PDA

View Full Version : Which game are you best & worst at playing?

Rocket Edge
07-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Which game do you think are best at playing at? Which genre do you think is your weakness? I mean this in the sense of that you have a genuine talent to play the game that sets you above the average player. Elaborate with statistics, photo's, etc. if you like.

The good for me personally, is probably Tekken. My online rank is Vanquisher with Yoshimitsu which is very high rank, and I've beaten many of the worlds top players in the game. Call of Duty: World at War & Modern Warfare 2 could be considered a not too distant second. My kill/death ratio in the game is well over 2 in the latter, even though World at War is my preferred game of the two.

On the flipside, car games. Could never really get the hold of them. I played a member here online in Wipeout HD and I was getting absolutely destroyed. But regardless I'm talking about the genre in general. Mind you I was addicted to Need for Speed: Underground when I was younger and beat the campaign in that which is no easy feat.

Pheesh
07-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Guitar hero. That's pretty much the only thing I'm well over the average in. Aside from that, I'm slightly better than an average player at tekken, NBA2K and madden. Aside from those, I'm average in most things. If I'm bad at a game I'll usually get to a point where I can play it reasonably well, especially if I've taken the time to rent/buy it.

Iceglow
07-05-2010, 12:34 AM
See I'm a little strange, I'm good at strategy games in single player mode but put me online and because I don't like to rush (I like to build a strong hold point for a base before actually taking ground on a tactical basis reinforcing and moving my line outwards with each area captured. That is unless ofcourse the game is Dawn of War 1 and my army is made of space marines then it's about momentum and just pushing forwards before the enemy forces can re-organise and reproduce their toughest units) I end up getting wiped out early on.

I would say I'm above average on FPS games but I wouldn't say I'm exceptional at them same goes with games like Red Dead Redemption, I have my strong points (riding/driving) but I have weak points too (I am all but useless without using auto lock-on with thrown weapons such as the throwing knife)

I would probably say my strongest online games are racing games because I'm good at driving games in general, too much time spent learning how to whoop my older brother at Gran Turismo 3 I guess.

My worst games online would have to be Guitar Hero because I simply suck at the game in general (I can't progress from medium difficulty on world tour and I can't get past easy on 3)

Aerith's Knight
07-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Covy Slayer.

No, but seriously, I do pretty well in most strategy games, same with chess, I beat computers without too much difficulty.

I'm okay at FPS. I'm never bad at them, I've played enough for that, but I'm never that extremely good at them. Adventures I think might be a little better up my alley.

My worst games would have to be the serious type racers. I'm not patient enough to play the same lap 30 times, and hope you don't screw up somewhere. I get annoyed if I have to replay 1 min. of an FPS, let alone 60 min of driving.

Iceglow
07-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Covy Slayer.

It's true you're a beast at Covy Slayer for some reason. On terms of actual Halo game types I am probably best at Swat because for some ridiculous reason I can manage a Swat game dying just once when in a normal game of Halo Reach I'd die atleast 4 times.

Christmas
07-05-2010, 12:50 AM
I am bad at a lot of games. :(

Usually I will get an editor or some downloadable contents off the net if I sux at the game. I am a dirty little cheater. :(

Madame Adequate
07-05-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm fairly good at almost all games, but I have real talent for RTS stuff. It doesn't really translate into TBS, where I'm actually a bit crap, idk why but whilst I enjoy them a lot I can never seem to get things actually figured out right, I never play at the level I would in other games. But RTS? God help any and all who oppose me, I am beastly.

But I play very few games enough to really, really excel. I got pretty amazing at Halo 3 early on but I stopped playing and I'm not so hot at it any more - definitely not the equal of Paul which I once was (Probably, we never played together back then xD). I just have too many games which I play to really get great at any of then. I can usually hold my own though.

