PDA

View Full Version : Solanin - Graphic Novel

Rye
07-15-2010, 01:23 AM
I like manga, but I wouldn't call myself a fanatic by any means, since I've never found a manga that I really adored. That's changed.

Solanin is the best graphic novel I've ever read. I'm trying to read it really slowly so I don't finish it too fast. I'm about 3/4th through and I'm obsessed. It's a serious tear-jerker.

It's become so loved in Japan that a live-action move just came out in April. It looks fantastic, and the single for it, performed by Asian Kung-Fu Generation, is AMAZING!!!

YouTube - Trailer - Solanin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So94YkJK1CQ)
(Warning: Spoilers!!!)

Oh my god, I can't wait until there are english sub torrents for this movie. I need to watch it immediately!

Hythloday
07-15-2010, 01:27 AM
The only thing I understood about that trailer was that they are asian.

Momiji
07-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Whoa, what a coincidence! I was planning on starting to read this tonight.

I'll give my opinions on it if I do. :D

Shlup
07-15-2010, 01:39 AM
It's 86% done downloading. Gonna convert it for my Nook when it's done.

The recommended mangas from Manga Updates for people who like Solanin are some of my favorites (including MARS, my very favoritist manga) so I am quite excited to read it.

Also, a review said it's about the quarter-life crisis, which is something I know a fucklot about, both from having one and BJ having, like, five.

Madame Adequate
07-15-2010, 01:50 AM
BJ - man with 1 1/4 lives.

Rye
07-15-2010, 05:17 AM
I absolutely loved how it ended. I don't think it could have ended in a way that was more realistic and satisfying. Best graphic novel I've ever read. ♥

Shlup
07-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Objective complete: Solanin has been converted for my Nook. :omghey:

charliepanayi
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Solanin is brilliant, one of the best manga I've ever read. It's especially great if you've ever been in that post-university 'what do I do with my life' state.

Momiji
07-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Just finished it. It was pretty incredible. I'm thinking about ordering a copy for my collection!

Rye
07-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Best manga illustrations I've ever seen!

DK
07-18-2010, 06:03 PM
I read it about a year ago, it was pretty interesting but not one of the best things i've ever read. Though sometimes when I read/watch something similar I always think about the part where Taneda is riding his moped crying his eyes out then splatters himself all over the road, so I guess it's pretty memorable at least. Might give the live-action a watch if I've got nothing better to do one day

Shlup
07-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Adorable illustration, fabulous characters, interesting story... story not super-well executed. Mostly good stuff.