PDA

View Full Version : I really wish that people would stop describing things they hate as "GAY"!

MJN SEIFER
08-07-2010, 01:17 AM
You know how it works; "Oh this film is GAY!", "This show is GAY!". Why is it gay? I really don't get why Gay has to be an insult. I don't know what actual gay people feel about it (I'm straight myself), but I just find it stupid. Can't they just say it's crap or it's S*** or something? Why they have to give it sexuality is just beyond me...

champagne supernova
08-07-2010, 01:27 AM
I know gay people who call things they dislike 'gay'.
But get your general point.

Old Manus
08-07-2010, 01:45 AM
It's the same as calling things 'retarded' but gays have the presence of mind to decide to be offended

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2010, 01:53 AM
This thread is gay. :colbert:

Crop
08-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I say it all the time without thinking, it's nothing to cry about.

Bunny
08-07-2010, 03:01 AM
I wish they would too, considering it makes absolutely no sense. Gay is used to describe things that are happy or bright, not things you dislike. I wish people would learn how to use words properly.

Clo
08-07-2010, 03:44 AM
I dislike this use of the word "gay", and I discourage it's use by the people around me. It's negative, and implies that gay is a bad thing, since the use is a reference to homosexuality and not "happy" or anything.

I even dislike when people make a comment and say, "No homo, no homo." Because we really should not be caring about these kind of things. Although, I work with LGBT-related things constantly and I know many other LGBT people who say "gay", and argue in defense of its use.

Though, I do say retarded. And I work with autistic kids. So, I guess I'm a hypocrit! I really should stop saying that. :(

Raistlin
08-07-2010, 04:27 AM
I have done it before, but only ironically. And usually around gay friends.

I agree that people who do it a lot seriously are being dumb.

Laddy
08-07-2010, 04:49 AM
I hate it as well!

Rad Bromance
08-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Every gay person I know calls stuff they don't like gay.

Winter Nights
08-07-2010, 05:04 AM
It's a word. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2010, 05:04 AM

If they can do it, I can do it.

Raistlin
08-07-2010, 05:15 AM
I really hope you're just mocking the typical oblivious argument about why everyone should be able to say "nigger." So just because Shlup lets me call her a fat whore, any stranger can call her that?

Wait, bad example...

Jiro
08-07-2010, 05:52 AM
I don't use either 'gay' or 'retarded' like that these days. Probably have used both back in the day. Although I do call things gay ironically when hanging out with any homosexual friends (those that do it as well though).

Shlup
08-07-2010, 06:07 AM
It only bothers me if the person using the word is actually bigoted against homosexuals. Other than that it's just being a dork. I do it from time to time, though I prefer fag. Probably because that word is easier to evolve away from referring to homosexuals, while gay will probably be a synonym for homosexual for a good long while. The South Park episode about the word fag was fabulous.

Retarded I use regularly. I don't give a :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I mean, all those words go down the same path. We've done the same thing with idiot, moron, and now special.

Rad Bromance
08-07-2010, 06:09 AM

If they can do it, I can do it.
That's honestly how I feel about it. Same with "nigga", "retarded", and "lame", all of which I also use regularly in casual conversation among friends.

The politically correct elite can go to hell. ;)

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2010, 06:13 AM
I really hope you're just mocking the typical oblivious argument about why everyone should be able to say "nigger." So just because Shlup lets me call her a fat whore, any stranger can call her that?

Wait, bad example...

:lol:

Anyway, I'll do whatever I want. :p

rubah
08-07-2010, 06:28 AM
I think it's ret... I think it's dum... I think it's lam..

Fortunately, words like moron, dumb, lame, are no longer commonly used to refer to a specific kind of person.

Unfortunately, words like nigger, retard, and gay are still commonly used to refer to a specific kind of person, who has feelings and may not like to be continuously belittled.

So basically, I agree with MJN Seifer. Your words are your own choice, however, but there's no reason to use them carelessly.

Raistlin
08-07-2010, 06:40 AM
I should qualify that I have absolutely no problem using the most vulgar, offensive words (along with jokes, phrases, physical expressions, etc.) casually among friends. Like Shlup said, these things are bad when they're used in a derogatory fashion. But they're fine when used light-heartedly around friends whom you know will not take offense. It's all about context, really. And that's something most people seem to miss (especially the "if they can say it, so can I" crowd).

