PDA

View Full Version : Salad

Rye
08-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I can't eat lunch at my work's cafeteria anymore, which sucks because it was 2 dollars per Au Bon Pain meal that consisted of a half sandwich, salad or soup - you could have two of any combination, which is a really good deal for the price. My friend found a bug in their salad, so it's ruined for me forever. No more. I can't even eat their sandwich anymore.

It's probably a good thing because a salad and a sandwich is too big of a meal for lunch anyway and I'm getting back into my diet now that I'm not terribly ill anymore. I'm going to brown bag it and just bring one salad to work everyday for lunch.

What do you put in your salads when you prepare your own?

I like...

Lettuce
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Chopped red onions
Lots of pieces of chopped up bell pepper
A few little pieces of grilled chicken

Basically, a cob salad. When I'm good, I use calorie free dressing. I will lose another 10 lbs or bust!!!

Madame Adequate
08-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Cucumber
Lettuce
Tomato
Red and green pepper

A dash of salt

No other condiment is acceptable, especially not your DIARRHEA.

Shlup
08-04-2010, 01:21 AM
I like a "spring mix" of lettuce and spinach, cucumber, onion, craisins, red grape halves, feta cheese, and a fruity balsamic dressing. And black pepper.

Rye
08-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Huxley, what are you TALKING ABOUT XD

I like Italian Vinegarette salad dressing.

Aurey
08-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Oh man, when I was in NY for a few days last year I pretty much ate Au Bon Pain every breakfast and lunch. There was no bug in anything, fortunately. Good soups and coffee.

I pretty much put any vegetables I have sitting in my fridge in my salads. Nothing fancy. If there is not enough lettuce I peel a bunch of carrots to add with it. No longer use dressing at all. I need to start making my own vinaigrettes, the store bought dressings and vinaigrettes just don't cut it anymore.

Also currently obsessed with orzo salads. My favourite: cucumber, tomato, feta, red or green onion, some bell pepper, a little olive oil, lemon, and oregano dressing, and a tonne of feta and black olives... delicious.

missaira
08-04-2010, 02:07 AM
lettuce
tomato
capsicum (red + green)
carrot (sticks, not peels)
cheese cubes
beetroot
...and that's about it. never been a huge fan of salad.

Raistlin
08-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Lettuce, onion, red and green peppers, sometimes carrots, and this Greek dressing a college friend got me hooked on (I hate most salad dressings).

fire_of_avalon
08-04-2010, 02:36 AM
I love salad more than I love Bruce Willis (that's a lie.)

My salad consists of:
field greens
spinach
a liiiiiiiittle lettuce
cucumbers
carrots
tomatoes
broccoli
sometimes squash or zucchini
a bit of cheese
grapes
black olives
croutons
some type of dressing
sometimes a bit of diced ham or turkey

YUUUUUUUUUUUUM. But that's just a basic salad. Fruit salad is, of course, a whole 'nother story.

Shorty
08-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Spinach
Tomatoes
Onions
Avocado
Parmesan cheese
occassionally croutons

and either poppyseed, honey mustard, or sweet onion dressing. Absolutely the best.

Miriel
08-04-2010, 03:30 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/Screenshot2010-08-03at60004PM.png

Epic salad of epicness: baby romaine, butter lettuce, wild arugula, carrots, cucumbers, red onions, croutons, candied pecans, grilled flank steak, balsamic vinaigrette.

Not exactly a typical salad. Usually don't eat salads with meat in it. I had another salad last week that was also delicious: baby spinach, dried cranberries, candied pecans, cucumbers, and a raspberry vinaigrette.

Shoeberto
08-04-2010, 04:16 AM
I make a salad that I find to be delicious, though most might find it boring.

It's just a typical garden salad: lettuce, carrots, red onions, with shredded cheddar cheese, croutons and Italian dressing. I used to never be a salad eater, but now I have them fairly regularly since I found one that I like!

Vermachtnis
08-04-2010, 04:28 AM
My sa lad has porkchops, bacon, steak, more bacon, chicken, a double down, hamburgers, and a crouton.

Momiji
08-04-2010, 05:02 AM
I like putting fruit on my salad! Strawberries and raspberries both work really well.

As far as the more typical ingredients go, I love spinach over lettuce, and I also like carrot, tomato, egg, and cheese. Pecans and almonds are nice, as well. I'll throw other things in occasionally, too.

I absolutely despise any sort of dressing, though. Eww.

I Took the Red Pill
08-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Lettuce, carrots, onions, banana peppers, black olives, grilled chicken, cucumber, Itialian dressing, Parmesan Cheese, bacon bits are an occasional guest to the party

Laddy
08-04-2010, 05:23 AM
I dun liek salad.

NorthernChaosGod
08-04-2010, 05:24 AM
My sa lad has porkchops, bacon, steak, more bacon, chicken, a double down, hamburgers, and a crouton.

/thread

Peegee
08-04-2010, 05:29 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ldah__-frBM/S6dyMtU-yrI/AAAAAAAADj0/27pDjWdfwSA/s320/500SaladsCover.jpg

I bought this book! It's very nice :p

What I like in my salads is some sort of meat. So I'll put baby spinach, shrimp, orange slices, and something for flavor, like Vinaigrette

Fujiko
08-04-2010, 05:43 AM
SALADS = LIFE! :love:

I like to experiment and try different mixes, but I don't like raw onions. At all. :|

Clo
08-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I make myself little Greek salads, possibly with or without chicken: lettuce, olives, cherry tomatoes, peppercinis, feta cheese and Balsamic dressing!

I hate croutons.

Breine
08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Whatever I have around, really. I'm not at all picky. I also like to mix some fruit in it - e.g. apples and nectarines are good.

Oh, and I love feta cheese!

Rye
08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Goal accomplished! I made myself enough salads to last me a work week, for just a few pennies over $10, which is how much I pay for a week's worth of food at work. And these salads are much bigger than the ones I get at work, and fresher. Yum yum yum! Salad spinners!

Shiny
08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Romaine lettuce or baby spinach
Cherry tomatoes
Banana peppers
Bell peppers
Grilled chicken if I feel like having meat with it
Cucumber
Garlic croutons that aren't too hard
Black or green olives sometimes (depends on what dressing)
Zesty Italian, Catalina, French, Thousand Island, or Caesar dressing
And before I was lactose intolerant, feta cheese

EDIT: Oh, honey mustard dressing too :drool:

Zeldy
08-05-2010, 01:08 AM
You all have some crazy salads. All I ever have is ice-burg lettuce, beef tomatoes, cucumber and sometimes spring onion. Add lots of mayonnaise and that's my salad.

Jessweeee♪
08-05-2010, 01:21 AM
I don't like meat in my salad. Fried shrimp is okay as long as there's lots of dressing.

Laddy
08-05-2010, 03:12 AM
I hate salad, but I especially hate salad that mixes fruit and meat.

Rodarian
08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Caesar Salad for me with Chicken (no bacon)

Christmas
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
As long as it is green enough and the color matches is fine by me! But everything turn out to be the same when you poo them out though! :bigsmile: