PDA

View Full Version : Her Eyes Symbol?

Serapy
07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5193/edeay.jpg

Edea's eye. Can someone guess what does her pupil resemble to?

It looks like 'inverted' Squall to me, which makes sense considering the situation at the time as this photo took place right after when an icicle's struck against Squall.

And during Squall's dream, after the final battle, this shot repeats itself when Rinoa is seen leaving Squall at the dance hall.

So, what does all this mean? I think that the eye represents a sign of Squall when he's really down. I'm not sure what's the right word to use...

rubah
07-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Honestly?

http://themagicofbelieving.tripod.com/cards/thumbnails/600x450/ace_spades.jpg

Serapy
07-18-2010, 08:37 PM
That image is down, I missed it. Spades? That's another possibility, because of this:

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/6282/clownd.jpg

And who organised the parade? Ultimecia. So, she might as well have had brought up the idea of clowns being displayed on da clock tower.

Clowns deal with cards, right? Spades? Edea's eyes represent Spades... I've looked up the meaning of Spades and I get this:

a sturdy hand shovel that can be pushed into the earth with the foot.

Notice anything? Identical? Analogy? No? Okay... Edea pushes her icicle right into Squall's chest... and then she presents us a victory with SPADES. That's the analogy.

This is really interesting.

nik0tine
07-18-2010, 08:58 PM
holy fucking :bou::bou::bou::bou:

Lawr
07-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Simply put, I made this thread because I was bored.

:cool: (story bro.)

Serapy
07-18-2010, 09:16 PM
No, no. I'm really excited about this. Serious too. :kaohappy:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3947/dreamw.jpg

That SPADES thing is happening again, why? Was Squall thinking along the lines of "Is my Rinoa dying..?" and then the symbolism of Rinoa being attacked (SPADES) shows up. Seconds later, you see her army helmet's glass break. But that didn't really happen, fortunately.

It's not like her eye's appeared in Squall's flashback (or dream) for no reason. Go figure.

MJN SEIFER
07-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I thought it was Rinoa's eye judging from the angle, "Eyes on Me", and the fact that whoever's eye it is appears to be about to cry. Rinoa's the only one who would, Edea is evil during this scene, and we all know Irvine and Seifer, aren't going to be too bothered either.

Serapy
07-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Now, thinking about it... there seems to be some connection regarding what happened and the SPADES thing. For example:

-) An icicle has struck Squall. (You would think that it will kill him because the icicle was so huge that he had no chance of surviving.)

+) He's miraculously survived the next day since his injury.

-) Squall sees the glass of Rinoa's helmet break in space. (You would think that it will kill her because there's no oxygen in space.)

+) She looks fine in the forthcoming scene.

I think the SPADES symbolism is connected with what happened (icicle and glass break).

Is this SPADES thing not real? I mean, SPADES is part of a card game and it's not real. It's just a game. If it's not real, then nobody can die from any card (including SPADES). Would that explain why Squall and Rinoa didn't die?

So far, we have two possibilities here; inverted Squall and SPADES...

McLovin'
07-18-2010, 10:18 PM
I see an upside down phallus.

Serapy
07-18-2010, 10:32 PM
But why would anybody want to know about the inner side of Cid... ? Because that phallus doesn't look right....

Clo
07-18-2010, 11:09 PM
It is a spade-thingy. Because spade-thingies look cool in eyeballs. That is all.

ಠ_ಠ

Serapy
07-18-2010, 11:51 PM
It is a spade-thingy. Because spade-thingies look cool in eyeballs. That is all.

ಠ_ಠ

So, this SPADE thing appears in Squall's flashback at the end of the game because it was cool to see? Does Squall have to resort to seeing cool things to help himself feel better?

Hmmm...

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn32/2hiphop4u/fine.jpg

Clo
07-18-2010, 11:53 PM

ಠ_ಠ

So, this SPADE thing appears in Squall's flashback at the end of the game because it was cool to see? Does Squall have to restort to seeing cool things to help himself feel better?

Hmmm...

Squall doesn't have to "restort" to seeing anything. I'm saying it doesn't mean anything. As my SUBJECTIVE INTERPRETATION.

Serapy
07-19-2010, 12:36 AM

ಠ_ಠ

So, this SPADE thing appears in Squall's flashback at the end of the game because it was cool to see? Does Squall have to restort to seeing cool things to help himself feel better?

Hmmm...

Squall doesn't have to "restort" to seeing anything. I'm saying it doesn't mean anything. As my SUBJECTIVE INTERPRETATION.

I didn't get that. So, please elaborate your "SUBJETIVE INTERPRETATION".
I highly doubt that the eye appeared in Squall's dream just because it was cool to see, and plus this was in the ending...

McLovin'
07-19-2010, 02:58 AM
Yes why would Square ever put something COOL in their FMV? It had to mean something. You can't just let it go that the programmers were given a scenario to design and designed it as they saw fit to make a cool and entertaining FMV?!

Serapy
07-19-2010, 04:22 AM
That FMV was neither cool or entertaining, though. It was emotional. The whole point of the FMV was supposed to make you feel sad.
Think about it. At first, you would think Squall is dying for good in that FMV and then you're all happy 'cause he's survived a few scenes later. That was what SquareSoft wanted to happen. So, if they wanted to make you feel sad, they wouldn't be showing off stuff that serves no purpose. There is no purpose in being cooll...

Clo
07-19-2010, 04:44 AM
The writers/designers at Square Enix are not Virginia Woolf and Hemingway. They're sitting there going, "Hey, should we make Edea's look like spades?" "Yeah we should that will look totally cool!"

There are other parts of the plot you CAN analyze. But not this, because this makes no sense. You need to argue concepts that make sense.

