PDA

View Full Version : Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Clo
08-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Did anyone else read these books as children? (http://www.scribd.com/doc/3027880/Alvin-Schwartz-Scary-Stories-to-Tell-in-the-Dark) :(

I found them in my school library when I was 7-ish, and read all of them. Scared the living daylights out of me, and sometimes I still think of the pictures! I was reminded of the books this morning, and thought, "I cannot be the only one who was traumatized by these." :p

An example of the BEAUTIFUL, INSPIRING artwork:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9085/sc33bu8.jpg

Also, all the stories can be found on YouTube. "The Window" scared me a lot as a kid.

NorthernChaosGod
08-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh, man. Haha. I totally found a digital copy of the books like a year ago because I looked them up.

I think the first two were pretty good, but the third one just got silly and not so scary.

Raistlin
08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
With the exception of the artwork, most of the stories are pretty lame and unmemorable.

rubah
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
I always liked the story of the mexican dog/sewer rat and that of Wendigo.

Clo
08-16-2010, 01:38 AM
With the exception of the artwork, most of the stories are pretty lame and unmemorable.

Because they're written for people under 10. Things for children usually are lame to people who sometimes act like adults/might be adults/claim to be adults. The images really are the "what the smurf" aspect to this.

If you want something for adults which is unsettling, maybe try creepypasta, which is mostly lame, or maybe short stories like "I Have No Mouth, But I Must Scream" (I think I have the title right).

And I don't remember the Wendigo. Wasn't it something about people being dropped from the sky by a creature? :eek:

rubah
08-16-2010, 02:20 AM
carried up into the sky, actually. In a blizzard.

~*~Celes~*~
08-16-2010, 02:54 AM
i think one of the worst ones for me was the one with the girl who got bit on the tongue by a spider or cheek or something, and the eggs hatched out of her skin :( that and the one about the butcher shop or something and the sewer rat thing rubah mentioned.

Raistlin
08-16-2010, 03:03 AM

Because they're written for people under 10. Things for children usually are lame to people who sometimes act like adults/might be adults/claim to be adults. The images really are the "what the smurf" aspect to this.

My point being that there were much more detailed, interesting horror/thriller stories, even marketed towards kids. Are You Afraid of the Dark? and Fear Street come to mind.

Clo
08-16-2010, 03:07 AM
I'm not familiar with Are You Afraid of the Dark?, but Fear Street is marketed toward early teens.

Pheesh
08-16-2010, 03:14 AM
You guys didn't just read Goosebumps like normal kids?

Raistlin
08-16-2010, 03:19 AM
I read a ton of Goosebumps! But I recognize that most of those would now be considered pretty lame as well.

Crystal: Are You Afraid of the Dark? was a TV show on Nickelodeon. It was pretty big when we were young.

Bunny
08-16-2010, 03:22 AM
You guys didn't just read Goosebumps like normal kids?

I was never a normal kid.

I'm not familiar with Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Are You Afraid of the Dark? was one of my favorite shows growing up though.

fire_of_avalon
08-16-2010, 03:30 AM
Hell yes I did! My sister has the first one somewhere and I read it about a year ago. Still gave me the heebie jeebies.

Pheesh
08-16-2010, 03:33 AM
I read a ton of Goosebumps! But I recognize that most of those would now be considered pretty lame as well.

I think they still have the desired effect on the target audience though (assuming they're still read by kids now days, I have no idea if they're still big or not). It's not really fair to say that the stories are lame when you're well over age bracket they're intended for.

Clo
08-16-2010, 03:40 AM
I agree with what Phil says! It matters to the target audience!

And I'm glad someone else was creeped out by them, foa.

I missed out on Are You Afraid of the Dark? because I had no cable or satellite as a kid, but I think I heard a lot of the stories at sleepovers (and we did Bloody Mary! Bloody mary, bloody mary, bloody mary...)

Raistlin
08-16-2010, 03:42 AM
I think they still have the desired effect on the target audience though (assuming they're still read by kids now days, I have no idea if they're still big or not). It's not really fair to say that the stories are lame when you're well over age bracket they're intended for.

I started reading Goosebumps from when I was so young my mom was reading them to me at night. But I never thought they were as scary as those other titles I mentioned. Looking back, most of it was probably just because of the Goosebumps name and how popular it was.

Clo
08-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Pictures from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark > all Goosebumps book combined.

Bunny
08-16-2010, 03:51 AM
I missed out on Are You Afraid of the Dark? because I had no cable or satellite as a kid, but I think I heard a lot of the stories at sleepovers (and we did Bloody Mary! Bloody mary, bloody mary, bloody mary...)

A group of my friends did that one night. The next night the police found a person who was murdered with a knife (or some other sort of knife-like object) leaning against a telephone pole. It was quite the creepy coincidence.

rubah
08-16-2010, 03:59 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_tUzRAhpJFjc/Rf4Y5yg-T6I/AAAAAAAAAx4/r3DduBKdtsc/bigtoe.jpg

fear street didn't have pictures though. Scary Stories was good in its own way.

My favorites though were the Choose Your Own Adventure! Goosebumps books.

Pheesh
08-16-2010, 04:03 AM

I started reading Goosebumps from when I was so young my mom was reading them to me at night. But I never thought they were as scary as those other titles I mentioned. Looking back, most of it was probably just because of the Goosebumps name and how popular it was.

I'll agree they weren't incredibly scary (although there was one about a scarecrow that kept me up at night, and also one about some ghost in a cave or something), but they were still fairly exciting. By the time I was bored of them I was reading fear street and then I moved on to Stephen King, so they certainly filled a large part of my childhood. Also, there was so smurfing many of them, so it meant I always had something to read.

Clo
08-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Phil, Phil, you mentioning Stephen King makes me want to bring up "The Raft" again.

Because that really bothered me when I first read it! I was afraid to stick a leg over the side of the bed that night.

Also, "The Jaunt" still gets to me sometimes, too.

Pheesh
08-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Yeah, the raft is one of his best. I think I also mentioned to you once that I was scared for weeks after I read "The Boogeyman" by Stephen King, reading it back now it's not one of his scariest, but at the time it scared me half to death.

Also, Rubah, the 'choose you own adventure' books were so awesome. Except I used to cheat so bad ^_^

Christmas
08-16-2010, 05:26 AM
I laughed at the one about eating toe. :(

rubah
08-16-2010, 05:49 AM
oh I cheated too-- I just read them straight through, or started at an ending and worked backwards. I wasn't brave enough to choose interesting forks.

Shiny
08-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Oh mang, I love these books. I remember I told Stu about them. They're so good! I use to read them when I was really young and I couldn't understand why they were available in my elementary school's library as some of the photos and stories a bit off for that age group. I also loved watching Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark. My favorite episode was the one with the puppet. ;)

Clo
08-18-2010, 04:43 AM
My favorite Goosebumps was the one where they played tag with those creatures in the woods. I don't know why, they creeped me out.

Breine
08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
I didn't read those specific stories, but I did read some other similar ones when I was a kid.

We also had Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark here.

DMKA
08-25-2010, 03:34 AM
My sister had one of these books. The one with "THE VIPER" in it. It had some horrifying artwork in it alright.

I read a lot of Goosebumps myself. It only had weird artwork on the covers but nothing that could compare to what was in these books.