
I think it's easy to pronounce but it's not very appealing to hear. Vana'diel just rolled right out and sounded elegant. Eorzea sounds like a scientific plural of a bacterial disease.

Del Murder
07-07-2010, 05:50 AM
I don't think she means it's hard to pronounce once someone tells you, but that when you look at it it's not easy to figure out how it's pronounced. I mean if I say xkfhsdlkhdfcd is pronounced 'cat', well that's easy to pronounce but how the smurf do you get cat from all that?

Miriel
07-07-2010, 06:01 AM
How is it pronounced? :o I seriously don't know. Or-zee? Eh-or-zee-ah? Ee-or-zah?

Del Murder
07-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Omecle should post a recording of him saying it. :)

Rostum
07-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Eh-or-zay-ah.

I mean if I say xkfhsdlkhdfcd is pronounced 'cat', well that's easy to pronounce but how the smurf do you get cat from all that?

That is the worst analogy ever, and is invalid.

Miriel
07-07-2010, 06:46 AM
You're saying that Eh-or-zay-ah is easy to pronounce? It doesn't even sound like I'm saying an actual word, more like I had stroke and random sounds are coming out of my mouth.

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I kind of just assumed the name was said E-or-zay-ah. I don't know if I've heard someone pronounce it. But I can see how it could be difficult to know how to pronounce it after reading it because I can see how it could be pronounced in a few different ways. I agree that Eizon is way, way better than Eorzea and we shouldn't need to tack on anything to Eizon, really, as it's good on it's own.

While I don't mind Raging Cactuars, I do actually agree that making it FF related isn't amazingly creative and that it might make us just be "yet another". I'm pretty keen on us having a unique name amongst linkshells if that's possible - but it's not the end of the world and I wouldn't be that bothered. Just a preference. At least we're getting a good set of names together. =]

Miriel
07-07-2010, 08:22 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'd definitely be ok with Eizon. I still think Fat Chocobos is super cute and I don't think it would be THAT common of a linkshell name. I think such a cute name would attract a certain type of player. Rather than something like DARK RAPTURE, you know? Fat Chocobo is just so friendly sounding, I think it would attract friendly people.

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
To be fair, when we had Overture nobody cared what our linkshell name was, they just partied with us or noticed us messing about in a town and, since we talk so much, they would ask to join later on or something. Well, that's how it was for me, anyway. So even if we were called DARK RAPTURE we should still get fun people. Although it would be admittedly misleading. xD

My favourite is probably actually Danger Geese, even though I made it up as a stupid name, it's actually stuck with me. Eizon is cool and I really like that it's short and simple. I don't mind Fat Chocobos that much, but I just love having a unique name so much because it makes me feel like we're that much more different from the rest.

I've grown off Eyeson and can understand the good reasoning behind not sticking with Overture, although I still think it's a nice name.

Miriel
07-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh yeah, it's not like a lame name would be completely lacking in friendly people. That's not what I was saying. But from my own personal experience, if I was checking out people or in a party and noticed that they had a LS with a cute or funny name, it would definitely perk my interests. And I might ask about it or sometimes I might deliberately ask for a pearl.

Overture is an incredibly boring name imho. Same with our Pandemonium LS name, the Shadows. Great bunch of people, but still, boring name. In the end, I think no matter what we go with, it'll all be good. But it would be really nice to have a name everyone (or at least the majority) was excited about it.

Rostum
07-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Anyone who joins a guild just for the name can go to hell.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Is that a guild or something 'cause man it sounds AWESOME

I guess Danger Geese would be okay. :p It is somewhat catchy.

Ouch!
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Overture is an incredibly boring name imho. Same with our Pandemonium LS name, the Shadows.
I like how you seem to regard these linkshells as ours (by which I assume you mean EoFF) when, in both cases, the majority of the people populating both shells had nothing to do with EoFF (or at least not for years).

While you may find a name like Overture boring, I tend to find it to be a lot classier than a number of the types of names that spring up. If you want to flock like sheep to a group whose name is just another variation of some Final Fantasy reference, be my guest. I'd prefer something a little more unique.

Mirage
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Ouch speaks the truth. Overture sounds a lot more like an LS i'd want to be in than some cheesy FF reference, or "generic heroic-sounding LS".

Doesn't get much better than my shell though :p.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/turtlepower.png

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
EYES ON EIZON CID'S RAGING DARK STAR DANGER CHOCOBO KNIGHT BRIGADE RAPTURE (CACTUARS FAT ONION GEESE OVERTURE).mp3

*play*

Miriel
07-07-2010, 06:56 PM

And who says anyone does that? You sound like a very angry person.

Overture is an incredibly boring name imho. Same with our Pandemonium LS name, the Shadows.
I like how you seem to regard these linkshells as ours (by which I assume you mean EoFF) when, in both cases, the majority of the people populating both shells had nothing to do with EoFF (or at least not for years).

Oh, I meant "our" as in specifically Del Murder and Me. The Shadows was "our" linkshell. Along with a few other EoFFers, but mostly us. Maybe I should have been clearer, but I don't think I gave that much of an implication that these were EoFF shells.

Doesn't get much better than my shell though :p.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/turtlepower.png
That is seriously a great LS name. :up:

Mirage
07-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Too bad it won't work as well in FF14, because they're no longer called linkshells.

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
What are they called now?

Ouch!
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Companies. We don't know very much about that except that Square Enix has talked about some sort of company-owned land (houses?) and that each company will receive a retainer (presumed to function as a bank for the company and possibly as an NPC that can sell items for the group).

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Companies, from what I've read, appear to be more similar to alliances than linkshells.

Q. Do you intend to have things like guilds and guild banks for people to share?
A. For FFXI there was Linkshells and for FFXIV we will have Linkshells as well along with something like a higher level Linkshell system called a Company. In this Company, things you do will affect things you own in the game. Also, larger Companies will be able to have something like a community website that is more personalised that will display stats. There will be more information about this Company later on in development.

From some random interview.

Mirage
07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
So there will be both companies and linkshells? In that case, I'll kill you all if you steal our LS name!

Loony BoB
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I think it's only fair you guys get it :p

Del Murder
07-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I agree that it is the people and not the name that makes the LS good, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't care about the name.

I think Onion Knights is a cooler name but it is a little too obvious. There will probably be an Onion Knights on every server. I like Fat Chocobos because of the EoFF reference and it will probably be a lesser used name. Overture is off the table because I think Ouch! and Angry Ome want the option to use it for something else. Eyeson is just dumb. Eizon is actually ok, but it was already the name of that RP world we used to have and it feels weird to reuse it. There's got to be something more unique we can use.

Rostum
07-08-2010, 03:00 AM
For the most part I'm in total agreeance with Mirage, Del and Ouch. I personally have a fondness for Overture for reasons that would not really suit this forum, and I'm not just saying that because Ouch or myself might want to use it in the future.

Anyways, I still like Fat Chocobos. :p

Octavious
07-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I like Eizon & Onion Knights. But the Onion Knights will not be a unique name, at all. :)