McLovin'
07-19-2010, 06:03 AM
That FMV was neither cool or entertaining, though. It was emotional. The whole point of the FMV was supposed to make you feel sad.
Think about it. At first, you would think Squall is dying for good in that FMV and then you're all happy 'cause he's survived a few scenes later. That was what SquareSoft wanted to happen. So, if they wanted to make you feel sad, they wouldn't be showing off stuff that serves no purpose. There is no purpose in being cooll...

Squall got stabbed by a freakin icicle. I think that constitutes as COOL and ENTERTAINING. Sure and SAD if you're that much of a pansy. There's no purpose in being cool!? They make these FMV's to be cool because it's not like they randomly say "oh let's just make another full motion video, no problem!" It was 1998 when they made this! When they make a FMV they want it to be as entertaining as possible. Why did Edea have spades for pupils? Probably because the programmers were told she was a sorceress so make her look evil and non-humanish. And they did from her magic hair, earrings, white pale skin, FREAKIN CLAWS, and those purple veins around her eyes.

Eaglegun
07-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Perhaps it means that she wants to play cards. I mean everyone else seems to play Triple Triad at inappropriate moments.

Iceglow
07-19-2010, 08:50 AM

I love how Serapy uses this thread as an excuse to reveal his true identity :bigsmile:

Christmas
07-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Spade? :bigsmile:

What I saw was something like a nutsack and a.....:(

Loony BoB
07-19-2010, 11:26 AM

I wonder what the meaning behind that would have been.

G13
07-19-2010, 11:45 AM

I wonder what the meaning behind that would have been.

That Edea has got her eyes on the prize. :bigsmile:

Serapy
07-19-2010, 04:27 PM
The writers/designers at Square Enix are not Virginia Woolf and Hemingway. They're sitting there going, "Hey, should we make Edea's look like spades?" "Yeah we should that will look totally cool!"

There are other parts of the plot you CAN analyze. But not this, because this makes no sense. You need to argue concepts that make sense.

This does make sense if you look into it hard enough.

I love how Serapy uses this thread as an excuse to reveal his true identity

Guess you've never heard of the meme...

Clo
07-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Or, y'know, you could go read some actual Woolf and Hemingway, join a book club, explore symbols in literature, take a walk in the park, volunteer at a soup kitchen, have a career, adopt a rescued cat.

You can do ANYTHING besides looking into abstract concepts that have no foundations in concrete evidence.

Lawr
07-19-2010, 07:52 PM

:cool: (story bro.)

Or, y'know, you could go read some actual Woolf and Hemingway, join a book club, explore symbols in literature, take a walk in the park, volunteer at a soup kitchen, have a career, adopt a rescued cat.

You can do ANYTHING besides looking into abstract concepts that have no foundations in concrete evidence.

You're posting in a troll thread, dude.

Y'all bakers toasting in a roll bread.

Jessweeee♪
07-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I think the spades are a sorceress thing. Perhaps at the end it's Rinoa's eye.

MJN SEIFER
07-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the spades are a sorceress thing. Perhaps at the end it's Rinoa's eye.

I still say it's Rinoa's eye BOTH times. Also, I can't see a spade in the eye pictures, where abouts is it?

Serapy
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM

No, thanks. VIII is my hobby, and you're not supposed to change people's hobbies anyway.

I've already had provided evidence in this thread. That eye is evidence. That eye appearing in Squall's dream is evidence. The clowns showing up on the clock tower is evidence. Icicle breaking into Squall's body is evidence. Rinoa's helmet glass breaking is evidence, and the list goes on.

You're just saying that they aren't all evidence because they seem ridiculous to you. You must be that scared to face the truth.

It's like a homophobic thing, people know that they are gay deep inside but they deny the reality. So how do they cure this gay problem? By hating other gay people in general. They truly believe that.
This analogy shows that you can deal with talking/thinking about crazy things privately, but you cannot approve them publicly because they are not socially accepted.

Also, do you realise that VIII is not a straightforward game, right? That it's ambiguous? That it's open to interpretation? All these prove that there's no way to get hardcore evidence that answers a question, proves or disproves a thing fully, etc.

Otherwise, stop confusing evidence with logic.

Oh, the irony...

All of your posts in this thread are not constructive, relevant and helpful, thus making you a troll or spammer. Trolls and spammers use these negative attributes quite often nowadays.

Lawr
07-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Oh, the irony...

All of your posts in this thread are not constructive, relevant and helpful, thus making you a troll or spammer. Trolls and spammers use these negative attributes nowadays. Your choice.

I never said I wasn't a hypocrite. :aimkiss:

By the way, I don't think you know what trolling is. I'm not doing any of that. Spamming maybe, but the trolling is all you here brodawg.

I'm only troubled by this because if I had tried to do the same elsewhere I would (and have) get in trouble for it or at least told to stop. Especially if I admitted I was trying to make people angry (which is what trolling actually is. Take notes!) just because I was bored. Enough of that though.

As a bonus, I'll even be constructive too: In my opinion, the pupil design is there to make Edea look cool to people who are easily impressed!

Serapy
07-20-2010, 01:39 AM
I registered on this site back in 2006. I've been posting similar things like this ever since.

So, if you think that I've been trying to make people angry or annoyed just to fuel my sadistic fantasy for the past 4 years, you must be out of your mind!

Future Esthar
07-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I am not Serapy.

The "spade" also appears on Squall´s eye.

Either he is remembering Ulti or Doctor Odine or someone else.

Serapy
07-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Well, Ultimecia can change one's look...
She changed Edea's look when she was possessed.

What if this Spade thing was there because of Ultimecia? Or was it there because of her own sorceress power (Edea's)?

McLovin'
07-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I am not Serapy.

...nobody said you were *is now suspicious*

MJN SEIFER
07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I am not Serapy.