Rodarian
08-07-2010, 08:39 AM
I wish they would too, considering it makes absolutely no sense. Gay is used to describe things that are happy or bright, not things you dislike. I wish people would learn how to use words properly.

Seriously I find it such a conundrum that people use that word inappropriately.. You can use any other word that can aptly describe a poorly done movie but to use gay is simply well......Done out of poor vocabulary skills

blackmage_nuke
08-07-2010, 08:52 AM
re·tard
   /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈritɑrd for 4/ Show Spelled[ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
–verb (used without object)
to be delayed.
–noun
a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.

Retarded is perfectly reasonable as an insult

Anyway I try not to use gay but when other people do I throw this joke out there:

Them: "That book is gay"
Me: "Hey! Theres nothing wrong if that book wants to have sex with other books, I for one support same text relationships!"

edit: In case anyone was thinking it dont try to use my justification for "retarded" as a justification for "faggot", calling something a bundle of sticks makes little sense as an insult, calling something slowed makes somewhat more sense.

Christmas
08-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Crap and S*** have four letters, while gay only had 3 letters. So people tend to go for the short one! Like how people dun bother to say F*** anymore and just go "I'll *F* you till you pee blood and your *A* burst open with flowers and *S*!" :bigsmile:

Short and simple is the way to go! :bigsmile:

Laddy
08-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Off Topic: When I was in Wales with some school friends, we stayed in a small village for the night and befriended some kids our age there. Some really attractive Welsh guys came up and asked if we had any fags with us. I did all I could do to not raise my hand in enthusiasm. :bigsmile:

boris no no
08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
sometimes I know it's bad to say it but I do anyway. It's like, do you hear anyone use the word gay for happy anymore? Words change meaning, sometimes for the worst but it happens.

PeneloRatsbane
08-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I figure it just means three things now
Gay=Happy
Gay=Homosexual
Gay=Lame

but yeah its not very nice but i think it just gets in to vocabulary and its just comes out. I do say it but I don't mean it in a "i think gay people" are bad way, thats just wrong and horrible!

Mirage
08-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I can't understand people who use "gay" about things they dislike. I mean it used to be used for things people liked, why can't we all go back to that?

"No homo", however, is awesome.

Iceglow
08-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Describing things you hate as gay is really like gay!

Raistlin
08-07-2010, 05:30 PM
"No homo", however, is awesome.

No.

Cuchulainn
08-07-2010, 06:42 PM
never used it, don't like it being used.

boris no no
08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Describing things you hate as gay is really like gay!
gay

Breine
08-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I should qualify that I have absolutely no problem using the most vulgar, offensive words (along with jokes, phrases, physical expressions, etc.) casually among friends. Like Shlup said, these things are bad when they're used in a derogatory fashion. But they're fine when used light-heartedly around friends whom you know will not take offense. It's all about context, really. And that's something most people seem to miss (especially the "if they can say it, so can I" crowd).

YES! Raistlin speaks the truth.

Rye
08-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Yus.

Rase
08-08-2010, 12:07 AM
That's why I use ghey. Totally different.

Bunny
08-08-2010, 01:43 AM
this thread is gay
the people posting in this thread are gay
this forum is gay
general chat is especially gay
laddy is super gay

Laddy
08-08-2010, 03:13 AM
laddy is super gay
Hey, tops are gay too. :love:

Bunny
08-08-2010, 03:48 AM
is that some sort of gay talk that i won't get because i'm not gay?

Laddy
08-08-2010, 03:52 AM
is that some sort of gay talk that i won't get because i'm not gay?
It's more like pillow talk. :jess:

Raistlin
08-08-2010, 03:56 AM
Bunny: I think it means he wants to see you naked.

Bunny
08-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Back to the psychologist I go!

Madame Adequate
08-08-2010, 04:13 AM
whining is gay u guize

Bunny
08-08-2010, 04:14 AM
o hai i'm my own GAY

Madame Adequate
08-08-2010, 04:19 AM
u mad?

