PDA

View Full Version : Starting Cities

Miriel
07-29-2010, 01:24 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/EoFF/limsalominsa.jpg

On the southern coast of the island of Vylbrand, under the shadow of ancient cliffs worn by the relentless onslaught of The Rhotano Sea, lies the maritime city-state of Limsa Lominsa. Said to be blessed by the goddess of navigation, Llymlaen, the city is spread out over countless tiny islands, each connected by tiny ivory bridges. It is this that has earned her the name the "Navigator's Veil" from traveling bards who have witnessed the city's beauty from afar.

Legend holds that Limsa Lominsa was founded shortly after the remnants of a giant armada fled from its homeland following a crushing defeat. Llymlaen is said to have taken pity on the plight of these brave sailors, and guided them to the shallows of a rocky bay where their ships were grounded upon the sharp rocks. With no home to return to, the sailors chose to settle in this newly-found land, and use the remnants of their vessels to begin construction of a city.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/EoFF/gridania.jpg

In the eastern reaches of the Aldenard landmass, home to vast, dense woodlands and coursing rivers, lies the forest nation of Gridania. The cityscape is a mosaic of labyrinthine waterways and great wooden structures, so gracefully constructed they seem a part of the surrounding environment.

The Gridanian emphasis on natural harmony has led to its preeminence among the Eorzea's city-states in trades such as forestry, agriculture, carpentry and leatherworking. Gridania is also the home to the Wood Wailers, a militant band of polearm-wielding sentries charged with the protection of their homeland.

The favored goddess of the citizenry is Nophica, the Matron, but great faith is also placed in the wisdom of the Seedseers -- young oracles who guide the nation based on the will of the forest's elementals.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/EoFF/uldah.jpg

The bustling commercial hub of Ul'dah sits amid the desolate desert landscape of southern Aldenard. The city is organized strategically around the dome-shaped citadel at its center. Its towering fortifications and protective outer walls are visable for malms in all directions, and serve as a stark deterrent to would-be besiegers.

Vistors from every corner of Eorzea come to Ul'dah to partake in the city's famed recreation, most notably the fighting arenas and gambling halls. Ul'Dahn Culture is known for its affluence, and the wealth of the nation comes in large part from abundant mineral resources and prestigious clothcraft industry.

So which one do you think you'll pick as your starting city? Windurst 2.0? Bastok 2.0? Windurst was always my favorite town in FFXI, and Gridania just looks beautiful. But I love the waterscape of Limsa too. For sure I know I'm not picking Ul'dah.

Rye
07-29-2010, 01:36 AM
So pretty. =O I'd pick Limsa.

Bunny
07-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Are there pictures of actual in-game representations of the cities themselves or any larger concept art? Based on those pictures, and the stories about them, I would probably pick Limsa Lominsa, it has the most interesting back story to me.

Has it been revealed how starting cities will work in Final Fantasy XIV? I never played Final Fantasy XI, so I'm not sure how they functioned there. Do you choose a race and starting city yourself or are the cities themselves based on what race you choose (like in World of Warcraft)?

I should probably read more about this damnable game since I'm probably going to buy the collector's edition -_-

Ouch!
07-29-2010, 03:22 AM
You can pick your starting nation independent of your race. In FFXI there was a bonus level one ring awarded to players who selected the starting city which corresponded to their character's race, but no such item has as of yet been announced for FFXIV.

I honestly have no idea which I'll be choosing. Ul'dah or Gridania are in the lead, though.

Del Murder
07-29-2010, 06:12 AM
I really like Limsa Lominsa. Also Windurst 2.0 looks pretty nice.

Rantz
07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Ooh, I love all three of those. I wish I could see them in-game. If I ever play, I'll probably pick Gridania. It looks so homey.

Madame Adequate
07-29-2010, 12:53 PM
From the information here, I'd have to pick Limsa.

Octavious
07-29-2010, 01:47 PM
*jumps on the Limsa bandwagon*

xXsarahXx
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Gridania for me :D
I love Windy in FFXI so will be going for the 2.0 version lol

Loony BoB
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Will it be set so that you can only do City A's missions if you're from City A? I mean, as in helping other City A people do theirs... do you also have to be a City A resident? If so, I'll pick whatever the majority of you lot go for, probably. :p

Goldenboko
07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't like navigating Limsa's bridge design, despite it's beauty. Ul'dah seems cool, however where I end up may ultimately depend on a few friends and a few EoFFers.

Ouch!
07-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Will it be set so that you can only do City A's missions if you're from City A? I mean, as in helping other City A people do theirs... do you also have to be a City A resident? If so, I'll pick whatever the majority of you lot go for, probably. :p
Final Fantasy XI was much that way; certain battlefields in the different nation storylines could only be accessed by other people who were either on or beyond that battlefield as well.

That said, many of the missions were the same in each storyline regardless of which nation you were from. Also, in their most recently released missions (the three mini-expansions), players were able to enter a battlefield regardless of whether or not they had cleared the pre-requisite missions and other qualifications. People could help their friends do the A Crystalline Prophesy final fight even if they hadn't purchased the expansion; the only catch was that in-so-doing they did not receive completion of the battlefield until they cleared the preceding missions (and then they must also repeat the battlefield). I imagine (or at least hope) Square Enix will keep this model for FFXIV.

Loony BoB
07-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I know people can help - but do they have to be of the same nation (or in this case, city) to come along with you on your mission, that's what I'm wondering. As far as I remember, only people of Bastok could help me do the Bastok missions. I think. Maybe. >_> Was Weiner from Bastok? If so, I think everyone who helped me on my missions were always from Bastok (Weiner, Shawtiie, Smitzy, Krim).

*Devore*
07-30-2010, 02:05 PM
I'll go for Gridania, I love cities that have been embedded into forests. It always looks beautiful. Also, I've decided to be the wildwood Elezen race and I'm sure that Gridania will be their city.

Ouch!
07-30-2010, 05:34 PM
I know people can help - but do they have to be of the same nation (or in this case, city) to come along with you on your mission, that's what I'm wondering. As far as I remember, only people of Bastok could help me do the Bastok missions. I think. Maybe. >_> Was Weiner from Bastok? If so, I think everyone who helped me on my missions were always from Bastok (Weiner, Shawtiie, Smitzy, Krim).
I'm not exactly sure where I was unclear that my explanation is causing confusion, but I'll try and explain it a bit better.

For nation missions, Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, and Wings of the Goddess, you can only help someone on a given mission if you have also cleared the requisite missions yourself (or are beyond that mission). I had a friend help me with a Windurst mission who was a Bastok citizen, but he was able to do this because he had switched nations and completed all missions for San d'Oria, Windurst, and Bastok. It's not nation allegiance that restricts the ability to enter a battlefield; it's entirely dependent on one's own progress.

The add-on scenarios (A Crystalline Prophecy, A Moogle Kupo d'Etat, and A Shantotto Ascension), on the other hand, allowed anyone to help anyone else with a mission regardless of their own progress. So long as one person has completed the requisite missions and has clearance to enter a given battlefield (for example, the final battle for A Crystalline Prophecy), anyone else in his party may be invited to enter the battlefield to help. However, upon victory, only the individual(s) who have actually progressed that far in the mission storyline will receive clearance.

My hope is that FFXIV follows the latter model. This would allow anyone to enter any mission battlefield regardless of their own progress in the missions and assist their friends.

NeoCracker
07-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Ul'Dah for me, it seems like it would be the funnest city to run around, as well as it seems like it will be the more interesting culture of the three.

McLovin'
08-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Ul'Dah seems interesting to me. A big city is what I like. But I'm not really diggin these names. They could have named some of them after past FF cities :p

Loony BoB
08-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Ah, that's what I thought you meant, Ouch, just wasn't sure. I'm really keen on the latter option too, but will play it safe by still going with whatever most of the people here are going to go with, probably. Hopefully at least Lev will be on the same city as Danielle and I as we're more often than not on at the same time when doing this sort of game. =]

Laddy
08-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Ul'dah seems beast!

Levian
08-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Ah, that's what I thought you meant, Ouch, just wasn't sure. I'm really keen on the latter option too, but will play it safe by still going with whatever most of the people here are going to go with, probably. Hopefully at least Lev will be on the same city as Danielle and I as we're more often than not on at the same time when doing this sort of game. =]

I was thinking the same thing. Some cities look more appealing than others, but in the end what has most meaning to me is being able to do stuff with my friends. Which is why I'll pick whichever city you, Danielle and most other EoFFers end up with.

Aydin
08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I love them all. Quick question. Does your character start off with a bonus item when it starts you start in the city your characters race was meant to start with? (The rings in FFXI)

Ouch!
08-10-2010, 01:37 AM
I love them all. Quick question. Does your character start off with a bonus item when it starts you start in the city your characters race was meant to start with? (The rings in FFXI)
Not so far as we know. The starting items seem to be bonuses from redeemed codes (the goggles or onion helm depending on whether or not you buy the CE) and the asuran gauntlets if you redeem a code from FFXIII.

Jibril
08-13-2010, 05:20 PM
ul'dah reperzent

ljkkjlcm9
08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
So I officially pre-ordered this game on Amazon. I never played FFXI, but I'm highly interested in this, and I'd much prefer getting into an MMO and only paying 15 dollars a month instead of spending 100-200 getting multiple games.

Not sure what city I'll pick, but I would like to party with some of you all! Jack</>el looks forward to the adventures!

THE JACKEL

Mirage
08-21-2010, 04:26 AM
fu jibril
we should start in gridania