PDA

View Full Version : Your best teacher

Cid
08-09-2010, 05:34 AM
In honor of my annual return to the classroom on Wednesday (and Shlup's never ending search for a job), tell me who your best <b>high school</b> teacher was, what subject they taught, and why you liked them so much.

Bunny
08-09-2010, 05:45 AM
I have two and I cannot remember either of their names because I am absolutely horrid with names. They were my world history teacher and my US history teacher, both of which I had in different semesters of my junior year.

The first was, technically, a student teacher but he had complete control over the classroom because the actual teacher was close to retiring. He was extremely personable, knew a lot about the subject, and genuinely cared about his students. He adopted a sort of "no student left behind" idea and would help students who were having difficulty with the subject matter in a one-on-one session if they needed it. He was also pretty lax with the assignments and didn't give out too much homework.

The other teacher was a giant of a man but very friendly. His teaching style was a bit more rigorous and he gave out a significant amount of homework, classwork, and group work but it was all fairly easy to manage because of how much material he could go through in one class. The best part about it though was he was a civil war memorabilia collector and brought a lot of his stuff in throughout the semester for us to look at. He fired a rifled musket in class (without a bullet) and it freaked my English teacher out.

Both of them are responsible for my significant interest in history and one of the reasons I am studying to become a history teacher myself.

Shlup
08-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Why did you have to specify high school teacher?? High school sucked. My favorite teacher was my third grade teacher. ...And your wife's third grade teacher, now that I think of it. That was the year Kim and I played the lead in the class play together. Except she was the only one with lines because I was her as a bird. But I practiced my "CAW" like you don't even know.

For high school, I'm going to either go with Dr. Lachman or Ms. Mapes for opposite reasons. Dr. Lachman because I never forgot scientific notation and the only music he would play was Jingle Cats in the winter and banjo music the rest of the year (read: he was strict and had high expectations but wasn't an ass), or Ms. Mapes because I talked about Sailormoon instead of the actual topic for my presentation and got an A, and then our final was to watch Hercules. The Disney cartoon one (read: we didn't do :bou::bou::bou::bou:). Maybe Mr. LeDuc. Were you in that class? I remember sitting with Peter and Leah and I think you... Or that long-term sub we had for 11th grade language arts, but mostly because he was totally hot. Or Ms. Spivey because she actually was a good teacher and fun and had a lot of animals, but I was her TA so that doesn't really count.

I forget what school you're at now, but if it's Roosevelt one of my friends is starting there for biology.

I'm torn between just taking whatever teaching job, specifically going for kindergarten, going back to add a math authorization to my credential, working at Disneyland (I'm wait-listed for an opening in guest relations right now), or just saying screw everything and embracing housewifery.

I Took the Red Pill
08-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Calculus teacher, senior year, by a fucking landslide. I disliked math until I took Pre-Calc with him in 11th grade and Calculus with him in 12th grade, but after that it was easily my favorite subject, and Calculus I was probably my favorite class I've taken in high school or college to date. He just made everything so clear and made sure you understood it, so that by the time the AP test rolled around it was an absolute joke. I'm majoring in mathematics at this point and I'd say mostly due to him. He was also my varsity volleyball coach and easily the best coach I've had in any sport. I consider him an all-around mentor :-)

Vikeve
08-09-2010, 05:56 AM
I would have to say Mrs. Lubitz my history teacher or Frau Kalacheva my german teacher.

Lubitz is generally the best and got very involved in working with me and is still helping me with the whole college process. She is like a mentor and hopefully I'll have her again next year!:)

Frau because she is a crazy Russian woman who makes us dance and sing really weird songs.... love that class!

G13
08-09-2010, 06:05 AM
My favorite would be my 9th grade English teacher, Mr. Carasco. He had a great energy when teaching, you could tell he really liked what he did. We had great class discussions and he made even the most boring of assignments interesting. The thing that really sticks out in my mind is when he'd try to motivate us with a lyric or a quote. It never had anything to do with what we were doing or talking about.

"In the words of John Mayer, 'I want to run through the halls of my high school, I want to scream at the top of my lungs'," *claps his hands once* "Okay!"

"In the words of my father 'It takes one to know one'," *claps his hands once* "Alright!"

Funny stuff. I'm not really sure if he was actually serious or just messing around.

Cid
08-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Why did you have to specify high school teacher?? High school sucked.