Games I have been superior at are Red Alert 2, where I was pretty much unstoppable and demonic, I could take on pretty much anything and beat it, and Soul Caliber 2, where I wasn't the 40 victories per defeat horrendous brilliance that I was at RA2, but I was certainly capable and I had a pretty nice W/L spread.

:bou::bou::bou::bou: at racers that aren't Rollcage or Wipeout 2097 though. Simply dire.

VeloZer0
07-05-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm generally terrible at games. I have really bad co-ordination and dexterity, which translates into poor gameplay. Fighting games are automatically out.

FPS games are all a blow for me, which isn't a huge loss as I don't particularly enjoy them. The only aspect I like (and am good at) is the tactical one, I usually get the drop on people by playing smart and out thinking them. Now if only I was good enough to finish them off before they turned around and killed me :cry:

I can't keep up in RTS games, the actions per minute and micro parts (aka the parts that differentiate between decent and good players) just bury me.

Additionally I don't seem to be able to properly conceptualize moving a character in 3D space with a 2D controller input. I can't play just about any modern game and have it feel natural, I'm always running around in circles and getting stuck in corners.

Which leaves RPGs and Sidescrollers. I'm not great at sidescrollers, but I will play any game I like until I get good at it. But that is practice on the specific game, not actual talent.

Which leaves RPGs, the games I am best at. (jRPGs specifically, I can't stand wRPGs). Obviously being 'good' at a jRPG usually has little to do with what you do in actual combat but in analyzing the game and figuring out which characters/skills/gear will yield the best results. Which is one of the few game skills I am good at.

Vermachtnis
07-05-2010, 01:07 AM
I pretty good at fighting games. I like using joke characters and not just the lethal kinds all joke characters. They're the most fun.

I suck at RTS and Stealth games and for the same reason. I can't take it slow. Shotguns and rocket launchers should be perfectly suitable for infiltration.

black orb
07-05-2010, 03:13 AM
>>> Im the worst at Racing Games, even a 2 year old can beat me..:luca:

Slothy
07-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Name the genre and I've probably been great at some game in it at some point or another. Some highlights would include: just about any Valve game (the one major exception being CS: Source. I'm usually decent but I've never been great at it), COD4 which I stopped playing because I got to be too good at it (on the PC no less, tough to find enough competition to stay interested), Turok 2 which I was so good at my friends stopped playing with me, Gran Turismo 3, and Soul Calibur 2 which I was pretty much unstoppable at as Mitsurugi. It's one of the few fighting games where I played it so much that I started to be able to read opponents moves consistently just from the start of the animation and react appropriately.

As far as what I'm bad at, I'd say Sports games, largely due to my own lack of interest. I'm not great at Civilization either, but that has more to do with having no interest in sitting down to learn the ins and outs of the games. I enjoy them and all, but they are far too complicated to be worth my time, even as a study of game design since I have no desire to ever design a game that complex.

Evastio
07-05-2010, 04:28 AM
Best (and Favourite): Side scrolling platformers, RPGs (grew up on both of them)

Worst (and Unfavourite): FPS (I'm not very good with the controls), Sports (I'm not good at real life sports either)

Shiny
07-05-2010, 05:07 AM
I was over a friends house yesterday and she was showing me how to play Rock Band or Guitar Hero; whatever it was. I didn't even attempt because I would probably suck at it. Those little music things you had to do for music class in Bully were hard enough for me as it is. One of them took me over five tries.

Best, I'm not sure, but it's possibly fighting games. I managed to beat people with friggin' slow Bowser who couldn't jump in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Oh wait, stealth games too.

Bunny
07-05-2010, 05:53 AM
I'm really bad at fighting games. I usually resort to button mashing because all of the weirdo combinations confuse me and make me flustered.

I'm fairly decent at RPG games, which are difficult to be bad at, and FPS games, so long as I use some sort of long-ranged weapon (i.e. sniper rifle). When I get into close combat situations, the cause is typically lost.

