PDA

View Full Version : Instant Messenger of choice

Agent Proto
07-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Okay, let's duke it out between the Instant Messengers. There are three IM programs in use. MSN, Y!M, and AIM. Which one is your favorite?

Mine is AIM. 8-)

Poll coming up.

fire_of_avalon
07-11-2010, 02:53 AM
I used all of these for a long time, but now I use only mIRC. Mostly because I don't think anyone who I used to talk with on the others use them anymore.

Christmas
07-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Visitor Messages are a cute little way to leave a message for a friend without having to worry about your Mognet space or needing a reply. Don't spam them up though. Instances of Visitor Message abuse will get them deleted, your ability to post them taken away, or in very serious cases, yourself banned.

You may see in your Profile if you have any Visitor Messages, and the date of the last one received is also noted. You cannot use HTML in usernotes. Also, if you are banned from Eyes on Each Other, your Visitor Message privileges are taken away.

Finally, you will receive the ability to post Visitor Messages to other people's profiles after being a member for 7 days and having made 10 posts.

This is the best Instant Messenger ever. You dun know that Blues? :confused:

Agent Proto
07-11-2010, 03:01 AM
I refuse to believe Visitor Messages are Instant Messengers. :nonono:

Christmas
07-11-2010, 03:04 AM
I usually reply instantly though. I think mine is a Version 4.0.4 (http://forums.eyesonff.com/eoff-community-project-vbulletin-4/133218-upgrade-4-0-2-4-0-4-a.html)but while you take aeons or never reply. I think yours is a bit outdated like your mind. I hope you will take time to reflect on your actions and update your visitor messages. :bigsmile:

rubah
07-11-2010, 03:21 AM
like foa, my favorite real time communication is IRC, but I draw a distinction between IRC and IM-- I can go into detail on this if anyone is interested.

my favorite IM protocol is aim. I'm not interested in voice or video very much (skype for that), and aim has the best file transfer and image sharing capabilities, as well as linking and markup

Vermachtnis
07-11-2010, 03:23 AM
MSN, it's the only one I use. When I remember to sign in at all that is :P

Shorty
07-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Used to be AIM, but I was conned into using MSN and now I can't stop.

I hate Yahoo, though. Can't stand it.

Pheesh
07-11-2010, 03:37 AM
MSN is the one for me, it's the only one I've ever really used.

Clo
07-11-2010, 03:48 AM
I have AIM right now. Not many people seem to have it; I think only three people regularly talk to me, and I have two others who occasionally come on.

AIM is a lonely place.

NorthernChaosGod
07-11-2010, 03:49 AM
AIM! My IM conversations combine into one window and it's much more streamlined and easier to read. :cool:

Pheesh
07-11-2010, 03:54 AM
AIM! My IM conversations combine into one window and it's much more streamlined and easier to read. :cool:

Tsk, AIM users, not too savvy with the alt+tab keys eh? /smug

Vyk
07-11-2010, 03:56 AM
AIM is preferred. But all the other losers use MSN, so its hard to avoid

I actually spent some time learning how to hack AIM to let me use font color settings that aren't in its default settings. Web hexcodes for colors instead of the .... 15? or so defaults that they limit you to. Also I learned how to make my own expressions. So by far AIM is the prettiest most customizable chat program for me. Although I use an ancient version 'cause AIM 6+ was just an ugly abomination regardless and it just kept getting worse so I have my doubts the newer versions are any better

AIM lets you pause and/or resume downloads, so when a transfer fails its not a complete waste of time

All-in-all I really don't know how it is that it's not -everyone-'s preferred chat client. But maybe versions 6+ can be blamed for that xD

Raistlin
07-11-2010, 04:14 AM
I've been using AIM more than anything lately, though before that I used mostly MSN.

Bunny
07-11-2010, 04:15 AM
I prefer AIM, even though it still sucks.

Clo
07-11-2010, 04:19 AM
And AIM is leading the polls! Here I thought I was a loser.

Vyk
07-11-2010, 04:34 AM
http://www2.wcoil.com/~samu/expressions/goth-sample.jpg

Even though its been something like 7 or 8 years since I made this. Its still relevant

In fact, I should make another one. Possibly EoFF oriented. Just for the sentiment

Nominus Experse
07-11-2010, 04:36 AM
ffdse

Shiny
07-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Momiji
07-11-2010, 05:00 AM
AIM stopped sucking as much as it did before, but I still prefer MSN and IRC to it.

Necronopticous
07-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Pidgin.

Meat Puppet
07-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Steam. Is :bou::bou::bou::bou: indeed, but for some reason the people I like to talk to refuse to use any other means.

And I’m not special enough for them to change their ways...

:bou::bou::bou::bou:ali/sosadoh

G13
07-11-2010, 08:55 AM
MSN. It's easy and I fear change. I can't even navigate Skype. :(

aquatius
07-11-2010, 09:32 AM
MSN~

Fujiko
07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I voted mIRC.

Roogle
07-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I voted mIRC.

Loony BoB
07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
mIRC is the best for chatrooms.
AIM is the best for filesharing conversations and for chatting with people who are using mobile phones. It was also the best for smilies, but the new ones are hideous and the option for small smilies has been removed (or I just can't find it :(). Probably the best for user-friendliness, too.
Y!M is the best for one-on-one chats and voice conferences and, following the above bit, smilies.
Skype is the best (so I'm told) for webcams and one-on-one voice chats.
MSN is not the best for chatrooms, filesharing conversations, chatting with people using mobile phones, one-on-one chats, voice conferences, webcams or one-on-one voice chats. Or smilies. Or style. But it is the best for obnoxious usernames.

Not sure which of the top four come up trumps for style, now that I think about it.

Breine
07-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I guess MSN. It's been ages since I've used it, though.

Rebellious Eagle
07-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I used to use AIM when it was all the rage before facebook but now I use MSN.

Mo-Nercy
07-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Gotta be MSN.

Chloe.
07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I use MSN but I hardly ever sign in.

Carnage-
07-11-2010, 06:02 PM
MSN aaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllll day.

Vyk
07-11-2010, 06:26 PM
BoB just brought up a lot of valid points on why MSN sucks. I don't get why everyone chose it

As for being afraid of change, Y!M would have been the way to go, there. Its barely evolved since its inception. MSN has gone through numerous complete overhauls. Even changing which side of the screen display pictures and buttons are on. I haven't followed AIM, but I only know of one major over-haul. They may have done two. But after Y!M its probably still the lease renovated

Never used Skype, but if I get back into video chatting, I'll have to keep that in mind. 'Cause Yahoo blew chunks for that and MSN isn't that much better at it

Loony BoB
07-11-2010, 06:39 PM
BoB just brought up a lot of valid points on why MSN sucks. I don't get why everyone chose it.
It's what they're used to and a buttload of people use it because they don't know anything else and if they do know something else then they aren't familiar enough with it. It's the same reason I prefer Windows to Linux and IE to Firefox. :p

NorthernChaosGod
07-11-2010, 07:44 PM

I hate combing things on my taskbar and it's fucking awful looking to have like 10 fucking windows. Fuck that noise.

And MSN is fucking ugly and bloated anyway.

escobert
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Msn I guess. I don't really use them anymore.

G13
07-11-2010, 09:57 PM

I hate combing things on my taskbar and it's smurfing awful looking to have like 10 smurfing windows. smurf that noise.

And MSN is smurfing ugly and bloated anyway.

Dude, I've seen screenshots of you using msn. :confused:

NorthernChaosGod
07-11-2010, 10:05 PM
That's also how I talk to you, but that's because I have to use it. :tongue:

Meat Puppet
07-12-2010, 12:06 AM
AIM is also ugly and bloated, although that hasn’t always been the case. I much preferred its earlier, simple manifestation, back when MSN was too ugly and bloated to even run on the computer I had at the time.
Yes, I know about that, and no, I’m not going to download it.