...nobody said you were *is now suspicious*

Back when Serapy first joined a lot of member thought that Serapy and FE were the same person because Serapy had the exact same Avatar, and sig, as FE. I however knew from the start they were not the same, as both their theories were contradicting each other at the time.

Maybe FE felt he had to remind everyone because he is now posting a similar theory?

And once again - RINOA'S EYE.

Loony BoB
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Maybe the reason there is a shape in her eye is that they are not actually sorceresses but hosts for something much more sinister. And much more spade-like.

Future Esthar
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Watevever it is it appears on Squall´s eye so it didn´t relate to sorceress powers since he is not a sorceress.
Which makes the thing really interesting.
I think there is no equivalent in our world.
I always associated it to a hidden memory of Squall.

Loony BoB
07-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Maybe Squall was a sorceress! It's possible because we are never told that he is not a sorceress.

Future Esthar
07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
He is a knight.
Only women can be sorceresses.
Edea,Rinoa,Quistis and Selphie are the only sorceresses.

ChickenHeart
07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
How are Selphie and Quistis sorceresses?

Serapy
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM

Because they are women.

ChickenHeart
07-21-2010, 08:49 PM

Because they are women.

But not every woman has sorceress powers, do you mean potential sorceresses?

Serapy
07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1B0Fz2PAwmc/So5aCkLXbYI/AAAAAAAAB18/VrZIkj16Y6E/s400/yep.jpg

BardTard
07-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Ultimecia is actually the Card Queen.

champagne supernova
07-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I reckon these theories become progressively more odd. If they are allowed to continue, eventually they'll reach infinite oddness, and the world will collapse. The only recourse we have is to burn all copies of Final Fantasy VIII in a bonfire and erase all memories of it from anyone who ever played it.

On topic, it is possible there is a spade in the eye, but there could be any other things. A penis, a lot of fog, a degenerative eye disorder; the options go on forever.

BarelySeeAtAll
07-29-2010, 08:27 PM

LAWL LAWL LAWWWWWL :p

Guess you've never heard of a joke?

No, thanks. VIII is my hobby, and you're not supposed to change people's hobbies anyway.

I've already had provided evidence in this thread. That eye is evidence. That eye appearing in Squall's dream is evidence. The clowns showing up on the clock tower is evidence. Icicle breaking into Squall's body is evidence. Rinoa's helmet glass breaking is evidence, and the list goes on.

You're just saying that they aren't all evidence because they seem ridiculous to you. You must be that scared to face the truth.

It's like a homophobic thing, people know that they are gay deep inside but they deny the reality. So how do they cure this gay problem? By hating other gay people in general. They truly believe that.
This analogy shows that you can deal with talking/thinking about crazy things privately, but you cannot approve them publicly because they are not socially accepted.

Also, do you realise that VIII is not a straightforward game, right? That it's ambiguous? That it's open to interpretation? All these prove that there's no way to get hardcore evidence that answers a question, proves or disproves a thing fully, etc.

Otherwise, stop confusing evidence with logic.

A) you can have more than one hobby, I strongly suggest you find one. And soon.
B) I'm straight, but actually I feel offended you somehow wound down to using homosexuals as some form of crazy analogy for people denying your rather weak evidence.
C) I personally believe your theory is weak. I'm not bothering to get in to why, I just really think it's bizarre, pointless, out of the blue, and you're deluded.

:jess: Have a nice day, tell me how that hobby comes along.

Future Esthar
07-30-2010, 01:30 AM
You have to recognize there is something similar to a spade reflected on Squall´s eyes.

MJN SEIFER
07-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Can someone upload a picture of the eye with the "spade" circled or something? Because I can't see it. And it's still Rinoa's eye.

Iceglow
07-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Dude, the second image from the ending it's not Rinoa's eye, it's still Edea's. Overlay a translucent copy of the image over the first image of Edea's eye in photoshop. It fits perfectly. It would also explain how Squall ended up back at the orphanage in time to see Ultimecia make Edea a sorceress. He tries to remember Rinoa but ends up remembering Edea and so ends up out of place in time.

Serapy
07-30-2010, 11:27 AM

LAWL LAWL LAWWWWWL :p

Guess you've never heard of a joke?

You think you have witnessed everything such as the entire conversations between me and Iceglow, buddy?

I already have more than one hobby, buddy. Thanks for the advice, though. Want my advice? Stop telling people what to do and stop thinking irrationally. If VIII was truly my only hobby, the only hobby I have, I'd be posting on this forum more than normal. I have an irregular activity on here, sometimes I'll be here for a day, or two, a week or two, and then that's it. I'd be back after a week, month, 2 months, 3 months or so later.

B) I'm straight, but actually I feel offended you somehow wound down to using homosexuals as some form of crazy analogy for people denying your rather weak evidence.

Um, no. Read my post again, buddy. Homophobia and homosexuals are not the same thing.

C) I personally believe your theory is weak. I'm not bothering to get in to why, I just really think it's bizarre, pointless, out of the blue, and you're deluded.

Thanks for such a constructive post without any real explanation as to why you think my theory is bizarre, pointless, out of the blue or whatever. You've said the same thing in my 'Squall and Seifer are brothers' thread. If one defines trolling that one is making off-topic and making rather stupid statements, then you're just a troll. :)

:jess: Have a nice day, tell me how that hobby comes along.

You as well, buddy. :)

Dude, the second image from the ending it's not Rinoa's eye, it's still Edea's. Overlay a translucent copy of the image over the first image of Edea's eye in photoshop. It fits perfectly. It would also explain how Squall ended up back at the orphanage in time to see Ultimecia make Edea a sorceress. He tries to remember Rinoa but ends up remembering Edea and so ends up out of place in time.

For countless times, it's Matron, not Edea.

