PDA

View Full Version : From Lynx To XIII With Love

Madonna
07-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Hello again (or in some cases for the first time) gentle member,

I am still doing my part to help out EoFF’s frontsite by collecting information for the Members’ Name Meanings ( http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/namemeanings) page. (I don't enjoy bothering you folks so this is my last attempt at gathering data!)

All I need from you is to take a few minutes out of your day to reply to this PM with the details of your username’s meaning to you. Also, I’d greatly appreciate from any who do respond to refrain from using the sentence “Isn’t it obvious?” It really isn’t. :(

Also, if you've had a name change in the time you've been a member here, feel free to add that in and its meaning as well. If, for whatever reason, you would like your username not added to the wiki please reply to this stating as much. (That will ensure I a) don't keep bothering you, b) don't think you're being a jerk and ignoring me and c) there is no c)

Thank you, again, ahead of time for your cooperation. :monster:Idea: dispense with the name meaning page and insert that useless trivia in a person's wiki entry!

I will make this response a thread because it is such a great idea!

Please discuss the wiki and why you love/hate it! Do not feel guilty; it does not possess feelings!

I hate every member entry which reads like a guestbook/tagboard; are we confusing wiki entries with yearbook scribbles?!

rubah
07-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I think a mixture of both would be best! The yearbook bio information at the top and the yearbook signatures at the bottom ;)

NorthernChaosGod
07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
I honestly have no idea wtf this thread is about.

rubah
07-09-2010, 12:22 AM
lynx wants the wiki to have more information about members instead of just random scribbles. Be a little more authoritative.

Christmas
07-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I remember I used to update the wiki and write stuff for everyone. I think I will start doing it again! :bigsmile:

Who dun have a wiki entry btw? :bigsmile:

Shlup
07-09-2010, 12:36 AM
I put a divider line between the actual bio-part and the yearbook-ish part on mine. Looks quite sassy, I daresay.

Bunny
07-09-2010, 12:41 AM
My wiki entry is neat.

Vyk
07-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Wow, I didn't even notice this thread and stumbled across my wiki and commented to someone on an update of mine just a little while ago xD

Meat Puppet
07-09-2010, 01:37 AM
when we die none of this will matter

Christmas
07-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Brb suicide.

Vyk
07-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Don't worry Christmas! Your Wiki edits will always matter to meeee~!!! :'(

NorthernChaosGod
07-09-2010, 01:50 AM
I remember I used to update the wiki and write stuff for everyone. I think I will start doing it again! :bigsmile:

Who dun have a wiki entry btw? :bigsmile:

D'awwwww, you did mine. :bigsmile:

rubah
07-09-2010, 02:29 AM

but you did it anyway

Awrini
07-09-2010, 02:36 AM
I think I went off on him in a pm or something.

Raistlin
07-09-2010, 02:43 AM
My wiki tells the best story.

Agent Proto
07-09-2010, 03:01 AM
My wiki is outdated. :jess:

Cuchulainn
07-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Do people go there? I think I had one years back, Iri Valentine made it without my knowledge.

It was basically just random post it notes from people trying to be funny & not actually about the person though & judging by this thread I guess it has not changed.

If someone wants to start making proper ones, more power to your elbow.

Christmas
07-09-2010, 03:11 AM
EDIT:I think I am responsible for scribbling and stuff! :(

So why not we do it this way? Who doesn't want others to post thoughts and comments about them in the wiki and instead just want a plain nice one about themselves? :bigsmile:

You can PM me the info you want to see in your own wiki and I will edit it for you! :bigsmile:

Jiro
07-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Guardian and I have been working tirelessly to update the wiki in as many areas as we can, to the specifications of the wiki. If you want to change what sort of content we're putting in, I feel a feedback thread is in order.

I dislike the wiki's appearance. Something about it doesn't gel with me. I also find it hard to navigate. Other than that, I find it incredibly enjoyable to look at a bit of history and find dirt on other members.