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2010, 12:13 AM
AIM is also ugly and bloated, although that hasn’t always been the case. I much preferred its earlier, simple manifestation, back when MSN was too ugly and bloated to even run on the computer I had at the time.
Yes, I know about that, and no, I’m not going to download it.

Since when has AIM been ugly and bloated? o_O

Pheesh
07-12-2010, 01:26 AM

I hate combing things on my taskbar and it's smurfing awful looking to have like 10 smurfing windows. smurf that noise.

And MSN is smurfing ugly and bloated anyway.

10 windows? Let's not go nuts with the self glorification there, you need to have 10 contacts first /smug

((I'm really enjoying that face. It opens up whole new avenues of conversation!!))

Clouded Sky
07-12-2010, 01:46 AM
I think everyone has their preferences and often these preferences are steeped in tradition. I remember my first experience 10+ years ago with Y!M, then learning that lots of the internet including many EoFFers used MSN so I switched. Then it seems like everyone in college used AIM. I still have my gmail attached to my AIM in case I need it, but somehow Skype has now become my weapon of choice. I have used it forever for video chat and international calling, but now the friendlist I've built and their cumulative time spent online means Skype is the easiest way for me to get in touch with people.

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Sticky Notes, AIM, Firefox, MSN, etc. Prick.

Vyk
07-12-2010, 01:54 AM
Its sad to hear AIM ruined their smileys. MSN used to have really good smileys. Second only to AIM. But they ruined theirs long ago. At the time Yahoo were the worst. Its weird to hear that they're now the best. Yet another reason to never upgrade AIM. Too bad MSN forces you to be no less than like 2 versions behind, otherwise they block your connection until you upgrade. Bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: (incidentally, Yahoo does something similar. Also bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. In this regard, AIM wins again)

Clo
07-12-2010, 02:53 AM
I don't care how attractive my IM is.

Pheesh
07-12-2010, 02:55 AM

Inorite!? I don't see how it's appearance could really bother someone.

rubah
07-12-2010, 05:22 AM
You guys really should expand your horizons and try out some combination clients :p trillian and pidgin on windows, adium on osx. It's eye-opening. Especially since they tend to have a much smaller footprint than any one of the individual IM clients xD

Bunny
07-12-2010, 05:32 AM
I used Trillian for awhile but it was more annoying than a blessing. Adium was decent on my mactop though.

I still prefer single programming it. Sometimes I don't want to be on MSN.

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2010, 07:27 AM

Inorite!? I don't see how it's appearance could really bother someone.

Because this is ugly and much too large.
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4950/msnan.jpg

This is a lot neater.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1161/aimk.jpg

You might want to censor out the naughty bits of those messages before posting it.

Rodarian
07-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Msn....Nuff said

Zeromus_X
07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
AIM.

Vyk
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Uh.. NGC, you're allowed to resize that MSN window. You don't have to leave it its default size :P

And rubah, I tried almost all of them, though I think Pidgin used to be GAIM or something else. And it sucked back then. Trillian was pretty awesome, but then they stopped updating it and it lost protocol for Y!M and it still has ICQ which is an annoying waste of space. Nobody in their right mind uses ICQ anymore. Nobody in their right mind should have ever used ICQ. I tried it out just because a couple of people I knew had it, but they were not worth keeping it for xD Odd that its protocol was so similar to AIM's that Trillian just kinda combined the two

Trillian was nice in that it allowed resumable file transfers over MSN. But it was an abomination when it came to AIM and only passable for IRC. Its ease of use and convenience far surpasses mIRC, but its capabilities as an IRC client leave a lot to be desired. Last time I used Trillian it was 2 years outdated. Now it'd probably be something like 6 years outdated, unless someone actually started working on it again

It was very skinnable which was nice. But its font settings were all weird. Which is what made it very retarded over AIM. Highlighting text with color instead of allowing a background color. It lacked the compensation that AIM used to fix the text where retards would put black text over black background

GAIM had most of these problems as well

Loony BoB
07-12-2010, 01:44 PM
ICQ was funky for a little while because you could see what people typed as they typed it, which lead to some vague amusement at how many people made repeated typos. :p But yeah. Trillian I used for MSN chat for a while but I gave that up when Y!M started "talking" to MSN.