Bunny
08-08-2010, 04:37 AM
the maddest

NorthernChaosGod
08-08-2010, 04:40 AM
this thread is gay
the people posting in this thread are gay
this forum is gay
general chat is especially gay
laddy is super gay

You stole my post. :colbert:

Shiny
08-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Okay, GAY SEIFER.

champagne supergay
Old Gaynus -- aternatively Gay Anus
NorthernChaosGay
Gayny
Gaystlin
gaybuh
Rad Gaymance
Gayrian
Gaymas
PeneloRatsgay
Gayglow -- sounds like some sort of glam rock band
boris gay gay
Laddy

The gayification is done.

NorthernChaosGod
08-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Do I really have to do this for you? The proper way to gay up my name is NorthernGayAssGod. :colbert:

Raistlin
08-08-2010, 06:02 AM
GAY SEIFER.
NorthernChaosGay

MJN Gayfer.
NorthernGayassGod.

EDIT: Hah.

Shiny
08-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Oh I forgot, Winter Gays as opposed to summer gays. They're very different.

escobert
08-08-2010, 06:05 AM
This thread is gay.

Inferno
08-08-2010, 07:55 AM
boris gay gay
Hahaha

boris no no
08-08-2010, 10:12 AM
boris gay gay
Hahaha

This has made my day :love:

blackmage_nuke
08-08-2010, 10:46 AM
boris gay gay
Hahaha

This has made my day gay :love:

oddler
08-08-2010, 12:03 PM
We should also stop using suck since its usage insinuates that oral sex is gay. :choc2:

blackmage_nuke
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
We should also stop using suck since its usage insinuates that oral sex is gay. :choc2:

Probably applies for saying something 'blows' too

Psychotic
08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
When Moon Rabbits sees this thread, you guys are all totally dead.

Until then

HA HA HA, FAGS.

NorthernChaosGod
08-08-2010, 03:51 PM
When Moon Rabbits sees this thread, you guys are all totally dead.

Until then

HA HA HA, FAGS.

I approve.

Rodarian
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
On a side topic... Who came up with the term Lesbian....

Is it because lesbians come from the word Lesbo, which was an island mostly of women....

when I first heard it. I thought it was some type of lemon fruit....

Oh and Bunny sounds a lot more gay than Moon Rabbits.....Was there there switch of usernames....

Rase
08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
It came about in the 1590s and was used to mean "pertaining to the island of Lesbos," a Greek island in northeastern Aegean Sea that was the home of Sappho, a lyric poet whose erotic and romantic verse embraced women as well as men. This evolved the meaning to "relating to homosexual relations between women" by 1890, with lesbianism being used in this sense from 1870. It was first recorded as used as a noun in 1925.

Hooray Etymology Online.

Bunny
08-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Oh and Bunny sounds a lot more gay than Moon Rabbits.....Was there there switch of usernames....

I know, right? Maybe I'd be nicer if I were gay.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-08-2010, 08:15 PM
It's a word. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

That's pretty naive thing to say. Words are very powerful things.

As for using "gay" as synonymous for things one finds "silly", "stupid" or "lame", I get annoyed but it really depends on the situation and the people. People who use it in almost every sentence need a better vocabulary, or utilize the one they have more efficiently. Bigots and homophobes who say it, I get pissed because they are fully agree with the implications of their words. As for other people, I don't mind if it only an occasional thing, it doesn't really bother me. On occasion, I will pretend it bothers me just to see them squirm but I will soon after reassure them that everything is cool.

I only say something is "gay" if it relates to homosexuality, or often ascribed to it. Sometimes I will use it to mean "happy" too.

Rodarian
08-08-2010, 09:21 PM

I know, right? Maybe I'd be nicer if I were gay.

No :|.....You'd be a lot more of a queen than anything...:peachdance:

Rantz
08-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Is it because lesbians come from the word Lesbo, which was an island mostly of women....

rodarian is the new....

wait for it....

.... sephirothishere.........

Rodarian
08-09-2010, 07:00 AM

rodarian is the new....

wait for it....

.... sephirothishere.........

Now THAT'S gay! :jess:

Peegee
08-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I never know what to do when I feel offended (there are things that set me off) - unless somebody's deliberately trolling me they're exercising their free speech right (except in Canada where you don't have free speech), and if they are trolling me they are deliberate in their intentions so I could feel offended if I wanted bc that's the point.

For example, I figure Yarbles is tired of my categorization of 'his' sexuality, even if I am jesting. Would I expect the same from people who offende me, even by mistake?