PDA

View Full Version : How Long Can You Read Before Finding Something Wrong?

Forsaken Lover
07-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Socksmakepeoplesexy.Net - <Die the death>! <Sentence to death>! <Great equalizer is The Death>!! (http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff09)

We get heroes that try to be as likable and straightforward as Cecil, Butz, and their respective crews, but are also forced to grapple with sordid pasts and personal demons like Cloud, Squall

Strike 1. Cecil also has a sordid past and personal demons...it's the entire first part of the game. I mean, I never even beat FFIV and I know about this.

villains with personalities and motives as two dimensional as Zemus and Exdeath, but who are as overexposed and zazzed-up to the degree of Sephiroth and Edea.

Strike 2. Kuja and Garland have vastly different personalities and motives to any FF villain.

The incompetency in this makes me unable to read it all in one go.
So feel free to add your own Strike 3's. I'm sure there are a lot of them.

charliepanayi
07-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm struggling to decipher your opening post but the link basically seems to be someone slating FFIX a fair bit, and talking a lot of old rubbish.

Forsaken Lover
07-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Someone wrote a review of FFIX full of blatant errors and I'm just posting it because...why not.

Christmas
07-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I like all the pictures that person use in the review! :bigsmile:

Although I didn't really read all that he wrote cause it seems really boring to me! :bigsmile:

Flying Arrow
07-20-2010, 04:10 AM
That first quotation is questionable (what with Cecil having a dark past), but I'm not sure I necessarily disagree with the rest. I'm smurfing positive I'm in the minority here.

blackmage_nuke
07-20-2010, 04:20 AM
I read quite abit of it (the whole thing was too long) and nothing really jumps out at me that makes me think "this guy is an idiot" Also I thought the pictures he used were really nice too. I get the feeling he mustve screen capped them all himself and after all the effort i cant bring myself to hate his review

G13
07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I didn't read the whole thing, I quit when I got to the character introductions. I'm not really sure what I think of the review. At times it seemed the reviewer was bashing on the game but then there were times when they praised it for a certain aspect. It just seemed like a normal review to me.

Rantz
07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
So that's where the forum description is from.

G13
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought the same thing. I used to think that it was a strange description but now it makes so much more sense. :lol:

blackmage_nuke
07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
I use to think forum staff were actually clever and funny but now I am very unimpressed.

Old Manus
07-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Keep up, guys!

Anybody who wants to point-by-point 'debunk' a review by someone who didn't think the game was too good needs to reassess their life goals. FFX-2 was utter hog :bou::bou::bou::bou:, but I never made a thread with a huge opening post about how every part of the game was crap!

EDIT: in fact, the page isn't a bash on FFIX at all. It has a brief run through the game, highlighting the cooler parts, followed by a list of the references to the previous games within it

Elly
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
i rather liked that article, it pretty much told it straight... considering it's only part of a larger article, i've decided to read the entire thing covering the original FF to FFXIII, so far (i'm up to FFVI, including FFIX) i'm really enjoying this series of articles...

Forsaken Lover
07-22-2010, 09:11 PM
EDIT: in fact, the page isn't a bash on FFIX at all. It has a brief run through the game, highlighting the cooler parts, followed by a list of the references to the previous games within it

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence is insulted by the writer's clear idiocy when it comes to "summarizing" the characters.

And yes he finishes off by mentioning the references..in a style made to patronize FFIX for using them. Kuja is now a Kefka wannabe because he did one thing Kefka did.
Gotta love how he praises the two-dimensional, worthless villain Kefka over Kuja.

Then again, the writer clearly didn't understand any of the characters of any of the games as I showed with my opening post.

Articles like this may be on the itnernet but if I had a pritner, i'd print it out and crumple it up to throw it in the trash where it belonged.

I'm sorry but almost everything about this article rubs me the wrong way.

Old Manus
07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Dude. The article isn't the 10,000 word hatespeech on FFIX you think it is. He spends just as much time praising the game as he spends pointing out (with his tongue firmly in his cheek) flaws in the game, none of which are unfounded.

He's written similar pages on all of the other games.

Goldenboko
07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I find some of the points to be well regarded, while others I disagree with. A fair review.

blackmage_nuke
07-22-2010, 11:58 PM
And yes he finishes off by mentioning the references..in a style made to patronize FFIX for using them. Kuja is now a Kefka wannabe because he did one thing Kefka did.
Gotta love how he praises the two-dimensional, worthless villain Kefka over Kuja.

I thought he was expressing the way ffix self referenced ff and pointing out cheerful little facts that we might not have noticed, sometimes with wry humour. I found it pleasant.

Christmas
07-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Keep up, guys!

Anybody who wants to point-by-point 'debunk' a review by someone who didn't think the game was too good needs to reassess their life goals. FFX-2 was utter hog :bou::bou::bou::bou:, but I never made a thread with a huge opening post about how every part of the game was crap!

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2/71730-ffx-2-truth.html

Wolf Kanno
07-25-2010, 05:47 AM
This is an amusing coincidence, I just found this guy's articles a few weeks ago and have been having fun with the articles. The guy is pretty damn hilarious especially his review for VIII and IV.

I miss the days of 'tude as well. :(

Like some have said though, I feel you are being a bit too defensive on his article, while it's obvious the author doesn't like Kuja or Zidane, he does pretty much seem to like the rest of the title and enjoys the throwbacks (some of which I didn't even catch like the shop name or the fact the Eidolon Wall references the Queen from FFI and not just Princess Sarah) but he does make a point of explaining the titles faults which being the game borrows heavily from previous games and it does unfortunately takes some of the worst elements of both the old and new school titles in the form of some crummy game mechanics and wee bit too much of that teen angst.

