PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 movie tough guys and gals.

chloec42
07-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm not on about actors and actresses doing a 'tough person role' here, I'm talking about the actual toughest 'Characters' in the movie world.
The kind of Character that feels so real, you wouldn't pick a fight with in a bar in real life.

Here's mine:

#5: 'Tom Mullen' played by Mel Gibson in the movie Ransom.
Overcoming and bravely standing in, an incredibly compromising situation and beating the odds, to save the life of his kidnapped son, then takes on the kidnapper single handed.

#4: 'Ellen' played by Sharon Stone in The Quick And The Dead.
An uncompromising, but not emotionless woman, who overcomes her inner fear of failure, to get justice for her father's murder against a town full of cowards and dangerous gunslingers.

#3: 'Billy' played by Sonny Landham in Predator.
A Marine, a successful Marine, who is "Afraid of no man". Then faces the Predator while armed with only a machete.
Need I say more?

#2: 'John McClane' played by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard saga.
A tough cop with a past, able to adjust to any given situation and does whatever possible to stay alive and bring the bad guys to justice, all at the same time.

My number #1 is: 'Dillon' played by Charles S Dutton in the movie Alien3.
A murderer who reluctantly takes on the role of group leader in an unusually dangerous situation.
He even says "I'll :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou: you" and shouts "Is this as hard as you bite, Mother:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:er?!" as the Alien is tearing him apart!
Now that's tough!

So...

... what are your top five?

gia sư (http://www.hochanhvietnam.com/vn/giasu.html)

Loony BoB
07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Superman, Batman, Juggernaut, The Hulk, Colossus. Or is that cheating?

Okay, okay. I'll avoid those with special powers. And Batman, because, well, he's Batman.

These aren't my top five, because it's too difficult to go through every movie I can think of and pick out just five and say they are the toughest. This is a 'random five'.

James Bond (Various) - Okay, sure, he's not the "traditional" kind of hard man. But really, if you put all the crap he's had to put up with over the movies, it's a lot. For example, I'll use a mere opening scene of a single movie: Die Another Day. Tortured for fourteen months by North Koreans. That's enough alone!

Bryan Mills (Taken) - Takes down massive crime ring on his own using every method possible in order to save his daughter. Played by Liam Neeson. What a guy.

John Hartigan (Sin City) - It was pretty hard to pick between John and Marv, but I'll go with John because he did it all while being much older and also with a bad heart. All to save an eleven year old girl. Spends eight years in prison, gets out, finds the girl and saves her - again - by giving his own life to ensure her safety. Played by Bruce Willis. What a guy.

Harry Callahan (Various) - Just so I can say that I noted him first. Played by Clint Eastwood. What a guy.

John Rambo - He's freakin' Rambo. Played by Sylvester Stallone. What a guy.

Madame Adequate
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
T-800
Ellen Ripley
Snake Plisskin
Riddick
Colonel Miles Quaritch

Honorable mention: Samwise Gamgee. No issue starting a fight with him, but Eru Ilúvatar help you if you threaten his friends, especially Frodo.

:cool:

Inferno
07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Bryan Mills (Taken) - Takes down massive crime ring on his own using every method possible in order to save his daughter. Played by Liam Neeson. What a guy.
Him

and Jason Bourne

Depression Moon
07-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I want to hear more from those with female action stars. I can't really think of many myself that were remember-able.

Dreddz
07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Colonel Miles Quatrich (Avatar)
Vasquez (Aliens)
Hicks (Aliens)
Captain Rhodes (Day of the Dead)
Peter (Dawn of the Dead)

I want to hear more from those with female action stars. I can't really think of many myself that were remember-able.
Watch Aliens. You have two great females action stars in that film. Ripley and Vasquez.

Depression Moon
07-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I've seen a tiny bit of Aliens I remember a bald-headed chick. Wasn't Samus Aran inspired by that character? Also noticed Ripley and Ridley sound alike.

Dreddz
07-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I've seen a tiny bit of Aliens I remember a bald-headed chick.
That sounds like you watched Alien 3. This is Aliens. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49OZ0M_0fhg&feature=related)

Madame Adequate
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Also watch Terminator 2, Sarah Connor is dangerously badass.

fire_of_avalon
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Sarah Connor, anyone? Also Beatrix Kiddo, Cherry Darling, Leeloo, Gail (Rosario Dawson in Sin City), and last but definitely not least Coffy?

