PDA

View Full Version : The FF7 Wikia says that FF7 takes place in 2007.

Dr. Casey
08-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Is this true?

Carl the Llama
08-16-2010, 10:55 PM
No.

Wiki's are editable by anyone.

MJN SEIFER
08-16-2010, 11:07 PM
It's not even set in our world, so it may not even use years like we do

Although are rumors that one scene hints to it being set in 1990-something, but if that's true it has been taken by fans to be an injoke in that the game was released in 1997, so dating something as 199? would be suitable.

Karifean
08-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Maybe 2007 after Eternal Calm? FFX and FFVII play in the same universe and Shinra came from Spira.

champagne supernova
08-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Maybe 2007 after Eternal Calm? FFX and FFVII play in the same universe and Shinra came from Spira.

Anger. It's cool when Squenix makes some fun references, but not so much fun when these references turn into some stupid canon to link another game to VII.

MJN SEIFER
08-17-2010, 12:08 AM

Anger. It's cool when Squenix makes some fun references, but not so much fun when these references turn into some stupid canon to link another game to VII.

Despite the X2 refference, the only FF I could potentialysee being in the same world as VII is VIII...

Crop
08-17-2010, 12:12 AM

Despite the X2 refference, the only FF I could potentialysee being in the same world as VII is VIII...

Yeah but you FFVIII nuts could probably somehow connect VIII to the world of God of War.

Wolf Kanno
08-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Actually it is and it isn't. Thank you Compilation... (http://thelifestream.net/final-fantasy-vii/107/complete-timeline-of-the-compilation-of-ffvii/) :roll2 Though its actually a bit of a typo on the wiki. The games timeline starts in 1959 (ignoring the rough 2000 year before era when Jenova arrived) of the VII calendar and after 1999, the calendar inexplicably goes to the date of 0000 for reasons unknown despite being mathematically improbable since Zack left to join SOLDIER in 1995 of the timeline.

According to VI's timeline, the game starts in the year 0 of their Calendar. with the timeline descending from the War of the Magi in the year 1000, so I'm not surprised Squenix would use an amusing number scheme and calendar system like our own. I'm surprised it didn't take place in the year 777 to be honest.

So, according to the 10th Anniversary Ultimania Omega Compilation (lord that's a mouth full) the Official Timeline of the Compilation of VII has the story starting 12/9/0007 in the VII universe. The game ends late in January of 0008. So the time is off but the information is only sort of incorrect by one digit.

The FF Wiki is usually pretty good about faq checking their resources. Its only when you read about upcoming titles or materials only released in Japan that things get fishy. The community usually puts a lot of effort into keeping everything accurate.

escobert
08-17-2010, 05:11 AM
it says 1998 on the reactor above where you set the bomb at the start of the game.

Wolf Kanno
08-17-2010, 05:32 AM
The official timeline was written 10 years after the game came out. The Ultimania series of FF books didn't start until FFVIII and the "official books" were written with the Compilation being released for the 10 year anniversary.

They retconned a lot of stuff. VII's details about the past years and "The War" is much different from what the Compilation timeline says. Hell, the compilation has a new character pop up in the Nibelheim incident and the Turks saving the world from one of the WEAPONS a year before the game starts.

This is what happens when you decide to try to make sequels ten years after the fact, you get bad retcons and alterations. I dread the the day VII is remade and they decide to "fix it" by updating the game to fit the Compilation.

Carnage-
08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Clearly FF7 never happened.

MJN SEIFER
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Yeah but you FFVIII nuts could probably somehow connect VIII to the world of God of War.

I'd have to play God Of War first (j/k).

The reason I think VII and VIII are the most likley to connect to each other (that's IF any of them do, and I'd like to point out that Square never officially stated whether they do or don't) is because I can see suposed evidence that they do, such as the maps looking close to each other (admitidly it could be the same artists) and the fact that Draw Points may be explained in VII - just a theory though, it's not necersarily canon.

I personally think that X2's mention may have been reffering to VII, to make us say "it's been done!", on the other hand maybe it's a kind of "Glass Onion", and Square knew that we'd all start theorising, as I'm sure they know by now that people have created various theories on their games.

Rad Bromance
08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Where is that person getting the months and dates for that timeline?

FFVII takes place on Earth, too. One of Aerith's limit breaks is called "Breath of the Earth" and when you go inside 7th Heaven you can see a sign that says "Texas" and has a picture of the state on it.

All that noise about it taking place on a different planet called "Gaia" is nonsense.

MJN SEIFER
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Where is that person getting the months and dates for that timeline?

FFVII takes place on Earth, too. One of Aerith's limit breaks is called "Breath of the Earth" and when you go inside 7th Heaven you can see a sign that says "Texas" and has a picture of the state on it.

All that noise about it taking place on a different planet called "Gaia" is nonsense.

I dunno about Gaia, although that IS FFIX's world for sure. FFVII isn't on Earth - all the earth reffrences litterally meen earth, not THE Earth. I think the Texas thing is just there though, I dunno why Square did it, but I doubt FFVII is on our world because they would have made it more clear - although Super Nova does argue, as it does use our solar system... I still prefer to think of them as a sepperate world to our own... but that raised an interesting point.

Meat Puppet
08-20-2010, 07:31 AM
but that raised an interesting point.
oh fuck

Mercen-X
08-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Alternate Earth, "The Planet"; they need to retcon in a character who has been through the Void into the world of say... Parasite Eve or something.

Headsnap
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
there is also reference to ff7 and ff8 in ff9.

MJN SEIFER
09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
there is also reference to ff7 and ff8 in ff9.

You can find references to ALL previous FFs in part 9 if you look... :cool:

DarkBahamut
09-06-2010, 05:02 PM
How bout' they live in our world, just an alternate timeline. Kinda like DBZ, Trunks comes from like a sub-universe.

But I think it would be cool if it took place in 1997. That way, the night 7 years ago at Nibelheim where Cloud and Tifa had their talk, would be 1990.

And btw, isn't the definition for Gaia like fantasy Earth. Isn't Gaia used when people are in an unidentified world that's exactly like Earth, except in a fantasy world?

black orb
09-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Clearly FF7 never happened.
>>> Or maybe we just missed it.. well, I`ll wait for Megaman in the year 20XX..:luca:

Sephiroth
09-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Of course it is true. Crisis Core begins with the line "In the year 2000". And seven years after that Final Fantasy VII-1 happens.