I only specified it because I'm a high school history teacher (yeah, at Roosevelt) and this is all just an exercise to see what good teachers do. Gotta get inspired before the beginning of the year.

What can I learn from someone saying that their 3rd grade teacher was their favorite? I can't remember anything my 3rd grade teacher did. And all people must be like me.

Shlup
08-09-2010, 06:13 AM
You can learn that nothing you do will ever be good enough because all of your students are pissy teenagers.

Marshall Banana
08-09-2010, 06:42 AM
My favorite teacher was a history teacher I had a crush on until I met Necronopticous. Coincidentally, he looked a lot like Necronopticous.

I remember him having a good sense of humor.

Levian
08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
My sociology teacher was real good, he always pushed boundries and tried to find new ways for us to learn. The theme for the year was violence, and especially violence in gangs, and instead of just having us read a textbook, he took us to the prison in Norway where all the murderers end up, and we watched A Clockwork Orange and One Flew over a Cuckoo's Nest. The lessons where mostly just all of us debating various topics as well. It's one of the few subjects where I've actually wanted to learn something I wasn't interested in to begin with.

My Geography teacher was awesome as well, he was always just so enthuastic about everything and he took the time to know all the students. Sometimes that's enough.

In middle school, which I suppose is equivalent to some of the early years of high school, my favorite teacher was my history teacher. The lessons were mostly boring with just reading and such, but his pop quizzes and test layouts were the best.

boris no no
08-09-2010, 07:43 AM
My German teacher Mr Bannister. So awesome. He had to cut a foot of his hair off for the job... his hair was halfway down his back still!
Plus his mate worked at Kerrang mag (when it was good) and we used to get free mags now and again! :D
Plus he was effing amazing

Rodarian
08-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I had taken up an extra courses in english and math.. I had two of the hottest teachers around. They were babe worthy! Ms. Dina and Ms Tara...:drool:

Laddy
08-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Don't you dare make me choose.

Breine
08-09-2010, 09:31 AM
My philosophy teacher in High School was really cool. His name's Michael, and he had long red straight hair that he'd wear in a ponytail. He was young too (probably around 28 or something), and was really laidback, easy-going and had a lot of humour. He was really into music too, and was obviously a big rock fan. My girlfriend at the time, who had him as her Danish teacher, was one day in a second-hand shop and randomly found a CD he'd recorded (no one had ANY idea that he'd done his own music, let alone released CDs) with instrumental rock xD

I also remember him actually lending me and my friend (who was also in his philosophy class) some money for concert tickets we really wanted. We'd found them online and none of us had our credit card with us, so he just paid for them using his card, without us even asking him. We, of course, paid him back the next day.. but seriously, that was way cool.

Of course he was a good teacher too!

Mo-Nercy
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Good ol' Mr. Hannon really made history come alive. He was an excellent teacher that really knew how to engage kids. He was one of those 'pop quiz' kind of teachers, but everyone who'd had him was always interested enough in whatever he had been teaching to be right on the ball and ace 'em.

He was also the coach of the first grade rugby team. Not so good at that, though. xD

Jiro
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Mrs Hansen, English for grades 8, 9, 10. She was short and lovely and supportive and actually encouraged study. It had been a long time since I had a teacher like that so it really helped me do as well as I did at High School.

Oddly enough a lot of Mo's points relate, with such a similar last name.

missaira
08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
ms blake, my year 8 and 9 english/study of society teacher. loveliest person on the face of this planet, she was.

also, mr muchow, my year 10 science teacher and camp group leader dude. he is hilarious, one night decided to put eels in my best friend's and my canoe. we retaliated by stealing and hiding his car keys in my sleeping bag :p
e

Aerith's Knight
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
My best teacher I think was my Physics teacher. He was always so enthusiastic and most of all supportive. He thought I was really going to make it big in that world, sadly, this has yet to happen. :p

Rye
08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
My psychology teacher. He taught us in unconventional way, such as showing us videos like The Breakfast Club and clips of Donnie Darko. He had an interesting style - he was really into 1800s fashion, especially their facial hair fashion. So he always dressed like that.

He was really honest too. He talked to us about his wife's depression. He was really cool and nice.

Laddy
08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm gonna do it anyway.

My 9th grade English teacher, Mrs. Munoz. A 47 year-old woman of awesome. I first entered her class and she was playing Muse loudly and talked the first day about video games. Woman was awesome. When some kids stole my Health book she took it upon herself to totally pwn them personally. Very funny woman.

