PDA

View Full Version : Officey Software thingies

Levian
07-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I need to organize some things.

I have a bunch of lists of things I have to go through, like movies I have to see and stand up comedians I have to check out. Anyone know of a good program I can use to have a nice overview of these things and an easy way to cross out things I've checked out.

Also, anyone know of a great RSS reader? I'm not a fan of Google's reader. I'm currently using RSSOwl and it's really good, except for one thing, it crashes quite often.

Additional General Chat-y topic: How do you organize your thoughts? Or maybe you don't?

Miriel
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I use Things (http://culturedcode.com/things/) and I love it! Helps me keep track of all the work I need to do, deadlines and due dates for each thing and I can organize stuff by projects. Plus, it's fun actually checking stuff off the list.

And I use iCal to organize all my scheduling stuff.

I also email myself a lot with random thoughts that I don't want to forget. Or when there are links that I want to keep track of but don't want to clutter up my bookmarks with and so I just email myself. And I organize all my emails in Gmail with pretty colored labels for each category.

I like to physically write down my to-do lists too. Mentally, it just helps to actually WRITE it down. On paper. Old school style. I have notebooks everywhere, and so whenever I think of something, I can grab the nearest notebook and start writing stuff down. Problem with this method is that I have thoughts scattered across 10 different notebooks and it's hard to sort out which idea went into which book.

Rye
07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I am a total list person. I had the same problem as Hannah, like I had 10 different list notebooks, but I've been making a conscious effort to try to one "on the go" notebook and one emergency chores list book, and so far I've been succeeding. On any given day I could write maybe 5 different lists of stuff to do today, tomorrow, soon, etc.

The main reason I want a Mac is because all of the software for sort of organization, like Things, is always geared towards a Mac and Mac user. A clientele of super busy OCD list making people!

Breine
07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I write all kinds of stuff down on random pieces of paper, and then when I need the information I can sometimes not find it. I also use my cell phone from time to time.

But yeah, making lists is neat and helps me remember.

Raistlin
07-22-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't use RSS. In my day, we had to actually go to the website! And we'd only get a bunch of 1s and 0s, which we'd have to interpret ourselves!

My thoughts are organized in my brain, and nowhere else.

rubah
07-22-2010, 11:51 PM
I don't really make lists. Sometimes I'll set an alarm on my phone.

I thought this thread was going to be about actual office software :( I was going to tell everyone about NeoOffice

Shlup
07-22-2010, 11:55 PM
I write lists on Hello Kitty note paper. And I go directly to sites 'cause I like to see posts in their natural environment.

Fujiko
07-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I usually write important thoughts down in my mini notebook. :p

Mo-Nercy
07-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Important work or uni related things go into my diary, but I usually just rely on my brain for the majority of tasks. If I've got something important to do that's more a personal thing (like remembering to give something back to a friend), I'll leave a post-it note on my computer desk or steering wheel - the two places I'm most likely to be sitting in front of throughout the day.

Baloki
07-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I used Livejournal as my RSS Reader ^.^;;

Miriel
08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
I am bumping this because I just discovered Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/) and it is amaaaaazing. I've only used it for a few days so far, but I love it!

And unlike Things, it's available for Windows too: Evernote for Windows | Evernote Corporation (http://www.evernote.com/about/download/windows.php)

Amazing application, it's keeping me so organized. I'm using it to organize my receipts, record notes during phone conversations with clients, and as a diet/exercise log.

Shlup
08-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I was excited when you first described Things, then was all mad at you when I realized it was for Mac.

You are now forgiven. *downloads*

Peegee
08-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't really make lists. Sometimes I'll set an alarm on my phone.

I thought this thread was going to be about actual office software :( I was going to tell everyone about NeoOffice

neko-office ftw.

The closest thing to a list I've ever made was an excel sheet that told me where my media files were - I had something like 8 IDE drives of various sizes stuffed full of junk.

Then I bought a 1.5 TB hard drive which consolidated all of that into one drive. Problem solved.

Lists are needed only if you have several storage locations and haven't used the 'one size fits all' solution. I love piles of things - clothes, bed, junk, garbage, me...

Shiny
08-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I make lists the traditional way. With a pen and paper or some index cards. I love NeoOffice too though.

Jiro
08-13-2010, 02:24 AM
I use post it notes on my laptop. But most of the time I just make mental checklists and lose/forget them.

black orb
08-13-2010, 02:29 AM
I write all kinds of stuff down on random pieces of paper
>>> Same here..:luca:

Levian
08-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Nice find, Miriel. I'll download this on Sunday to check it out. :D RSSowl is getting really annoying, it keeps crashing all the time.

Rantz
08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I tried Evernote a few weeks ago and it seemed pretty cool but I didn't really get it! Sigh.

Freya
08-13-2010, 05:32 PM
I dl'd that evernote thing. I like it so far but I'm still kinda playing with it. We'll see how it goes.

Iceglow
08-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Whilst at work I write lists of what I need to take to replenish areas on scraps of paper all the time. However when it comes to most other things, shopping lists, to do lists, book page number ect it's all stored mentally.