PDA

View Full Version : New Mana games (sort of)!

Bastian
08-05-2010, 09:49 PM
A trio of games called Memories of Mana are being released.

The first one was released last year:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7716/mom1d.jpg

The second one was just released recently:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3082/mom2d.jpg

And a third one comes out in the future.

Here's the trailer for the second game:
YouTube - ‪Moghunter777's Channel‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/user/Moghunter777#p/u/3/RdVkCahxj-w)

Okay, they're fan games.

BUT!

They are FAR better than some of the recent official offerings from Squeenix. They are a direct sequel to Seiken Densetsu 3 and feature the same graphics for the most part and nearly the same battle system. They are also surprisingly well-written (they don't come off as fanfic, but feel fairly true).

The problem? They're in Portuguese.

So I've taken it upon myself to translate them. I'm starting with the second one first because that one is unencrypted and easilly doable. I'm about a third done. I'll keep you posted when it is available in English.

You can download them in their original Portuguese at MogHunter's site. (http://www.atelier-rgss.com/Project/Mana/Project_Mana_Story.html)

I doubt it, but has anyone here played them yet?

Laddy
08-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Sounds neat. :o

Bastian
08-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm so bored out here in the country that I am chugging along on this translation project.

I'm now halfway done! I suspect I'll be able to release the translated version within a couple weeks.

Del Murder
08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
These look pretty sweet. Too bad I never played Seiken Densetsu 3. I was always waiting for an official US release and it never came. :(

Bastian
08-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Del, Del, Del. I know we don't mention the illegal E word around here, but you need to with SD3. An official version isn't happening. At least not anytime soon. The fan translated version is amazing. And the replay value is super high since there are countless party (and thus story which equals boss) combos. Do it!

The Man
08-07-2010, 06:20 AM
whoa, these look awesome. Do let me know when you're finished translating them please.

And yes, agreed on SD3 - if you like the Mana series at all you pretty much have no excuse not to play it.

Bastian
08-09-2010, 11:56 PM
The deed is done!
Memories of Mana 2.exe (http://www.mediafire.com/?x5but2zgzq0peej)

I know I said it would take weeks or whatever, but just call me Scotty.

Actually, it's not 100% done. I can't find the Item/Weapons/Armor/Skills descriptions ANYWHERE in the programming to translate. Not that they really matter (I'm sure everyone knows what a Round Drop does, yes?) so I've contacted MogHunter to point out where to find that stuff, because they're not in the usual place (nor the ten other stranger places I looked) so . . . I hope you don't mind that too much. If he gets back to me so I can fix those, you can upgrade to that newer version and simply keep your same save file and all will be well.

I haven't played it through yet. I'm working on translating Memories of Mana 1 right now. So I'd really, REALLY appreciate it if someone could play through pretty quickly and send me screenshots of any weird typos or anything. It's even totally possible that I could have missed entire lines of dialogue due to how RPG Maker XP games are set up. So don't be surprised if you come across a Portuguese line or two, just please take a screen shot of it and send it to me.

Hope you all have fun!

Now to travel backwards in time and work on Memories of Mana 1. . .

The Man
08-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Am I going to apply this to an existing SD3 rom or is it going to install something from scratch? And if the former, which version? (edit: oh nvm, you mentioned it's an RPGMXP game so it's probably self-contained)

I'll get to playing this in the next few days though.

Bastian
08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, as you already figured out, it's not a rom patch, but a game created in RPG Maker (although, the extensive extra programming that the creator did to make it play like a Mana game far exceeds the "just an RPG Maker game" stigma).

So, no, you need nothing but the file itself.

Which reminds me:
I heard back from MogHunter and was able to find and translate the last bits that I couldn't find in the game (he hid them in a very strange way to avoid cheating, ha!) so I have a new version for you all:
Memories of Mana 2.exe (http://www.mediafire.com/?x5but2zgzq0peej)

I've also started on translating the first game and am about a third done. If you want to hold off on playing Memories of Mana 2 until after Memories of Mana 1, you won't have long to wait. Probably two weeks at the most, but really probably only about a week.

The Man
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
cheers, I might just do that then since it turns out I'm going to be kind of busy this week anyway.

Christmas
08-12-2010, 02:14 AM
Wow! This is awesome and thank you so much Bastian for translating the game! :kaoclove:

But I got a "Potentially Dangerous Download Warning" from my anti virus software when I tried to download it. :(

Bastian
08-12-2010, 02:39 AM
But I got a "Potentially Dangerous Download Warning" from my anti virus software when I tried to download it. :(

Hm. That may simply be because the program is unfamiliar to the anti virus software. I seriously doubt that there is anything malicious. I scanned it with my two separate anti virus programs just in case since you mentioned that, and came up with nothing.

