PDA

View Full Version : STUPID BRAIN TURN OFF KTHX

~*~Celes~*~
07-06-2010, 07:01 AM
For over a month now, I have trouble falling asleep because my brain just won't shut the smurf up long enough for me to sleep. I end up drifting a bit but snapping right back into the waking world. Mom suggested I take Benadryl if I can't sleep but I really don't want to have to resort to taking benadryl just to get a decent night's sleep.

What do you do in such situations?

Momiji
07-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I mentally exhaust myself. Insomnia is so lovely. :mad2:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I usually end up laying in bed thinking for hours, writing down random ideas and such on post it notes.

Or I read for hours.

~*~Celes~*~
07-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Reading isn't such a bad idea, actually. I might do some of that.

Usually I stay up playing a game until i'm too exhausted to keep my eyes open, so I may go with that too, once my brother leaves the 360 for the night.

Hambone
07-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Check Facebook, read, watch Buffy, or take a walk because the night's sky is my favorite part of summer. :)

blackmage_nuke
07-06-2010, 10:07 AM
I close my eyes and pretend to dream until I trick my brain into dreaming for real.

Or I follow the advice that driving for more than 2 hours of a time can cause microsleep so I imagine im driving down a long road.

Madame Adequate
07-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I have nights like that a lot, probably the majority in fact. It doesn't usually interfere because it's so common I'm used to it, but sometimes I can't wind down even a little bit. Usually I just try and reset; sometimes all I have to do is make my bed and that does it, sometimes I have to be up for an hour doing stuff. That's my best advice though, get out of bed, do something else, and try again.

Christmas
07-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Post on EoFF or read long posts. Try to read BoB's mega long posts, you might fall asleep much easier! :bigsmile:

Otherwise you can try eating a bedtime snack or listen to some music or have some warm milk. :bigsmile:

Clo
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I do a lot of things.

Read, write, draw, but mostly I go online and hope someone else can't sleep either. Sometimes, someone is there.

Chris
07-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Enya's music have been proven to have a soothing effect on the brain, so who am I to argue against science. I listen to Enya. :redface:

BarelySeeAtAll
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Night nurse.

That's some sleep medicine stuff, in case you guys didn't realise that. ;)

Shorty
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
All you need are some OTC sleep aides. I recommend cutting one in half, though - in the morning you're super groggy and sleepy all day. But atleast they do the trick!

vinnie's mini's
07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I normally listen to music or think up little stories in my head. :lol: Sometimes it's really weird because I wake up the next morning and I'm not sure whether I had a dream about that little story or whether I did think it up the night before.

Reading or playing games also helps with me too. :squee:

Vermachtnis
07-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I normally listen to music or think up little stories in my head. :lol: Sometimes it's really weird because I wake up the next morning and I'm not sure whether I had a dream about that little story or whether I did think it up the night before.

I do that too xD

But sometimes thinking up stories backfires and I get to excited to sleep.

Peegee
07-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Talk to PG (his deadline for sleep is 1am though!)
Do exercise until you pass out
Take meds and become dependent on them
Accept that your sleep schedule is different than what is expected for a 9-5 life (like mine - my sleep schedule is naturally at 4-10am; otherwise I sleep for 7+ hours for no reason other than alarm clocks)

Rocket Edge
07-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Do you eat carbs before you go to bed? Could be that. Or maybe your body isn't used to a steady routine yet. It could be any couple of things though. I used to have this so bad when I was younger. Over the past year or so with laboring as a job, I'm usually physically exhausted by the end of the night.

Raistlin
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I always have trouble getting to sleep. The best thing is probably to read, as that tires your eyes out while not overstimulating them (which the computer screen does).

OTC sleep aids do next to nothing for me, except make me feel worse the next day. No thanks.

Casey
07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Well I take medication that's time release that sedates the Hell out of me so I can fall asleep. I have insomnia, it has been that way on and off for the last 2 years..... I recently found out myself, I'm allergic to caffeine- my body doesn't eliminate it very well and so I cut caffeine out of my diet completely for months now am able to take naps during the day sometimes. Working out helps make you tired also..... I also read somewhere not eating three hours before also helps with sleep. I agree with above, reading something- that's what I usually do also.

Shiny
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
When I have insomnia I just listen to relaxation videos or watch boring television shows.

DarkBahamut
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Easy solution: Start watching/reading Twilight, and you'll faint.

rubah
07-06-2010, 11:09 PM
read, play solitaire on my ipod, wank.

Oh, and have a full exhaustive day beforehand. That's usually the biggest part.

DarkBahamut
07-06-2010, 11:14 PM
read, play solitaire on my ipod, wank.

Oh, and have a full exhaustive day beforehand. That's usually the biggest part.
:confused:

rubah
07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
You're not one of those people that tries to have different terms for male and female masturbation are you? Fap I can almost see, since it's an onomatopoeia, but not wank, you wanker.

DarkBahamut
07-06-2010, 11:24 PM
No, it's just that solitaire and fapping doesn't quite go together well.

rubah
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Neither does solitaire and reading, but you know, I never said I did them simultaneously.

DarkBahamut
07-06-2010, 11:31 PM
True. But you'd do that when you can't fall asleep. Wouldn't that make you more awake rather tired- You know what, nevermind. I don't even wanna go deep into discussion about fappin.

~*~Celes~*~
07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Peeg: I think that's what my problem is cause my "schedule" seems to be the same as yours, 4 or 5 am until 10 am.

All of your guys' suggestions are my normal routines xD I turn on the Nobuo Uematsu/Yoko Kanno playlist (I am SO nerdy <3) and i even have my fan blowing directly on me (I HAVE to be covered up to sleep, so you can imagine how hot i get) and i get as comfortable as I can and it's like asdfaklsdjfakjdf So I end up getting up and internetting/simming/360ing whatever it takes until I'm too exhausted to stay up any longer.

I guess I'll have to spoil myself with more music ;-;

@Rocket: It's possible that it could be the eating. I'll avoid eating late tonight to see where it gets me (my diet is another concern for me lately, I totally lost my appetite but it's picking back up lately, so it seems.)

@Raist, noname: Reading while listening to my peaceful music sounds like a plan.

@Rubah: wanking used to do it for me, but now it just wakes me up even more. ._.

DarkBahamut
07-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I guess I'll have to spoil myself with more music ;-;
YouTube - FFVII Advent Children Music - Cloud Smiles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viAVzqIBMZE)
It really soothes you down,

~*~Celes~*~
07-06-2010, 11:37 PM
That song is beautiful <3 Adding it to my playlist for sure :D

DarkBahamut
07-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Your welcome. Crisis Core also has 2 really nice tracks.
The Price of Freedom: YouTube - FFVII Crisis Core Soundtrack: The Price of Freedom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJ91H4mraU)
Under the Apple Tree: YouTube - FFVII Crisis Core Soundtrack: Under the Apple Tree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6MF0IfsvQ&feature=related) (This is also the main theme that goes through out the game. Kinda like how in FFX, the hymn of the fayth goes throughout the game.

~*~Celes~*~
07-06-2010, 11:51 PM
<33 You guys are so awesomely helpful!

DarkBahamut
07-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Nobuo is a beautiful artist who can like think of a rhythm before even putting some thought into it. Truly a legend.

And I was right, wanking makes you more awake.

rubah
07-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Speak for your own physiology~

DarkBahamut
07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Hah, will do.