My Theatre Arts teacher is just as cool. She offered to go shopping with me because she said I had amazing fashion sense. She said I would be truly great one day, and that I'm very special. She wishes her son would grow up to be like me. :love: She was hilarious too.

oddler
08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
There was a Mr. Stuart who taught math. He was easily my favorite mainly because of his ability to relate the subjects to life situations. I think he did a great job of helping his students to understand what he was explaining. Plus, he had a super sense of humor! :choc2:

Mo-Nercy
08-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Honourable mention ought to go to Mr. Choy who used to make use vacuum his classroom whenever we forgot to do our homework... or he just felt like it. Many a lunchtime was wasted when I had him for maths. He was a funny guy though, with a real twisted view on life.

razorrozar7
08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I was always way ahead of the classes in high school... so my favorite teacher would have to be Mrs. Harvey, who was about the only one who recognized that and didn't assign me random extra crap to do when I finished something two hours before anyone else. I beat Phantom Hourglass in that class. :D

Mo-Nercy
08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah, handheld consoles in class were awesome. The GBA SP was made for use in schools. Mr. Hannon (see first post) once caught me playing in history but eased off on the punishment when he realised it was Advance Wars. The animated warfare to history class link was tangible enough for him to keep me back after class - not to punish or scold me, but to ask me whether it was a good game for him to buy for his niece. xD

razorrozar7
08-09-2010, 02:46 PM
That guy sounds incredibly awesome. Wonder if that would work when playing Trauma Center in Sports Medicine...

Loony BoB
08-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Hard call to make. I think I can narrow it down to two or three. In order of them teaching me...

1. Mr. Kronqvist - He was the neatest quiet teacher I knew. He would make silly jokes in his foreign accent once in a while but for the most part was pretty humble. Everyone loved him anyway because of his accent and because he didn't ever get angry, just joked along and reminded people to get back to work. He got respect because he never was angry, ever. And he gave me a merit award for giving him cookies when I bought a pack of biscuits to school and gave him a few. :D "I'll let you keep eating if you give me some!" Ahaha, what a guy. It was amusing bringing that merit award in to my home room teacher. Oh, and he taught Geography, in case you were wondering.

2. Ms. Leigh, later Mrs. Wright, aka Mrs. Wrong - The amount of banter I had with this teacher was immense, and it was fun because we both had turns at winning. I think she taught me Geography for two or three different years overall. I found her really awesome. Unlike Mr. Kronqvist, she was prone to the odd bout of anger and stress, but she was far more talkative than he was and we had a lot of fun taking the piss out of each other for a good few years. A teacher I wouldn't mind catching up with someday purely because you know she's always good for a chat.

3. Ms. Holloway (I think that was her name) - A teacher that a lot of people hand banter with but for the most part I didn't dare - she was scathing and lightning quick with her wit and insults. Brilliant because of this. And Australian to boot, which made our Physics class even more amusing (we had people from Germany, England, South Africa, NZ, various Polynesian Islands, China, Cambodia, and others). I've never heard so many tongue-in-cheek racist jokes made in one class, but it was great because it was a small class and everyone did it to each other and didn't mind. And she would never lose in a battle of wits, always with a quality comeback that would result in a load of laughter from the rest of the class... taking her on was basically asking to be embarrassed. :p Although every now and then she would resort to chasing Hamish around the class with a meter ruler as he yelled "No miss! Miss! Leave me alone! AAAARGH! It's coz I's black, ain't it?" (he's not, for what it's worth).

Fujiko
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
The best high school teacher I had was my math/physics teacher, Kurt; he was so good at teaching and explaning, and so passionate about maths and physics, that I ended up loving physics and maths even more than I already did. He was always so helpful and I always looked forward to his classes. Always. Also, he's such a smart person he was known as Delta Kurt. :radred:

AAAAAAAAAAND, we share the same birthday! :D Every year on the 11th of December we'd wish eachother a happy birthday. He was so awesome~

Note: That's my fav HS teacher though, not my all time fav teacher.

Peegee
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
In grade 11 we got a new computer teacher - Ms Greco, who eventually got married but kept her teaching name for professional purposes. Ms Greco was hopelessly undertrained for what she had to teach, but she made up for it by being 5'0 and very attractive. So much so that she usurped the economics teacher as hottest [female] teacher of the school.