BarelySeeAtAll
07-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't be childish and immature, what he said was unrelated to your conversation, I don't need to explain myself; everyone else is doing an alright job imo, and if you read what I said in the other thread you'd have notice the buddy comment. Grow up and get a life.

MJN SEIFER
07-30-2010, 01:00 PM

I can match to Rinoa's easier. There is also a tear in the eye as well, and the general view show what Rinoa would have seen. Edea is evil at the time, and not herself. Irvine and Seifer would have no reason to shed any tears here. This further reiterate my "Eyes On Me" theory.

Future Esthar
07-30-2010, 01:15 PM
I am referring to Squall´s eyes at the end of disc 1.

Serapy
07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't be childish and immature, what he said was unrelated to your conversation, I don't need to explain myself; everyone else is doing an alright job imo, and if you read what I said in the other thread you'd have notice the buddy comment. Grow up and get a life.

Oh, the irony. And I don't see how was I being "childish" or "immature". So, please elaborate on your lovely accusations, buddy.

Christmas
08-05-2010, 03:36 PM
BTW, so the conclusion for a spade or nutsack symbol in the eyes mean....? :bigsmile:

champagne supernova
08-05-2010, 04:19 PM
BTW, so the conclusion for a spade or nutsack symbol in the eyes mean....? :bigsmile:

WHY did you have to ask!!! There was sanity for once on this board :D

Serapy
08-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Our conclusion, my dear Christmas, is that Ultimecia has certain qualities of an evil clown, just like Kefka.

Christmas
08-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Maybe the reason there is a shape in her eye is that they are not actually sorceresses but hosts for something much more sinister. And much more spade-like.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090403193322/kingdomhearts/images/thumb/9/92/Card_of_Spades.jpg/84px-Card_of_Spades.jpg

Our conclusion, my dear Christmas, is that Ultimecia has certain qualities of an evil clown, just like Kefka.

Every villian had a little bit of that in them! I thought everyone knows that. Also, villian had no sense of personal hygiene too since you can never find a clean usable toilet in their creepy dungeons all the time. I bet they eat their own poo and drink their own urine. :bigsmile:

Laddy
08-06-2010, 04:12 AM
I don't get this thread! :jess:

Serapy
08-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Every villian had a little bit of that in them! I thought everyone knows that.

But... unlike the other villians, Ultimecia and Kefka both have shown us their clown stuff. Although, Kefka is more of a clown than Ultimecia as his clothes and style appear to be more clownish.

Consider that Kefka and Ultimecia both had very powerful spells, such spells that can affect everything in the blink of an eye. Yet they can be defeated quite easily... by such tiny particles. These tiny particles happen to be characters... our heros... No, I refuse to believe this norm.

So, this conclusion leads me to believe that Ultimecia and Kefka mean nothing. They were here to entertain us with thier big toys, that's all. Thier big spells won't hurt anybody physically... these spells are just toys...
When our characters find out that Ultimecia and Kefka are fake, they start celebrating as part of the endings.

Ultimecia tricked us into believing that Squall actually died from an icicle but he didn't die. As usual, clowns trick people... just like magicans in real life... e.g. making people believe that they are gonna chop off some woman's head on a table. they chopped off her head but at the end, she's fine.

Erm... I'm speechless right now...

champagne supernova
08-06-2010, 05:54 PM
So, Kefka and Ultimecia are both crazed nihilists with the power to end reality. That actually makes sense. Don't know why you didn't say that at the beginning and had to make that connection using a spade/nutsack in a character's eye, but cool.

EDIT: Wait, I only read the bit about nothing, Kefka and Ultimecia. Clearly, what I'm saying actually doesn't relate at all to what you're saying.

Serapy
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM
They do.

If they weren't evil clowns or playing tricks on us, they would have had ended everything without any problem. How can tiny particles stop that? I know that it wouldn't be a story/game if that was truly the case, but still.

What are the possibility and probability of such very powerful and gigantic spells being stopped by such tiny particles (characters)?
Very extremely low, I'd say.

Both Ultimecia and Kefka have represented a style of 'clown' in one way or another. And plus both of thier spells are equivalent to each other. Therefore, the connection of Ultimecia and Kefka isn't a coincidence.

champagne supernova
08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Or that is a tradition in Final Fantasy games that the party defeats the evil powerful guy at the end. Probably something to do with companionship beating loneliness, good beating evil etc.

Crop
08-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Or that is a tradition in Final Fantasy games that the party defeats the evil powerful guy at the end. Probably something to do with companionship beating loneliness, good beating evil etc.

Yeah. Remember the end of FFVII, just before you fight Sephiroth the whole party is floating around and he's just blasting you back. I think Red says something like "He's way too strong". It would have been no fun if Cloud had just said "You're right" - - Game Over.

Skyblade
08-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Cats aren't the only critters with eyes that don't have round pupils, you know.

http://www.eyedesignbook.com/ch3/fig3-34b-velvet-BG.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1566/X1300/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1566-0146421.jpg

Her eyes seem to share a similar pattern. A number of reptiles have eyes shaped like that. They squeeze down into just a couple tiny pinpricks in bright light.

Serapy
08-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Reptiles? And Ultimecia just happens to summon reptiles/lions-alike monsters during the parade...

MJN SEIFER
08-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Reptiles? And Ultimecia just happens to summon reptiles/lions-alike monsters during the parade...

Well the Lions repersent Squall in my opinion, I dunno if the ones at the Ignions have anything to do with this theory of mine, but, I am sure that there are a few examples in the game that lions are meant to represent Squall, and eyes may represent the love theme of the game, hence more evidence this is Rinoa's eye in the parade clip, as well as the evidence I posted earlier.

champagne supernova
08-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Cats aren't the only critters with eyes that don't have round pupils, you know.

http://www.eyedesignbook.com/ch3/fig3-34b-velvet-BG.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1566/X1300/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1566-0146421.jpg

Her eyes seem to share a similar pattern. A number of reptiles have eyes shaped like that. They squeeze down into just a couple tiny pinpricks in bright light.

