PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't it piss you off when Television executives...

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-13-2010, 05:36 AM
...Don't release a cartoon from your childhood on DVD right away. And then when they finally release it, they don't release the whole damn show right away!!!:mad:

Look at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, sure it has most of it's episodes released on DVD already but we're still missing Season 9 & 10. Then we have Darkwing Dark, Talespin and Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers. All three shows have two volumes each out on the market right now but we're still missing the third volume of each which has the final episodes.

And finally we have DuckTales. This show was on TV for a little bit longer and so we have three volumes containing most of the series instead of the usual two volumes. But obviously we're still missing volume four.

Oh I almost forgot, Gargoyles was released on DVD too but unlike the other Disney shows, the final episodes of Gargoyles will never see the light of day because some ass hole working for the powers that be decided to shortchange the fans who gave them ratings every week. :mad:

The only kick ass cartoon from my childhood that has every episode out on DVD right now is Batman: The Animated Series.

Bunny
07-13-2010, 05:50 AM
No, not really. DVDs are a terrible medium and need to go away immediately. What does make me angry is when television executives cancel amazing shows and replace them with tripe like American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance.

lol torrents

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-13-2010, 06:06 AM
No, not really. DVDs are a terrible medium and need to go away immediately. What does make me angry is when television executives cancel amazing shows and replace them with tripe like American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance.

lol torrents

Oh yeah like Blu-Ray is a great medium for movies and TV shows during a depression-like era such as this. :roll2

Bunny
07-13-2010, 06:15 AM
I suppose I should have clarified a little better. The problem I have is with optical disc storage, not with DVDs alone.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-13-2010, 06:19 AM
I suppose I should have clarified a little better. The problem I have is with optical disc storage, not with DVDs alone.

I know why Gangs of New York had optical disc storage, it's because they freaking put extras on Disc 1 when the whole damn movie should've been on Disc 1. All of the extras should've been on Disc 2.

Yeargdribble
07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
I think physical media is probably generally on its way out. The only reason movies and such aren't more like Steam or iTunes is the issue of disk space and bandwidth. These are honestly becoming non-issues. You know how many BR movies I can fit on a 2TB HD for about 100 bucks?

As devices become available and services are set up to take advantage it's quite likely that you'll own a license to your media but not physically own it or even have to keep a physical copy at all times on a disk but rather own the right access or download a copy at any time.

I love physical copies of things, but I'm not entirely against the thought of collecting movies in a more Steam-like fashion.

To the original point... I do hate waiting for entire series of any time to trickle out. Also, knowing that buying a box set of an entire series in as single lump sum at the end will save me hundreds of dollars, I tend to wait and then buy them as such on Amazon. In the interim I have the internet to provide me with copies.

I think the people making the decisions are probably being smart about it though. They know that most people will find it easier to buy things piecemeal even if it costs more in the long run. These people would never drop 200 bucks on a box set of 10 seasons, but would happy spent 35 bucks a season one a time. Releasing them individually and slowly allows people to be ignorant of how much they are spending on the whole and therefore, much more likely to spend it.

blackmage_nuke
07-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I miss VHS