Vyk
07-09-2010, 03:24 AM
I actually like the post-it notes, even though I'm not very popular in that regard. Because even if I were popular, I don't want some encyclopedia style dialog defining who I am and what I've done. I'd rather my entry be experienced instead of just read and learned. So have at it! (In my very humble opinion anyway)

NorthernChaosGod
07-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Douche. :mad:

~*~Celes~*~
07-09-2010, 07:09 AM

;-; *comforts Eric*

G13
07-09-2010, 07:18 AM
It's ok. I went off on him too. :monster:

I don't understand what this is all about Lynx. I thought this was going to be a feedback thread.

Meat Puppet
07-09-2010, 08:43 AM

but you did it anyway
pre-enlightenment
does not count
so
SHUT UUUUUUUUUPPPPPPP

Rodarian
07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Leave Eric alone!! Poor fellow does more than he should!

Bunny you should be ashamed of yo-- STOP PLAYING WITH YOURSELF!!!! :eep:

Ouch!
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Dolentrean wrote my wiki entry. I think he was stoned.

Pheesh
07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
My entry is so outdated that it should be written on a rock...with another rock.

I also have no idea who wrote it.

Vyk
07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
It says who last edited. On mine at least it does

Loony BoB
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I agree that member pages should have information about the member as opposed to people saying random things.

Madonna
07-10-2010, 12:41 AM
I think a mixture of both would be best! The yearbook bio information at the top and the yearbook signatures at the bottom ;)This could be borne!

when we die none of this will matterThen let me know how you like your eggs in the morning!

Guardian and I have been working tirelessly to update the wiki in as many areas as we can, to the specifications of the wiki. If you want to change what sort of content we're putting in, I feel a feedback thread is in order.You and Guardian XIII have my thanks for the effort you two put forth! A better cohesion of formatting and data input are the results of consistent editors!

I don't understand what this is all about Lynx. I thought this was going to be a feedback thread.Let me know when you get a staff title on the fora or site!

I agree that member pages should have information about the member as opposed to people saying random things.So seldom do we agree, I must worry about my own view!

Freya
07-10-2010, 01:03 AM
I love the wiki! Some of it needs work but the boys are diligently including a vast amount of time to work on it! I'm glad XIII is putting up with all the smack talk because the wiki is improving a whole bunch because of it! Sure people might not like some of the articles on there but that is why he's working hard to improve it! Keep being supremely awesome guys!

Melissaur
07-10-2010, 01:17 AM

Douche. :mad:

;-; *comforts Eric*

Leave Eric alone!! Poor fellow does more than he should!

I love the wiki! Some of it needs work but the boys are diligently including a vast amount of time to work on it! I'm glad XIII is putting up with all the smack talk because the wiki is improving a whole bunch because of it! Sure people might not like some of the articles on there but that is why he's working hard to improve it! Keep being supremely awesome guys!

Basically. I think what Eric is doing is good for this site, and I don't understand the point in this thread... Wouldn't it just be easier to have responded to his PM with the information he needed than posting as thread, anyways?

Christmas
07-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I have to agree with Lynx there! So maybe we have a standard template to follow when we edit? :bigsmile:

Eyes on Final Fantasy: memberlist:rodarian (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/memberlist/rodarian)

Like this one here? :bigsmile:

qwertysaur
07-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Don't mention formatting. Along with Momiji I had to comb through the entire wiki and redo every single link that had more than 1 word in it because a third member was keeping them as one word and the wiki will read "Loony BoB" and "LoonyBoB" as two different pages. :|

There are two golden rules for the wiki. One is to make a lot of links between articles. Having articles that have few links to them runs a risk of orphaning them. An orphaned article has nothing that links to it but the page exists. Also these links better be in the correct format, because otherwise you will end up making dead links for things that already have articles and it will get confusing. More info is found on the wiki itself. If you plan on editing/creating pages, read the syntax guide.

