PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

Bunny
08-13-2010, 08:24 AM
I think this is the right forum. If not, feel free to move it to where ever it fits best.

My old pair of headphones (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104237) recently broke so I'm in the market for another pair. I want to get something decent that will last more than a year (my previous ones lasted for about a year and a half). As it stands, I'm deciding between two different pairs:

audio-technica ATH-AD700 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826402014) and Sennheiser HD280 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328&cm_re=HD280-_-26-106-328-_-Product). Both of them have received fairly decent reviews but are also slightly more expensive than I'd like to spend (although I would spend this much if I had to).

So, questions:

Does anyone have experience with either of the headphones I am looking at? Can you talk a little bit about them so I can get a decent opinion on how good/bad they are?
Does anyone have a different suggestion of a pair of headphones to buy?

Here is a list of what I am looking for:

Good durability. I treat my headphones pretty well but I'd still like them to have a "natural life" of at least a year.
No more than $100. I'm flexible about this but would like to keep it under $100 if at all possible.
Noise-cancelling is a plus but not a necessity.
Over-the-ear. I do not like earbuds unless I am listening to my mp3 player and even then, I don't mind picking up a fairly cheap pair for that. These will be used while at my computer.
Good flexability. While they would mostly be used for listening to music or watching a movie/televsion show, having a good set of gaming headphones would be a plus.
Warranties are a good thing for headphones because sometimes things go wrong. I'd like to stick to companies that have decent warranties available.
Not made by Skullcandy. smurf those guys.

I'm not a complete audiophile, hence the thread, but I know a little bit about what to look for and what to avoid. Any help is appreciated but I'm also looking elsewhere if nobody here can provide some.

Shiny
08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I bought Sennheiser headphones from Amazon for cheap, and one pair lasted for about 10 months, but probably because I dropped the repeatedly. They're good head phones, but the HD-201 and HD-205 are not noise canceling. I own both of those and they fit over the head. The HD-205 can hurt a bit -- especially if you wear glasses. The HD-201 is more of a comfortable fit. The best headphones I've used were the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone. They're a pretty decent price on Amazon. If they break, worse case scenario is that you can buy a warranty for cheap if you get something from Amazon.

Pheesh
08-13-2010, 06:26 PM
A friend recently bought a pair of Sennheiser headphones (that look awfully similar to the ones you linked) and I put them on and had a listen. They had a nice even mix to them, not overly bass or treble heavy. They were also plenty loud enough, although I didn't use them while drumming so I don't know how great the noise canceling on them was. They sat on my head fairly comfortably as well, although the pair I have really presses up against your head, which means I can basically shake my head and they won't come off, I don't think the same could be said for the Sennheisers.

They were good on the whole though.