Bastian
08-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Just a heads up:
I expect to have Memories of Mana 1 translated by tomorrow or the next day. Plan your schedules accordingly.

I put in a 12 hour day on it yesterday because. . . I don't know why. Some form of OCD, I think.

The Man
08-15-2010, 12:42 AM
whoa, thanks

Christmas
08-17-2010, 06:21 AM
rgss102e.dll could not found

:(

Bastian
08-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Both Memories of Mana games are now translated into English for your enjoyment!

Memories of Mana 1:
Memories of Mana (E).exe (http://www.mediafire.com/?8j5sbe5fucb3u5d)

Memories of Mana 2:
Memories of Mana 2 (E).exe (http://www.mediafire.com/?o31dpgvt83jou4w)

EDIT: Christmas! Sorry! I'm not sure what that's about, but the version listed above does not have that issue. Try the new version? But while you're at it, start with the first game! :D

EDIT: Updated urls for both games, as I redid some textual graphic stuff, nothing major.

The Man
08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
sweet, thanks. I'll probably get started on these this weekend.

Del Murder
08-18-2010, 05:16 AM

I got that issue too, but since I never played SD3 I didn't try to resolve it. I just wanted to try it out for a taste. :)

Bastian
08-18-2010, 05:38 AM

I got that issue too, but since I never played SD3
DEL! Go play SD3! Right NOW!

I didn't try to resolve it. I just wanted to try it out for a taste. :)
I've tested out the current version I posted yesterday and it doesn't do that on my laptop. Please let me know if the current versions of MoM1 or MoM2 do.

Hehe. Mom. Reminds me of Futurama.

Roogle
08-20-2010, 08:15 AM
I am surprised that a full game was made as a fan production by one of the RPGMaker series.

A completed fan product is a rare breed, and I am surprised that it was only available in Portuguese until now.

I hope that you advertise this to other fans of the series on other forums so that they have the chance to experience a similar game to the older Mana series.

The Man
08-20-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm probably going to post about at it at a few other boards I frequent myself.

Bastian
08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I am surprised that a full game was made as a fan production by one of the RPGMaker series.
Well . . . "full" implies 30-60 hours of game play. Each of these games is probably about 10-20 I'm guessing. As there will be three of them, I suppose each of these three games is a third or so of one "full game."

I hope that you advertise this to other fans of the series on other forums so that they have the chance to experience a similar game to the older Mana series.
I don't belong to any other Final Fantasy forums. Are there other major FF forums out there? I did post about it on the Mana site I frequent (seikens.com . . . which I think is the only English forum devoted to Mana) and a German Mana forum.

The creator of the games is very well-known in the RPG Maker community around the world, and he's posting the English versions on his site, so that's good. :)

Has anyone started playing them yet?

Del Murder
08-20-2010, 09:05 PM
What would be the best way to play SD3? Find a translated SNES rom? Is there a 'best' translation?

The Man
08-20-2010, 09:49 PM
There's only one translation as far as I know. If you want I can PM the patched ROM to you.

Davias
08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for translating this project, bastian
Good Job!

Some things I've encountered so far:

The Second Game only goes ingame when i copy some dll data from the first game into the folder, than it works good.
I've not played very long but some things aren't translated. In the first game there are this messages when angela goes to a screen (like the one were the god-beast is early in the beginning, this dragon fiegmund) and the cat talks with her and all is in portugiese.

Bastian
08-21-2010, 08:10 PM
The Second Game only goes ingame when i copy some dll data from the first game into the folder,
That was true of the first version I posted, but I think that's fixed as of a few days ago.

In the first game there are this messages when angela goes to a screen (like the one were the god-beast is early in the beginning, this dragon fiegmund) and the cat talks with her and all is in portugiese.
If you mean when Angela encounters the Cat in the very beginning of the game, yes, I'd missed that in the first version I posted, but it should be fixed in the current version. I'm not sure what the other part you're talking about is; can you explain it again? Thanks so much for your help! :D

Davias
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I mean the scene where angela tries to go through that blocked path in the woods, where an image of the first boss appaers and when she must first search for the first book and before she defeated the first boss.
And sometimes when angela cannot go further ( change a screen ) and says something about that it is also not translated. I found it out while i wandering the Woods in the Beginning after the first dungeon. And in the first city a boy and the man by the lake are speaking also in portuguese.
I only played a little bit and i will look to find other not translated texts in the game.