Now look what you've done.

Skyblade
08-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Also, the eye belongs to Edea, not Rinoa. Look at the reflection it it. It is reflecting the view out across her float, not the view looking down at Squall.

MJN SEIFER
08-07-2010, 04:04 AM
You can see the view Rinoa would have though from the angle though can't you? Edea wouldn't have been able to see Squall from that angle. (Have to double check) Also, there is a tear in the eye - Rinoa's the only one who should be crying realistically.

Skyblade
08-07-2010, 04:17 AM
You can see the view Rinoa would have though from the angle though can't you? Edea wouldn't have been able to see Squall from that angle. (Have to double check) Also, there is a tear in the eye - Rinoa's the only one who should be crying realistically.

I don't actually see a tear in that. I certainly don't see Squall in that reflection (and Rinoa was looking at Squall, so if it was her eye, we should see him).

And Edea doesn't have reason to cry? Trapped in a prison of her own mind, forced to kill a boy she raised as her own son, powerless to help him? She has plenty of reason to cry. And maybe that's all she can do while possessed.

Christmas
08-07-2010, 02:50 PM
I think a lot of people here see things which I can't see! I bet you all have the ultimate eye! :bigsmile:

http://img2.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/1aa5dcf86c0744208ff5ab76ebe26ca41247783505_full.jpg

Jiro
08-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm gonna say the eye does look sad and I do think it looks like an inverted Squall in the pupil so it would most likely be Rinoa's eye.

HOWEVER why the fuck did her pupil disappear to be replaced by Squall's silhouette? There is no logic in that, which kind of undermines the entire thing.

Skyblade
08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
It's not even the right eye color to be Rinoa. Her eyes are a very dark brown. Edea is the one with the goldish green eyes. And, quite clearly, that is her pupil, and is likely just a part of the same sort of distortion to her face that makes her look a little less human (which you can also see running along the bottom of the pic, beneath her eyes). It was part of the character design, either just to make her look cool, or to physically symbolize the evil and corruption.

Carl the Llama
08-16-2010, 02:09 AM

its not Rinoa, look at this:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4907/rinoaa.jpg

Her eyes are clearly human eyes.

You guys are taking this way to seriously, her eyes a spade or not, who cares? does this make any difference to the game what-so-ever! the answer is clearly no, so lets not get in a twist over it mmmkay!

Aside from that this is clearly not the case that the clowns on the clock mean that Ultimercia "is like Kefka" can you really be serious? what about the fact that the clock is there in the past with Laguna?

I already have more than one hobby, buddy. Thanks for the advice, though. Want my advice? Stop telling people what to do and stop thinking irrationally. If VIII was truly my only hobby, the only hobby I have, I'd be posting on this forum more than normal. I have an irregular activity on here, sometimes I'll be here for a day, or two, a week or two, and then that's it. I'd be back after a week, month, 2 months, 3 months or so later.
That's advice my friend.

Matron is her title... not her name.

NORG: Bujurururu! THEN-WHAT-IS-IT!? IS-IT-CID'S-AND-EDEA'S!? THAT-
PATHETIC-MARRIED-COUPLE'S!?

Squall: What...? (The headmaster and Edea are married!?) (...I don't get
it.)

Note before they have the "we were all at the same Orphanage" scene Squall refers to her as Edea, as does everyone else, only the people who were at the orphanage refer to her as Matron, its her title like Mum or Dad, were YOU at the Orphanage? Was Iceglow? I think not.

Serapy
08-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Also, the eye belongs to Edea, not Rinoa. Look at the reflection it it. It is reflecting the view out across her float, not the view looking down at Squall.

Guys, you know that there are certain factors that can change the colour/appearance of eyes. Bright flames makes your eyes look a lot brighter, for example.

You guys are taking this way to seriously, her eyes a spade or not, who cares? does this make any difference to the game what-so-ever! the answer is clearly no, so lets not get in a twist over it mmmkay!

Yes, it does make a difference to the plot - especially the symbolism between Rinoa and Squall.

Aside from that this is clearly not the case that the clowns on the clock mean that Ultimercia "is like Kefka" can you really be serious? what about the fact that the clock is there in the past with Laguna?

Have you forgotten about the spades in her eyes? Spades and clowns are very much relevant to each other. And consider who organised the parade.

That's advice my friend.

That advice is contradicted to what I said in the relevant post, so please read it again. And plus, whoever provides advice that's made of ignorance is completely out of the window. Why should I listen to an ignorant statement when I know it's not true?

And what's your point?

From the point of Co's view, they rather call her Matron than Edea. As this has been suggested in the game; they are used to calling her Matron a couple of times. The person the Co knew was Matron because that piece of name appears alot when the Co. were younger. In that time, Matron, the person that takes care of them, expressing kindness, providing support and protection, etc.

Did you know that certain memories are assigned to a name or text, right? The
Co. learnt the name Edea when she started causing troubles (which occurs in the future). That's the memory of 'Edea', whereas it differs the memory of 'Matron'.

So, answer this question yourself; why should the Co change it?

it.)

Note before they have the "we were all at the same Orphanage" scene Squall refers to her as Edea, as does everyone else, only the people who were at the orphanage refer to her as Matron, its her title like Mum or Dad, were YOU at the Orphanage? Was Iceglow? I think not.

Um... they called her Edea for clarification. If NORG says Edea and it outputted 'Matron' in Squall's thought, it would be confusing to the player. Same goes for the orphanage scene.

When the player acknowledges 'Matron' and 'Edea', there will be instances that the Co will call her Matron for emotional reasons.

Anyways, I've recently been thinking about reptiles.
Lions (lionheart, Squall's ring, Lions on Ultimecia's castle) definitely represent a sign/memory of hero, strength; like Squall.

