PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Craig is starring in the remake of GoldenEye 007

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM
YouTube - Golden Eye 007 - James Bond | OFFICIAL E3 gameplay trailer Nintendo Wii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USLk24uRuFE)

Judging by the trailer, all I can say right now is that it looks much more exciting than Quantum of Solace: The Video Game.

Meat Puppet
07-08-2010, 12:14 PM
This game is demonic because it is what stymied Goldeneye 64 being released on the XBLA.

NorthernChaosGod
07-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Exclusively on the Wii? Fuck that noise.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-08-2010, 04:36 PM
This game is demonic because it is what stymied Goldeneye 64 being released on the XBLA.

You can't blame them for that, because it probably is a pain in the ass, to make three versions of the same game for three different consoles.

They ultimately choose the Wii because it's a Nintendo console and isn't that where GoldenEye started? With the Nintendo 64 instead of the Sony Playstation? It might seem like an inconvenience to you, but the developers obviously decided to make the GoldenEye remake come full circle with a Wii exclusive.

Besides the Xbox 360 and PS3 are littered with first person shooters. Going to the Wii is the only way the new GoldenEye can stand out.

Iceglow
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
The reason for Craig being 007 in the new version is simple:

They lost the rights to use the likeness of Pierce Brosnan as Bond in Bond themed games.

Depression Moon
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
This is for a game? Lame, I thought you were talking about a movie.

Old Manus
07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
It's probably coming out on the Wii because it's going to be :bou::bou::bou::bou:, and will blend in a bit more with the rest of the Wii gaming catalogue, so nobody will notice its shoddiness. You heard it here first.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-09-2010, 12:14 AM

Why the hell would I talk about a movie in the god damn video game section!?

Meat Puppet
07-09-2010, 12:44 AM

You can't blame them for that, because it probably is a pain in the ass, to make three versions of the same game for three different consoles.

Goldeneye 64 had pretty much already been refurbished for the Xbox 360 by 4J, and essentially just needed a “Yes” from Nintendo to release. Nintendo said no. So yes, I can blame them for that, and I will.

Bolivar
07-09-2010, 05:12 AM
dWell, it does look pretty good but it'll be a miracle if it turns out above average. It's activision, they don't care about video games.

I can't believe the kids geeking out in the beginning of the video. I can still pick up and play Goldeneye 64 but even I'll admit it doesn't rank anywst shooter of all time. Most influential, biggest impact yeah, but you don't need to go far beyond counter-strike and team fortress to see it's nowhere near the top of the list. Still, now that Free Radical's (the guys at Rare who actually made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark) with Crytek I'd like to see what they come up with over there, that's actually a game I'm looking forward to.

Honestly Nintendo's just trying to score their own Call of Duty, while most of us will probably just prefer to keep playing the real thing.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Well, it does look pretty good but it'll be a miracle if it turns out above average. It's activision, they don't care about video games.

According to IGN, apparently Activision is just the publisher, the development team who actually made it, is called Eurocom.

Bolivar
07-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, it does look pretty good but it'll be a miracle if it turns out above average. It's activision, they don't care about video games.

According to IGN, apparently Activision is just the publisher, the development team who actually made it, is called Eurocom.

Well, Activision is a publisher with many subsidiary development studios, and it looks like Eurocom is one of them. Specifically, one who handles licensed games.

It's already starting to look bad!

Depression Moon
07-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Why the hell would I talk about a movie in the god damn video game section!?

I wasn't paying attention to the forum section. I just clicked on the thread.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, Activision is a publisher with many subsidiary development studios, and it looks like Eurocom is one of them. Specifically, one who handles licensed games.

I think you should wait until the game comes out and at least rent it from Hollywood Video or Blockbuster before you pass judgement on it. Because how hard is it for Activision/Eurocom not to get GoldenEye done right? I mean they got the original GoldenEye as a smurfing blueprint, all they have to is duplicate the original gameplay while updating it at the same time. How hard can that be? I mean, is Activision really so incompetent that they can't do a simple remake?

Bolivar
07-09-2010, 05:55 PM

I think you should wait until the game comes out and at least rent it from Hollywood Video or Blockbuster before you pass judgement on it. Because how hard is it for Activision/Eurocom not to get GoldenEye done right? I mean they got the original GoldenEye as a smurfing blueprint, all they have to is duplicate the original gameplay while updating it at the same time. How hard can that be? I mean, is Activision really so incompetent that they can't do a simple remake?

Well, I said I thought the trailer looks good, and I'll probably play it when it comes out but I don't have a Wii and even if I did, I would boot up my PS3 or PC if I wanted to play a good shooter.

As far as remakes go, I don't think it'll really be a simple remake. For one, I know they can't use "The Complex" level in this game because Rare/Free Radical own the IP rights to it. I'd imagine they have to supplement some stuff with other things and there it can go wrong.

Not to mention you're taking a game with outdated controls and porting it to a motion controller, of all things!

But pessimism isn't my thing, so I will reserve judgment until the damn thing comes out and I'm blowing stuff up. All I'm saying is that Activision does not care about video games.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Not to mention you're taking a game with outdated controls and porting it to a motion controller, of all things!

You don't frickening get it do you? IGN just said that you'll be able to use the Pro Classic Controller with GoldenEye, which is almost exactly like the old N64 controller.

NorthernChaosGod
07-10-2010, 03:29 AM
The N64 controller was the most godawful thing ever.

Depression Moon
07-10-2010, 03:44 AM
The Jaguar was the worst thing ever.

Bunny
07-10-2010, 04:27 AM
The reason for Craig being 007 in the new version is simple:

They lost the rights to use the likeness of Pierce Brosnan as Bond in Bond themed games.

Or because Craig is the new Bond and it makes more sense.

