PDA

View Full Version : Working on my car

Masamunemaster
08-08-2010, 09:12 AM
So I will admit, I am not good at working on cars unfortunatly:(. Recently I have come to the conclusion that the only people I want to work on my baby(1986 Monte Carlo) is limited to very few people, none of the "mechanics" around town. I was wondering what is a good place to get parts and/or help on working on it?

Laddy
08-08-2010, 09:15 AM
I have no earthly idea. :(

Jiro
08-08-2010, 09:31 AM
First thing's first would probably be to tell people where you live so they can find things near you xD

boris no no
08-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Sounds weird but go on ebay - my friend did his car up buying stuff there.

NorthernChaosGod
08-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Haha, you don't trust the local mechanics? You're going to either have to find some fairly knowledgeable friends or colleagues or just suck it up and find a good mechanic.

There's really not much else you can do.

Rodarian
08-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Is there a local club for monte carlo fanatics? Maybe you should surf the net as well for club listings....

Raistlin
08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Your best bet is probably to find a local car enthusiast/collector/dealer and ask him.

Shlup
08-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a vagina.

escobert
08-09-2010, 12:34 AM
I have a vagina.

I'm glad you figured that out and I hope this helps him fix his car as I'm sure it will.

NorthernChaosGod
08-09-2010, 02:13 AM
I have a vagina.

Yes, yes you do.

Laddy
08-09-2010, 02:27 AM
I have a vagina.
I might as well.

Raistlin
08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
I have a vagina.

Are you recommending he go there to work on it? I know it's gotten pretty big over the years, but I would still suggest alternatives.

fire_of_avalon
08-09-2010, 03:38 AM
What kind of issues are you having? The best thing to do probably is get to know more about common issues with your year, make and model to see if your car has any of them. I would google it to see what you can find. Furthermore, try to learn to identify certain sounds and smells your car makes so you can know a little more about what mechanics are talking about, and so you don't get duped.

rubah
08-09-2010, 03:42 AM
make friends with the local mechanical engineering students.

Bunny
08-09-2010, 05:17 AM
What kind of issues are you having? The best thing to do probably is get to know more about common issues with your year, make and model to see if your car has any of them. I would google it to see what you can find. Furthermore, try to learn to identify certain sounds and smells your car makes so you can know a little more about what mechanics are talking about, and so you don't get duped.

I have a vagina.

At least we know who has use past genitalia now.

Rodarian
08-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I have a vagina.

Are you recommending he go there to work on it? I know it's gotten pretty big over the years, but I would still suggest alternatives.

You just made my day! XD

Masamunemaster
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I have a vagina.

haha....well if thats not pwnage idk what is.

But recently every time I turn my radio on it will have trouble starting when I have to use my lights, or when I hit the lights when its on the radio will restart. I thought it may be a loose wire but I have no idea, and I know its not the battery wires as I just changed them.

Also I live in East Tennessee if that helps

fire_of_avalon
08-11-2010, 02:03 AM
What part of East TN? I live in Western NC, lol.

That could be a couple of different things. It's most likely that your batter is older and dying out. When a battery starts to die like that, your alternator will divert power to the more necessary functions. For example, if you're braking for a traffic light while your radio is on and your radio dims out or goes off completely because the alternator is diverting electrical power to your ABS braking system. Get yourself a voltmeter and check the charge on your battery. It might need charging.

Alternatively it could be a wire grounding out or your alternator, but an alternator is least likely. Usually they either work or they don't. My guess is your battery is dying. You can usually get them checked at automotive stores for free, if you don't have your own voltmeter.

Masamunemaster
08-11-2010, 04:28 AM
My battery is new though....my stepdad bought me one for my bday about a month ago. My friend also thinks my starter belt is off a little or something(he isnt that bright lol) because every now and then when I shut it off the motor will still turn over, and I can turn the key to the on position and it will start right back up.

I live about an hour from Sevierville and Knoxvile