PDA

View Full Version : Teach me the ways of Tofu, EyesonFF.

KentaRawr!
07-16-2010, 05:19 PM
So, I have a blob of allegedly firm white stuff.

What do I do with it? o_o Should I cut it up into tiny squares and stir fry it with other ingredients? Should I make tempura out of it? Or maybe I should just plop the whole thing in my mouth!?!?

I'll go with the last one if you guys don't help me. ;-;

Pheesh
07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Put it in some miso soup, then throw that miso soup away, and eat some meat instead.

Old Manus
07-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Give it a knife and some herbs, then make it run through the sewers to the police station and reach the escape helicopter.

KentaRawr!
07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Give it a knife and some herbs, then make it run through the sewers to the police station and reach the escape helicopter.

Let's hypothetically say that I'm a zombie and I want to eat the tofu. Then what do I do?

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Isn't tofu poisonous?

Peegee
07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
omg you has tofu desu put it in sugar water naooooo

http://www.openrice.com/UserPhoto/photo/0/CL/002HJU81B84B1E4C43C688l.jpg

Ginger X10 + Tofu X20

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rWcpIGw4V4w/Sc1EJkSeGHI/AAAAAAAAFDA/8zuu0dS0yf4/s1600/ginger%2Bmilk.jpg

Ginger X10 + Milk X10 + Egg X10

Do it NAAAAAAOoooooo omg

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/ec/DPCurrySauce.png http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d9/PokemonPop-Tarts.png http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/e4/MarshmallowBuddies.png

YAAAAAAAAY PIKACHU~!

KentaRawr!
07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Sugar water + Tofu + Ginger + Eggs doesn't sound very good. :(

Pheesh
07-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Let's hypothetically say that I'm a zombie and I want to eat the tofu. Then what do I do?

Put it in some miso soup, then throw that miso soup away, and eat some meat instead.

Peegee
07-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Sugar water + Tofu + Ginger + Eggs doesn't sound very good. :(

I DIDN'T INVENT THE FORMULA I JUST CASTED HASTE ON MY READING AND WATCHED FULL METAL ALCHEMIST TO LEARN HOW TO COOK

http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/uploads/1154714444/gallery_36754_5_295441.jpg

KentaRawr!
07-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Isn't tofu poisonous?

No, of course not. It would only be poisonous because of the soy. If I remember right, it was recommended that you boil soy for 10 minutes to make sure it isn't still poisonous. However, tofu is very heavily processed soy. It's perfectly safe. :p

Edit:

Peegee, you're scaring me.

Peegee
07-16-2010, 06:29 PM
HEY KENTAROU DO YOU LIKE GRASS JELLY WITH SUGAR WATER?
http://www.teamdroid.com/jada/01-grass_jelly-2.jpg

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-16-2010, 06:29 PM
No, I'm pretty sure you would die if you ate it.

Peegee
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY BE RIGHT. MY BROTHER HAS A SHIRT WITH A TOFU IRONING CLOTHES ON THE FRONT THOUGH, SO IT'S CUTE! ^_^

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/dmg00x/pokemon/masumishipping.jpg

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE AN EXTENSIVE GARDEN. I SUGGESTED ONE DAY THAT HE GROW SOYBEANS BECAUSE THEY ARE SO TASTY AS EDAMAME. HE TOLD ME THAT UNPROCESSED SOYBEANS ARE TOXIC. SKEPTICAL TO THE END, I DECIDED TO GO ONLINE, WHERE THE ANSWER WOULD BE AT MY FINGERTIPS. I WAS SHOCKED. THERE ARE ACTUALLY SEVERAL SUBSTANCES IN UNPROCESSED SOYBEANS THAT ARE VERY UNHEALTHY FOR YOU INCLUDING PHYTOESTROGENS, ANTIENZYMES, HEMAGGLUTININ, PHYTATES AND GOITROGENS AND A BREAKDOWN OF THE EFFECT THAT EACH OF THESE SUBSTANCES HAS ON THE BODY WILL FOLLOW. FERMENTATION REDUCES OR ELIMINATES MANY OF THESE TOXIC CHEMICALS. FERMENTED SOY PRODUCTS INCLUDE TEMPEH AND MISO; HOWEVER, PROCESSED UNFERMENTED SOY PRODUCTS STILL CONTAIN MANY OF THE HARMFUL INGREDIENTS THAT RAW SOYBEANS HAVE. IN ADDITION, HEXANE IS ONE METHOD FOR SEPARATING OUT THE OIL FROM THE BEAN AND IS A KNOWN CARCINOGEN. MOST OF THE HEXANE IS REMOVED THROUGH DISTILLATION, HOWEVER, SOME RESIDUE REMAINS AND MANUFACTURERS ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE HEXANE AMOUNTS IN THEIR LIST OF INGREDIENTS. ALUMINUM IS HIGH IN SOY BABY FORMULA BECAUSE THE PROCESS OF MAKING SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE INVOLVES GIVING THE SOY BEANS AND ACID WASH IN ALUMINUM TANKS RESULTING IN SOME SOY BASED FORMULAS HAVING UP TO 100 TIMES MORE ALUMINUM THAN IN COW’S MILK.