Hopefully those weren't the in-game graphics. They look more like the N64 version, but that isn't what the "trailer" passes them off as. Regardless, I probably won't play.

Slothy
07-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I think you should wait until the game comes out and at least rent it from Hollywood Video or Blockbuster before you pass judgement on it.

Before passing final judgment, sure. But Activision being the publisher and a company like Eurocom, who doesn't have a stellar development track record, developing it is plenty of reason to view the game with some trepidation.

Because how hard is it for Activision/Eurocom not to get GoldenEye done right? I mean they got the original GoldenEye as a smurfing blueprint, all they have to is duplicate the original gameplay while updating it at the same time. How hard can that be? I mean, is Activision really so incompetent that they can't do a simple remake?

If it were easy to make a good game then there'd be a lot less crap on the market. In fact, they really can't use the original as a blueprint because the only thing that isn't completely dated is the mission structure, and the few levels in the game that were really well designed (a lot of them weren't that great by today's standards). And designing good levels and AI isn't easy. In fact, a lot of companies get it wrong and if you have mediocre or bad levels and AI in an FPS then you might as well throw in the towel.

We'll see how it turns out, but the original game is so dated as a blueprint that it's almost useless, and in trying to update it they may just end up with an FPS that plays like every other FPS on the market. And if that happens then what's the point really?

Vivisteiner
07-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Daniel Craig is actually a big fan of videogames. Saw it in an interview once.

Old Manus
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Probably in an interview where he was promoting a video game.

Madame Adequate
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM

No, still better than the GC controller. Dear god, my hands ache with remembered torture.

NorthernChaosGod
07-11-2010, 01:35 AM

No, still better than the GC controller. Dear god, my hands ache with remembered torture.

I stand corrected, the N64 controller is second to the GC controller. Fucking Nintendo sucks at controllers.

Rad Bromance
07-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Goldeneye Remake

OH MY GOD YES ALL MY DREAMS ARE CO-

Wii Exclusive

Oh. :(

Meat Puppet
07-11-2010, 08:04 AM

I stand corrected, the N64 controller is second to the GC controller. smurfing Nintendo sucks at controllers.
Virtual Boy

Bolivar
07-12-2010, 06:23 PM

You don't frickening get it do you? IGN just said that you'll be able to use the Pro Classic Controller with GoldenEye, which is almost exactly like the old N64 controller.

Why would you respond to an accusation of outdated controls by saying you'll be able to play it just like you used to?

I think everything can be summed up by my original post, on the kids geeking out over "Goldeneye being one of the best shooters of all time"

It wasn't.

edit: overall this is a smaller part to the larger, disgusting image of Nintendo trying to recapture the "hardcore" (MAN i hate that word) by revisiting games, franchises, and gimmicks we've seen, done, got the t-shirt, and moved on to more worthwhile experiences like Ico, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, and Demon's Souls which are actually moving gaming as well as our expectations and understanding of the medium forward.

And the saddest part is that journalists, especially IGN, are falling head over heels for it while any real gaming discussion is occurring... well, right here on EoFF! I guess I can't really complain, would I have it any other way??? Lol

Slothy
07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I think everything can be summed up by my original post, on the kids geeking out over "Goldeneye being one of the best shooters of all time"

It wasn't.

Couldn't agree more myself. I will fully admit that I have great memories of playing Goldeneye in both single and multiplayer, and I still love to get it out every few months and play it, but it's far from being one of the best shooters of all time. It was certainly the best console shooter of it's day and stuff like the mission objectives were pretty new and innovative at the time. But it has aged and calling it one of the greatest shooters of all time would be a crime with how bad it plays by current standards.

And perhaps more important as far as remaking it is that everything it did well and made popular is pretty standard in shooters and other genres now. Which begs the question of what they'll try to do to push the innovation envelope, or if they'll try to make a game that isn't innovative but is instead incredibly polished and well paced. I don't think I'll count on the later, and making something that fits the former is extremely difficult. We'll have to see how it goes.

Goldenboko
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM

Original XBOX controller (http://flickeringcolours.net/v2/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/XBOX_controller.jpg). Game, set, match.

All you haters can gtfo, I look forward to this game, even if it lacks a certain Pierce.

Iceglow
07-14-2010, 12:32 AM
I think the n64 controller does pip the original xbox control pad to the post actually, the 3 prongs with the z button on the middle one and the d-pad off center was a real pain in the ass.

However I would love to point out how much the xbox original small controller rocked compared to some of the pads out there today including the sony dual shock 3 siiraxis controller.

NorthernChaosGod
07-14-2010, 01:58 AM

Original XBOX controller (http://flickeringcolours.net/v2/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/XBOX_controller.jpg). Game, set, match.

All you haters can gtfo, I look forward to this game, even if it lacks a certain Pierce.

The only thing wrong with the Xbox controller was that it was quite large. The N64 controller was just a mess all over the place.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Amazon.com: Wii Classic Controller Pro: Nintendo Wii (http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-Controller-Pro-XXX/dp/images/B003BLUA64/ref=dp_image_text_z_1_0?1ie=UTF8&s=video)

I'll let this picture speak for itself.

Psychotic
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
N64 GoldenEye ruled, would literally murder people - forum members of EoFF preferred - to get a remake with identical gameplay and sick graphics/updated sounds and musical score.

Agent Proto
07-24-2010, 06:12 AM

The only thing wrong with the Xbox controller was that it was quite large. The N64 controller was just a mess all over the place.

The N64 controller's fine to me. Though I've seen a lot of people who don't hold it correctly when using the control stick.

Slothy
07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
The only thing wrong with the Xbox controller was that it was quite large.

Not to derail the thread any more, but it also had the worst D-pad ever made, and buttons so hard they could make your fingers bleed (literally). The placement of those black and white buttons were pretty awkward too as I recall.