PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded restart

Magixion
07-15-2010, 04:30 AM
So.. I recently got one of the slick new 360 S's, but did not want to pay the extra $30 for the data transfer cable. The problem with this is, a lot of my saved games from my old 360 (which got the RROD) are on my old hard drive. Now, I have the pleasure (or in this case, chore) of going through and playing most of these games again to get to my previous save spots. One game in particular that I am dreading is FFXIII. I want to finish the game, but do I have the will power to get back to where I was? On my old 360, I was RIGHT before where the open world stuff happens. So now I get to follow that boring old line for another 14 hours to get there.

How many of you guys have had events happen where you have lost old saves and had to restart? Share your experiences!

~*~Celes~*~
07-15-2010, 04:36 AM
When I play the Sims 2, if someone messages me that I've been waiting to talk to for a particular reason, I always minimize the game. I end up not getting back to the game for quite some time, and because my computer is a temperamental old man, it ends up essentially freezing the game up so it never reloads, thus, I have to go back through the toddler stage ALL OVER AGAIN do you understand how much of a PAIN the toddler stage is? ;-;

Yue Kitsune
07-15-2010, 04:53 AM
i get distracted easily, so whenever i get a new game i drop whatever game i was playing before hand and move on. half the time when i go back to the earlier game i've forgoten what i was supposed to do or found out something that i missed so i start over.

up next on my restart list is either Valkyrie Profile, i think i was stuck doing something on hard mode XD, or Star Ocean, no idea were i was heading or why plus i want to see who else i can get on my team.

for the record, i've had both those for at least a year or more and still havn't beaten either. just shows how distracted i get, lol

Slothy
07-15-2010, 11:13 AM
So now I get to follow that boring old line for another 14 hours to get there.

It's no less boring after that if you ask me.

I did lose all of my saves when my PS3 died a few months back. One thing I gave up on was FFXIII. I had been in Chapter 11 and hated it so I saw no point in going on. When the part everyone claims is good still didn't assuage my hatred then what was the point.

I have had to restart a lot of games though that I was in the midst of. I'm gradually picking away at Valkyria Chronicles again, restarted Demon's Souls (ironically since I started with a better beginning class and was better at the game now I got to where I had been before in about two hours), and I need to restart Vagrant Story as well. I've very much been planning on playing it again, but got pretty busy with a new job the last couple of weeks. I hope to make the time this weekend.

Mirage
07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Why didn't you back up your games to like an USB stick, OP?

Proxy
07-15-2010, 02:16 PM
As soon as I saw those new 360's i nearly shat. They are beautiful looking pieces of machinery.

Show us please!
Pics or it didn't happen

Bolivar
07-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I lost my brother's save of Mega Man Legends 2, so I powered back to where he was. Ironically it only took about 2 hours after skipping all of the cutscenes.

Dreddz
07-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Kind of had a similar problem as Vivi22. My PS3 didn't die but the HDD got corrupted and I lost all my saves. Although this was in mid 2008 so I didn't have too many games that I cared for on my PS3. What really pissed me off though was that I had literally just bought MGS4 when this happened and had to wait until I had a new HDD before I could start playing it.

Fortunately I haven't had to restart games all that often. Except when I lost my PS2 memory card while playing Ico and had to power through the game all at once. Fortunately that is one of those games where, once you know what to do, is quite manageable in one sitting.

Drift
07-22-2010, 04:51 PM
you could just use a USB stick copy everything over from your HDD and then transfer it to your new 360s ...ya know jus' saying

Carl the Llama
07-24-2010, 05:02 AM
When playing my first playthrough of FFVIII my brother started playing the game cause it looked "interesting" and ended up saving over my game file... I was half way through disk 3 and had taken time to level all my current characters to a decent level (fighting Malboros) and had gotten the Lionheart and my GF's were mostly maxed out (thanks to the cactuars).since then I decided that I would save to 2 different slots just in case he did it again.

I also stopped playing Grandia II for some unknown reason, picked it up at random to show a friend what it was like and completely forgot the reason I had stopped playing in the first place, since then I have always been determined to play a game the whole way through no matter how sucky it was (like Arc: Twilight of Spirit).