PHYTOESTROGENS AND GOITROGENS ARE PRESENT IN RAW SOYBEANS IN THE FORM OF ISOFLAVONES. THERE IS SOME CONTROVERSY OVER THE EFFECT THAT THESE NON NUTRIENTS HAVE. SOME SOURCES SAY THAT THESE ESTROGEN MIMICKING PLANT PRODUCTS CAN REDUCE MALE FERTILITY IF EATEN IN LARGE QUANTITIES; ESPECIALLY DURING CHILDHOOD. IN THE JULY 24/08 EDITION OF HUMAN REPRODUCTION, A LEADING HEALTH JOURNAL IN EUROPE, THERE IS AN ARTICLE THAT HAS STUDIED THE EFFECT OF EATING AN AVERAGE OF HALF A SERVING PER DAY OF SOYBEAN PRODUCTS AND FOUND THAT CONSUMPTION LEAD TO A SIGNIFICANT DECREASE IN SPERM COUNT. OTHER SOURCES INDICATE THAT THIS EFFECT IS MINIMAL TO NON EXISTENT AND IN ADDITION, THE SMALL AMOUNT OF PLANT ESTROGEN CAN REDUCE THE INCIDENCE OF PROSTATE CANCER. THESE SAME PHYTOESTROGENS FOUND IN SOY BEANS ALSO DEPRESS THYROID FUNCTION AND MAY CAUSE GOITER IF CONSUMED REGULARLY OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. EVEN PROCESSING DOESN’T DENATURE PHYTOESTROGENS.

ANTIENZYMES, SPECIFICALLY, A TRIPSIN ANTAGONIST IS ONE OF THE MOST TROUBLESOME ELEMENTS IN THE RAW SOYBEAN. TRIPSIN IS REQUIRED BY THE SMALL INTESTINE TO DIGEST PROTEIN. WITHOUT IT, THE PANCREAS HAVE TO WORK OVERTIME TO ALLOW PROTEIN TO MOVE THROUGH THE DIGESTION PROCESS. RAW SOY FLOUR IS KNOWN TO CAUSE PANCREATIC CANCER IN RATS. TRIPSIN ALSO INTERFERES WITH THE UPTAKE OF THE PROTEIN THAT NATURALLY OCCURS IN THE SOYBEAN, DEFEATING ITS OWN PURPOSE IN VEGAN DIETS. THERE REALLY ISN’T ANY CONTROVERSY OVER THIS COMPONENT OF THE SOYBEAN, EXCEPT TO SAY THAT HIGH HEAT AND FERMENTATION TAKE CARE OF A LOT OF THE TRIPSIN ANTAGONIST, BUT NOT ALL. IN ADDITION SOY MILK AND BABY FORMULA STILL CONTAIN SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF TRIPSIN ANTAGONIST AND MANUFACTURERS DO NOT HAVE TO DISCLOSE THE ANTITRIPSIN CONCENTRATION ON THEIR INGREDIENT LABELS.

HEMAGGLUTININ OR PHYTOHEMAGGLUTININ IS FOUND IN SOYBEANS AND MANY OTHER BEANS INCLUDING RED AND WHITE KIDNEY BEANS, FAVA BEANS AND IN SOME GREEN BEANS. THIS SUBSTANCE BINDS RED BLOOD CELLS (AND SOME WHITE BLOOD CELLS) INTO CLUMPS THAT CAN TURN INTO BLOOD CLOTS. TOFU CONTAINS REDUCED AMOUNTS – IT ISN’T FERMENTED, WHILE FERMENTATION DENATURES HEMAGGLUTININS.