Anyway i really appreciate your work on "Memories of Mana" and I follow your progress on your own project "Dawn of Mana-Remake" on the seikens-board, it is a very big project.
This games are a lot truer to the old style of sd1, 2 and 3. The other new official games lack the epic stories and wonderful worldbuildung of the old games and "Memories of Mana" brings it back to us!

Bastian
08-22-2010, 03:46 AM
I mean the scene where angela tries to go through that blocked path in the woods, where an image of the first boss appaers and when she must first search for the first book and before she defeated the first boss.
And sometimes when angela cannot go further ( change a screen ) and says something about that it is also not translated. I found it out while i wandering the Woods in the Beginning after the first dungeon. And in the first city a boy and the man by the lake are speaking also in portuguese.
I only played a little bit and i will look to find other not translated texts in the game.
Thanks so much! Geeze I missed a LOT! After tracking down the things you mentioned I found several other similar overlooks. I hope that's the last of them! Thanks again for finding and reporting those! :D Please let me know of any others you find!

I follow your progress on your own project "Dawn of Mana-Remake" on the seikens-board, it is a very big project.
Oh! I didn't know you were over there too! What's your name there?
Yeah, the Dawn of Mana remake is coming along slowly but surely.

This games are a lot truer to the old style of sd1, 2 and 3. The other new official games lack the epic stories and wonderful worldbuildung of the old games and "Memories of Mana" brings it back to us!
MogHunter did a fantastic job, didn't he? And it's not just on his Mana games. He's inherited the whole XAS (action rpg maker) project and is responsible for the whole engine and the new upgrades.

EDIT:
Here's the new download link with those missed translations fixed.
Memories of Mana (E).exe (http://www.mediafire.com/?8j5sbe5fucb3u5d)

Davias
08-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Thank's for the update, bastian.

I've searching the boards about seiken densetsu every now and then for something new. I'm from germany and since I played Mystic Quest on my Game Boy ( Final Fantasy Adventure ) I'm a big fan of the series. Final Fantasy has never gripped me like the story about the mana tree.
I didn't like the new mana games after sd3 very much and I hope for a good editor to make a adequatley game of my own because I haven't enough time to play around with something like the RPG maker.
The editor SOMEDIT looks very good and the guy who is working on it hasn't given up this wonderful project.

Bastian
08-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Davias, are you the same who did the NPC rips of the Secret of Mana sprites?

Anyway, as someone here mentioned, there is a problem with Memories of Mana 2's dll file. If you copy/paste the one from Memories of Mana 1, it works fine. I will have an updated version available soon with this fixed.

Dignified Pauper
09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
So, someone tell me why I should play these... How is the story, and are they worth it.

Bastian
09-10-2010, 05:19 AM
The story is as good (or better than) the original SD3, in my opinion as English translator. So I'm a bit biased. And certainly better than Children of Mana.

The gameplay follows SD3 pretty closely without being redundant. It really does feel like an official SD3 sequel (to me at least) rather than a fan game.

My only complaint about Memories of Mana is that the second part revisits so many of the same areas from the first part that it's almost like playing the same game with a different story. Or, I suppose, it's sort of like what it's like to play SD3 a second time with different choices for your three characters. However, puzzles and such have been changed so THAT keeps you guessing at least.

TrueWhiteBoy
12-17-2010, 09:54 PM
This thread is the reason I just joined this forum (Hello everyone).

Based off of the gameplay video I watched I'm not sure, but maybe someone here can elaborate since it's been out for a while now (hope there aren't rules about bringing back threads from the grave).

Does this game support multiplayer?

Vyk
12-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Whoa, I musta missed this thread in one of my extended absences. I think I have SD3 on my PSP, but like Bahamut Lagoon, and Rudras War its just one of those games I never really got around to. But this project and your dedicated translations seems like an awesome accomplishment. Kudos

Bastian
12-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Alas, no multiplayer in these two games. It is possible that the third game in the trilogy may have multiplayer. At least that's what I got from MogHunter's (the creator) vague hint. We'll have to wait and see.

As for translating them... I'm honestly surprised I was able to get those done so quickly. Yay for having been unemployed back then. There's no way I could do that now. Haha. Right time and right place and all that. Of course, I'll have to make time for the third one when it comes out.