PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Disney movies?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't like live-action Disney movies but I do like Aladdin, Lion King, Jungle Book, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, The Rescuers Down Under, Hercules and Robin Hood because I had a personal connection with those movies when I was a child.

But films like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Mulan and Pocahontas are a bit too girlie for me. In fact the only girlie Disney film I can actually tolerate is Alice in Wonderland, that movie wasn't so bad.

NorthernChaosGod
07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Are you kidding me? I love Disney movies, even the girly ones. :colbert:

G13
07-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Disney is the absolute :bou::bou::bou::bou:. They're all great but I'd rather watch something like The Sword in the Stone or The Rescuers over the princess ones.

I never used to like the live action ones but Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure changed that. I still don't like the older ones though, like The Monkey's Uncle or Superdad. The 60's were so annoying.

BarelySeeAtAll
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
This calls for a poll.

I like some, others I can't abide. If that's a word. Hopefully it is. Love lion king, hate..something else I cba to think of XD

Chris
07-11-2010, 11:59 PM
I would hardly call any of them "girly", as most of them, all convey a deeper meaning. I recall reading a very old interview with the man himself, in which he said that his movies were anything but simple, and all had to be watched more than once to be fully comprended and appreciated.

Marshall Banana
07-12-2010, 12:07 AM
The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast have the sweetest love stories, the best characters, and perfect soundtracks, so they're my favorites! They stand apart from all the rest!

Nearly all of my favorite things about these movies were conceived by Howard Ashman, who died right before BatB was completed. I wish he was still around. =(

Chris
07-12-2010, 12:09 AM
The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast have the sweetest love stories, the best characters, and perfect soundtracks, so they're my favorites! They stand apart from all the rest!
I agree, and I would place Aladdin alongside those. :D

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd say my favorite is either The Lion King or Aladdin if we're just counting traditional Disney. I'd certainly include Toy Story and Wall-E if we count Pixar too.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Speaking of Toy Story, I'd say Toy Story 3 is the best of the bunch but that's just one man's opinion.

By the way does anybody know when Toy Story 3 is gonna be available on DVD?

Rad Bromance
07-12-2010, 02:41 AM
So we're mixing Pixar with Disney in this thread? Sweet!

I love pretty much all Disney and Pixar animated features, especially the "girly" princess films. :3

Vyk
07-12-2010, 02:41 AM

Nearly all of my favorite things about these movies were conceived by Howard Ashman, who died right before BatB was completed. I wish he was still around. =(

No wonder those two movies stood out. Ashman must have been awesome. I'm guessing they tried to live up to his legacy in Aladdin and did a pretty decent job, but then lost their connection to his greatness or something, because I think the ideas and love stories have been junk ever since. Lion King and Mulan only win because they succeeded in being different. I haven't seen the newest movie. But Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast stand out as pure excellence in my opinion as well

I can't really get into old Disney, because the cheesey musical stuff forced down your throat doesn't sit well in my stomach. So I prefer things like Sword in the Stone and Rescuers Down Under, myself. Though my all-time favorite old Disney is of course The Black Cauldron. The beginning of Don Bluth's (unfortunately short-lived) legacy

Clo
07-12-2010, 02:47 AM
I like them. Mulan is my favorite. It makes me want to get down to business to defeat some Huns.

I don't like Kingdom Hearts though. :mad2:

G13
07-12-2010, 03:03 AM
GTFO :mad2:

Vyk
07-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah. I hated KH

Pheesh
07-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Yep, Eric said it before I could, not cool Clo.

Lion King is my favourite of the traditional Disney movies, it's hilarious in ways I didn't even realise as a little kid. Also, if we're counting Pixar, then the Toy Story series just leads the way in every sense, those movies are the greatest things ever, particularly the 3rd. I loved it.

EDIT: Also not cool Vyk.

Vyk
07-12-2010, 03:14 AM
I honestly can't understand how anyone enjoyed the first KH long enough for a franchise to be born. I'm convinced people just -wanted- it like it so much that they convinced themselves running around whacking stuff with a stick was fun

Pheesh
07-12-2010, 03:24 AM
You have an awesome Elfen Lied set, so I'm just going to pretend you professed your love for Kingdom Hearts and offered me a cookie. :jess:

Vyk
07-12-2010, 03:29 AM
lol! I'll just meet you half-way :cookie:

G13
07-12-2010, 03:35 AM
It's not a stick... it's a big ass key. :cry:

Pheesh
07-12-2010, 03:39 AM
There, there Eric, have half of my cookie. They just don't understand.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 03:41 AM
When it comes to Kingdom Hearts, I think the Square Enix characters and the Disney characters are entertaining enough on their own but it's the original characters created specifically for KH that suck ass.

Vyk
07-12-2010, 03:49 AM
When it comes to Kingdom Hearts, I think the Square Enix characters and the Disney characters are entertaining enough on their own but it's the original characters created specifically for KH that suck ass.

Its possible I just didn't get far enough into the game to appreciate it properly then. But I figure by the time I'm in the fourth world, I should have a pretty good grasp on the people, their characters, motivations, and whatnot. And the only ones I met were Donald, Goofy, and those KH characters you so eloquently put that "suck ass" (aside from the world-specific characters that weren't traveling with me or changing the course of history or anything, but I don't remember anyone being amusing enough to make me enjoy a specific world anyway. All I remember is a lot of constant whacking)

G13
07-12-2010, 03:55 AM
They are beautiful games. You're missing out. :colbert:

There, there Eric, have half of my cookie. They just don't understand.

*sob*... it's delicious... *sniffle*

I forgot about the Disney/Pixar movies. Those movies are glorious. I think they should give a movie deal to that little lamp that used to jump on the I. :p

Freya
07-12-2010, 04:29 AM
I LOVE Disney. just... I can't describe how much I love it. Just understand that I LOVE it.

Shorty
07-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Alice in Wonderland has been my favorite movie since I can remember. I love all the old classics - Robin Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Rescuers//Rescuers Down Under, The Little Mermaid to name a few. The good, old ones.

Also, just about all the Disney Pixar movies. Pixar is fantastic.

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2010, 07:17 AM
I don't like Kingdom Hearts though. :mad2:

Yeah. I hated KH
You're both dead to me. :mad2:

KH was amazing.

Bunny
07-12-2010, 07:20 AM
KH was amazing.

Okay Julianna.

Disney movies tend to be good. I don't know so much about the newer ones, but the older versions that probably everyone here is familiar with as a child. Those ones. Those are good.

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm still convinced you're a girl, Bunny.

Depression Moon
07-12-2010, 07:37 AM
what live action Disney movies not being good? Must have never saw Blank Check or Pirates.

Breine
07-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I like Disney. It's a big part of my childhood.

Also, I luuuurve Pixar!

Bunny
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm still convinced you're a girl, Bunny.

My vagina would make a lot more sense.

Levian
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
There's something really magical about the colours and drawing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944cPciN-kw) of Disney.

I don't think Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast should be disregarded as girly just because love is a main theme and they involve some of the later stamped disney princesses. These three movies especially are some of Disneys finest work in setting a magical mood with colours, imo. Nothing can surpass the evil of Maleficent and Ursula as well! Only Scar can even compete.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
You know, I saw this girl on a website called That Guy With The Glasses she calls herself The Nostalgia Chick but her real name is Lindsay Ellis. She reviews the films that The Nostalgia Critic deems too "girly" for him to handle. She reviewed Pocahontas but she hasn't touched upon The Little Mermaid yet and I don't know if she really feels this way or if it's just an act put on for the show but she says that she absolutely hates The Little Mermaid.

And to sum it all up, when she expressed her hatred for The Little Mermaid she said, "I traded my soul for a vagina and a man I don't know!" ......:laughing: You gotta admit that joke was funny.

But if I had to defend this movie from Lindsay's hatred, I'd say that it exploited the cheesy "Love at first sight" cliche. And maybe the cliche' would've worked better if they had used the "Sad" ending from the book, because after all The Little Mermaid was based on a Hans Christen Andersen novel.

Marshall Banana
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I feel sorry for that girl. She's missing out!

Chris
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I found it difficult to understand how anyone could even think about using the words "hate" and "Disney" in the same sentence. :(

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Top 11 Villainesses (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thedudette/nostalgia-chick/2536-top-11-villainesses)

If you fast-forward to the Ursula part in this video you'll hear it directly from the horse's mouth.

Vyk
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Lindsay Ellis explains her reasoning in quite a few videos. She also loathes the Beauty and the Beast sequel. I won't detail her points. But I have to say I agree with her in how the movies kinda demean the value of women and skew motivations and stuff. Not the point of the movies, but that's how she saw them, and she's not really wrong imho

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Lindsay Ellis explains her reasoning in quite a few videos. She also loathes the Beauty and the Beast sequel. I won't detail her points. But I have to say I agree with her in how the movies kinda demean the value of women and skew motivations and stuff. Not the point of the movies, but that's how she saw them, and she's not really wrong imho

I know. I just find it funny how Lindsay could take an animated film so seriously, I mean it's just a cartoon movie lighten up. :cool:

Shiny
07-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I like this Nostalgia Chick. I'm not crazy about The Little Mermaid or Beauty in the Beast either, but I use to watch The Little Mermaid show and it wasn't that bad. Mulan, The Lion King, and The Goofy movie will always be my favorite Disney movies.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 11:05 PM
I like this Nostalgia Chick. I'm not crazy about The Little Mermaid or Beauty in the Beast either, but I use to watch The Little Mermaid show and it wasn't that bad. Mulan, The Lion King, and The Goofy movie will always be my favorite Disney movies.

Well actually Lindsay said that she hated the sequel, Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas not the original, Beauty and the Beast.

Dreddz
07-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Call me dull but I find old Disney movies to be quite boring. With the exception of Pinocchio, which is one of the best horror movies of all time.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Call me dull but I find old Disney movies to be quite boring. With the exception of Pinocchio, which is one of the best horror movies of all time.

So do you like any of the modern day Disney stuff? Toy Story? A Bug's Life? Finding Nemo? Bolt? Wall-E? Does any of that interest you?

Shiny
07-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah, and Aladdin was good too.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2010, 11:54 PM

So is your user name Dreddz and Shiny? That's weird.

Dreddz
07-12-2010, 11:55 PM

So do you like any of the modern day Disney stuff? Toy Story? A Bug's Life? Finding Nemo? Bolt? Wall-E? Does any of that interest you?
Generally when I think of Disney I think of the old stuff. I do like Pixar though. They have that level of consistency that Disney did back in the day. Although I have only seen a few of their movies. Toy Story is excellent though and might be one of the best trilogies ever.

Araciel
07-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Yes I do like Disney.

Shiny
07-13-2010, 04:32 AM

He likes Toy Story. I loathe Toy Story with a passion. Everyone was so mean to Woody in the first one, the jerks.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-13-2010, 04:34 AM

He likes Toy Story. I loathe Toy Story with a passion. Everyone was so mean to Woody in the first one, the jerks.

Bo Peep still loved him even though everybody else was switching sides.

DD99
08-17-2010, 01:11 PM
All Disney movies except The Lion King 3 suck.

Winter Nights
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
My favorite Disney flick would have to be "Beauty and the Beast". I also like "Sleeping Beauty", "Robin Hood", and "DuckTales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp".

Of the Pixar films, I think I liked "Ratatouille" best.

asukaevaunit02
08-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I used not care for anything Disney because it was Disney, it was for children.

But a friend got me to watch The Little Mermaid last year, and I loved it, was beautiful So from there I watched a few more, and like most of them.

My top favourite would be Aladdin It was chrming, sweet and quite funny Though The Little Mermaid was a close second.

The visuals of the really old movies from the 60's amaze me visully that they couyld produce something so beautiful back then with so little technology.

However, I'm still not a keen fan of the pixar stuff...

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-21-2010, 02:49 AM
All Disney movies except The Lion King 3 suck.

You say that as if it's a fact and not an opinion. It's like saying all the Lethal Weapon movies except the original suck, or all the Die Hard movies except the original suck, or all the Rocky movies except the original suck, or all the Mad Max movies except the original suck, or all the Matrix movies except the original suck, or all the Terminator movies except the original suck, or all the Batman movies except the original suck, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect...It doesn't matter if somebody says this movie sucks and this other movie doesn't because it's all a matter of taste. Either you like a movie or you don't. But most people go around spouting their opinions as if their facts when they're not.

Rad Bromance
08-21-2010, 04:36 AM
The Lion King 3? I assume you're referring to The Lion King 1 1/2.

It was...drastically better than most Disney direct-to-video debacles, but still crap compared to the original film, of course.

blackmage_nuke
08-21-2010, 06:15 AM
I think he was being sarcastic/trolling. Either that or his taste in movies genuinely sucks.

Anyway I like a lot of disney movies, few disney sequels (Jungle book 2 was a good one) but generally theyre getting worse.

Also Im all for happy endings but that big celebration at the end of Treasure Planet made me want to puke. Also Esmerelda surviving at the end of Hunchback of Notredame and Quasi being totally ok with being friendzoned while the handsome jerk Phoebus gets the girl. I actually think a happier ending wouldve been if Esmerelda died and Quasi still gets lifted off on the shoulders of the crowd.

iced_saltine
08-21-2010, 08:30 AM
hunchback of notre dame is my favorite movie of all time!

but what i really love about (classic) disney movies is just how spectacular the villains are. hercules would have been pretty boring without james woods.

Ultima Shadow
08-21-2010, 12:41 PM
When it comes to Kingdom Hearts, I think the Square Enix characters and the Disney characters are entertaining enough on their own but it's the original characters created specifically for KH that suck ass.I have to dissagree. The worst part of KH (refering to the first one, I still haven't played the second) was that they tried to include the original Disney story in each and every Disney world, but with the heartless mixed in randomly and in a generally half-assed and extremely shortened way that didn't do the original stories any justice.

Even though they are all familiar faces, pretty much all the Disney characters felt flat and boring in the actual game. It would have been way better if they had either made less worlds but put more focus into the story/characters of each... or they could simply have made up a whole new story for each world that had little to do with the original, but actually would fit within the short and extremely limited timespan they were all given.

There were a few exceptions, but in general the small stories told in each world were poorly performed.

While some of the original characters could have used a little bit more developement as well, I personally feel many of them were still better than the majority of the Disney cast in KH.

...that said, I love Kingdom Hearts. Mainly for its gameplay, plus I get a bit nostalgic sometimes while playing it.

As for Disney in general, I like some movies but can't stand others. My absolute all-time fav by far is - and will most likely always remain - the Lion King. Freaking epic movie.

DD99
08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
The Lion King 3? I assume you're referring to The Lion King 1 1/2.
The Lion King 1 1/2 is The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata

crap compared to the original film
No, it wasn't.

Stecloud
08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I love Disney movies, and I think a lot of that is to do with the soundtracks.

The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin: all three of these were scored by Alan Menken, and they are three of my favourite Disney fi;ms. The music in them provides so much emotion.

My ultimate favourite would probably be The Lion King though. Not a Menken production, but you can't really go wrong with Elton John...

black orb
08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
>>> I like some of their old stuff, the new Disney suck balls..:luca:

Otis_Glicker
08-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I adore Disney, as I've grown up with it, and Pixar has it's place, but there's something in me that just doesn't sit right with Pixar. Hard work and imagination is being thrown out the door for computer-generated blobs. There are certain exceptions like Toy Story and Up, and there are a few that were so-so, but for the most part, more emphasis is being put on the fact that it's fancy CGI and how they can do new needless things and less on the plot and characters and most of all, the moral message. Movies used to teach me things about the world as I grew up. I can find none of that in the newer Pixar movies. Again, with certain exceptions, of course.

aquatius
08-28-2010, 11:51 PM
YES of course. The Lion King is my favourite film of all time :'D

evernic
08-31-2010, 03:00 AM
I love Disney movies, esp the girly ones.

HolliWould
09-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Indeed I love all the Old Disney Movies, But "The Princess and the Frog" Was good too. Even the Live action old Disney movies were good, but now look at Disney...

Chris
09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
"The Princess and the Frog" was really good, but good Disney movies nowadays are far and few between.

"Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure". RLY! Come on!