Rase
07-05-2010, 05:56 AM
I guess I'd say I'm best at RTS games (specifically AoEIII) and FPS's. I'm pretty sucky at racing sims and most sports games.

Clo
07-05-2010, 06:06 AM
I used to be sort of lousy at FPS, but I haven't really tried lately, and it's been years.

I'm good at racing games, and I think I'm damn savvy at RPGs. But what makes you good at an RPG? Good with stats, gameplay, battles and BEATING it? Anyway, I claim to be good.

LunarWeaver
07-05-2010, 06:09 AM
I couldn't win a match in a fighting game to save my cock. I suppose my best is survival-horror type games. By the end I always have more supplies than I know what to do with and regret not being more carefree along the way.

Vermachtnis
07-05-2010, 06:18 AM
I should probably add realistic car games and sports games to list of games I play horribly at, but I don't play them enough to care that I'm bad. I'll take Mario Kart over Gran Turismo and Hot Shots Golf over Tiger Woods PGA Tour every time.

Levian
07-05-2010, 06:46 AM
I'm great at hoarding items. At the end of the game I'm always loaded with an endless flow of health packs and unused heavy guns, all of which I blast the final boss with. I'm not a stranger to loading up a savefile if I think I can do it better and I'll always use the weakest gun I can get away with using. Also, puzzles and timing difficult jumps.

As a result of my lack of interest in FPS games, I tend to suck at them too when a friend jumps at me with a "duuuude, you have to try this game it's not like that other game I tricked you into playing, seriously!"

Goldeneye is an exception, but only because of the auto-aim and because I know where every enemy is placed on most levels.

Dreddz
07-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm good at anything I put in enough time into. For example, I have put in over 200 hours into Wipeout HD since it was released so I'd class myself as somewhat of a god with that game now.

On the other hand I was playing a member here at some Tekken 6 recently and was getting absolutely destroyed. Which is quite sad considering I used to be quite decent at Tekken when 3 was released.

Pete for President
07-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Best:
Flight games, HAWX in particular
Guitar Hero

Worst:
Race and sports games. I don't own any of these myself which causes massive defeats everytime I play it with some friends.

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm not that great at anything, but so long as I'm entertained, I'm happy. I enjoy making fun of my lack of skill in various ways, such as "playing the decoy" in FPS team games. "Hey guys, watch me, I'll go out and run around a lot and you guys can shoot them while they try to shoot me!"

Jiro
07-05-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty average at most things. I have probably only excelled at the original Tekken and Halo 2/3 in my time.

Racing games, both novelty and realistic were never my thing, and most fighting games have combos that I can never remember. But I still enjoy giving everything a go.

EDIT: I'm BoB, but sometimes I get lucky as the decoy :D?

Loony BoB
07-05-2010, 03:15 PM
To be fair, I've on occasion been pretty lucky/good enough to top the rankings in various different games, be they RTS, TBS, FPS, racing, kart and even (shockingly) on occasion I'll mash the buttons in exactly the right way in a fighter game and beat some far better players. Those are obviously great times. The amount of times I heard/read someone say "wtf dude that was amazing" when I did something crazy and somehow pulled it off to make it look incredible... well, if you play crazy style then eventually you'll look crazy good at least once, I suppose. :p

Rase
07-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I enjoy making fun of my lack of skill in various ways, such as "playing the decoy" in FPS team games. "Hey guys, watch me, I'll go out and run around a lot and you guys can shoot them while they try to shoot me!"
This is incredibly satisfying to do. I used to do that a lot in the original Call of Duty when playing Retrieval: If I didn't have the radio and it was just two if us, I would gladly run out there and lay down my life so my teammate could get back to the base and win for us.

Rocket Edge
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I enjoy making fun of my lack of skill in various ways, such as "playing the decoy" in FPS team games. "Hey guys, watch me, I'll go out and run around a lot and you guys can shoot them while they try to shoot me!"
Haha, this gave me a good laugh. I see you type of guys the odd time using this strategy, & it can prove so useful in tough matches. I just wish more & more people would have this attitude in FPS because almost everyone plays for themselves rather than helping the team. In MW2, my first killstreak is UAV for my team, while many would skip it for the nuke which is extremely uncommon to get and kills even your own team-mates for example.