The second rule is have fun. If you don't like how a members page looks then nobody is stopping you from editing it. Just don't be a jerk and vandalize it or anything you wouldn't do on the forums themselves.

Edit: Eyes on Final Fantasy: templates (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/templates)

Christmas
07-10-2010, 02:46 AM
There are two golden rules for the wiki. One is to make a lot of links between articles. Having articles that have few links to them runs a risk of orphaning them. An orphaned article has nothing that links to it but the page exists. Also these links better be in the correct format, because otherwise you will end up making dead links for things that already have articles and it will get confusing. More info is found on the wiki itself. If you plan on editing/creating pages, read the syntax guide.

Let's take this for example:

Eyes on Final Fantasy: memberlist:rodarian (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/memberlist/rodarian)

and I link that above to

Eyes on Final Fantasy: memberlist (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/memberlist)

This. Is that how things work? :bigsmile:

qwertysaur
07-10-2010, 02:52 AM
I actually just made a section for templates. Link is in my previous post in this thread. :p

Christmas
07-10-2010, 02:54 AM
I actually just made a section for templates. Link is in my previous post in this thread. :p

Ya! That's a good idea! :bigsmile:

But what about the links that you mention? Am I doing it right? :bigsmile:

qwertysaur
07-10-2010, 03:03 AM

Ya! That's a good idea! :bigsmile:

But what about the links that you mention? Am I doing it right? :bigsmile:
Yes! :kaoclove:

However I'm not sure who did this but here is an example of what not to do.
In the competitions page there is a link to EoFF Elections, while in groups and factions there was a link that leads to Elections, a page that also has no content. I've already fixed the link, but you want to avoid things like that.

Raistlin
07-10-2010, 04:41 AM
I agree that member pages should have information about the member as opposed to people saying random things.So seldom do we agree, I must worry about my own view!

I think we have to argue for the other side now.

Jiro
07-10-2010, 05:29 AM
I've made the elections my priority, but thank you for fixing that up qwerty. Seems like I'm gonna have to comb other pages for possible linkbacks or whatever the term is.

Clo
07-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Do... do I have a wiki? How do I get one?

G13
07-10-2010, 06:02 AM
You're on my list of people who need one, Clo. Jiro and I are going to be tackling that next after we've finished what we're working on now.

Vyk
07-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Hm maybe I wasn't aware of just how jarbled a mess the wiki was. Like I said, I'm all for note-padding it, because I enjoy the idea of weird random edits about people. But if people are just being weird and random with no focus, well, the wiki definitely doesn't really need to be that much like usernotes. So I would submit to the idea of templating and balancing out the messiness

G13
07-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Which one of you sabotaged the wiki!? D:

Awrini
07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
hmmm, Internal Server error. I blame BoB.

Jiro
07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
That was my fault guys :shobon:

Chloe.
07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't think I have a wiki, I wouldn't even know how, to be honest.

Madonna
07-10-2010, 09:50 PM
That was my fault guys :shobon:Was?! It is busted still!

It would not hurt too much to concede using qwertysaur's template, so I do urge members to use it!

Chloe., if the period is an acceptable part of an address, the beautiful thing is you can make your own here: http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/memberlist/Chloe. . A wiki is a fun thing with which to mess around and experiment!

Baloki
07-11-2010, 08:54 AM
What Wiki >.>;;;

Loony BoB
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't think anyone is talking smack about GXIII and I think that it's good that it was posted here rather than done via a private message. I think people are just joining together in a productive discussion which helps GXIII figure out how best to go about his updating of the wiki. Nothing bad about that, so long as the discussion doesn't go on too long! It's a good thing. :)

Is the wiki still down? I can't check at work.

Cuchulainn
07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes. The Aussie fella broke it *points*

Loony BoB
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Baloki's Australian? Of course. It all makes sense now...

Cuchulainn
07-17-2010, 01:07 AM
No, I like to blame Mr Barker on things & seen a window. I don't care who actually broke it.