Now, reptiles are green. The power sources are green within the game, just like the lifestream in VII. Basically, lions represent Good. Reptiles represent evil. Spades is evil.

That's one possibility. But I have a better possibility; reptiles represent sorceresses, such as Rinoa. This can be relevant to the R=U theory. Lions on Ultimecia's castle represent a memory of Squall and Rinoa herself is represented by Reptiles. Which explains why Ultimecia summoned iguions which are consisted of lions and reptiles.

Crop
08-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I'd love it if the creators of FFVIII came on here and were like, "wtf are you all on about?"

Serapy
08-16-2010, 11:10 PM
So, we have a couple of possibilities so far. Inverted Squall, Rinoa's Eyes, Spades, Clowns and Lions/Reptiles.

Will there be more? Only the future can tell.

Carl the Llama
08-17-2010, 01:12 AM

Guys, you know that there are certain factors that can change the colour/appearance of eyes. Bright flames makes your eyes look a lot brighter, for example.
Are you kidding me, you first argue that its Edea's eye, then when Iceglow says to MJN SEIFER no it's not you automatically take MS's side and completely change your mind. You really shouldn't contradict yourself like that.

Yes, it does make a difference to the plot - especially the symbolism between Rinoa and Squall.
Before I answer this, I will ask a question: how exactly does it make any difference what-so-ever to the plot? you make these bold statements but when it comes to answering the evidence is non existent, if your going to make a statement say it does make a difference please provide evidence towards that effect, as I am about to do with your weak theory.

Moving on, as I said before, you really should stop contradicting yourself:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5193/edeay.jpg

Edea's eye. Can someone guess what does her pupil resemble to?

It looks like 'inverted' Squall to me, which makes sense considering the situation at the time as this photo took place right after when an icicle's struck against Squall.

And during Squall's dream, after the final battle, this shot repeats itself when Rinoa is seen leaving Squall at the dance hall.

So, what does all this mean? I think that the eye represents a sign of Squall when he's really down. I'm not sure what's the right word to use...
First you say it looks like an inverted Squall. Then someone mentions it loosely resembles a spade from a deck of cards then you say CLOWNS have alot in common with Spades, CLOWNS are not in a deck of cards, Jokers are.

Here let me show you something interesting: The whole Parade scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=div0mNSrY6w) including several shots close enough for the viewer to see Edea's eyes, note ALL of them have the "spades" symbol even before she lays eyes on Squall so no, they do not represent "victory" they are just her eye's not Groundbreaking Revelations!

Have you forgotten about the spades in her eyes? Spades and clowns are very much relevant to each other. And consider who organised the parade.
Consider answering my previous statement, The clock is there in the past with Laguna! As I just told you, CLOWNS are nothing to do with Spades, that's Jokers.

That's advice my friend.

That advice is contradicted to what I said in the relevant post, so please read it again. And plus, whoever provides advice that's made of ignorance is completely out of the window. Why should I listen to an ignorant statement when I know it's not true? Did you misunderstand what I was writing? (no offense intended) she said "I strongly advise you to find one" and you replied "Stop telling me what to do" and I said that isn't telling, its advising, which it is.

And what's your point?
My point is you had a go at Iceglow for calling her Edea when thats her name, I pointed out that the gang call her Matron because its her title and Iceglow's using of the name is right, I will also point out the fact that at the start of this thread YOU called her Edea, why the sudden flip out just to have a go at Iceglow? It seems to me your entire point of that post is to have a go at Iceglow... which really shouldn't happen, try to make more constructive posts yeah? *Note: This is also Advice if you choose to ignore/act like I'm insulting you then that's your prerogative.*

From the point of Co's view, they rather call her Matron than Edea. As this has been suggested in the game; they are used to calling her Matron a couple of times. The person the Co knew was Matron because that piece of name appears alot when the Co. were younger. In that time, Matron, the person that takes care of them, expressing kindness, providing support and protection, etc.
Her name is Edea:
http://a.imageshack.us/img408/6927/shousew.jpg
Imagine that! A picture of the game itself saying Edea and not Matron. Even better images to follow:
http://a.imageshack.us/img189/6215/sname.jpg
Do you see that, the game is calling her Edea!!! omg wtf!

*Note: Ariana is what I called Rinoa in my game.*

Did you know that certain memories are assigned to a name or text, right? The Co. learnt the name Edea when she started causing troubles (which occurs in the future). That's the memory of 'Edea', whereas it differs the memory of 'Matron'.

This is one of your easier questions to answer: Do you remember the plot device that makes the team forget the past? I'll remind you: its the GF's make the team forget their past and as such forget who and what people's titles are, anyways back to point: Squall and Co. were raised in an orphanage and as such the person who raised them would be like a mother to them:

ma·tron
   /ˈmeɪtrən/ Show Spelled[mey-truhn] Show IPA
–noun
a married woman, esp. one who is mature and staid or dignified and has an established social position.
a woman who has charge of the domestic affairs of a hospital, prison, or other institution.
a woman serving as a guard, warden, or attendant for women or girls, as in a prison.
Use matron in a Sentence
See images of matron
Search matron on the Web
Origin:
1350–1400; ME matrone < L mātrōna a married woman, wife, deriv. of māter mother

Derived from Mother, and as such because they were raised by her they call her Matron because she is like a mother to them, calling her Matron is because its her TITLE! You flipped out at Iceglow because he used the name Edea which is THE NAME SHE WAS BORN WITH, why did you have a go at him? seems you posted JUST to FLAME him.

it.)

Um... they called her Edea for clarification. If NORG says Edea and it outputted 'Matron' in Squall's thought, it would be confusing to the player. Same goes for the orphanage scene.

