PDA

View Full Version : What the Hell Arc Rise, what the hell?

NeoCracker
08-03-2010, 07:26 AM
So, I've barely played, and it seems interesting so far. Battle system is pretty simple, nothing to unique, though now you may asking where the 'what the hell' comes from.

Well, the line of dialogue, 'The devil must have beat his wife." was spoken. Now, I ask you, what the hell? I know what it means given it's basically explained in context, but does anyone who hasn't played this yet have any Idea what that means? :P

Edit: Alright, story wise, I'm starting to take issue fast. Not so much of bad plot, as there hasn't been much wrong, it's more the actual actions taken by the characters so far are just plain odd.

And the dialogue ranges from 'decent' to painful.

Raven Nox
08-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I had a similar reaction to that line. L'Arc was like "What? You've never heard that expression before?" to Ryfia, like it's a common expression or something. xD It was weird. Maybe it is common for some people, but I had never heard it before myself.

It's a fun game though, even if the dialogue is a little off sometimes.

NeoCracker
08-03-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm going to play for a while longer, I just hope the story gets good, and the characters get interesting.

As cool as the weapon system is, the rest of the system isn't great enough to carry this through bad story telling.

Raven Nox
08-03-2010, 08:45 AM
They slowly add new things to the battle system as it goes on. The problem is the normal battles are super easy while the boss battles can get pretty hard if you're not fully prepared for them. So the boss battles are about the only times you'll really need to do more than attack.

The story gets more interesting later on, though it doesn't really do anything new. It's solid enough. It's mostly the awful localization that brings it down.

NeoCracker
08-03-2010, 08:48 AM
They slowly add new things to the battle system as it goes on. The problem is the normal battles are super easy while the boss battles can get pretty hard if you're not fully prepared for them. So the boss battles are about the only times you'll really need to do more than attack.

The story gets more interesting later on, though it doesn't really do anything new. It's solid enough. It's mostly the awful localization that brings it down.

Don't forget the ear raping VA's. :p

I didn't expect a truly unique story, as long as it's decent and bearable, I'll enjoy the game enough. :p

And it's good to know they are going to expand more on the battles.

Raven Nox
08-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Haha, well, I was kind of lumping the VA in with that comment too. xD There are a few characters that do have decent acting, but it doesn't really make up for the rest of them. xD

JKTrix
08-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I mentioned this (in a spoiler) in a prior thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/133196-last-story-vs-xenoblade-vs-arc-rise-fantasia.html), but the game hadn't really started out with the greatest pedigree. Each game from the Japanese developer has turned out derivative and mediocre, and the localization company has a history of poor/awkward localization. Both trends are in full force in this game, from what I've experienced. Though perhaps the best thing about the localization is that you can, in fact, turn the voices off.

The game itself isn't half bad. It's just like it's trying hard to hit all the main points of what it thinks a JRPG should be, and that's all it aspires to. So I guess it's kind of honest in that regard.