Now that I'm thinking of high school teachers I think my school was taught by a bunch of showboating exhibitionists. My grade 9 english teacher constantly teased the class with flashes up her skirt when she crossed her legs, for example.

I blame the teacher, not myself for noticing. Yes.

rubah
08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
mr. cato was my math teacher for four years. He was cranky and made us apply ourselves as much as any high school teacher could. He suffered under restrictive state guidelines, and had a wonderful façade of a grumpy child-hater.

Peegee
08-09-2010, 07:39 PM
mr. cato was my math teacher for four years. He was cranky and made us apply ourselves as much as any high school teacher could. He suffered under restrictive state guidelines, and had a wonderful façade of a grumpy child-hater.

You failed math 4 times? What kind of asian are you?

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

ARGH

Clo
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I will be your children's best teacher.

Now let's see if anyone has the budget to hire me in 9 months.

Inferno
08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
What do you teach !? ... How to party ?

Peegee
08-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Can you teach me to be a better pg? asl clo ? ^_^

Clo
08-09-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes, I will be certified in Party Education 5 -12. I don't get pissed when student's forget their homework, but when they forget their party hat and dancing shoes.

Rantz
08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
He taught Religion, Sociology and Psychology. He was my favourite because he harboured favouritism for me, but he was discreet about it so that people didn't hate me for it. He also gave me top grades in all his classes and a written recommendation when I joined a professional network site.

Uh, I mean, my favourite high school teacher is you, Cid. You inspire me. That's what you really wanted to hear, wasn't it?

Raistlin
08-09-2010, 09:16 PM
My favorite high school teacher was my AP English teacher. She was a very passionate person and teacher and really encouraged my own critical thinking. There were no lectures or hand-raising; each class was a conversation (and occasional intense debate) among equals. She was a bit crazy (believed in ghosts and was very "spiritual" in a intutional, "think with your heart" sense), but I still loved her. One of our summer reading assignments for 11th grade AP (I took it 11th and 12th grade) was <i>Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy</i>. We also watched Monty Python's <i>Life of Brian</i> and <i>Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead</i>. She knew me better than any teacher I had, and her college recommendations ended up being my top choices.

Not quite high school, but I also have to give a special mention for my 7th and 8th grade English teacher, who was by far the best middle school teacher I had. She would push me more than anyone and did not put up with nonsense. A significant portion of my class hated her and resented her harsh grading, but I really liked her. She was also hilarious, and would talk about notable <i>Daily Show</i> episodes. On her desk she had a little pot which stated on one side "Ashes of Problem Students."

Iceglow
08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
High School teachers... would have to be one of 2.

Either Ms Ridyard my history teacher, she was awesome and quite hot to boot. She used to allow me to get away with doing my homework during class because I would still be fast enough to keep up with the actual class work too. She actually had an argument with my Geography teacher at the end of year 9 over what subject I would take for GCSE. I took Geography in the end because my interest in history is pretty much ancient history and GCSE history is modern history which really doesn't appeal to me nearly as much. Still kinda regret that choice somewhat since Geography is actually totally useless for me apart from the fact that I can actually read a map properly.

The alternative was Miss Cross the music teacher, she was hot and she didn't know it and yet wore some of the best outfits to work, seriously music classes are a lot more interesting when your hot teacher doesn't realize when she leans forward to watch what you're doing on the keyboard her awesome rack is in your full view. IF she did realize that then well I have to thank her for providing a teenage boy with a whole lot of spank bank material.

Peegee
08-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I find it hard to believe that nobody else had milfs or tilfs in HS :aimmad:

razorrozar7
08-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I did. However, there are other qualities to which I attach more value in a teacher than eye-candy-osity.

Peegee
08-09-2010, 10:55 PM
I did. However, there are other qualities to which I attach more value in a teacher than eye-candy-osity.

I don't follow...like you mean if the teacher is male but you are also male but not gay?

razorrozar7
08-09-2010, 11:40 PM
>_<

Like... the teacher's actual teaching ability. You know, what they're PAID to DO.