SOYBEANS ARE VERY HIGH IN PHYTATES, CHEMICALS THAT PREVENT THE UPTAKE OF CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM, IRON AND ZINC BY THE BODY. IF THE DIET ISN’T ADEQUATELY SUPPLEMENTED WITH FOODS HIGH IN THESE SUBSTANCES, A DIET HIGH IN SOY COULD PUT YOU AT RISK FOR SEVERE MINERAL DEFICIENCY. FERMENTED PRODUCTS CONTAIN LESS PHYTATES, BUT TOFU HAS THE SAME AMOUNT AS IN THE UNPROCESSED BEAN. IN ADDITION, SOY MILK HAS HIGH AMOUNTS OF PHYTATES. THE PROCESS OF MAKING SOY MILK, WHILE WE ARE ON THE SUBJECT, REMOVES THE AMINO ACIDS LYSINE AND CYSTINE AND DENATURES THE PROTEINS THAT NATURALLY OCCUR, MAKING ANY PROTEIN REMAINING IN THE SOY MILK TO BE VIRTUALLY UNDIGESTIBLE.

LASTLY, A NOTE SHOULD BE MADE ABOUT PESTICIDES AND HERBICIDES. SOY BEANS ARE A HUGE CASH CROP IN THE UNITED STATES; MOST HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS USE SOY BEAN OIL AS THEIR BASE. THESE PESTICIDES AND HERBICIDES REMAIN IN SOY PRODUCTS AFTER PROCESSING. IF I WERE FEEDING MY FAMILY, I WOULD GO WITH ORGANIC TOFU. AS WITH ALL FOOD PRODUCTS, READ YOUR INGREDIENT LABELS AND CONSUME IN MODERATION.

NeoCracker
07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
...What the hell is wrong with you? XD

Peegee
07-16-2010, 07:04 PM
...What the hell is wrong with you? XD

THERE ARE ACTUALLY SEVERAL SUBSTANCES IN UNPROCESSED SOYBEANS THAT ARE VERY UNHEALTHY FOR YOU INCLUDING PHYTOESTROGENS, ANTIENZYMES, HEMAGGLUTININ, PHYTATES AND GOITROGENS AND A BREAKDOWN OF THE EFFECT THAT EACH OF THESE SUBSTANCES HAS ON THE BODY WILL FOLLOW

rubah
07-16-2010, 10:17 PM
peegies drank the soy-aid

Peegee
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
peegies drank the soy-aid

Just because I'm Canadian doesn't mean I eat Tofu. Have you ever considered that maybe tofu Asian the Allies?

rubah
07-16-2010, 10:40 PM
*Desuslap*

Tavrobel
07-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Deep fry it, stick it in some soy sauce. Consume until fat.

It'll take a while.

Meat Puppet
07-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Strain it and kill the juice.

Breine
07-17-2010, 12:09 AM
It's pretty good if you just fry it on a pan with some vegetables and such (maybe with some chili, garlic and/or ginger to give it some extra flavour).

You can also put it in soup, but there are many different kinds of tofu for different kinds of dishes, so you should probably just read about the different kinds on the interwebz (maybe wikipedia or something, idk) to learn a bit more about it.

If you want to marinate it, you should let it dry (cut it into pieces and put it on a piece of cloth or something). Then soak it in some marinade of your own choice, and fry it on a pan.

This page (http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros) has some tips.

Cuchulainn
07-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I'll teach you all you need to know;

Stay the fuck away from it and eat proper food.

Christmas
07-17-2010, 03:53 AM
http://www.absolutechinatours.com/UploadFiles/ImageBase/7051252d85b0d322349bf7dd%5B1%5D.jpg

STINKY TOFU

Originated in ancient China, stinky tofu is made and consumed in different ways varied from China to the world, and the same is true of the two types of fried Stinky tofu in Changsha and Shaoxing, which are the most famous and classic in China. Stinky tofu out of Fire-fiend Palace representing this delicacy in Changsha, Mao Zedong and Zhu Rongji had been there and highly praised it, and the American journal “food” had coverage on the scene. Fire-fiend Palace selects excellent soybeans and makes them into bean curds, then mix with the prepared brine made from winter bamboo-shoots, black mushrooms and spirit that has been fermenting for about six months, eventually let it sit outside for several hours until it becomes putrid, moldy, and grey colored. Having a strong odor before cooking, it can be deep fried and served with hot sauce and pickled cabbage. Fried stinky tofu in Shaoxing is cut into bite-size cubes for cooking, marinating for six hours in summer and two days in winter with moldy peduncle. Then clean by the water, dry in the air, and pour into the cauldron. When it turns golden, it can be fished from the boiling cooking oil in the cauldron. The stinky tofu sold in Tianjin is mostly made in Nanjing style, with a mild aroma.