And Dreddz, you are a freak at Wipeout HD.

Laddy
07-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm great at old-school RPG's, rythm games, and fighting games.

I suck at racing and shooter games. And I hate them too.

Jings
07-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't know if I would actually be considered good at any games to be honest. I mostly play for the story/characters rather than the gameplay itself, and so once I've completed the story I don't get anywhere near as much enjoyment out of games.

Having said that I was pretty heavily into Counterstrike back in its glory days and I suppose I wouldn't be stretching the truth too much to say I was good at that game, probably had a kill to death ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 most days. Was also in a pretty good clan, we won more games than we lost anyway. Haven't played in about 4 years now though so I'm sure I've lost any skill I had. Same with DoD and TFC, those three Half Life mods were central to my teenage online gaming days. Good times.

I'm also fairly decent at TBS games, which I prefer massively over RTS games because I can't handle the stress of having to do things quickly with little time to think. In turn based I can take things as slow as I want and carefully plan my moves.

Mo-Nercy
07-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I was pretty good at Soul Calibur 2, but I haven't put in the same committment to 3 and 4, though I still like to think I can handle myself well enough with them too. Also, SC2 was just much easier. All the characters had relatively simpler inputs and mix-ups back then compared to now (Ivy is much harder to master, ditto Raphael and Talim). You could quite easily justify the idea that a lot more people were really good at SC2 than 3 and 4, so it's not really a big achievement. But I loved the game. I've had interest in other fighters, but the only other one I'd consider myself better than average at is Tekken.

As a bit of an arcade junkie back in those high school years, I was also decent at DDR, Pump It Up! and Drum Mania. Not spectucularly good, but good enough to get crowds standing around watching me (keep in mind that this was when these games were new and still somewhat cool xD). I also played a lot of Initial D ver. 3, but still about 8-10 seconds off the world record times posted online on every track. I could beat the average player quite easily though.

I'm awful at FPS, RTS, simulation racing and action hack-and-slash, which is a shame because I quite like some of the games each of those genre offers.

Proxy
07-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Well...I think I'm pretty damn good at RO. But my item hunting in that game sucks...so it's a & b.
Halo3 I'm hit & miss. Sometimes I wreck kids, and others I get stomped on. Swahh...
Mostly RPGs I kick ass at, and Action/Adventure, like Assassins Creed

xXsarahXx
07-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Hmm my good and bad...

Ok Good: I like to think im ok at Street Fighter, i mean im not brilliant but I can hold my own. I love any fighting games, yet to try the newst tekken though :S also getting much better at FPS play a lot of L4D and L4D2 with friends so, not long got my first gaming rig so am on it a lot now, cant bear FPS on consoles now!

Bad: Any sport or racing games, hate them all bleugh!!

Chris
07-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm a master at most platform games, but such a failure when it comes to FPS games. :(

Bolivar
07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Games I have been superior at are Red Alert 2, where I was pretty much unstoppable and demonic, I could take on pretty much anything and beat it,

Ok, I think EoFF needs to do this in the near future.

As far as competitive games go, I'm alright with FPS. I can get top scorer in Killzone 2 a good amount of the time, and I've gotten tons of Ace pins in Bad Company 2. Modern Warfare 2 I'm probably below average, I think Rocket Edge had to stop playing with me because I was losing it for our team every game.

Racing I don't really play online a lot but I know that has to change once Gran Turismo 5 drops so i can school all you cowards :P

RTS, I wouldn't want to rank myself but I love getting caught up in the competitive meta games that flow in the scene. Loved mastering the Soviet Rush in Red Alert 2, and nearly everything in Command & Conquer Generals because the strategy possibilities were so insane in that game.