Jowy
08-10-2010, 12:58 AM
my AP language and literature teacher in high school is one of the greatest men i've ever met. the class was difficult; all of us received a failing grade on our first project which made us realize that this was something we were going to have to work towards. by the end of the year, I applied myself more than I ever have and managed to get the highest overall grade on our final project out of anyone in both of his classes.

black orb
08-10-2010, 01:16 AM
>>> All my teachers were awful, specially the ones from high school..:luca:

The Man
08-10-2010, 01:16 AM
probably either my AP calc teacher or my AP English Language teacher. The former was just consistently hilarious and took time to help any student that had trouble understanding the material, while the latter used every opportunity to encourage students to think critically and mediated a number of interesting discussions. Of the social science teachers I've had I'd say the two best did likewise, but I had them in university.

razorrozar7
08-10-2010, 01:24 AM
<div style="font: 16px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee; text-align: justify;">probably either my AP calc teacher or my AP English Language teacher. The former was just consistently hilarious and took time to help any student that had trouble understanding the material, while the latter used every opportunity to encourage students to think critically and mediated a number of interesting discussions. Of the social science teachers I've had I'd say the two best did likewise, but I had them in university.</div>

This is another thing, Peegee, that's more important than whether your teacher gives you a hard-on or not.

I intend to stand by that no matter who tries to refute it.

Bunny
08-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Congratulations, you can't take a joke.

razorrozar7
08-10-2010, 01:54 AM
I can too take a joke. Peegee was serious.

...I think.

Shiny
08-10-2010, 07:26 AM
I have 4 favorites from High School. My U.S. History teacher from Sophomore and Junior year was very pompous, yet very funny and eccentric. He made the subject very interesting and fun with the projects he'd come up with. He would say things like, "I don't want to sit in the front of a movie theater because I don't want to hurt my neck and I don't want to sit in the back because I don't want to get an S.T.D." And then there was my Senior year English teacher, but it took me a while to warm up to her. I liked her more towards the last two marking periods where she taught a special film based English. It was interesting talking to her about all sorts of things. She was very open-minded and very interested in abstract thinking.

Then there was another History teacher from Senior year named Mr. Stack who is this short little bald man with rage problems. It's so funny. He'd basically lift people out of their chairs. He was completely no b.s. with whatever he said and quite often the discussions were about race and things like that. Class with him was never uninteresting. And then there was my Pre-Calc teacher who was not the best math teacher I've had, but I just thought highly of her as a person because she committed, and still commits a lot of her time to humanitarian causes.

All of these teachers were great not solely for their personalities, but for their hands-on learning that required a bit more effort than just pulling lessons out of a book. Granted, even when they did just lecture, they some how found a way to wove their own stories in to make things like the Magna Carta actually seem remotely intriguing.

Jiro
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I can too take a joke. Peegee was serious.

...I think.

Lesson 1: PG is never serious. Except when he is, which is when you should just pretend he's not serious. This is the art to survival desu

Old Manus
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
My school was a knife-addled rape shed in the slums which couldn't afford the decent teachers with their shoestring budget, so I can't think of many. My Head of Year was the standout individual though. He was this big bloke in his mid sixties who taught woodwork and metalwork. He was genuinely a nice guy, who somehow managed to know how every pupil in his year (over 300 people) was doing in every subject, and if you were underperforming in some area he would make a point to come find you, and (sometimes in not the softest terms) get you back on track. My friend and I got caught wandering through town one lunchtime (looking for a decent meal, as our canteen was absolute :bou::bou::bou::bou:e) and were sent to his office.

He wasn't in his office, and when we found him, he had actually been looking for us, as he had found a textbook that he thought might help my friend with his DT coursework. He looked genuinely sad about what we'd been doing, and said he'd 'deal with us later'. He didn't, and would later say that we had enough to worry about instead of a pointless punishment for taking the initiative.

I met him in a bar last year and we had a pint. He's retired now, too old :(

Christmas
08-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I dun want the poster above in my class ever when I start teaching. :bigsmile:

Old Manus
08-10-2010, 02:47 PM
My good looks can sometimes be a distraction

Loony BoB
08-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I had them, too, but my favourite teachers tended to have more about them than just being attractive. And let's face it, the high school girls always looked hotter than the high school teachers, and for the most part always will.

Christmas
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I think he is talking about teachers that are featured in some japanese AV videos or something. :bigsmile:

razorrozar7
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Christmas, if you really do intend to teach, how would you feel if you knew your students were using you for, as BoB put it (and no undeserved disrespect to him), "spank bank material?"