Just acquiescing to Moon's request. :D

Madame Adequate
07-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Honorable mention: Samwise Gamgee. No issue starting a fight with him, but Eru Ilúvatar help you if you threaten his friends, especially Frodo.

Oh, and to add to this, as far as I know he's just about the only being in the entire universe who doesn't even need to make an effort to resist the Ring's power. He just shrugs it right off, and he was ready to walk to Mount Doom completely alone in order to destroy it.

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2010, 03:10 AM

Oh, and to add to this, as far as I know he's just about the only being in the entire universe who doesn't even need to make an effort to resist the Ring's power. He just shrugs it right off, and he was ready to walk to Mount Doom completely alone in order to destroy it.
Tom Bombadil?

Depression Moon
07-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Sarah Connor, anyone? Also Beatrix Kiddo, Cherry Darling, Leeloo, Gail (Rosario Dawson in Sin City), and last but definitely not least Coffy?

Just acquiescing to Moon's request. :D

Oh yeah everybody's seen Terminator 2. Sarah never made me think of badass though. The only one that I could clearly imagine in my head was Beatrix though. When I was originally asking about the females I was looking more as to women in lead roles in action films.

Who are these Cherry, Leeloo, Gail, and Coffy?

Madame Adequate
07-15-2010, 03:34 AM

Tom Bombadil?

Oh, right. Still, one of the two isn't bad, and anyway Tom wasn't in the movie :p

Shorty
07-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Damn it, foa, I have to agree with most of what you listed. I love Gail, but she didn't make the top five.

Sarah Conner was the first character I thought of when reading the thread title.
Beatrix Kiddo is next, because she is a badass.
John McClane. Come on, walking on glass, people.
Trinity. Let's be honest.
Léon the Professional.

Loony BoB
07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
MILF: Should be noted that most other people in the fellowship resisted the "drawing power" of it pretty well, and Samwise only had it for a fleeting moment by comparison to those who carried it for such a long time. I'm fairly certain that in the short time that Sam had it, Frodo and Bilbo alike were also not that bothered by the ring at the time. It took a while before it took hold of them.

Shiny
07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
1. Lee - Enter the Dragon (and pretty much every movie Bruce Lee was in ever)
2. John McClane - Die Hard saga
3. Ting - Ong-bak
4. Ash - Evil Dead trilogy
5. Leon - The Professional

1. Beatrix Kiddo a.k.a. "The Bride" - Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
2. Trinity - The Matrix trilogy
3. Leeloo Dallas - The Fifth Element
4. Miho - Sin City
5. Alice - Resident Evil saga

blackmage_nuke
07-15-2010, 03:52 PM
MILF: Should be noted that most other people in the fellowship resisted the "drawing power" of it pretty well, and Samwise only had it for a fleeting moment by comparison to those who carried it for such a long time. I'm fairly certain that in the short time that Sam had it, Frodo and Bilbo alike were also not that bothered by the ring at the time. It took a while before it took hold of them.

Quite true, infact Frodo was rather intent on giving it to Gandalf and Galadriel near the begining.

Depression Moon
07-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Oh now I remember that girl, but she didn't do much action-wise in the movie did she?

Madame Adequate
07-15-2010, 04:45 PM
The only people who don't have to fight the Ring's temptation are those who it does not bother trying to tempt, quite simply. Even Gandalf and Galadriel have moments of difficulty when Frodo offers them the Ring - and that had more to do with the Ring knowing how much havoc could be wreaked if it ensnared either of them than it had to do with Frodo's strength. By the time it came into Sam's possession it had a huge incentive to mess with anyone at all, because it was drawing close to destruction. My point isn't that Sam was alone in resisting, my point is that he was alone in making resistance look completely and utterly effortless.

blackmage_nuke
07-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Oh now I remember that girl, but she didn't do much action-wise in the movie did she?