Also, Garland is anything but original, he is basically Zemus with more dialogue but he's basically using the same goal of wiping out the population of one race to make room for his own technologically advances race. Zemus created the Giant of Babil for the task while Garland created Zidane and Kuja. Kuja himself is an amalgamation of the best villains in the series, specifically Golbez, Kefka, and Sephiroth. While I have no problem with such a character I can understand where other people might.

Beyond that, I wouldn't take such an article too serious. Just enjoy it and laugh cause that's what its purpose is, entertainment. :D

Forsaken Lover
07-26-2010, 04:31 AM
From what I know of Zermus, he was just a traditional FF villain. Kill everyone, conquer everything..Complete Monster kinda thing.

Garland was the first example of moral ambiguity in the FF series as far as I'm aware. Sure he wanted to kill everyone and take over the planet but that's what he was made to do. He is doing what he thinks is right and necessary to save his people.

Even when Terra is destroyed he does all he can just to save the universe. Though his entire mission, all his hundreds of years of existence, were for nothing, he helps save everyone else.

Garland, like most of the FFIX's villain cast apart from Zorn & Thorn, had a lot of depth.
I'll give the writer of the article credit for understanding that much.

Wolf Kanno
07-26-2010, 06:57 AM
From what I know of Zermus, he was just a traditional FF villain. Kill everyone, conquer everything..Complete Monster kinda thing.

Zemus argued against the other Lunarians about how to deal with the Blue Planet, he suggested they should conquer with the Giant of Bab-il instead of waiting for humanity to reach the Lunarians level of culture. For this he was imprisoned and forced to sleep by the people he was trying to help. His rage comes from feeling betrayed by his own kind and resents and hates the races of the Blue Planet. He's basically alien Hitler. I wouldn't call him a simple "I R EVIL" at least not a simple or atypical version.

Garland was the first example of moral ambiguity in the FF series as far as I'm aware. Sure he wanted to kill everyone and take over the planet but that's what he was made to do. He is doing what he thinks is right and necessary to save his people.

Even when Terra is destroyed he does all he can just to save the universe. Though his entire mission, all his hundreds of years of existence, were for nothing, he helps save everyone else.

Garland, like most of the FFIX's villain cast apart from Zorn & Thorn, had a lot of depth.
I'll give the writer of the article credit for understanding that much.

I never said the cast was underdeveloped, simply that they do pay homage to past characters and plot events. Zidane himself is often noted by some fans to be modeled after Locke and Edgar from VI for example (I think Edge shows up in there as well). Some people just feel like IX is sometimes less homage and more of a blatant rip off from past successes. I don;'t feel the author feels this completely, in his later articles on X and X-2 he pretty much says IX is the last true FF game for him and everything afterwards is the result of FF going corporate. Actually his X-2 review is pretty hilarious and sadly reminded me why I haven't touched the game since I beat it.

Forsaken Lover
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Zemus argued against the other Lunarians about how to deal with the Blue Planet, he suggested they should conquer with the Giant of Bab-il instead of waiting for humanity to reach the Lunarians level of culture. For this he was imprisoned and forced to sleep by the people he was trying to help. His rage comes from feeling betrayed by his own kind and resents and hates the races of the Blue Planet. He's basically alien Hitler. I wouldn't call him a simple "I R EVIL" at least not a simple or atypical version.

Fair enough. I should really get back to finishing FFIV finally.

I never said the cast was underdeveloped, simply that they do pay homage to past characters and plot events. Zidane himself is often noted by some fans to be modeled after Locke and Edgar from VI for example (I think Edge shows up in there as well). Some people just feel like IX is sometimes less homage and more of a blatant rip off from past successes. I don;'t feel the author feels this completely, in his later articles on X and X-2 he pretty much says IX is the last true FF game for him and everything afterwards is the result of FF going corporate. Actually his X-2 review is pretty hilarious and sadly reminded me why I haven't touched the game since I beat it.

Meh. The author isn't remotely as intelligent as he thinks he is if he can't understand a character in a Final Fantasy game.

Put it this way, Wolf. I have a very different view of the seris tahn you as I like X and X-2. But I respect you because you know what you're talking about.
This guy has made too many obvious errors that I can't respect him nearly as much and his sniping comes off as just...wrong.

VeloZer0
07-30-2010, 02:36 AM
I'd like to play devil's advocate for a moment. Ordinarily, when somebody can stumble upon spoilers for the newest installment of your ongoing fantasy series by watching old reruns of Dragonball Z, shouldn't that usually be taken as an indication that you've jumped the shark? Just sayin'.
Best quote ever.

I actually really loved FF9 but I am now re-playing it on PSP and I have to say that I overlooked quite a bit on my first forays through it. I say the review is fairly fair. I don't agree with it all, but he isn't off an a wild tangent either. Likewise, I still regard FF9 as 'the last good one'.

beema
08-13-2010, 06:11 AM
man, that link went to a page of text way longer than I anticipated. so much for reading this before bed!

It's a shame IX is so overlooked. I'm playing through it now for the first time and I have found it to be nothing but immensely enjoyable.

I don't understand all the hate for Quina. The character doesn't add anything to the story, but it's a far f'ing cry from Jar Jar Binx.

Also, although the score has some pretty good pieces, it needed much more variation. What the crap are they talking about? Every battle had the same bgm, every boss battle had the same bgm, and the Bgm for about 3 distinct locations was just a slight variation on the world map theme.

I enjoyed the review overall though, and I like the person's writing style.

Ouch!
08-13-2010, 08:20 AM
I stopped reading when I realized that most of the things that the author found lacking about FFIX are the same reason why I find it so endearing.

Jiro
08-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I just skimmed through it, but I found it to be quite funny. While he does seem to attack the game a bit, even I can appreciate some of the faults he does pick up (and I love IX). Don't take it too seriously and everything's sweet.