Christmas
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I will be surprised, they are usually too young to be interested in that. Unless they are genetically modified by the FBI or something. :bigsmile:

And I never said I am teaching high school teenagers. We all know Old Manus is just a spoiled elementary school kid that had yet to reach puberty around here! High school? In his dreams! :bigsmile:

Peegee
08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I think he is talking about teachers that are featured in some japanese AV videos or something. :bigsmile:

oh my god yes do want. Though usually they're ugly or the students pretend to be virgins (or are virgins) and the sex is just bad.

I had them, too, but my favourite teachers tended to have more about them than just being attractive. And let's face it, the high school girls always looked hotter than the high school teachers, and for the most part always will.

What are you talking about? Children < Adults.

Loony BoB
08-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I tend to find 16-18 year olds more attractive than I find 40-65 year olds, but that's just me. Whatever floats your boat!

Peegee
08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
I tend to find 16-18 year olds more attractive than I find 40-65 year olds, but that's just me. Whatever floats your boat!

Pretend you are 16 y/o. The teacher in question is 24 years old. Or 26. I forget things that don't matter.

Værn
08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
One of my history teachers had a contract that said he couldn't be fired for saying anything that offended his class. Long story short, his class was freaking awesome =^_^=

And my senior-year English teacher was equally awesome without said convenient contract :D

Necronopticous
08-10-2010, 05:08 PM
My favorite teacher high school teacher got arrested for taking attractive female students to his cabin over the Summer to "hang out." Are you inspired yet?

Peegee
08-10-2010, 05:17 PM
My favorite teacher high school teacher got arrested for taking attractive female students to his cabin over the Summer to "hang out." Are you inspired yet?

That's totally doing it wrong, but I like reading stories of women who do that!

Zeldy
08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Hmm, tricky, from high school it was probably Miss Fleming, not that she was nice or anything, but she was a damn good teacher. I had her for English for the two senior years, I annoyed her by talking so much, and I got pushed off my seat once and got called a "silly little girl". :( She was a class teacher though, our whole Literature section was based on the novel The Catcher In The Rye, and in our leaver's book she wrote about our class in the complete literary style of Holden Caulfield. She really did.

Infact, she wrote: "If you really want to hear about it, the message I have for the class of 2008 is how much I have enjoyed teaching them. I mean it, I really have. Boy, are those guys bright, not like the some of the phony slobs I have to put up with. But I don't want to get into that, its too depressing. If you want to know the truth, old year Eleven Set Two are all really great people who will go really far in life. I could tell you about all the madman stuff that has happened to us over the last two years but I don't feel like it, because If I do, I know I'll start missing everybody".

Had a teacher for Science called Mr Noble, man he was crap haha, He ended up not being allowed to teach senior as he was such a poor teacher, but he was absolutely hilarious. He used to spend half the lessons drawing on the board and telling us jokes. Needless to say, I failed Science that year.

Fujiko
08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
1. Mr. Kronqvist

Was he Swedish? :p

Peegee
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
1. Mr. Kronqvist

No that's totally an asian name

Shlup
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Being that several people have mentioned their TILFs, including myself, you would be correct in finding that hard to believe.

I swear you have no reading comprehension skills this week. Be less azn.

Peegee
08-10-2010, 09:23 PM

Being that several people have mentioned their TILFs, including myself, you would be correct in finding that hard to believe.

YOu only did that after I asked for it you pervert. See it says you modified your post!

I bet you if I asked your class who their favorite teacher is, they'd all say 'MRS M'

awwwww <3

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Iceglow
08-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Christmas, if you really do intend to teach, how would you feel if you knew your students were using you for, as BoB put it (and no undeserved disrespect to him), "spank bank material?"

The only person to use the term spank bank I believe was me...stop crediting BoB with my words you're giving him undeserved respect ;)

razorrozar7
08-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Oh, my bad, Iceglow. Idk what happened... but my point stands.

Shlup
08-10-2010, 09:41 PM

YOu only did that after I asked for it you pervert. See it says you modified your post!

I bet you if I asked your class who their favorite teacher is, they'd all say 'MRS M'

awwwww <3

Uhm, yeah, I went back and edited my post just as an excuse to point out your asiantardation.

And yes my ex-students would say that. I'm fabulous, you know.

And quit spamming your error message. If it's really an issue, which it's hard to believe it is since you're still posting, then keep it in the Feedback Forum.