Carl the Llama
07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
MSN, cause I can make my own smilies.

Used to use YiM but then all my friends up and left me for MSN so I followed, although I like the fact that MSN users and Yahoo users can add each other.

rubah
07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Um, what vyk? Trillian still supports y!m afaik. And as far as their website says. (http://www.trillian.im/learn/tour-features.html#Yahoo!%20Messenger) And when I was still on windows, it was updated constantly-- which made keeping trillian pro cracked a pain in the butt:p How does an IM program get to be "outdated", anyway? A lot of people I know still use old versions of aim etc to minimize the ads and stuff :p

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Uh.. NGC, you're allowed to resize that MSN window. You don't have to leave it its default size :P

I know that, but then I don't have any damn space for anything. :mad2:

Vyk
07-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Um, what vyk? Trillian still supports y!m afaik. And as far as their website says. (http://www.trillian.im/learn/tour-features.html#Yahoo!%20Messenger) And when I was still on windows, it was updated constantly-- which made keeping trillian pro cracked a pain in the butt:p How does an IM program get to be "outdated", anyway? A lot of people I know still use old versions of aim etc to minimize the ads and stuff :p

I used Trillian back sometime early in the decade. Maybe 2002. When it was new. Then around 2005 when I got on here and made a few friends. Having all the chat programs plus IRC was a pain, so I went back to Trillian. And it had only made it a few versions past what I had. And it stayed that way for like 2 years. MSN and Yahoo won't let you log in if your version is too old. Whatever version of Yahoo Trillian was mimicking was too old to let you log in under Yahoo. And Cerulian studios or whoever it was that made Trillian had basically called it quits. They maybe started being active again recently. But they definitely took a few years off there for a while. I kept checking back for a while, but nothing ever changed. Heck they even offered Trillian Pro 3 for free on their site because they had no intention of doing anything anymore so the people that wanted it might as well have it. I might look back into it, if it really is active again

Incidentally I'm one of the people who use an old version of AIM with DeadAIM. But Yahoo and MSN won't let you use really old versions. And I'm pretty sure even AIM won't let you use anything older than 4.8. Unless they got off their high horse. But Y!M and MSN definitely have restrictions on the age of your client. You don't have to be up to date, but you can only lag behind by a couple versions before you're cut off

Edit: Just checked Wikipedia, they did indeed take two years off after 3.1. And I guess I was wrong on -why- they were blocked from Yahoo. Apparently Yahoo did it on purpose. Confusing considering the error it threw just said the version was too outdated. So on that score I'm wrong. I just assumed it was valid, because I -know- MSN and Yahoo do that. The version of Y!M on my desktop computer is no longer allowed to connect for being too outdated. And one of my online friends was just recently forced to upgrade MSN a couple months ago for lagging too far behind. Honestly I'm surprised AIM isn't just as strict. So no, they don't become "outdated". Just the companies behind them are douchebags, instead of offering security patches, they just force you to completely update after a while

Loony BoB
07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
AOL, Microsoft or Yahoo! Select your lesser of three evils today!

Rantz
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
If only everyone would use Gtalk!

Or my IM protocol, RIM (Rantzien's Instant Messenger)

Vyk
07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't know why Google Talk didn't take off

I've never tried it 'cause I don't know anyone who has it. But I imagine its a better client than all of them

Rantz
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I prefer it to most because it's so lightweight and simple (and pretty as a result of this), but like you said, nobody uses it xD

On topic though, MSN is my primary messenger mainly because most people I talk to has it or Y!M, which also connects with MSN. I also use Digsby as a catchall for other protocols - AIM, Gtalk, and Facebook chat, and also for the Gmail and Twitter notifier. I don't use it for MSN because I want webcam chat and other features.

NorthernChaosGod
07-14-2010, 02:05 AM

I've never tried it 'cause I don't know anyone who has it. But I imagine its a better client than all of them

Because fuck Google.

rubah
07-14-2010, 02:06 AM
I like being able to use gtalk and aim from a gmail window ^_~

Vyk
07-14-2010, 06:09 AM

Because smurf Google.

I love Google

I want their phone, and operating system, and I'm so joining their social networking site when it launches

I wonder if Google followers will be referred to as Googlings

Bunny
07-14-2010, 06:38 AM
I prefer the term Googlodytes.

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2010, 02:46 AM

Because smurf Google.

I love Google

I want their phone, and operating system, and I'm so joining their social networking site when it launches

I wonder if Google followers will be referred to as Googlings

I hope you like the feeling of *snip*. They're a business like everyone else.

EDIT BY BoB: Inappropriate stuff is inappropriate. Please avoid these kind of statements.

Jessweeee♪
07-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes. So let's avoid all businesses because secretly they all want our money and stuff. (It's a secret don't tell anyone!)

Peegee
07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
It's funny because I have msn です for most people, but I have the other messengers for specific friends. For example for no reason at all I used ICQです for years because of a friend who was also on msn. Or I'll use aim for no reason at all since alliesです the asian is in msn and on google chat. I lost my ICQ password so it doesn't matter, but for aim if I lost it, I don't think it will matter [though that sheffie girl seems to only sign in there]

What is so good about aimです?

NorthernChaosGod
07-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Yes. So let's avoid all businesses because secretly they all want our money and stuff. (It's a secret don't tell anyone!)

Thanks for missing the point, because everyone is just as trusting of Microsoft as they are of Google.

Vyk
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Microsoft's kind of a necessary evil. Google's actually trying to innovate and help. But every business needs to make money. I don't -trust- MS, I just prefer their stuff to most of the alternatives. Google I actually like. I'm wondering in what way they rubbed you wrong

Loony BoB
07-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I think it comes down to that MS make you pay a crapload of money for something that you can rely on not "gathering information" on you behind the scenes. In other words, they do what they say on the tin, or at least that's my experience and I'm not very knowledgeable on the various companies, so I could be wrong. But yeah, Google does certainly do that info-gathering and they probably know far more about you than MS does even if you don't purchase their goods often (if at all). So it all comes down to what you value more - money or personal information. Because if you're choosing between them, you're choosing between being mugged for one or the other. :p Again, this is just going by what I've read in various articles on Google vs. Microsoft and how Google is expected to develop in the future, along with ties to governments that Google works with.

Christmas
07-16-2010, 03:32 PM
If you people dun trust Google, Microsoft or what not, there is still the EoFF Visitor Messenger System (USERNOTES) that is alway avaliable 24 hrs, 7 days a week! Just get your friends to register here and a few days later, tada! :bigsmile:

LowCaloriePie
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Where's Skype on this list?

Peegee
07-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Where's Skype on this list?

Skype's a terrible messenger system. I asked my friends asl and they never log on ><

Jessweeee♪
07-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Skype is so useless. It always crashed on us whenever Mogi and I tried video calls. So we just downloaded the Yahoo! 10 Beta and it worked just fine.

NeoCracker
07-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Skype works amazingly for me, I think you're just poopy. :p

Overall, Skype has the best Video calls of them, but for Messenger I use MSN. I hate Yahoo, and I have a personal vendetta against anything AOL related.

LowCaloriePie
07-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Skype is so useless. It always crashed on us whenever Mogi and I tried video calls. So we just downloaded the Yahoo! 10 Beta and it worked just fine.

*shrugs* Never crashed on me. :tongue:

Jessweeee♪
07-19-2010, 07:58 PM

*shrugs* Never crashed on me. :tongue:

For the most part it was fine, but god forbid I gave it webcam access :|

Rocket Edge
07-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Yahoo! Messenger is the best, but none of my friends are really on it, so I use MSN.

Peegee
07-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Yahoo! Messenger is the best, but none of my friends are really on it, so I use MSN.

people still use Y!M? Where are they??? :(:cool::cry::eek::confused: :eep::redface: :mad::mad2::D