PDA

View Full Version : I need your help with tofu, AGAIN! :D

KentaRawr!
08-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Before, I was just figuring out how to use tofu. Now, however, a friend of mine has told me to not eat tofu, for health reasons. He told me this:

well for one, I found out that most asian countries that produce some of it, don't use it for food, they use it as fertilizer lol
it's filled with estrogen and can screw with your hormones
and three it's just plain hard on your body
it's ok to have every once in a while, but not a lot.

Admittedly, I don't really know much about the health facts of tofu. I just wanted to figure out how to make it, learned how to make it, and liked it lots. But because this friend of mine also told me that mayonnaise is lard, I'm skeptical about what he says. For EoFF members that know much about tofu, is there much truth in what he says about this?

Pheesh
08-15-2010, 02:50 AM
I don't know about the fertilizer thing, but if something's good for plants I don't think that necessarily makes it bad for humans.

Tofu is like any food, it should be part of a normal, balanced diet. It has stuff in it that, if eaten in too large a quantity, will probably be bad for you. But so long as you balance it out then I think you'll be fine.

qwertysaur
08-15-2010, 05:13 AM
It's just soy bean curd. I'll address why your friends concerns are misguided.

Tofu does contain phytoestrogens which is what your friend is alarmed about, however your friend also has no idea what phytoestrogens actually are. They are compounds that are found in plants that are structured very similarly to estrogen.

Also if you eat any of the following then you are consuming some phytoestrogens. soybeans, tofu, tempeh, soy beverages, linseed (flax), sesame seeds, wheatberries, fenugreek, oats, barley, dried beans, lentils, yams, rice, alfalfa, mung beans, apples, carrots, pomegranates, wheat germ, rice bran, soy linseed bread, ginseng, hops, bourbon, beer, fennel and anise. :p

Mo-Nercy
08-15-2010, 05:15 PM
If rice has phytoestrogens in it as well, and it was unhealty for me in that it messed with my hormones, I'd be royally smurfed by now because I've eaten at least one serving of rice every day for as long as I can remember.

I have no idea where that fertilizer thing came from, I've never heard of that before. I certainly don't know of any asian cultures that prefer to use tofu for fertilizer instead of yummies.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-15-2010, 06:52 PM
No! Don't eat it! I told you, it is poison!

Breine
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
There is nothing wrong with eating tofu.

Fujiko
08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Tofu is so good~

Christmas
08-16-2010, 03:58 PM
http://dergrauefuchs.esix.us/Re2_TOFUPreviewpic.jpg

KentaRawr!
08-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the responses. Later in that same conversation, he ended up linking me to an article written by someone saying how tofu is turning people gay, so at this point, I'm pretty much not worried about it at all. :p

Quindiana Jones
08-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Anyone that thinks mayonnaise is lard should not be taking seriously.

Mirage
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Why would you even eat tofu in the first place? It tastes so goddamn boring.

qwertysaur
08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
You eat tofu with other things. :p

Old Manus
08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Why would you even eat tofu in the first place? It tastes so goddamn boring.Because they eat it in Japan probably

Peegee
08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
A certain forum I go to has incessant troll threads saying eating tofu will make you feminine because it has estrogen in it :P

yes I'm demanding you guys debunk this obvious troll post.

KentaRawr!
08-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Why would you even eat tofu in the first place? It tastes so goddamn boring.

Because it's versatile. :3

Mirage
08-20-2010, 03:40 PM
It's versatile because it doesn't taste anything, so no matter what you serve it along with, its taste won't clash with whatever else you're eating.

KentaRawr!
08-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Or, you can marinate the tofu to give it flavor, or stir-fry it with other ingredients to give it flavor. Or you could just have it with soy sauce and be done with it.

Mirage
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
So tofu only taste something when you add tastes from other ingredients. All right!

KentaRawr!
08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Right. :p Just like how lemonade isn't appealing unless you add sugar.

Old Manus
08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Lemonade by definition contains sugar. You're not getting out of it that easy, Kenny boy!

KentaRawr!
08-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Lemonade by definition contains sugar. You're not getting out of it that easy, Kenny boy!

Okay, well, :mad2:.