PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40,000 SpaceMarine

Iceglow
08-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Trailer here (http://www.spacemarine.com/#/en/trailers/)

I saw a vid-doc about this on xbl today (well thursday) when chatting to Psy and was surprised there isn't a thread here for this already. I have to say the interview with Relic as to what SpaceMarine will be and how it will play was very interesting even if Relic are keeping the cards to their chest on this very tightly. The artwork is very reminiscent of Dawn of War which is no bad thing at all, the only grievance I would give is that Orks can grow bigger even than a Astartes in full plate armour :( However I get why the scale here favours the Astartes.

Basic premise is that you play an Ultramarine captain sent in with a company of battle hardened brothers to save a forge world from Ork invasion pending a relief campaign by the Imperial Guard the gameplay is going to be very gears like 3rd person shooting and then opening up in to 3rd person hack and slash fluidly as you bring the chainsaw out to slice and dice with style (I want to see an epic river of blood and body parts in this!) The only major break from the traditional Gears style 3rd person shooting is that they've taken cover out of the game, you're an Astartes for christs sake, you're the most badass thing humanity can breed and you don't need cover you are cover! I have to say, Relic are making it which is fantastic, I have generally always enjoyed Relic games and if anyone can pull of a 40k 3rd person game it's Relic. It's also looking pretty good going by the early trailer work shown on the site. This could be epic regardless of whether you're a warhammer fan or not, I just hope theres co-op :D

No word yet if it's comming to the PS3 or PC (though the game information on the site says console gamers) but I would definitely assume based on the OXM report on it I watched earlier there is definitely a 360 release comming.

So who else is excited for this?

Game Homepage (http://www.spacemarine.com/#/en/home/)

Skyblade
08-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm not really. I've tried one of the Warhammer 40k series (Dawn of War II), but wasn't too enthralled with it. The writing just seemed dull, even for an RTS. I didn't care about the world, the characters, or the story. The gameplay had a couple interesting twists, but still wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Besides, if Starcraft: Ghost, and Command and Conquer: Renegade teach us anything, it's not to trust shooter spinoffs from RTS games.

Iceglow
08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Besides, if Starcraft: Ghost, and Command and Conquer: Renegade teach us anything, it's not to trust shooter spinoffs from RTS games.

It's not a spin off to an RTS game and theres a whole host of reasons why: Firstly the storyline has nothing to do with Dawn of War except the universe it's set in. The Dawn of War games follow a chapter of Astartes known as the Blood Ravens a relatively new chapter, the Ultramarines are one of the eldest chapters and one of the most elite, in fact they wrote the rule book for Astartes combat. (Astartes = the correct terminology for a SpaceMarine or rather the plural, Astarte being the singular) Secondly, anyone who does some research in to the stories set in the 40k universe knows that they're not always in chronological order. For example, the Horus Heresy, one of the most famous and popular book collections and still in the process of being written are set 10 millenium prior to the 40k game in the 31st millenium. Also the Gaunts Ghosts books come several hundred years after the Eisenhorn, Ravenor (and when they're written and released the final trilogy in the inquisitor series) trilogies but feature reccuring characters such as Inquisitor Heldane who comes up first in the Eisenhorn books (chronologically) but dies in the first book of Gaunts Ghosts (in terms of publishing, Gaunts Ghosts book 1: First and Only came out around 2/3 years prior to the occurence of the publishing or even writing of Eisenhorn's trilogy) all are written by the same author but other series never mention them, in fact the galaxy is so vast some characters who are true heroes of the imperium never meet they just know rumours of or legends of each other. In fact the universe of Warhammer 40k is so vast that frankly apart from people like Calgar the chapter master of the Ultramarines or Azrael chapter master of the Dark Angels theres a lot of opportunity to just invent a character to suit a story, even the Astartes chapters number over a thousand and not all are documented (which is what allows players to make their own chapters up) not to even begin with the near infinite number of planets for imperial guard to come from. To claim a game based on 40k would be a spin off from what was after all a mere tiny speck in the greater scheme of Warhammer 40k's universe is rather silly because if you realize that Dawn of War 1 was in fact something like the 6th or 7th warhammer 40k computer game all of which are totally unrelated to the others except by virtue of having taken place somewhere inside that vast universe which not even a true fan or it's creators could ever hope to map completely. You would see just because it has something to do with Relic and therefore features their very awesome stylistic approach as seen in Dawn of War this game has nothing to do with Dawn of War.
[/rant of a warhammer 40k fan]

Seriously, this game looks interesting even if you aren't a 40k fan imho mainly because well, who does not want to be a walking breathing 7ft tall superhuman in extremely tough armour wading in to the enemy with a frigging chainsaw?

