PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Final Fantasy Games are getting to serious???

reinward
07-26-2010, 03:00 AM
i just got done playing FFVII for the first time in a while and it reminded me how important humour is in FF games.

XII and XIII are missing the light heartedness of their predecessors. like in FFVII there are so many stupid little thing like all the gay dudes running around in speedos, the slap fight with Scarlet and Tifa, Don Cornero's stupid little hip wiggle thing he does, cid's famous TEA line, date scene, cid falling asleep deuring a meeting, toilet flushing, heidiggers stupid laugh, etc, etc just lots of random @ss things there is alot more i cant remember...

IX had a lot of silliness in it too, and despite X's serious tone it had a ton of of humour in it too

i feel XII and XIII really lost that and (XIII especially) and thats what is making ff lose its charm

thoughts?

VeloZer0
07-26-2010, 03:46 AM
It is a lot easier to add silliness like that when you don't have lifelike characters. Had those scenes been acted out with modern graphics they would have just looked ridiculous and stupid.

Another loss to the altar of progress.

Saber
07-26-2010, 06:11 AM
I agree with the OP.

I just played through VII the past 3 days and had played both 12 and 13. I noticed (and I've said it here before) 12 and 13 lacked any real emotion. In 12 it felt like everyone had the same voice and to me... it didn't matter who said what half the time, the plot was just plain and dull. Its like "okay, lets travel all the way west. Okay we made it!! Hurray! Okay, Lets go back and this time travel south this time. We made it!! Hurray! Okay this time we will travel east then north then south again. We made it!! Hurray!" Game over.

Jessweeee♪
07-26-2010, 06:41 AM
FFXII had very subtle humor, so no, it doesn't have that same silliness. Some people appreciate that more, however. FFXIII was much more lighthearted. It was very serious yes, it's either be a zombie and then turn to stone or do your job and turn into a prettier stone after all, but there was plenty of well written comic relief. If something completely outlandish like "gay dudes running around in speedos" happened with the realistic art style of FFXIII, it would feel incredibly cheesy. FFVII had a lot of quirkiness to it and I liked it a lot, but that sort of thing doesn't really fly now. With all of the new things you gain with more realistic graphics there are things that you lose in exchange.

Also I'm not quite sure what anyone means by FFXIII had no emotion. One of the biggest complaints people have about this game is that there was too much of it. A lot of it anger. ARRRGH WE ARE GOING TO TURN INTO ROCKS NO MATTER WHAT WE DO THIS SUUUUCKS I AM KILLING THE GOVERNMENT/SNOW/MYSELF.

Karifean
07-26-2010, 06:13 PM
We had a thread about this exact subject lately. I think it was called "The ESBR knows what's missing" or something like that.

Ontopic, I agree. There was just so much lighthearted fun in the earlier Final Fantasies which improved their quality quite a bit. Taking XIII for example, Sazh is the only humorous guy in the bunch... ... ... ... ... something like Cloud cross-dressing at Wall Market would probably never happen again in newer Final Fantasies.

black orb
07-26-2010, 06:49 PM
>>> The new FF games are getting less credible, I didnt buy anything from FF13..:luca:

Bolivar
07-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Maybe... there's more than one way to skin a cat, someone could make a great game with no humor at all and make it better than the mid-FF's.

XII was a great game and XIII is so far for me, so I can't really complain. But VI-X are probably better...

Nominus Experse
07-27-2010, 05:18 AM
g gfd gg g g g gg gg

Stjewy
07-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I agree, I think humour is incredibly important (imo) for FF games. Thats exactly why I hate XII and dislike ( not hate, but don't like it either ) FFXIII.
and I effing LOVE the funny stuff the little sprytes do in FFVI ( just recently started my first playthrough ).

Altough I don't think the main series had ANY good FF since FFX I'm really looking forward to FF versus XIII ( Nomura ! ). So lets hope there is a little more humour in that one since FFXIII is like one big humourless soap.

BarelySeeAtAll
07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Maybe they're trying to tell us something ;)

Zora
07-28-2010, 11:20 PM
It's okay. If an FFVII remake comes up out on the PS3, we'll be wondering, "Hey, don't your remember when Final Fantasy you could play comfortably because there weren't gay dudes running around in speedos chasing after my cross-dressing cloud on my fifty inch plasma screen TV." :D

In all seriousness though, I'm going with people who are attributing this change to realistic graphics. The game needs to be more realistic both in writing and style, and quirkiness just doesn't fly. That isn't to say that they can't be humorous, but their humor needs to be a lot more subtle. Some of Balthier's lines in Final Fantasy XII are an excellent example of subtle humor.

Laddy
07-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Sazh and Vanille were funny together. Balthier made me chuckle. Final Fantasy is still kinda funny. :bigsmile:

razorrozar7
07-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I honestly thought the same thing (as o/p that is). I was playing XIII the other day and I was like, "Jeez, and they said VIII was angsty..."

ShinGundam
08-03-2010, 05:01 AM
thoughts?
FF getting "too Kiddy" ;(

Chris
08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I didn't like FFXII for many reasons, lack of humour being one of them. "Final Fantasy have been on a serious decline since FFX". It's the same boring rhetoric, but I personally share the same sentiment.

champagne supernova
08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
XIII was funny at time. And if Vanille pulling wool off a sheep isn't a quirky moment, I don't know what is.

But yeah, the games have become more serious. I would say XII was more serious than XIII, but that's just an opinion. But then, I don't remember X being particularly funny. And some of the scenes they did try making funny fell very flat.

But realism does mean that humour has to be toned down a lot to not just be people doing quirky things, but having funny dialogue.