PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age 2 Announced!

f f freak
07-09-2010, 12:04 AM
So, Dragon Age 2 has now been officially announced, but not much information has been given so far. I can't find any websites with really good information, so have some websites with less than stellar info.

Dragon Age 2 announced | Technology | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/jul/08/games-pc)

Dragon Age II officially announced | Metro.co.uk (http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/834536-dragon-age-ii-officially-announced)

And the official website (http://dragonage.bioware.com/agegate/?url=%2Fda2%2F)

Thoughts? Opinions?

Feel free to post better links as mine are pretty terrible.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-09-2010, 01:56 AM
So, Dragon Age 2 has now been officially announced, but not much information has been given so far. I can't find any websites with really good information, so have some websites with less than stellar info.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Feel free to post better links as mine are pretty terrible.

I think a lot of people imagined that they would continue the story of the Grey Warden who survived the battle of Ostagar but I suppose that's what Dragon Age: Awakenings is for.

Freya
07-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Ooo I am excited!

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-09-2010, 06:15 AM
This has made my day. The concept art looks cool and a bit darker.

Hopefully my PC will be up to snuff! :D

~*~Celes~*~
07-09-2010, 06:55 AM
SO STOKED! I need to get my own 360 so I can play it as often as I like B)

McLovin'
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Looks like they'll take what they did not so well on in DA 1 and make it way better in DA 2. How can it not be good?

Iceglow
07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm hoping they don't do a Fable 2 and change the world too much I liked Ferelden as it was though I would love to see some of the other countries out there. I would assume it would have another blight involved since the whole blight was the big bad out there in the first but not necessarily. Theres a lot of things that could be the enemy in the world of Dragon Age, Darkspawn and the Blights being just one of them. I think personally it'd be cool if somewhere like the mines and roads of the dwarves were constantly replenished with darkspawn however since killing the monsters once and then not seeing any more no matter how many times I went through the roads felt a little odd.

Loony BoB
07-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I should probably finish Origins someday... although having to restart will be a pain. Maybe I still have my old game save on a hard drive somewhere and can drag it over.

Shadowdust
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I was really excited to see the announcement and the fact that it's such a short wait makes it that much better. I really wish we were getting the debut trailer a little bit sooner than August 17 though. :(

Flying Arrow
07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Some of those links make it sound like Bioware is completely overhauling the mechanics. Is it possible they're trying to make it work better on consoles? DA:O was clunky at best when it came to combat and the interface. If so, I hope they're prepared to feel the wrath of all the PC kids.

I'm also hoping for more interesting environments. At the same time as being graphically eh, DA:O had a grand total of zero engaging maps.

I do hope, however, that they retain the same quality of writing! Maybe even kick it up a notch with more story outcomes and possibilities. Could work, considering the game is centered on one character rather than six possible origin stories.

Casey
07-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Beat Origins and Awakening recently, so I sure look forward to Dragon Age Two.

Clo
07-10-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm still playing Origins, but I'm loving it, and I'm ready to play more in the series. I think this game looks great!

Freya
07-11-2010, 12:06 AM
I got my gameinformer in the mail that's all "DRAGON AGE 2!" so have some info!

Says that they are giving it a "boost of adrenaline" but will be leaving things that work like the group tactical dynamics, so you wont have to worry about new battle system. It's during the same time just I guess a different area of the world, one of the other nations I believe. It starts right around the end of DA:O so you'll see some familiar events.

They asked if we'd see any characters from the original game.

"We are certainly not done with Morrigan's story," hints lead designer Mike Laidlaw. "I can say that."

You'll still be able to create a male or female so that's cool. I like making a chick and kicking ass :p but I guess, like mass effect 2, you're no longer silent. You will actually speak. So no more keeping your peephole shut!

Depending on what you did in DA:O will affect your new world. You wont be playing your hero but it'll affect ferelden. Like if Alistair is King or whatever.

You're name is Hawk, Champion of Kirkwall. Unlike Origins you wont be able to choose your race, you'll be a human. The dialogue choices will be paraphrased and also say (Sarcastic) or (aggressive) etc so you don't have to spend all your time reading the dialogue boxes. Also the story is set years in the future but you play the past. Confused? You play the narrators retelling about Hawke, the Champion of Kirkwall's past. How he became a champion etc. That way they can span the 10 years without all the messy travel time.

Their morality system really is just, If you save this city then you'll see them around in the future or if you don't save it you'll see the repercussions in the future. Things like that. Your party members will be affected by your choices but they wont leave(like if you were more evil you couldn't use wynne cause she'd get all pissy and leave). They may try to "show you up" in battle though cause they don't really like you which will mess up your battle from the traditional sense.

You'll have warrior, rogue, and mage but with more specializations! And magic will actually do killing blows like blowing an orges head up! Neat. The PC version has the pause and plan thing like it did in Origins so you have to do more thinking, while the console version they tried to make it more responsive and faster. So they didn't try to mimic each other but they are different. The console version is much faster, not dynasty warriors fast but faster.

OH and they have a picture of dragon Flemeth o.o and I guess she turns back into her self and approaches you?

SO YEAH there have some info!

f f freak
07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Interesting info there, but I really wish they were done with Morrigan. No matter what they do with it, it's going to upset a lot of people, or make BioWare go through a lot of work trying to set up a bunch of different storylines.

I'm not happy with the paraphrasing of dialogue choices. I liked reading each one and then choosing based on the type of character I was playing.

Super excited about the return of Flemeth, but that might only be depending on certain choices made in DA:O. Still, her character was probably one of the most interesting in the entire game.

Not sure I like the idea of companions trying to 'show me up'. It could be interesting as long as the characters I like will be easy to keep happy.

Mages getting killing blows is really cool, but could you elaborate on what you put here:

The PC version has the pause and plan thing like it did in Origins so you have to do more thinking, while the console version they tried to make it more responsive and faster.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

Anyway, I think I need to stop treating this as DA:O 2 in my mind and recognise it as just DA 2. Maybe that way I can be more excited about it.

Freya
07-11-2010, 01:06 AM
It went on to talk about how the PC version you had to think a bit more on your tactics while the console version, since you only have so many buttons, couldn't do that well (see DA:O and the sometimes clunky battle system). So they made it so the PC you still have to think more while the console they fixed to be more quick action.

And yes don't think of it as DA:O 2. It's not following the same story of your warden. It's there to show you the DA universe.

And what it means by paraphrasing is that the dialogue when you choose it, is still shown/heard. It's just so you can make a quicker choice instead of wasting your time reading/hearing the same thing twice.

f f freak
07-11-2010, 01:28 AM
It went on to talk about how the PC version you had to think a bit more on your tactics while the console version, since you only have so many buttons, couldn't do that well (see DA:O and the sometimes clunky battle system). So they made it so the PC you still have to think more while the console they fixed to be more quick action.

And yes don't think of it as DA:O 2. It's not following the same story of your warden. It's there to show you the DA universe.

And what it means by paraphrasing is that the dialogue when you choose it, is still shown/heard. It's just so you can make a quicker choice instead of wasting your time reading/hearing the same thing twice.

Oh, I see. That sucks. I only played the Console version of DA:O, but I found it to be a highly tactical system that relied heavily on where I cast my spells (I played a Mage by the way, if that wasn't obvious). I hope it doesn't just become a mindless hack 'n' slash on the consoles, as there is no way my laptop would be able to run the game.

I understand the paraphrasing thing, as I assume it will be similar to Mass Effect, but the thing with Mass Effect was, sometimes I picked an option but then when Shepard actually said the line, it wasn't what I had in mind when picking it.

Ah well, I'm just grateful to be having another adventure within the DA Universe.

07-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Hawke is apparently a survivor of Lothering after it was attacked/destroyed by the Blight in DA:O.

Clo
07-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Aw, but I liked reading my options and choosing them. And I wish I could design my own character still, ie pick a name and race, but oh well! I can deal.

The battle system sure can be clunky. I'm playing it on a PC right now, and it's much better than when I played it briefly on the console.

I'm-a gonna miss the Wardens. But I want to find more about Morrigan and Flemeth, definitely.

07-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm hoping for maybe more DLC. Hopefully, they will release a DLC that will deal with Morrigan's epilogue? That'd be cool. And apparently there's still something on Feb 1st, 2011 to look forward to! I wonder what they'll do!