Skyblade
08-06-2010, 03:55 PM
It's not exactly the new story or characters that's the problem. They are taking a well developed and loved series, and shifting to another play style. They've made an RTS that people love, but that doesn't mean they're capable of making a decent shooter. Fitting the systems that have worked in the RTS into a new playstyle might not work. And no matter how pretty it looks right now, I don't think you should get your hopes up yet.

And, yeah, you don't need to tell me about the vast lore behind the Warhammer 40k universe. Though I've never gotten into it, I work in a bookstore, and I've seen that section. :D

NorthernChaosGod
08-06-2010, 06:37 PM
This looks really badass, I would definitely check this game out. 40k is the :bou::bou::bou::bou: and I can't wait to put a stomp on da Orks.

I Took the Red Pill
08-06-2010, 09:43 PM

It's not a spin off to an RTS game and theres a whole host of reasons why: Firstly the storyline has nothing to do with Dawn of War except the universe it's set in. The Dawn of War games follow a chapter of Astartes known as the Blood Ravens a relatively new chapter, the Ultramarines are one of the eldest chapters and one of the most elite, in fact they wrote the rule book for Astartes combat. (Astartes = the correct terminology for a SpaceMarine or rather the plural, Astarte being the singular) Secondly, anyone who does some research in to the stories set in the 40k universe knows that they're not always in chronological order. For example, the Horus Heresy, one of the most famous and popular book collections and still in the process of being written are set 10 millenium prior to the 40k game in the 31st millenium. Also the Gaunts Ghosts books come several hundred years after the Eisenhorn, Ravenor (and when they're written and released the final trilogy in the inquisitor series) trilogies but feature reccuring characters such as Inquisitor Heldane who comes up first in the Eisenhorn books (chronologically) but dies in the first book of Gaunts Ghosts (in terms of publishing, Gaunts Ghosts book 1: First and Only came out around 2/3 years prior to the occurence of the publishing or even writing of Eisenhorn's trilogy) all are written by the same author but other series never mention them, in fact the galaxy is so vast some characters who are true heroes of the imperium never meet they just know rumours of or legends of each other. In fact the universe of Warhammer 40k is so vast that frankly apart from people like Calgar the chapter master of the Ultramarines or Azrael chapter master of the Dark Angels theres a lot of opportunity to just invent a character to suit a story, even the Astartes chapters number over a thousand and not all are documented (which is what allows players to make their own chapters up) not to even begin with the near infinite number of planets for imperial guard to come from. To claim a game based on 40k would be a spin off from what was after all a mere tiny speck in the greater scheme of Warhammer 40k's universe is rather silly because if you realize that Dawn of War 1 was in fact something like the 6th or 7th warhammer 40k computer game all of which are totally unrelated to the others except by virtue of having taken place somewhere inside that vast universe which not even a true fan or it's creators could ever hope to map completely. You would see just because it has something to do with Relic and therefore features their very awesome stylistic approach as seen in Dawn of War this game has nothing to do with Dawn of War.
[/rant of a warhammer 40k fan]

Seriously, this game looks interesting even if you aren't a 40k fan imho mainly because well, who does not want to be a walking breathing 7ft tall superhuman in extremely tough armour wading in to the enemy with a frigging chainsaw?
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/azzezino/greaterwall.jpg

I don't have much interest in the game.

Madame Adequate
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Bah, Ultramarines. White Scars 4 lief.

I ever tell you boys about the time I was playing Dawn of War and, completely without knowing they existed in canon, I created a custom legion which I named the White Scars, and gave it their canonical symbol? It was pretty cool.

Not overly interested in this though, I'll check it out I expect but I would rather have a new Space Hulk style game than yet another standard shooter. Or another Shadow of the Horned Rat, oh man that was some classic :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Blood for the blood god! :mad2:

http://nivlemspeaks.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/blood-for-the-blood-god.jpg

Iceglow
08-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Yeah Julian well I got the answer to that:

http://www.gobiel.com/sonsofruss/motiv/images/1208984704505-26000823.jpg

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Hahaha, shut the fuck up.

:colbert: