PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Fire - the Suburbs

Pete for President
08-04-2010, 11:25 AM
It's out, Arcade Fire's third full-length! And I like it, but it's hard to not compare it to Funeral, which IMO is absolutely legendary. It does seem to be getting better with every listen though!

I especially like the experimenting with different rythms that are quite hard to figure out (like Modern Man). Some tracks have kind of an 80's feel to it (Sprawl II for example) which need a little getting used to, but once you do it's awesome.

There is one big thing I'm missing though; backup-vocals. On several tracks on Funeral and Neon Bible every bandmember sings. This gave those songs incredible power and made them really heartfelt. I think there are some tracks on the Suburbs which would be perfect for every member to sing along (the verses in Rococo for example) but they don't, and it feels kinda like a missed chance.

Anyway, so far Empty Room and Sprawl II are my favourites.

What about you?

Discuss!

charliepanayi
08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
On the first few listens, it's sounding great - especially City With No Children and the brilliant Sprawl II. It's certainly different to Funeral (one of the best debut albums ever) and Neon Bible (an album I liked but which tends to get people arguing). Can't wait to give it further listening.

Love them anyway, great band :)

Rantz
08-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Ooh, I didn't know they had a new album. I will give it a few goes and get back to you :-)

Breine
08-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Arcade Fire is a great great band. I haven't listened to their new album yet, but I can't wait.

Shorty
08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I had no idea they were out with another album! Arcade Fire is the best. I've got a long road trip ahead of me, so it's a perfect time to get acquainted with it.

Trumpet Thief
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I, as well, had no clue that the Arcade Fire had a new album. I youtubed a few of their songs, and saw weird titles like "Month of May" and "Ready to Start", and assumed they were just old tracks I had missed.

After listening to "The Suburbs", I have to say, I absolutely love it. Funeral will always remain at the top, but damn does this album come close. It's just got so much heart in it! :D

And Sprawl II is my favorite track. It's as if the whole album builds up to this song, and Regine's singing is just phenominal.

JKTrix
08-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Never heard of these folks before, but I'm watching their concert on YouTube live right now.
YouTube - ‪ArcadeFireVEVO's Channel‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/arcadefirevevo?feature=ticker)

Necronopticous
08-06-2010, 04:25 AM
It's aight.

Inferno
08-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Had my first listen a few minutes ago and I already love it. They're grrrreeeaaat

Rantz
08-06-2010, 07:02 PM
It's no Funeral (yet) but I love it already, so we'll see how well it grows on me. :D Sprawl II is definitely the high point of the album, it's amazing.

Stecloud
08-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Still getting used to it, but liking it more and more with every listen. Don't think it's going to top Funeral though, because that is just amazing.

Pete for President
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Bought tickets for the Arcade Fire in the Philipshalle, Germany. It's gonna be quite a road trip, but probably worth it even though I've already seen them live this July, but I just seem to get enough of em!

Anyway, after 20 or so spins of the Suburbs I must say the darker tracks get to me the most. Half Light I, Deep Blue and Sprawl I & II are now my favourites. To me they seem to have the most heart and story in it, even though I didn't think they were that special when I first got the album.

Empty Room makes me want to sing out loud and go wild.

Songs I skip most of the time are City With No Children In It and Wasted Hours. Kind of logical, cause they're quite cheerful compared to the rest of the album and I tend to like darker songs better.

One other missed chance I've noticed is that some songs lose their power towards the end of the song. Most notably Month of May and Ready to Start.

PeneloRatsbane
08-12-2010, 09:25 PM
I love the new Album, Its pretty different to Neon Bible, I think its more like Funeral but still unique in that great Arcade Fire way. Loving "We used to wait"

Pete for President
08-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Got it on vinyl!:choc:

http://c0013454.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_24b8d19