Peegee
08-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I already posted all of the troubleshooting needed to fix the problem in the spa...stop banning me thread, but you're too busy banning me! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

btw my actual best teacher was in grade 8. High school teachers usually don't care about you because they have too many kids to care about.

OMG it's happening to this profile. Switching to Ariel profile

Cid
08-11-2010, 02:26 AM

Inspiring.

Hmm, tricky, from high school it was probably Miss Fleming, not that she was nice or anything, but she was a damn good teacher. I had her for English for the two senior years, I annoyed her by talking so much, and I got pushed off my seat once and got called a "silly little girl". :( She was a class teacher though, our whole Literature section was based on the novel The Catcher In The Rye, and in our leaver's book she wrote about our class in the complete literary style of Holden Caulfield. She really did.

Being a huge fan of Catcher in the Rye, I find this awesome. I really do.

Jessweeee♪
08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
My favorite high school teacher was recently revealed to be a child molester, so I no longer have a favorite teacher.

:(

razorrozar7
08-11-2010, 04:29 PM
o_O Traumatizing.

asukaevaunit02
08-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I have 2:

1. Mr. Bertotto, year 11 economics teacher/year level co-ordinator.
He was a great economics teacher, he explained everything really simply, in words/examples that were relevant to most teenagers. He was very patient, he would explain things several times until everyone understood the concept. For me it was a little annoying at times hearing the same thing over and over, but I'm sure it really helped the entire class who were ESL.
Also he made me want to study more. I was passing easily with no effort, but he gave me the push/motivation to actually try. In the end I ended up with the highest possible mark of 7 for those familiar with the IB diploma, as well as the highest mark for the whole year level in economics.

As year level co-ordinator he was great. He always came across really friendly and caring. He was relatively new to the school it was his 2nd or 3rd year at the school, but some how he came across as really nice, and looked out for me.
He found out about the situation I had with a girl and a best friend. He asked me into his office and asked if I wanted to chat about anything, the issue about the girl came up and he offered his advice, something a teacher had never done before. At the same time I remember his words of "as you know men think with thier ... *grin*" in reference to my mate who hooked up with my ex.

Unfortunately, after only having him as one of my teachers for 1 year, he decided to return home back to Argentina. Even then he was so nice, I actually bought him a going awy gift. I remember even on the last day he gave me so many nice words, saying that he knew I was really nice, and that I would go lots of places.

I keep in touch with him via email, but he isn't very active with it. I used to get a reply once or twice a year, but its been around a year since I last heard from him.

He would have to be my main inspiration to pursure a career as a teacher.

2. Ms. Allen, year 11&12 visual arts teacher.
Ms. Allen is a great art teacher, I had her back in year 9, and again in year 10 for an painting elective.
She is really nice and easy to approach. No matter what she would say, it would always come across really nicely, even if she was hinting that it wasn't quite right or a suggestion on how to fix something, never came across as she was better because she was a teacher or artist.
I think she always knew how keen I was on art, and really enjoyed having that enthusiasm (since some took art as an "easy" subject).. I joined visual art mid-way through year 11, she told me that she waas happy to have me in the class, because she was disappointed that I didn't do art from the start aas I had given her such a strong impression I was going to do it for my final years.

She was always there when you wanted to talk about art, new ideas, and I really valued her opinions on just about everything. I think I talked to her about every piece I did to see what she thought and I knew she would listen and be interested. She would also provide me with different points of view/art styles, which was really good since I was very focussed on a small range of styles/ideas.

Again, like Mr. Bertotto, she was happy to help me to push myself. Especially since I became very involved very soon and strived for the highest mark. She would be there to give me new artists/styles to research to further my knowledge.perspective and improve the theory side of the course.
I chose to do my extended essay in visual art, she was my supervisor, we had such a great time working on it. Her vast knowledge was amazing she had so many links outside or japanese manga to link and contrast my essay.

And also like Mr. Bertotto, she was there to talk about issues. I was very open to her about my artwork which was pretty personal/intense, and she looked out for me in a few cases, and offered me the women's perspective on those issues.
Whenever I go back to visit the school I always have amazing chats. I remember once i went back and we ended up sitting on the couch and talking about my first year of uni for 3 hours.

Wow, that is alot! But they were really great teachers, I consider them friends and really appreciate their work.
They have been my inspiration to become a teacher myself, and teach economics and visual art, just like them. They make me want to be a teacher to have moments like they gave me.

