PDA

View Full Version : Training to beat Penance

Simen
08-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey, this is the ONLY thing I haven't beat in FFX. Has anyone done it?
I'm training like crazy now, in order to have a chance (without Yojimbo). ;)
All my characters have almost 70.000 HP, luck's at 200 + 255 on all the rest...

Goldenboko
08-11-2010, 04:40 AM
From what I understand 70,000HP should be more than plenty. 255 luck is also a must from what I understand.

Simen
08-11-2010, 09:31 AM
From what I understand 70,000HP should be more than plenty. 255 luck is also a must from what I understand.

Okay, yeah I'm beating Earth Eater and Greater Sphere over and over again now
and I'm at 230 on everyone - but it's taking a lot of time! Hate their counter-attacks. :D

Shin Gouken
08-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I did him with 40,000HP and I was silly to walk in without any pheonix downs, making auto-pheonix useless. Once you learn his pattern and settle into a rythm, it's a fairly straightforward battle. Ultimate weapons, maxed luck and near max on your other stats is pretty much what you need to do.

Simen
08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
I did him with 40,000HP and I was silly to walk in without any pheonix downs, making auto-pheonix useless. Once you learn his pattern and settle into a rythm, it's a fairly straightforward battle. Ultimate weapons, maxed luck and near max on your other stats is pretty much what you need to do.

Yeah, I'm closing in on 255 in luck, and I have 255 on everything else. :)
I also have all the ultimate weapons, and great armour with auto-phoenix...
(PS: I'll remember to buy maximum of Phoenix Down's before the battle lol) :)

Simen
08-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Okey, time to finally try to beat this guy again.
I have 255 on everything, and almost 80k HP.

Wish me luck!!! :D

Shin Gouken
08-13-2010, 01:49 PM

Good Luck :spin:

Simen
08-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Hehe thanks! I've tried many times now, but can't seem to beat him.
What am I doing wrong? I use quick hits, hastega, overdrives, aeons...

I need som advice on this guy!! :roll2

Shin Gouken
08-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Hehe thanks! I've tried many times now, but can't seem to beat him.
What am I doing wrong? I use quick hits, hastega, overdrives, aeons...

I need som advice on this guy!! :roll2

Auto Haste > Hastaga

Overdrives heavily delay your next turn so I would avoid them.

You should be hitting for 99,999HP so each arm takes 6 hits to kill which should always be priority. Use quick hits and kill one arm, then the other (max luck means you should beat his evasion) then you'll manage a few attacks before the first arm regenerates. Kill it in 6 hits and soon as it dies the second arm will regenerate which you immedietely kill in 6 more hits. The pattern is pretty simple. Auto pheonix means no turns wasted reviving. In his second form you wont need to heal, he'll only target one character instead of all 3, so just have auto pheonix take care of it. You'll need to recover MP though so bring elixers and keep up the arm slaying pattern

that's all i got :p

TidusVsJecht
07-12-2011, 04:40 PM
You might have already been told this.. I don't know, but I'll tell you anyways,

BHPL (break hp limit) is an over-rated ability

With BHPL if your character dies and is auto revived, that character will have ~10k hp which results in you using precious turns healing to full hp and auto-potion wont heal over 9,999 hp.

Celestial weapons attain their full power when a character has full hp
Lets say Tidus was killed (99,999hp) revived by auto-phoenix he now has 9,999hp even with an x-potion (less recovery time then manually using Curaga) he will still be below 50% hp and his weapon will be weakened, you would have to waste a turn of dealing 99,999dmg, and instead heal Tidus to full hp, a wasted turn if you ask me and you also lose a turn later on due to Curaga's recovery time.

Without BHPL
Tidus dies (9,999hp) revived by auto phoenix, he now has 4,999hp, you can easily use quick pockets to heal him to full hp, you don't lose a turn later on.
Also if he is brought below 50%hp, auto-potion (x-potion) will instantly heal him to full hp, without wasting a turn.

So which of these ultimate armours would you now choose;

BHPL
Auto-phoenix
Auto-haste
Auto-potion//Auto-protect//Defence +20%

OR

Auto-phoenix
Auto-haste
Auto-potion
Auto-protect//Defence +20%

Pete for President
07-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I've beaten Penance about 2 months ago. I didn't use Break HP Limit, so our strategies might be a bit different. One tip though: use some of Rikku's overdrives and Cheer to boost your defense. Use Auron and Wakka's overdrives if you can't kill the arms quickly enough. Other than that: keep your guard up, stay focussed and feel the rhythm.

As for armour, this is what I used;

Ribbon
Auto-Haste
Auto-Protect
Defense +20%

Nebulance
07-13-2011, 11:39 PM

BHPL
Auto-phoenix
Auto-haste

OR

Auto-phoenix
Auto-haste
Auto-potion

Granted, I have not beaten Penance, given that I have the US version of the game, but wouldn't you have to worry about status aliments? I tend to use:

Auto-med
stoneproof
confuseproof
beserkproof

This minimizes the need to heal for status aliments. However, Pete's suggestion of Ribbon takes care of that. His clearly is better. Auto-haste seems to be invaluable in these kinds of battles.

Pete for President
07-14-2011, 10:08 AM

BHPL
Auto-phoenix
Auto-haste

OR

Auto-phoenix
Auto-haste
Auto-potion

Granted, I have not beaten Penance, given that I have the US version of the game, but wouldn't you have to worry about status aliments? I tend to use:

Auto-med
stoneproof
confuseproof
beserkproof

This minimizes the need to heal for status aliments. However, Pete's suggestion of Ribbon takes care of that. His clearly is better. Auto-haste seems to be invaluable in these kinds of battles.

Ribbon is a pain to get, but worth it imo. However, as for Penance Ribbon is not entirely necessary. Only the arms will attack with status ailments. If you're confident enough you can kill the arms before they get a chance to attack during the WHOLE fight, you can risk swapping Ribbon for Auto-Potion or Auto-Phoenix.

I didn't risk it though. I went to battle with about 80 megalixirs. At the start I made sure I boosted some extra defense using Cheer and Rikku's Overdrive. Then all there's left is to count how many turns you need to kill the arms. If I was one turn short I used either Auron's or Wakka's overdrive. After every single Penance attack I used Quick Pockets and a megalixir to get everyone back in shape. Took about 50 minutes, but he went down eventually with about 20 megalixirs left.