PDA

View Full Version : Point and Click Adventure

Levian
08-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Ah, the greatest genre of the 90's! Sadly I don't see to many of them these days. What's your favorite though? and are you still playing them?

My favorite is Grim Fandango. Lots of great humour and enough of a challenge. Unlike certain games, you don't have to combine two obscure items and use it to do something that makes absolutely no sense! Eh, I love Leisure Suit Larry regardless!

I've seen news about Monkey Island 2 getting released for PSN, I can't wait to try that. I've never gotten really into a Monkey Island game before. I've tried one of the games, but I don't think I got far. The reason probably being me refusing to use a walkthrough and the game being insanely hard if you don't use one!

I'm also currently playing Black Mirror. So far it's quite slow, but I think stuff is about to pick up.

Chris
08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
My all-time favorite games are still: "Dracula Resurrection" and "Dracula 2: The Last Sanctuary". I have so many great memories playing these games, and I never, ever, get tired of plowing through them.

"Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness", "Amerzone" and the "Myst" series are worth mentioning, too.

MoonsEcho
08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I absolutely love the Monkey Island games, and replay them quite often. I also have a nostalgic attachment to LOOM, although I don't like it as much as the MI series.

Levian
08-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Haha, Loom. I think any attachment I have to that game is nostalgic as well. I imagine that game must be almost unplayable for most people today. :D

xXsarahXx
08-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Aww i love the monkey island games.
Am currently playing Sam and Max: The Devils Toybox series and they are brilliant so far. Some great humour in there. Max has become one of my favorite games characters!

Crop
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I did have one for the NES when I was a kid, I can't remember the name of it though. I remember that when you punched the wall, it used to say "Ouch, that smarts!" It was a fun game.

Other than that, the only other point and click games I like are the FASCO games (Crimson room etc). Shame he stopped making them.

Flying Arrow
08-12-2010, 12:11 AM
I've been thinking about this genre lately as I've been playing a copy of Heavy Rain lent to me by a friend. It's a curious take on the Point-Click genre, although the player is a lot more passive rather than active in the proceedings. It's also a bit rhythm-y with the heavy use of quick-time events and sets up some really exciting and tense scenarios. Unique, but it doesn't provide the same amount of satisfaction is a really good adventure.

Anyway, this is kind of off-topic, but I was thinking about HR in relation to the Point n Click genre last night and figured I'd mention it here. With Heavy Rain being successful (is it?) maybe there will start to be an influx of adventure-styled gaming soon.

Aerith's Knight
08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
The Phantasmagoria series, just to Riff on with friends

Syberia 1+2, probably the last point and click adventure game to come out. Great music, good story. Only problem is that it can be a little slow if you have to move 7 screens to get somewhere

And my all time favorite: Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis

MoonsEcho
08-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Haha, Loom. I think any attachment I have to that game is nostalgic as well. I imagine that game must be almost unplayable for most people today. :D

I would think so. It would be nice to get an updated version of it.

I recently played a demo of a hidden object game called Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates that paid a lot of homage to Monkey Island. It was a good game on its own, but all that MI nostalgia is what sucked me into it to begin with.

Nominus Experse
08-12-2010, 01:13 AM

Storm
08-12-2010, 02:45 AM
I had an obsession with many point and click Sierra games back in the early 90's. King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, and the Quest for Glory series were all fantastic. I think the games that stand out the most to me are King's Quest V, King's Quest VI, Space Quest IV, Space Quest V, and Quest for Glory IV. Even Inca 2 was hilarious to play.

Jiro
08-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Haven't played many of these in my time, but they've been good. Zack and Wiki was a nice new attempt at rebooting the genre on Wii.

beema
08-13-2010, 05:56 AM
man I miss that golden age of point n click.
I remember going over to my friends house and his dad would always be bringing home new shareware demos of various adventure games to try out.
Sadly I don't remember the names of half of them.
I never got in to Monkey Island... thinking about trying out the remakes.

Machinarium was a recent high profile addition to this genre, but aside from the beautiful art style, I felt it was kind of lame.

I Took the Red Pill
08-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Pajama.

smurfing.

Sam.

edit: also Shadowgate. I had the GBC port, Shadowgate Classic, and oh sweet sweet lovin' that game was the tits

Breine
08-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh gawd yes! "Point and click" adventure games used to be tha shizz back in the days!

I especially remember playing King's Quest VII a whole lot as a kid. Also Myst, and a bunch of other games I've sadly forgotten the names of.

Aerith's Knight
08-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the Myst series

Myst I, II, III, IV, V

Rase
08-14-2010, 08:52 PM
And my all time favorite: Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis
This. The Chzo Mythos are enjoyable ones also, and I remember Riven being fun, though I never finished it.

blackmage_nuke
08-15-2010, 02:25 AM
I love the Monkey Island series, particularly 2 and 3. I wish the special editions for I and II were just regular sprites on new backgrounds though (the guy brush in those special edition looks all wrong)

The Chzo Mythos is also another personal favourite of mine

Darkseed was a good game though Im not really into time based puzzles

Timekeeper
08-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Just reading the title of this thread got me all giddy.
It's by far my favourite genre, with Broken Sword 1&2, Day of the Tentacle and Beneath a Steel Sky certainly being my favourites.
Fortunately I still have all three and can play them on a regular basis :D

Old Manus
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
I loved the first Monkey Island game on the Amiga. Still needed a guide to get anywhere though. Seriously, STOMP ON THIS PLANK FIVE TIMES THEN THROW SOME MEAT FROM THE KITCHEN ON THE OTHER SCREEN WHICH THE BIRDS WILL EAT ALLOWING YOU TO GET THE NEXT ITEM left me like :|

My favorite is Grim Fandango. Lots of great humour and enough of a challenge.I heard a lot of good things about Grim Fandango, and when I got around to playing it, it was a cool game, but I gave up because it was too HARD. I probably just suck at these games :manus:

Araciel
08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
O jeez I love these kind of games... I liked the Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited back in the NES days... then the Discworld and Broken Sword games on PS1.

Aerith's Knight
08-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Two words: Space Quest

Shiny
08-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Yes, yes, and million times yes to Fate of Atlantis. It was so good that after playing the Thinking one, I decided to go back and play the Team and Fight one too. That was such a great game. I'm a big fan of pretty much of all LucasArts point and click adventures. Day of the Tentacle is another one of my favs.

RitzyRitz
08-21-2010, 12:11 AM
I would have to say that Kings Quest 5 and 6 were my favorites, Thats when the series switched from 8 bit to actual painted backrounds. 5 being my more "Loved" of the two. While 6 was good, I feel it lacked a certain something. 5 on the other hand, Had so much depth. Not to mention that stupid owl... He was a freakin pansy T_T.

Anything after 6 ( 7 , and 8) Just seem to lack the Kings quest feel. But I will say that 7 is great in terms of story, it just lacks the art that I am so fond of which is found in 5 and 6.

Dont even get me started on :rabite:8 ... Blech.