http://www.absolutechinatours.com/UploadFiles/ImageBase/463023fb7f7fd79e9f514666%5B1%5D.jpg

How it got the name

It was said that in Kangxi Emperor of Stinky tofuQing Dynasty, a scholar named Wang Zhihe failed in the imperial examination, and he idled in the inn, intending to go back home. However, he had no money back, so he determined to stay in the city and tried the exam again. It was a long term from the next exam, so he had no choice but to earn his life in the city. Born in a poor family, as his father opened a tofu shop in his hometown, he had begun to learn how to make tofu when he was young. Therefore, he rented a house to make bean curd by grinding soybean, then hawked along the street. In one summer, some remaining tofu that had not been sold out was going bad. When he was worried about the lost, an idea occurred to him. He cut the bean curd into pieces, found a jar and preserved by salting it. To his surprise, when he opened it several days later, a strong smell came out. He tasted it boldly, it was actually good. Since then, stinky tofu had been widely spread.

Cooking methods

It is commonly fried, until it is light and airy in its bubbles. It is a popular snack in China, and you can find it at the night markets or roadside stands.

It can also be eaten steamed, cold, simmered in a stew or chopped and used as normal tofu in a stir-fry. It is always accompanied by hot pepper sauce.

Mo-Nercy
07-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Grandma Tofu (Mapo Tofu)

Heat up a wok/pan - quickly cook through some diced ground beef. Mix in some chilli paste. Chuck in some roughly diced tofu, a cup of chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar and bring the whole mixture to a boil before letting it simmer for a few minutes until the tofu has absorbed the flavors of the sauce. Thicken the mixture with a bit of cornstarch and serve. Add some chopped spring onions to the top for prettiness.

http://janetching.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/mapo-tofu-01.jpg

Usagi
07-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Marinating tofu and stir frying it is always good.

It's quite handy to have some in various marinades (in tupperwares or some such) on hand for easy availability and cooking, if it's something you think you might prepare on a somewhat regular basis.

I prefer the extra firm stuff, because it actually feels like you're eating something, and it's better able to withstand being tossed around in the cooking process.

Take the block and cut it into "sheets" about an half and inch thick (give or take, its not an exact science), and put them on a stack of paper towels or tea towels. Then put a stack of your paper and/or tea towels on top. From there, put a cooking sheet on top of it, and weigh it down with something heavy. Canned goods from the pantry work well.

Leave it be for about 15-30 mins, depending on how "wet" it was to begin with. This will not only dry it, but wring out any possible drop of flavorless water to make more room for something more palatable. Cut into cubes and put it in something non-reactive with your favorite marinade.

From there you can stir fry it, bread it and deep/pan/tempura fry it, sautee it, grill it on kabobs, etc.

Momiji
07-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Grandma Tofu (Mapo Tofu)

Heat up a wok/pan - quickly cook through some diced ground beef. Mix in some chilli paste. Chuck in some roughly diced tofu, a cup of chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar and bring the whole mixture to a boil before letting it simmer for a few minutes until the tofu has absorbed the flavors of the sauce. Thicken the mixture with a bit of cornstarch and serve. Add some chopped spring onions to the top for prettiness.

http://janetching.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/mapo-tofu-01.jpg

Oh man, that looks wonderful. I want some. :(

Psychotic
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
So, I have a blob of allegedly firm white stuff.

What do I do with it? o_o Wipe it in a tissue like a normal guy you pervert, Jesus Christ.

Shlup
07-24-2010, 01:57 AM
I like to fry it in spicy Thai peanut sauce.

Bastian
07-25-2010, 03:19 AM
While I may be a vegetarian, I have never been able to stand tofu. It's too rubbery and bland. And yes, every time I tell anyone that who claims to be a great cook, they say: "well, you just haven't had it prepared for you correctly!" and then eventually force me to eat THEIR version of tofu and it's HORRIBLE!

I HATE THE STUFF!

However, I do like a nice fake chicken nugget made of soy protein or similar.

KentaRawr!
07-25-2010, 03:58 AM
I guess I'm too new to tofu, but if it's bland, wouldn't that just mean it hasn't been flavored? I mean, sure, I haven't made anything that tastes good out of tofu, but it at least wasn't bland. It had a very distinctive taste.

It tasted like junk. :3