When the player acknowledges 'Matron' and 'Edea', there will be instances that the Co will call her Matron for emotional reasons. Yes I admit it THEY call her Matron, note in my previous post's (the pictures unless they escaped your attention) the GAME WHICH WAS WRITTEN BY THE PEOPLE WHO DECIDED WHAT HER NAME WAS called her Edea, in all instances her name when she speaks is ALWAYS Edea I will repeat that: In All Instances Her Name When She Speaks Is ALWAYS Edea. I am sorry if what I write offends you but its the simple truth, your just clutching at straws: If you have ANY evidence that contradicts what I have just written then please provide it for the rest of us to see, please do not use your view on the whole situation as evidence, evidence is where you have outside information (be it picture video or third person (so long as they were involved with the making of the game)) like I have provided.

Anyways, I've recently been thinking about reptiles.
Lions (lionheart, Squall's ring, Lions on Ultimecia's castle) definitely represent a sign/memory of hero, strength; like Squall.

Now, reptiles are green. The power sources are green within the game, just like the lifestream in VII. Basically, lions represent Good. Reptiles represent evil. Spades is evil. Spades is Evil? can you PLEASE make you mind up, one minute you say the "Spades" are Edea's eyes then you say the "Spades" are Rinoa's eye's and now you are saying "Spades are Evil" do you mean to say that when the camera zooms in on what you call "Rinoa's eye" that she is "evil" because she has "Spades" in her eye, or have you changed your mind AGAIN and have gone back to thinking the "Spades" are now back in Edea's eye's? do you really think anyone here agrees with your clearly outlandish comments?

That's one possibility. But I have a better possibility; reptiles represent sorceresses, such as Rinoa. This can be relevant to the R=U theory. Lions on Ultimecia's castle represent a memory of Squall and Rinoa herself is represented by Reptiles. Which explains why Ultimecia summoned iguions which are consisted of lions and reptiles.
So your now saying you believe that Rinoa is Ultimercia, well that is clearly not the case as if it was, when the party goes to fight Ultimercia she would simply say "Hey Squall, it's me Rinoa, remember when we were in the garden by Edea's house you said you would protect me no matter what, so dispose of those other people so we can be together forever" also if that were to fail and she was Rinoa, Rinoa would remember that if she compressed time Squall and Co. would come and kill her, and as such avoid doing so.

Serapy
08-17-2010, 05:29 AM

Are you kidding me, you first argue that its Edea's eye, then when Iceglow says to MJN SEIFER no it's not you automatically take MS's side and completely change your mind. You really shouldn't contradict yourself like that.

These are possibilities - or a list of possibilities. Each of these possibilities represent different meanings. I'm looking forward to explore more possbilities and pick one to believe in. So, how was I contradicting? Huh?

Before I answer this, I will ask a question: how exactly does it make any difference what-so-ever to the plot?

Sigh... the love symbolism between Squall and Rinoa. That symbolism is a part of the plot. This thread may change my view on the symbolism of Squall/Rinoa. If this is the case, then the plot will become adjusted. That's the difference, can't you tell?

you make these bold statements but when it comes to answering the evidence is non existent, if your going to make a statement say it does make a difference please provide evidence towards that effect, as I am about to do with your weak theory.

I already have provided evidence. Have you? Nope. For example, I presented evidence (the weird symbol is evidence, and the clown models is evidence), I made an assumption that they may be connected to each other. Have you got evidence that the weird symbol is not weird, or the clown models are fake?

Moving on, as I said before, you really should stop contradicting yourself:

No, I'm not.

First you say it looks like an inverted Squall. Then someone mentions it loosely resembles a spade from a deck of cards then you say CLOWNS have alot in common with Spades, CLOWNS are not in a deck of cards, Jokers are.

Clowns and Jokers are basically the same version of 'evil'... and do you know that saying 'No, it's Jokers, not Clowns' is not really an argument against my theory, right?

Here let me show you something interesting: The whole Parade scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=div0mNSrY6w) including several shots close enough for the viewer to see Edea's eyes, note ALL of them have the "spades" symbol even before she lays eyes on Squall so no, they do not represent "victory" they are just her eye's not Groundbreaking Revelations!

I'm already aware that not every shot of her eyes have whatever (Spades) in it...

The shot of her eyes (the one I posted in this thread) TOOK place after when her icicles have struck against Squall. And this exact shot re-appears in Squall's flashback later in the game. And in this shot, the Spades happen to be there. Amazingly, the meaning of Spades (pushed into the earth with the foot...) is very identical to what happened (her icicles pushed into Squall's body).

So, why don't you re-evaluate your assumption that it's just her eyes? Note, though, just because it's subtle, it doesn't mean it's not important - especially when we are discussing the thing here.

Consider answering my previous statement, The clock is there in the past with Laguna! As I just told you, CLOWNS are nothing to do with Spades, that's Jokers.

Repeating yourself that it's Jokers, not Clowns, are you now? Since this statement of yours is not argumentative-worthy material, I will shall leave it null and void.

You know, if I could say something that's not argumentative-worthy material - I'd correct yourself by claiming that it's 'you're', not 'your'.

Did you misunderstand what I was writing? (no offense intended) she said "I strongly advise you to find one" and you replied "Stop telling me what to do" and I said that isn't telling, its advising, which it is.

Duh, I said:

Thanks for the advice. Want my advice? -Stop telling people what to do and stop thinking irrationally.

Of course, it's advice. What are you talking about?

My point is you had a go at Iceglow for calling her Edea when thats her name, I pointed out that the gang call her Matron because its her title and Iceglow's using of the name is right,

So, Edea is right and that Matron is wrong? So if I call her Matron when the Co called her Matron, does it mean I'm wrong? Otherwise, I don't see your argument. Whether a certain text is a name, title or whatever, it doesn't matter.

I will also point out the fact that at the start of this thread YOU called her Edea, why the sudden flip out just to have a go at Iceglow?

Because that scene (the shot) was what formed the memory of 'Edea'. The Co. evidently learnt the name 'Edea' around that time period (pre-Edea battle). That's why I called her Edea at this point.

I told Iceglow that it's Matron because he mentioned Edea at the ending. But in fact, Squall called her Matron a couple of times at the ending. As I've said before, I'm with Squall; thinking inside Squall's head helps me to make theories.

I should have added more detail to my 'For countless times, it's Matron, not Edea' statement to clear the confusion for you people. The only reason why I didn't add more detail is because me and Iceglow have had talked about the same issue in the past.

It seems to me your entire point of that post is to have a go at Iceglow...

No? Most of that post was directed at BarelySeeAtAll, not Iceglow.

And my question still remains; what's your point? What does Iceglow or his relevances have to do with this thread?

which really shouldn't happen, try to make more constructive posts yeah?

My statement directed at his Edea quote was amounted to 1/4 of one entire post and you're suggesting me to make constructive posts? Over-exaggeration as usual.

Her name is Edea:
Imagine that! A picture of the game itself saying Edea and not Matron. Even better images to follow:

Do you see that, the game is calling her Edea!!! omg wtf!

Re-read my post again. I've never once claimed or implied that she's not Edea outright.

Did you know that certain memories are assigned to a name or text, right? The Co. learnt the name Edea when she started causing troubles (which occurs in the future). That's the memory of 'Edea', whereas it differs the memory of 'Matron'.

This is one of your easier questions to answer: Do you remember the plot device that makes the team forget the past? I'll remind you: its the GF's make the team forget their past and as such forget who and what people's titles are

Um, no. If what you said is true, then Squall would of have called her Edea instead of Matron in the ending. But he actually called her Matron in the ending as shown in the game script below:

Squall: (...Matron.)
Squall: Yes, Matron. We had defeated her... Matron, stand back.
Squall: (puts his gunblade away) Matron!
Squall: ...Matron.
Squall: (...I'll be all right, Matron.)

After the GF thing, Squall and the Co. have remembered everything and even acknowledged that Edea was Matron. Yet Squall called her Matron at the ending. So, this has nothing to do with the GF thing.

, anyways back to point: Squall and Co. were raised in an orphanage and as such the person who raised them would be like a mother to them

So?

Derived from Mother, and as such because they were raised by her they call her Matron because she is like a mother to them, calling her Matron is because its her TITLE!

Let me repeat myself because I believe it's necessary:

Did you know that certain memories are assigned to a name or text, right? The
Co. learnt the name Edea when she started causing troubles (which occurs in the future). That's the memory of 'Edea', whereas it differs the memory of 'Matron'.

Memories are more important than definitions (i.e. the definition of Matron).

You flipped out at Iceglow because he used the name Edea which is THE NAME SHE WAS BORN WITH, why did you have a go at him? seems you posted JUST to FLAME him.

*facepalm*

Yes I admit it THEY call her Matron, note in my previous post's (the pictures unless they escaped your attention) the GAME WHICH WAS WRITTEN BY THE PEOPLE WHO DECIDED WHAT HER NAME WAS called her Edea, in all instances her name when she speaks is ALWAYS Edea I will repeat that: In All Instances Her Name When She Speaks Is ALWAYS Edea.

Did you even read my posts? I never once claimed or implied that she's not Edea outright.

I am sorry if what I write offends you but its the simple truth, your just clutching at straws: If you have ANY evidence that contradicts what I have just written then please provide it for the rest of us to see, please do not use your view on the whole situation as evidence, evidence is where you have outside information (be it picture video or third person (so long as they were involved with the making of the game)) like I have provided.

Evidence that contradicts what you have just written? Sure, why not. Squall called her Matron. There you go, that's the contradiction.

Spades is Evil? can you PLEASE make you mind up, one minute you say the "Spades" are Edea's eyes then you say the "Spades" are Rinoa's eye's and now you are saying "Spades are Evil" do you mean to say that when the camera zooms in on what you call "Rinoa's eye" that she is "evil" because she has "Spades" in her eye, or have you changed your mind AGAIN and have gone back to thinking the "Spades" are now back in Edea's eye's?

These are possibilities - possibilities that are separated to each other since each of them has a different meaning. Who said that all of these possibilities are merged into one theory? Enlighten me.

do you really think anyone here agrees with your clearly outlandish comments?

If you really want to know if one of the people like my ideas here, why don't you find out?

So your now saying you believe that Rinoa is Ultimercia,

You must not have heard of my other theories, then.

well that is clearly not the case as if it was, when the party goes to fight Ultimercia she would simply say "Hey Squall, it's me Rinoa, remember when we were in the garden by Edea's house you said you would protect me no matter what, so dispose of those other people so we can be together forever"

It doesn't work like that. Many elements in VIII are ambiguous and subtle.

If VIII was MOSTLY about Squall and Rinoa, then there would be more backstory about Squall/Rinoa/Ultimecia themselves. With more backstory, we may find more hints of whether or not Rinoa may be Ultimecia. However, VIII was about defeating Ultimecia and having a happy ending; things that have nothing to do with that goal tend to be more subtle and ambiguous. Also consider the fact that the development team was rushing to finish VIII.

also if that were to fail and she was Rinoa, Rinoa would remember that if she compressed time Squall and Co. would come and kill her, and as such avoid doing so.

Not possible. Because Ultimecia never told us about herself. And she acted crazy. Not telling us anything about herself and her acting crazy WILL lead to a plausible assumption that she may not remember anything.

Wolf Kanno
08-17-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm just going to stop this... I mean damn. Its obvious this thread is going to get ugly soon, so I'm just going close it down and pray to my dark gods for all of your souls.