That's where you'd be wrong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJB5Rqc1m0Y#t=3m10s)

Loony BoB
07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
My point isn't that Sam was alone in resisting, my point is that he was alone in making resistance look completely and utterly effortless.
And my point is that it is impossible to say that he would do it better than anyone else in his position. The ring works slowly, not quickly, when it comes to hobbits in particular. If Sam had worn the ring all that time and another hobbit had only just at the last moment been given it, who is to say that Frodo, Merry or Pippin would not have done exactly the same thing? I know Sam did good and all, but saying he is unique for doing what he did is simplifying things a lot as he was the only individual in all of middle earth who had the opportunity. Take any other hobbit (bar those who have been 'infected' by the ring over a long period of time) and they may have done the same. Even Gandalf, for all we know, may have resisted for at least a day or two - long enough. I'm sure some good men could have resisted, too, and elves, and possibly even dwarves. :p But we'll never know because we only had one person in that situation for the books.

Goldenboko
07-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Liam Neeson was such a badass in that movie. I can go on about the epic-ness of his quotes, such as after he killed everyone in the room after he was tied up and was suppose to be executed, "It, it was just business, it wasn't personal." "It was all personal to me!" *gunshot*. I think what really made him badass was most of the time he was cool, calm, and collected, so when he did finally start yelling (silly French agent) you knew he meant business.

fire_of_avalon
07-16-2010, 03:30 AM
Omg you people don't understand the character of Samwise. The reason he was able to resist the ring is because he already knew of something much more powerful than the ring; friendship, love, and loyalty. Part of the draw of the ring is the belief that the ring is the ultimate powerful force in the world.

Hell, based on that the damned thing tempted people who never even touched it (Boromir?)

Sam Gamgee is probably the baddest of asses.

Bunny
07-16-2010, 03:53 AM
I ain't droppin' no eaves sir!

NorthernChaosGod
07-16-2010, 03:53 AM
Fuck you guys, Tom Bombadil is the :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

blackmage_nuke
07-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Sure the fact he was able to resist the ring is because of love friendship etc but what we're saying is the fact he did it more easily than anyone else was because he was a hobbit and because he only had it for a day.

That said im not disputing that he's the biggest badass of the series im just saying that ring resistance isnt what makes him most badass.

Loony BoB
07-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Omg you people don't understand the character of Samwise. The reason he was able to resist the ring is because he already knew of something much more powerful than the ring; friendship, love, and loyalty. Part of the draw of the ring is the belief that the ring is the ultimate powerful force in the world.

Hell, based on that the damned thing tempted people who never even touched it (Boromir?)

It was pretty clear that Boromir was the weakest of the fellowship when it came to willpower, this would be the main reason that the ring put some kind of focus on him when it came to using it's power. Also, before Boromir had even seen the ring, he was tempted to make use of it at the discussions they had. It was like a nuclear bomb - there would always be those who wish to wield it's power.

Certainly men were far more susceptable, as were dwarves, when it came to surrendering themselves to the powers of the rings, let alone the one ring, but hobbits were known to be able to resist it's powers for many years. I would say that if Samwise were carrying the ring for as long as Bilbo or Frodo then there is every chance he would have been 'corrupted' by it.

So yeah, pretty much what nuke just said. :p Tolkien does indeed sing the praises of Sam and deservedly so, but despite this I wouldn't say he was the toughest of the toughest. Also, I reckon we're best to exclude fantasy world characters because let's face it, every fantasy universe has someone who is "tougher than all others ever were", which is kind of crap. Personally I put Aragorn down as the toughest mofo out there when it comes to LotR, but maybe I'm biased towards the idea of a king that would lead his army to death. Alternatively, you could say that the eagles were pretty tough, too... and yeah, Tom Bombadil, proper legend.

Breine
07-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Apart from those already mentioned, some that come to mind right now are:

Foxy Brown
Lara Croft
The Women of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"
Jessica Yang (Police Story 3: Super Cop)
Mei (House of Flying Daggers)

Thankfully, there are many tough female characters out there!

black orb
07-16-2010, 05:48 PM
>>> Norbit..:luca:

fire_of_avalon
07-17-2010, 03:10 AM

It was pretty clear that Boromir was the weakest of the fellowship when it came to willpower, this would be the main reason that the ring put some kind of focus on him when it came to using it's power. Also, before Boromir had even seen the ring, he was tempted to make use of it at the discussions they had. It was like a nuclear bomb - there would always be those who wish to wield it's power.

Certainly men were far more susceptable, as were dwarves, when it came to surrendering themselves to the powers of the rings, let alone the one ring, but hobbits were known to be able to resist it's powers for many years. I would say that if Samwise were carrying the ring for as long as Bilbo or Frodo then there is every chance he would have been 'corrupted' by it.