Freya
08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
My 9th grade Advanced English Teacher. She was very witty and used sarcasm a lot. It made me love her because she acted herself and not all uppity.

My Journalism teacher from 10-12th. She was younger and was just generally nice and awesome. I would bring her star bucks in the mornings :)

My World History Teacher in 10th grade for one semester. She had monty python figures around her room and would just make fun classes that made history much more interesting than the drone of "this happened then.. remember it." Which led to me taking...

AP European History. My Teacher There was an old funny man. He wasn't afraid to tell you to stop talking cause you sounded like a cawing bird. He treated us like people rather than just students. Many other teachers didn't put any effort into talking to us on a personal level. They always left it professional Student-teacher so when he made an effort to just treat us like people, we were more interested in his class and actually being there. I had it for my last class of the day and instead of thinking "ughhh I want the day to be over" I WANTED to be there.

Fujiko
08-14-2010, 01:29 AM
1. Mr. Kronqvist

No that's totally an asian name

Kronqvist (alt Kronquist) is a very common Swedish last name, PG. :p

The Man
08-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Haven't you learned not to take pg seriously yet? :monster:

Fujiko
08-14-2010, 11:39 AM
:p Just saying.

Yeargdribble
08-14-2010, 12:16 PM
The flip answer would be my senior English teacher with whom I had a torrid affair for nearly my entire senior year. She was actually a great teacher and was always ruthlessly fair on my grades despite our relationship. Odd ending... she was accused by another student of doing something inappropriate with him at her apartment. This student didn't like her and knew the fastest way to get rid of a teacher is to accuse them of sexual misconduct. I couldn't really use my alibi to his BS story.

"Umm... Chris couldn't have been there getting fondled by her that night because I was there f***ing her until 3 in the morning..."

Wouldn't have exactly gotten her out of hot water. She had to resign, but it all worked out anyway.

More seriously though, my Dr. Jeff Gershman was my wind ensemble conductor, conducting teacher, and more importantly, my Music History teacher 1800-present. He was a brilliant guy with a brilliant personality. He made things very not dry. He was very personable and good friends with both me and my wife. He taught his class in a very different way and with an unusual gusto. His class made me consider pursuing a degree in Musicology at the Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University since it has one of the best musicology programs in the world.

Ironically, right as he was filling out his stuff to be a tenured professor at my university... he was offered a job as the assistant director of bands at.... Indiana University. My last year of college was a fiasco of epic proportions and his replacement was a man I ended up having very little respect for. I lost my zeal for pursuing my masters though I'm quite happy with my current job.

Right before he left he asked me and my wife into his office and closed the door. He told us that we were the ones he was going to miss the most. We all had a bit of a tearful moment. I was really sad. Everyone loved him and everyone felt a little betrayed for a while.

But it was really a great move for me. Not only was it his alma mater, but it's one of the most respected music schools in the country and he now has the job second in command. That means he will undoubtedly be the primary conductor of the Indiana University Wind Ensemble one day.... which is a very prestigious thing in the concert band world.

I miss him dearly. He has been without a doubt the most influential teacher of my life.

blackmage_nuke
08-14-2010, 12:33 PM
My favourite highschool teachers were the ones who knew their subject and taught it. Any flair or personality was an added bonus, they can have all the flair and personality they want but if they cant answer a students questions they fall down to the bottom of the list in my opinion.

Sure someone to inspire you is good from 7-9 but after that it should be serious business, if someone doesnt want to learn, the teacher shouldnt have to force themselves to help (taking time from other more willing students), by then the students should actively seek help and a good teacher will be there to help them.

My 10-12 math teacher knew the subject very well, could help any student who needed help and on rare occaisions would make a joke.

ScottNUMBERS
08-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I had an accident in school when I was small, this bastard called student A told the whole class and they laughed. My teacher restored order then took me to the toilet and cleaned me up.

Christmas
08-14-2010, 04:47 PM
You should wear diapers to class! :bigsmile:

razorrozar7
08-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I had an accident in school when I was small, this bastard called student A told the whole class and they laughed. My teacher restored order then took me to the toilet and cleaned me up.

When I was in second grade, this :bou::bou::bou::bou:er in sixth grade thought it would be funny to tell the bus driver I flipped him off. Despite the fact that I did not yet know what flipping someone off was. When the bus driver said, "Why did you flip him off?" my response was, "But I didn't touch him!"