PDA

View Full Version : Donkey Kong Country Returns or Kirby's Epic Yarn?

Evastio
07-05-2010, 04:50 AM
So which of the two do you think you'll be getting, if you could only get one of them?

It's a pretty tough decision for me. I mean, they're both game series that haven't had a new game in a while, they both have two player co-op, and they're both side scrolling platformers (probably my favourite gaming genre).

Vermachtnis
07-05-2010, 04:57 AM
Kirby, love that pink ball of puff more than the monkeys. Love the monkeys too, but Kirby is awesome.

VeloZer0
07-05-2010, 04:57 AM
I've never actually played a Kirby game and DKC was one of my beloved childhood classics, so it isn't really a tough choice for me. However, as I am philosophically opposed to the Wii its doubtful I will ever play either.

Madame Adequate
07-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Christ, no contest. Hated Kirby or genius DK? No contest at all.

Levian
07-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm glad I don't have to pick, I'm planning on getting both eventually.

Slothy
07-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I won't be getting either but if I were to choose I'd go with Kirby. Looks more interesting and unique to me.

That and I hated the Donkey Kong Country games. Everyone of those games felt slow and unresponsive to me and I have no desire to play something similar again.

Rostum
07-05-2010, 12:33 PM
WHY DO YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE?!

Both look epic! Kirby looks really well and uniquely presented, and I've always loved Donkey Kong Country games and it looks very nice.

Chris
07-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Not that knowledgeable about either one of these two games, but I've always liked Kirby. Not not enough to invest money it in, though.

Momiji
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm a huge Kirby fan, so I'll be getting Epic Yarn.

I don't care that much about Donkey Kong Country (I'd rather play the arcade games more honestly).

vinnie's mini's
07-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Donkey Kong Country for me! :omghey: I grew up with the original DKC games on the SNES and I still love them today - I've bought them recently for my gameboy advanced so I can play them on the go.

I wouldn't mind getting the Kirby one, but since I've never played anything in that series it's not on the top of my list to purchase.

Depression Moon
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Probably Kirby's Epic Yarn. The only Kirby game I've played was Superstar vs 3 DKCs, DK64, and a demo of jungle beat along with the original Donkey Kong.

Yeah I need more experience with Kirby so Yarn it is.

Dreddz
07-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I'd pick Kirby Epic Yarn in a heatbeat. At least they are attempting something different with that game. DKC Returns is just a nostalgia cash-in. Complete rehash.

ljkkjlcm9
07-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I will be getting both.

They both have their drawbacks and advantages.
If I had to choose one, probably DKC.
Kirby games are always ridiculously easy IMO.
Also I have more friends familiar with DKC so they'd have more fun playing that.

DKC is a "complete rehash"... but by Retro Studios. It will be interesting to see what they do with it, considering what they did with Metroid.

THE JACKEL

Polnareff
07-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Hard decision; I grew up with both (Mega Man will always be my favorite platformer though). I pick Kirby. Kirby's Epic Yarn looks like something new.

black orb
07-06-2010, 04:19 AM
>>> The DKC game looks awesome, bring back memories..:luca:

Evastio
07-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Donkey Kong Country Returns:
-seems like the safer choice with the tried and true DKC gameplay
-the gameplay is more fair to the second player (seeing how Kirby games don't have the first and second player work on the same mechanics, especially when it comes to the way to summon the second player, though I'm still aware that Donkey and Diddy Kong will have different playstyles)
-will probably have the better balance of enjoyment and difficulty

Kirby's Epic Yarn:
-I like the unique textile graphics (I was also a big fan of Kirby's Dream Land 3's hand drawn graphics)
-will probably have more replay value with all the secrets that Kirby games have (I find it more preferrable than finding all the Bonus levels in DKC games)
-the new yarn mechanics look fun

I'm kind of leaning towards Donkey Kong Country Returns. Though that's partly because I thought Nintendo gave up on Donkey Kong games for good, since they sold Rare to Microsoft. Seeing the Donkey Kong series still alive is making me show more a bit more regard to it than Kirby.

JKTrix
07-08-2010, 06:51 PM
This thread is criminal without images/video, especially with people saying they don't know anything about the games and just voting.

Kirby looks *amazing*.
YouTube - Kirby's Epic Yarn E3 2010 Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP3slFnGIDw)

DKC looks like DKC.
YouTube - Donkey Kong Country Returns E3 2010 Debut Trailer [HD] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7PEOJGjtM)
(The few moments of black at the beginning is because during the presentation, the music started playing while the presenter was talking)

Kirby is definitely more in line with the way I hope games treat their graphics in the future. With every generation we are seeing smaller leaps in 'graphics quality', so going with a more stylized or artistic look will help games stand out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUFROkKk_9s) from the photorealism heaps.

Markus. D
07-10-2010, 11:50 AM
DKC, because.

Kirby's Epic Yarn gave me a somewhat not-so-great impression, a completely different sidescrolling platformer, with Kirby's face/world painted onto it. That should change in the next onslaught of wonderful gameplay videos we see from both.