So yeah, pretty much what nuke just said. :p Tolkien does indeed sing the praises of Sam and deservedly so, but despite this I wouldn't say he was the toughest of the toughest. Also, I reckon we're best to exclude fantasy world characters because let's face it, every fantasy universe has someone who is "tougher than all others ever were", which is kind of crap. Personally I put Aragorn down as the toughest mofo out there when it comes to LotR, but maybe I'm biased towards the idea of a king that would lead his army to death. Alternatively, you could say that the eagles were pretty tough, too... and yeah, Tom Bombadil, proper legend.
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh Aragorn fanboy ;p

LotR's toughest of the tough is a toss up between Sam and Eowyn. Eowyn killed a freaking Witch King.

Shiny
07-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Foxy Brown

Oh crap, how could I forget about her? Well in that case, should add Shaft to the list too!

Loony BoB
07-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Now Éowyn, yeah, she was pretty badass. I'll definitely give you that.

I'm a Strider fanboy, yeah, but only from the books. While Viggo was awesome and all, I liked my imagining of the guy better. But Glorfindel was the coolest. For some reason. Okay, I'll stop getting sidetracked in the thread now ;_;

G13
07-17-2010, 01:28 PM
smurf you guys, Tom Bombadil is the :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Hell yeah! To be as old as he is and snatch up a tasty morsel such as Goldberry is badass in itself. Truly he is an inspiration to us all.

Aragorn is pretty badass, yeah, but it's pretty smurfing easy to be a badass when you're, y'know, not in Mordor and the worst thing you've had to deal with is the choice of "Do I want the brunette or the blonde?"

Anyways, here's my picks.

Riddick - Short for Riddickulously Awesome. I can't really take Vin Diesel seriously with his strange half manly-man half sissy voice, or the fact that his tough guy role is a bit over the top at times, but Riddick is badass in it's purest form.

James Bond - For me it'd be when played by Sean Connery or Daniel Craig. Brosnan blew. I mean he got the job done, but I can't get Mrs. Doubtfire out of my mind when watching him.

Frank Martin - Jason Statham. Pretty much any character Statham plays is badass.

Star Wars from here on out. :monster:

Darth Vader - Played by David Prowse in body, James Earl Jones in voice, and at the very, very end when Hayden Christensen quit getting as much whine time. Before Anakin was planned out. Maybe even pre-suit Vader. Any way you slice it Vader is the ultimate Sith.

Boba Fett - Jeremy Bulloch. No lines are needed for one of the most badass mothas the galaxy has ever seen.

And a special mention to Quinlan Vos ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Quinlan_Vos). Technically he isn't in any of the movies but he was planned to be, and he's mentioned, so it's good enough for me.

Rase
07-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Boris the Bullet Dodger (Snatch): Dude took a car accident, getting hit head on by a car, and an entire magazine from a Desert Eagle before going down. Come on.

EDIT: How the hell could I forget Snatch's other tough guy, Mickey. Irish bare knuckle boxer with a penchant for getting the tar beat out of him before knocking out his opponent with a well-place punch? Hell yes.

Loony BoB
07-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Ahaha, good call. :D

Shiny
07-18-2010, 01:36 AM
People who said Batman is a tough guy: This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFDdgRj3nE)

People who said James Bond is a tough guy: This (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/26/matt-damon-bill-kristol-a_n_161036.html)

Caution: Some profanity in the video.

G13
07-18-2010, 02:12 AM
People who said James Bond is a tough guy: This (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/26/matt-damon-bill-kristol-a_n_161036.html)

"Tough guy" and "asshole" are synonymous. Because he a "misogynist sociopath" does that make him any less of a tough guy?

Madame Adequate
07-18-2010, 02:41 AM
People who said Batman is a tough guy: This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFFDdgRj3nE)

Actually Batman has repeatedly gone up against corrupt police commissioners and also helped Superman kick Lex Luthor out of the Presidency.

Of course, that's not to mention that in a world with The Joker, industrialists look pretty small-time.

Also :monster:

Depression Moon
07-18-2010, 03:04 AM
man your new sig and av are weird.

Shiny
07-18-2010, 04:15 PM

"Tough guy" and "asshole" are synonymous.
Oh definitely! I just wanted an excuse to post both of those because I find them hilarious. :shiny:

G13
07-19-2010, 04:47 AM
I can dig that. :D